• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Welcome to the Pikachu General Discussion!
(a.k.a. social thread)

(Drawn by the ever-amazing Wiscus!)
The Ground Rules (this counts as your warning):
#1: The Global Rules still apply here. Some rules are more lax, but this is not a place to mindlessly +1 your post count.
#2: Don't reply to people who obviously didn't see rule #1.

Pikachu Xat chat room:
http://xat.com/highvoltageclan

Meet the Pikas!
*Alphabetical by username.

~automatic

Name: ~automatic
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :kirby2: :peach:
Favorite Pika Costume: Trucker Hat

Pokemon Rep: Noctowl

Captain L

Name: Landon
Main: :pikachu2:
Favorite Pika Costume: Goggles

Pokemon Rep: Dragonite

Cherished Doll

Name: Emily
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :marth: :pit:
Favorite Pika Costume: Bandana

Pokemon Rep: Chimchar

ESAM

Name: ESAM
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :popo: :dk2: :samus2:
Favorite Pika Costume: Any, especially bandana and trucker hat. Simon the Digger (goggles) and plain are meh.
Pokemon Rep: Electivire

FanFan

Main: :pikachu2: :lucario:
Favorite Pika Costume: Goggles/Headband

Pokemon Rep: Pikachu

FZ

Name: Lawrence
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :marth: :snake:

Pokemon Rep: Latias

Global-Wolf

Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :ike::jigglypuff:
Favorite Pika Costume: Default/Trucker hat

Pokemon Rep: Meganium

Jimmyfosho

Name: Jimmy
Main: :pit:

Pokemon Rep: Psyduck

KayLo!

Name: Kendall
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :zelda:
Favorite Pika Costume: Killachu

Pokemon Rep: Glaceon

King

Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :marth: :fox:
Favorite Pika Costume: All

Pokemon Rep: Typhlosion

K Prime

Name: Aaron
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :jigglypuff: :ganondorf: :fox:
Favorite Pika Costume: Goggles/Kilachu

Pokemon Rep: Umbreon

Leaf.

Name: Leaf
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: Random
Favorite Pika Costume: Gogglechu Green
Pokemon Rep: Pichu

Luckay4Lyphe

Name: AJ
Main: :pit: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :kirby2:
Favorite Pika Costume: Ninjachu

Pokemon Rep: Tropius

Outlawpika

Name: Outlawpika
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :pikachumelee:
Favorite Pika Costume:
Any, especially Red Bowchu
Pokemon Rep: Pikachu
:pikachu:

Phoenix Lord

Name: Phoenix Lord
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :marth: :dedede:
Favorite Pika Costume: Big Macinchu

Pokemon Rep: Marill

pidgezero_one

Name: Stef
Main: :ness2: :kirby2: / Secondary: :pikachu2: :dedede: :peach:

Pokemon Rep: Pidgeot

Rei-Gun

Name: Frank
Main: :marth: / Secondary: :metaknight: :falco: :ganondorf: :pikachu2: :snake:

Pokemon Rep: Lapras

Roller

Main: :popo: / Secondary: :pikachu2:
Favorite Pika Costume: Goggles/Killachu

Pokemon Rep: Growlithe

Sapphire Dragon

Name: S. Ryu
Favorite Pika Costume: Shiny

Pokemon Rep: Dragonair

Scatz

Name: Bigman/Scatz
Main: :yoshi2: :pikachu2:
Favorite Pika Costume: All

Pokemon Rep: Raichu Bro #1

Stealth Raptor

Name: Danny
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :lucario: :samus2:

Pokemon Rep: Raichu Bro #2

Terios the Hedgehog

Name: Michael
Main: :sonic: / Secondary: :pikachu2: :falco: :snake: :falcon:
Favorite Pika Costume: Gangstachu

Pokemon Rep: Meowth

Tofer

Name: Tofer
Main: :peach: :pikachu2: :olimar:

Pokemon Rep: Snorlax

Umbra

Name: Paul
Main: :metaknight: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :popo: :dedede:
Pokemon Rep: Zangoose

Urban Menace

Name: Jarel

Pokemon Rep: Mismagius

Ussi

Main: :ike: / Secondary: :pikachu2:

Pokemon Rep: Gardevoir

Vinyl.

