• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Diddy please ->

Irsic

Smash Ace
(you guys should have a "Critique my Diddy" thread!)

Even though I win these, I do make some mistakes but I'm also looking for more about what I'm missing from the Diddy meta game. What could I improve on? What combos am I missing? Diddy has always been my secondary but I'm taking him up now to actually begin using him when I know I should be, rather than just holding true to Lucas. SO, I need to up my Diddy game. These are hopefully me at my best Diddy.

(the 3rd match is a much closer match than the 1st one, this guy also took 5th at the MWC in Oshkosh, WI)

R1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2sNXvPBinc
R2 - I played Fox, yo.
R3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jXEDLIuEgc

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Two bad habits you have are rolling behind/into them and air dodging into the ground right in front of them...Typical combos to incorporate would be Dash Attack->Glide Toss Forwards and throw Banana Up->Utilt (:46 in Round 3), there were some times you tried to run in and punish MK's Dsmash, but I don't think thats possible, I would try to be more patient next time...Hard to judge you in a MK matchup, as I myself have had trouble in them.

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Note that you can catch bananas with aerials (this is better than an airdodge when your opponent is close, because they can punish the AD often), or with z catching, which is pretty much lagless.

I think you should work on dribbling and naner control in general -- so that you can upgrade to using 2 bananas (you get a lot more momentum).

I liked that you used pretty much all of his moves. I saw lots of tilts (diddy's tilts are win), and even some nairs / upsmashes (his underused moves).

I only watched the first match, I'll check the other one later.

fZk

Smash Lord
From what I saw in the first match.

When possible, always have two bananas out, One in hand, one in front. This limits the opponents approaches and greatly expand yours.

Learn to Z-catch.

When moving away from the opponent, don't roll back. Dashing and even walking are better options. You roll a lot.

You tried to follow up dash attacks with an utilt at higher damages, when a fair would have been a better option. They actually conect.

Mix up your banana game, some dribling and up glide toss are nice tecniques to mix it up.

Overall, nice Diddy but can be improved by a lot, I see potential.

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
i only watched the first match, i would say this:

z-catch more, it helps
work on your nanner control
follow up on your combos more
stop rolling so much >.<

but yeah, overall not a bad diddy =)

Bellioes

Smash Lord
One thing thats really a holding you back is your tendance to roll.
Learn to break that habit. What I did (am still doing actually) is watch your replays and watch when you roll. It helped me to cut down cause your usually not aware of how much you roll but when you watch yourself, you realize just how much you do it (and how slow it it -_-) and will slowly break the habit. Worked for me at least.

EDIT: Woah sorry. I didnt read the other posts until I posted this and so I didnt realize that you already heard this a lot. Sorry I couldnt really give you anything new :ohwell:

Irsic

Smash Ace
Rolling :( Man that is a bad habit. Originates from Smash64 when it was your only dodge-like option...lol. And yeah, I didn't realize how much I was doing it until I rewatched these matches...it's ugly.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
you can also instant throw the nanner from the air. It's always best to instant throw or Z catch imo.
Try to incorporate Z dropping as well. A lot of the time they'll be so concerned with the fact that the nanner is falling that they won't recognize the fact you will Fair them in the face. It's basically the same concept as throwing the nanner up to force an AD then hitting them with an aerial.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh I love the look on my opponents face when I instant throw a banana that they just threw right back in their face. I know its hard to pull off (theve got to be either really predictable with bananas or you have to have awesome reflexes) But still when you do it once, it really scares your opponent. Its like you just reflected the banana right back at them :)
I just started to incorporate the instant throw into my game and it really is an awesome AT. It makes platform levels a lot easier, the BF banana ledge pull puts the banana in the perfect position to LH a instant throw too. Im starting to really like that stage now ;)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
you gotta learn to dribble.

And full hop double nana pull instead of short hop single nana pull. Get both those bananas working, not just one.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
you gotta learn to dribble.

And full hop double nana pull instead of short hop single nana pull. Get both those bananas working, not just one.
i just dont see how people can live with just using one nana

so many new opportunities arise when you embrace the power of both naners

work on mindgaming your opponent when you approach, as to not get predictable
dribbling really helps

Kirbster13

Smash Cadet
A player isn't necessarily at their best when they're using 2 bananas. I consider it a mix-up in and of itself to stick with just one naner instead of using the usual two, it tends to lull my opponent into a less wary state.

Then again only ever using one banana is enormously detrimental to a Diddy's game overall.

Diddy has three different playstyles all stemming from whether he is going nonana, singlenana, or doublenana (I wouldn't advise going nonana against MK though, that's just giving them the set.)

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
A player isn't necessarily at their best when they're using 2 bananas. I consider it a mix-up in and of itself to stick with just one naner instead of using the usual two, it tends to lull my opponent into a less wary state.
No...he is at his best with 2...mix up or not, with 2 bananas Diddy performs better...that's not arguable. Even if he does not use them both, the fact that the second one is there gives Diddy more options which we all love. Pull out the second one whether you'll use it or not.

Then again only ever using one banana is enormously detrimental to a Diddy's game overall.
This does not make sense grammatically. Right, having two is better.

Diddy has three different playstyles all stemming from whether he is going nonana, singlenana, or doublenana (I wouldn't advise going nonana against MK though, that's just giving them the set.)
Tell me the match-up you do recommend to not use nannerz in, I'm curious.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Tell me the match-up you do recommend to not use nannerz in, I'm curious.
Don't listen to that guy. Diddy should use nanners in ALL matchups. Even against Falco. You don't have to throw nanners mindlessly, you can just place them on the stage and they will impede movement.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Once again, I'm dumb and posted on my GFs account.

Did I once say you had to use no bananas through out the entire set? Leaving the opponent just waiting for you to pull out more bananas is a mix-up all on it's own.

4RCE, I'm sick in general of you arguing against me for the mere fact that what I suggest isn't what you necessarily do at all times. When is the last time you placed 1st, or even in the money, at a tournament?

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Once again, I'm dumb and posted on my GFs account.

Did I once say you had to use no bananas through out the entire set? Leaving the opponent just waiting for you to pull out more bananas is a mix-up all on it's own.

4RCE, I'm sick in general of you arguing against me for the mere fact that what I suggest isn't what you necessarily do at all times. When is the last time you placed 1st, or even in the money, at a tournament?
He is right though...

You said that Diddy can go nonana and that is just incorrect and bad advise. You don't have to win any fancy tournaments to know that.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero

I do not know if you've noticed but I surf the boards and argue with points I do not think are correct on a daily basis. The Marth match-up is one that I argue about the most frequently. I forgot the thread but I was debating with P-1 about the match-up 2 or 3 weeks ago. Simply because I disagree with posts you make more than once does not mean I'm holding a personal vendetta against you. In terms of my tournament placings; I'm also a 16 year old IB student who has tests in the next week. Especially since this is my junior year, I'm knocking out my ACTs and SATs so I can suck out some scholarship money when I go to college. I almost went to Whobo and wanted to go to Kahoka this weekend but I probably won't.

Top Bottom