• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tuscaloosa Competitive Smash #5 featuring RANDOM TOURNAMENT! ---June 13th, 2009

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Address for Google Maps:
706 Riverside Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

RSVP via facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=27400002&ref=profile#/event.php?eid=88761673189

that's a relatively new street, and I'm pretty sure google doesn't have it. So if it's not there, Use this one.

140 Hackberry Lane
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

which is Rose Towers, right across the street, when you get there, just give me a call 205 356 2509 and I can help you out.

For those that are coming from out of town, this map might help. The address is listed in the event info for Google Maps purposes, but really all you need to do is go I-20 West if your coming from/through GA/B'ham, or I-20 East if you're coming from/through Mississppi. and get off on Exit 73/Mcfarland Blvd--turn right (if you're coming from b'ham---left if you're coming from Mississippi) onto Mcfarland, and go straight for a mile or two, until you reach the Jack Warner Pkwy Exit. (you will pass the University Blvd and Campus Dr. exits)...the Jack Warner exit is a deep curve that splits into two, you want to take the curve on the right-hand side...then you will be at the upper-right hand area of the map I've provided above. Follow the purple line. Turn onto hackberry lane, it is at a stop light.. After that take the first left, you will see Rose Towers to your left (building 204 on the map). Riverside is to your right...and the building the tournament is being held at (the yellow dot with the black X/building 141) is behind the building that you initially see on the right when you turn in. The purple circles are the ideal parking places. On weekends, you won't get ticketed unless you park in a spot that isn't a real parking spot (like in the grass), or in a handicapped spot. Also avoid faculty (green) spots, i'm not sure if they ticket you for parking there, but to be on the safe side, try to avoid them. Use the map to find the building, if you need help, call me (Kevin) at 205 356 2509

Date: June 13
Time: 10:00am - 11:00pm
Street: 140 Hackberry Lane, Tuscaloosa, AL
Phone: 205 356 2509
Email: kevindarnellpeterson@yahoo.com

Proposed Schedule
9 A.M-11 A.M -- Registration/Friendlies/Warm-Up
11 A.M-3 P.M. -- Doubles Bracket
3 P.M. - 4 P.M -- Lunch Break/Last Call for Random/Singles Registration
4 P.M. -- Random Bracket Begins
5 P.M -- Singles Pools Begins
8 P.M -- Random Bracket and Singles Pools Should be done
8 P.M-11 P.M -- Singles Bracket

Entrance fees : $10 for singles, and $10 per person for doubles. $5 for Random Tournament
Meaning if you want to enter brawl Doubles and brawl singles as well as Random, you will need $25

PRIZES for all tournaments :

IF MORE THAN 25 PEOPLE/TEAMS ENTER any tournament, the top four will get paid, and the split will be
1st. 60% 2nd 25% 3rd 10% 4th. 5%

If less than 25 entrants: 1st 60%, 2nd 30%, 3rd 10% of the prize pool.

If, randomly, we gain over 50 entrants, I will considering paying out top 6

BRAWL RULES:
3 STOCKS
7 MINUTE TIME LIMIT
ALL ITEMS OFF, EVEN SMASHBALLS.
TEAM ATTACK ON (For Doubles)
STOCK SHARING IS ALLOWED
METAKNIGHT IS ALLOWED (Learn to play the game, nubs)

Want to try the ultimate test of pure Brawl Skill? Try our $5 Random Character Tournament, where everyone must pick a random character. Rules are the same as above, with the following additions.
Every player must choose Random as their character.
Each player is allowed ONE "mulligan" per set. This means that if the game starts and you strongly dislike your matchup, you may restart the game ONCE and ONLY ONCE per set. If you mulligan, and the game gives you the same matchup, YOU MAY NOT start over again, you must play the match. You only get one, one, one, just one mulligan. And this must be done before ANY damage is done in the match. Immediately restart the match if you don't like the matchup. Also, mulligans do NOT roll over to the next match, you only get ONE per set.
If you random Sheik/Zelda, Pokemon Trainer, or Samus, you must find time during the course of the match to switch characters, your opponent is not required to give you time to switch. Stage Banning, and stage counter picking will be as normal.

LASTLY,

NO JOHNS.

If a round ends with a Suicide move, such as Bowser's and Ganondorf's foward B, as well as Kirby and Dedede's swallow suicides, Sudden Death will NOT be PLAYED, the match will be awarded to the player who initiated the suicide attack.

Neutral Stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise, Smashville

Banned Stages: Green Hill Zone, Hanenbow, Corneria, Green Greens, Mushroomy Kingdom [Overworld/Underworld], 75m, Rumble Falls, Bridge of Eldin, Wario Ware, Distant Planet, New Pork City, Skyworld, Temple, Yoshi's Island (Pipes), Onett, Spear Pillar, Mario Bros., Mario Circuit, Flat Zone 2, The Summit, Big Blue, Pokemon Stadium 2, Port Town Aero Drive, Shadow Moses Island, Luigi's Mansion

Every other stage is available as a counterpick. Note: Pirate Ship is now UNBANNED

You may use stage strike method, instead of random stages on the first match.

Additional Info:
BRING. YOUR. OWN. CONTROLLER. I will not provide ANY controllers whatsoever. It's up to you to find one to use. We will not wait all day for you to find one, either.)
You may use any controller you like (wiimote, wii/chuck/gamecube/classic). Please note, however, if you have any controller issues whatsoever, you either find a new controller in 5 minutes or less or forfeit your match. you may map your controls anyway you like.