Name: Jairo
Main: :kirby2:
Favorite Pika Costume: GogglesChu

Pokemon Rep: Snivy

Wiscus

Name: Wisbiscuit
Main: :pikachu2: / Secondary: :jigglypuff: :lucario: :yoshi2: :pt:
Favorite Pika Costume: Party Hat/Default

Pokemon Rep: Flygon

Zeroxius

Name: Ryan
Main: :pikachu2: :falco: / Secondary: :snake: :kirby2:
Favorite Pika Costume: Headband

Pokemon Rep: Zoroark

Last edited:

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'll go first. No one hate me for my opinion....

I think the Volt Tackle Videos and Tourney Results/Rankings threads can be de-stickied. The latter isn't essential for new members of the community, and the former doesn't really get updated that often..... if I had to guess, I'd say that no one really looks at it that often.

Imho, stickies should be threads that are good references for newer members since people who come here often will know where everything else is. That, or they should be threads that continuously get a lot of activity/updating, like the critique thread (which falls into both categories anyway).

We have the archive thread already, so if people want to find videos or tourney rankings, they can always look there or in the Generating A Win guide. (I'm guessing the tourney rankings thread will stay on the first page anyway since people generally go to tournies once every week or two, and our topic turnover rate isn't that high.)

EDIT: I sort of think the Stage Discussion can be de-stickied as well, but I have less of an opinion on that one.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I'd say de-sticky the tourney results and the volt tackle videos. They're good threads, but not sticky-worthy. I think the stage discussion should keep a sticky, as that's pretty useful.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'd have to agree with KayLo. We need to de-sticky volt tackle videos, tournament results, and stage discussion. All three are important enough to be in the directory but not important enough to be stickied. I mean, we have 9 stickied topics right now. It makes it kind of hard to notice the new non-stickied topics that are posted. Keep the critique thread because it's useful to new members of the Pikachu boards to get a sense how they are doing. Keep the electrifying guide stickied because it is extremely helpful in learning Pikachu, even if you have been playing him since the game came out. Character matchups are a given to stay. Every character board on this site stickies their matchup thread. Matchups are much more important in brawl than in melee. Melee relies more on tech skill, and brawl relies more on knowing the matchup and using a good strategy, especially if you're a Pika playing a marth! Keep the directory stickied so we can find other important threads that aren't stickied. The Q&A thread should stay because it keeps people from spamming the boards with new threads when all they want is a question answered. I don't really care if the social board stays or goes; we'll have to see how it pans out I guess.

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Volt Tackle Vids and Tournament Results have been de-stickied.

If anyone has a convincing disagreement to those, please feel free to voice your opinion.

I'll wait a while for some conclusion for the Stage Discussion thread.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
IMO you could get rid of alot of them that are mentioned in the archive thread, no offense kaylo or gallax, but the character matchups and the guide can be found in the archive thread for people who want to read or learn about pika, and if they are this far, at a character specific forum, they will most likely know a little bit about looking around for the threads they want. Stage discussion I believe is in the same boat as character matchups - its not essential right off the bat, and the people who will best use that information can easily go to the archive thread. that being said, I think that the archive thread could be changed a little bit like the (melee) fox boards, I enjoy that one

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I really think the character matchup guide and general guide are essential enough that they should remain stickied. They're both threads that people (newer people in particular) will want to refer to often, and they contain a lot of the main points of Pika's metagame.

It's also helpful for visitors from other boards. When I go to other character boards, their matchup discussions and general guides are usually what I'm looking for (when I want other POVs on Pika's matchups, for example), and it really helps to have those two guides right there so I don't have to search for them. Archive threads also tend to have multiple general guides and whatnot in them, so having the most recent one stickied is beneficial.

Stage discussions, not so much.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
I can see that, but if you're concerned with multiple references to a single thread, bookmarking works just as well, as I know that I do that with a thread until I don't need it anymore, that way I don't have to go searching for it. I just think that if the archive thread was cleaned up a little, and maybe mentioned the current guide for pika, or the newest or something with a star next to it or bigger font for the better guides or something that would be easier than having stickies. character matchups the same thing, just make it noticeably important in the archive thread, that way there aren't as many stickies

agree with stage discussions

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Hehe, well I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.... I still think the Generating A Win and character matchup guides should definitely remain stickied.

Imho, they're just too key to Pika's metagame to lump with everything else in the archive thread.... not saying that the threads there aren't useful or as important, but these two guides are the ones that will change and evolve the most with Pika's game. They're always getting updated (umm, about that, I still need to finish updating the guide tonight x.x) as new stuff is discovered, and if they're in the archive thread, it'll be easy to miss these updates.

Plus, for new members, I think those are the first two guides they should look at, followed by the Q&A and critique threads. It just makes sense that the basic guides would be stickied since, more or less, that's who stickies are for: new community members and visitors from other boards. It's a bonus that those two guides are useful even for more experienced Pikas.

I dunno. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Hehe, well I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree.... I still think the Generating A Win and character matchup guides should definitely remain stickied.

Imho, they're just too key to Pika's metagame to lump with everything else in the archive thread.... not saying that the threads there aren't useful or as important, but these two guides are the ones that will change and evolve the most with Pika's game. They're always getting updated (umm, about that, I still need to finish updating the guide tonight x.x) as new stuff is discovered, and if they're in the archive thread, it'll be easy to miss these updates.

Plus, for new members, I think those are the first two guides they should look at, followed by the Q&A and critique threads. It just makes sense that the basic guides would be stickied since, more or less, that's who stickies are for: new community members and visitors from other boards. It's a bonus that those two guides are useful even for more experienced Pikas.

I dunno. That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' to it.
Lol, "sticking"

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Stage Discussion has been de-stickied.

Nothing else needs to be de-stickied at this point. It seems there are now a reasonable number of stickies.

If people have any convincing evidence why something needs to be re-stickied, then please go ahead and say so. But as for now, feel free to discuss other general/social things.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
so how's everyone's opinion of brawl? Idk how many here play both melee and brawl, and at first i loved brawl, then i hated it, now i'm okay with it and melee co-existing peacefully, what are some other opinions?

i suppose i agree with the fact that they get updated making them important, but just because its in the archive thread doesn't mean its not a thread itself. you already said the nonsticky important threads will be updated like tourney results or whatever, and since we don't turn new pages over that often people will still see them. now maybe i'm looking at this from the perspective of a non-new player, but one time through the guide should be enough for basics, or playing while reading kinda thing helps too, i just have trouble thinking its that important. however doesn't matter cuz xiivi didn't wanna de-sticky it, and feels that our number is reasonable. and i'm content with that too. i do agree that stickies should be important and draw people to them and i really like your guide so i'm happy if its stickied too lol

King~

Smash Champion
um im fine with brawl and melee co-existing, i "try" and have fun with melee but it just dosent happen for me : /, and by "try" i mean learn how to do fancy stuff and apply it and get a feel for the community.

other than the CGs has anything new style wise come up for pika. guess ill just have to start trying a bunch of weird crap.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I have a love/hate relationship with Brawl.... I love it until someone starts doing something really stupid (IC CGs, ledgecamping), and then it kind of bugs me. But since that stuff exists and there's nothing we can do about it, I just try to accept it and enjoy the... not-stupid moments.

I think the community is what bugs me the most about Brawl. The Pikas are lucky since we have a bunch of cool people, but when I venture out into the general boards, I see a lot of immaturity.... and that's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I wasn't really a part of the Melee scene, but I hear all the time that the community was much better. Wish I'd been a part of it.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much agree with the decisions for the threads which were de-stickied. They're great threads, but I agree with KayLo, I think sticked threads need to be those which new Pika players or other non-pika players would want to reference without having to dig around.

I have a love/hate relationship with Brawl.... I love it until someone starts doing something really stupid (IC CGs, ledgecamping), and then it kind of bugs me. But since that stuff exists and there's nothing we can do about it, I just try to accept it and enjoy the... not-stupid moments.

I think the community is what bugs me the most about Brawl. The Pikas are lucky since we have a bunch of cool people, but when I venture out into the general boards, I see a lot of immaturity.... and that's one of my biggest pet peeves.

I wasn't really a part of the Melee scene, but I hear all the time that the community was much better. Wish I'd been a part of it.
Wow, KayLo, you took the words straight from my mouth. The more I look around the Brawl boards, the more I realize what an amazing community the Pika boards have. Seriously, you guys are all amazing. *big hugs for all the Pika-community*

Personally, I like Brawl more than Melee. I know a LOT of people will disagree with me, but I actually really like the floaty feel of Brawl and the lack of dependence on combos. Melee was a lot more like a traditional fighting game, and Brawl steps away from that. Personally, I like this. I've never liked the feel of traditional fighters, but the feel of Brawl is great.

Also, as Kaylo said, there's a big importance on knowing match-ups and strategy, rather than perfecting tech. I really enjoy the increased level of strategy, and how smarts and thinking are just as important as control and memorization. It just makes it a deeper game.

Mew.

K 2

Smash Lord
NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Not my Stage Discussions! =.......(

meh.

I love brawl. There is so much more variety than in Melee. When you play against good people, you will almost always see an new AT/trick everytime you go to a tourney.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I love both games, but I like Brawl more. Here's why:

Brawl has less hitstun. It also doesn't depend as much on tech skill like wavedashing and l-cancelling. Or the tech skill that exists in Brawl is more specialized to a specific character. No one but Pikachu can QAC. No one but Metaknight can infinite dimensional cape (even if it's banned for stalling). Diddy and Snake have very specialized playstyles that you have to practice. You can't just pick up any character and go on tech skill; you really have to know your characters limitations. Also, you have to know matchups. This is probably my favorite part of Brawl. A lot of matches depend on who knows the matchup better.

I also like the floatiness and the more forgiving ledges (with a few exceptions).

Melee has its greatness too. I would rather watch a pro Melee match than a pro Brawl match. Melee can just make your jaw drop sometimes when you watch the truly great players. It's faster and a match can turn around much easier due to better gimping abilities.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
i think melee had the best community out of all of the smash games, including 64, but 64 matches are my favorite to watch, graphics and all haha

kaylo, my opinion on that is that with a game made for a broader spectrum of patrons, you get stupid people too lol, but i definitely agree wholeheartedly about the pika community. it freakin rocks, and chat can be annoying sometimes but it sure does make me laugh my a$$ off

about matchups, i disagree, i think that melee had matchup importance as well, seeing as even if you were perfect with tech skill with a character that didnt necessarily give you the advantage, as is proven to me almost daily lol. however, i do think that the variety in brawl gives it a unique position, and brawl + kind of gives the best of melee with the best of brawl to make an even better, more unique game, which i hope to play someday!

neji32

Smash Lord
I'll go first. No one hate me for my opinion....

I think the Volt Tackle Videos and Tourney Results/Rankings threads can be de-stickied. The latter isn't essential for new members of the community, and the former doesn't really get updated that often..... if I had to guess, I'd say that no one really looks at it that often.

Imho, stickies should be threads that are good references for newer members since people who come here often will know where everything else is. That, or they should be threads that continuously get a lot of activity/updating, like the critique thread (which falls into both categories anyway).

We have the archive thread already, so if people want to find videos or tourney rankings, they can always look there or in the Generating A Win guide. (I'm guessing the tourney rankings thread will stay on the first page anyway since people generally go to tournies once every week or two, and our topic turnover rate isn't that high.)

EDIT: I sort of think the Stage Discussion can be de-stickied as well, but I have less of an opinion on that one.
**** you kaylo. JK <3
Though video thread is very essential to new members. I/kprime/5ive all update it frequently

gallax

Smash Hero
i live the video section. i think its essential for any char board. but seriosuly, we need vids against every character.

Veng

Smash Ace
yea honestly the tourney rankings isnt a latter for new players, but the Videos are.

The only problem is... ALL video threads fail because the people who want to see vids want to see: The newest weekly updated videos of the top players of the boards character. Which never will or has happened, then sooner or later the video thread gets trashed and outdated...

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The only problem is... ALL video threads fail because the people who want to see vids want to see: The newest weekly updated videos of the top players of the boards character. Which never will or has happened, then sooner or later the video thread gets trashed and outdated...
Exactly.

Also, even if it did get updated regularly, I still think it's fine in the archive thread. But that's my personal taste: I hate boards that have too many stickies.... you don't need that many, imo. An archive thread, a general guide, a matchup thread if it's good enough (ours is), a friend finder-type thread, and a Q&A thread are usually what I consider "sticky-worthy." Our critique thread is an exception since we really do need it up there.

Anyway, what's done is done, and I agree with Xiivi: I think the stickies look fine now.

I also agree with people who say matchups are more important in Brawl.... but I wasn't big into Melee, so I can't say that with too much confidence.

What do you guys think about Brawl+, though? It's getting really big here in PA, to the point where I'm practically being forced to learn it since half of our tournies in the next month or so look like they'll be centered around Brawl+.....

I'm not a fan so far. But maybe I just need more practice. Pika's fair and thunder are broken, though, and dsmash is good again.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
will they be only brawl + cuz from what i've heard so far its like brawl, and then after that its a brawl + tourney

Veng

Smash Ace
Im not sure what the deal with Brawl + is.

Its not going to ever be a big hit, Brawl is a hit because its the next game in the franchise and simply people don't want to play an old game that people wont play.

Although Melee still has its players... a hacked version will never make it anywhere.

Least its my opinion.

Edit: Kaylo I just read your post about Brawl +

Honestly I didn't realize so many people played it, I would probably like it more, because of the hitstun, l cancel and such, but I still cant see it getting too big.

Can anyone explain to me what the difference between Melee and Brawl + is? L cancel? Wavedash? Shine Spikes? Wave shine? edge guarding?

This could be my halfway point, because I'm hating Brawl more and more as I play melee tournaments and I doubt I will be much into Brawl again unless im at a tournament that does both.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
its like a medium between the two games, but it is completely different from one end or the other. basically there is no wave dashing but auto-l-cancel is there which is nice, they also changed the hitstun properties, so its a more technical game with the character variety that brawl offers. also, the infinite replay hack is amazing, and the texture hack too seems really fun

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
will they be only brawl + cuz from what i've heard so far its like brawl, and then after that its a brawl + tourney
Well, ToS is having a big Brawl+ tourney mid-May, and one of my crewmates is asking me to house a Brawl+ tourney sometime in the next two weeks. Every tourney here recently has had Brawl+ singles, and people seem more excited to play Brawl+ in general compared to regular Brawl. x.x Even when we're just practicing, there's a lot of B+ going on.

I dunno. Most of the people I hang out with didn't play Melee competitively, so instead of going back to Melee, they see Brawl+ as the new & improved version of Brawl.

Can anyone explain to me what the difference between Melee and Brawl + is? L cancel? Wavedash? Shine Spikes? Wave shine? edge guarding?

This could be my halfway point, because I'm hating Brawl more and more as I play melee tournaments and I doubt I will be much into Brawl again unless im at a tournament that does both.
its like a medium between the two games, but it is completely different from one end or the other. basically there is no wave dashing but auto-l-cancel is there which is nice, they also changed the hitstun properties, so its a more technical game with the character variety that brawl offers. also, the infinite replay hack is amazing, and the texture hack too seems really fun
Yeah, the biggest differences to me were the increased gravity, increased hitstun, auto-L-canceling, and no sweetspotting on the ledge.

The increased gravity is whatever. Didn't really affect me much.

The hitstun was crazy in the version I played.... it made combo'ing fun, but I think they went a little overboard, lol. I hear they toned it down in the new version that came out a few days ago, but I haven't played that one yet. In any case, some of the combos you can pull off with Pikachu are ridiculous..... thunder combos into itself, and fair is crazy good.

Auto-L-canceling.... every aerial just has half the landing lag it usually has.

The lack of sweetspotting messed me up a lot, especially with Pikachu. I played against Ussi's Ike, and I kept QA'ing into fsmashes and Eruptions because I'd forget that I wouldn't snap to the ledge..... x.X A lot of characters get a really good edgeguarding game from this.

If I were you, I'd just play it and see how you like it. It's a lot of fun.... they sped up some attacks, so now it's really hard to DI out of things like Pika's dsmash and Zelda's usmash/fsmash.

*Shrug* It's fun, but I suck at it about as badly as I sucked at Melee, which is probably why I don't like it.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
whats ToS? (@ kaylo)

and didn't they also make it where you have less downtime on the edge before you can drop compared to brawl? That is something I think would be handy too. personally I have never played it, only heard stories, but hopefully my friend will help me mod my wii, if nothing else for texture hacks and infinite replay :] (which is something i think everyone should have, because the replay hack offers alot especially with brawl taking more than 3 minutes for a good, worthwhile to watch match between pros)

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I know a lot of Melee players that are looking to Brawl+ because they hate Brawl. Honestly, I think there should be more Brawl/Melee tournaments together to satisfy the masses. Most people I've met like either Melee or Brawl, but I don't know any that prefer Brawl+ over their original favorite.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Oooh, I miss the chat. :( But I'm gonna be busy all week, and we all know what happens when I go to the chat.....

Top Bottom