If you have a modded wii, the only allowable hack that affects gameplay is no-tripping hack. Other non-gameplay affecting hacks such as longer replays are allowed, but other than that, no hacks. No "I would have won if I played on the modded wii"-Johns.

If someone needs your TV to play a tournament match, please get up. Kfanx.

In the case of a Wii/TV malfunction, if the players can't agree on a solution, this is the official ruling: if any rounds have been completed, they will be kept, but the match during which there was a malfunction will be started completely over, although characters and stages must be the same. But if the two players can agree to something reasonable, that's fine.

Don't do dumb **** like any sort of freeze glitch, and stalling the match is banned. Note: Camping is not Stalling. Stalling is when it is clear that you don't intend to play the match or engage your opponent. Moves such as Metaknight Infinite Dimensional Cape Glitch and Sonic's B stall under the stage are banned.

IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge and plant your feet onto the stage (I.E within one or two seconds) if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match.

The only controller mod allowed is the removal of the springs in your L and/or R triggers. Every other control mod is banned, and you will be DQ'd if caught using one. Mods that are purely cosmetic/aesthetic are allowed, such as paintjobs/lights. Turbo buttons are banned. You may use controllers that have this function, but you are not allowed to use the turbo. If you're caught you'll be DQ'd yadda yadda.

Again, BRING SET UPS. Even if you can't bring a full set up, BRING SOMETHING, whether it is a TV, a console or a game, or a surge protector.

NOTE: the address listed here is actually that of Rose Towers which is across the street. The actual address of the place isn't on google maps. Call Kevin at 205 356 2509 if you need help getting to the place.

Call, message, or email me, if you want more detailed rules about how the tournament works.

The Official Get George a New Wii Fund
I meant to do this last tournament but didn't get around to it. Our friend George had his wii mercilessly stolen at Clash of the Titans IV, so we decided we would start a fund to buy him a new one. I will be taking donations of any size at this tournament.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
IF YOU "PLANK" i.e Ledge Stall, you MUST immediately get off the ledge if your opponent has clearly moved to the other edge of the stage and has stopped engaging you. IF you do not, you will be DQ'd for stalling the match.
:p

I will come!... unless May 16th happens to be graduation day. I'll have to check on that. If that happens, about 10-15 less people would show up. :ohwell:

I accept all random MMs!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Hehe, random tournament.

I'm pretty sure Jeff, Robert, and I can't come to this, as I'll be out for summer vacation (and thus nowhere near Tuscaloosa)

Expect to hear Louisiana complaining about how good I am teehee.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
:p

I will come!... unless May 16th happens to be graduation day. I'll have to check on that. If that happens, about 10-15 less people would show up. :ohwell:

I accept all random MMs!
can you check when graduation day is, because I can make this another weekend. but I need to know, like really soon.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Adding a mulligan was a great idea.

I should be able to make this.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
im pretty sure i will be able to come to this....and i will avoid the fiasco that was my last appearance for now i will have plenty of sleep
Not sleeping for a tourney is a smashing tradition. I did pretty ok the last tourney I went to with no sleep.....no denying I would have done better (maybe not in placing but overall) with sleep though. haha

Winnar

Smash Lord
PIRATE SHIP UNBANNED WHAT IS THIS?!

Ike, anyone?

I don't know about this. If I get CP'd pirate ship I'm going to be pretty pissed XD

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
whats wrong with the 16th?

well it don't matter, because

as it turns out, i can not have this tourney on the 16th. i'm going to try for the 23rd, I will keep you posted.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
i mixed it up with vulcan so i was freakin over the date because vulcan is on the 18th

im a dork

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Might wanna change the title of the thread, Janitor. Some people might get confused (like me). I guess it's not "officially" that date yet, but...

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Pensacola, FL smashers have been wanting to come to an AL tourney for a while now. I'm especially interested in the random tournament.

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town on the 23rd so we won't be able to make this one it seems. I hope the random idea sticks around for the next one as well.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL smashers have been wanting to come to an AL tourney for a while now. I'm especially interested in the random tournament.

Unfortunately, I'll be out of town on the 23rd so we won't be able to make this one it seems. I hope the random idea sticks around for the next one as well.
If you noticed, the date is unconfirmed, which means it may not be in may, or at least that weekend.

Also, I'm def coming to this.

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
this stinks. I will be in h-town in June instead of right down the freaking road from the tournament...oh well at least i might catch some smashfests while im there

TiekoForever

Smash Rookie
Ohh i hope i can find a way to make it to this because i would do all of the singles, doubles, and random tournys. Your thinking of May the 23rd? if so, what were the times again?

TiekoForever

Smash Rookie
Oh my bad i just saw that it can't be held in may, which is actually good for me now, because graduation is in may lol. So yes if you do find the date in June i would love to know. Because i can bring my console, controller, and game. :]

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I've been wanting to go to an Alabama tournament for some time now. The 8-hour drive tends to be an effective deterrent, but summer vacation allows for a lot more flexibility. Maybe I'll be able to get Louisiana to come to this.

If we do come, is there someone that would be able to provide housing for Friday/Saturday night?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I've been wanting to go to an Alabama tournament for some time now. The 8-hour drive tends to be an effective deterrent, but summer vacation allows for a lot more flexibility. Maybe I'll be able to get Louisiana to come to this.

If we do come, is there someone that would be able to provide housing for Friday/Saturday night?
possibly if me, george, an nu are in our apt we might be able to...but it may be around 30 minutes out of the way I think

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
That would be pretty awesome. Thirty minutes isn't bad at all. I guess keep me updated, and I'll let you know what Louisiana thinks as this gets closer.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I changed my mind guys...i'm banning Luigi's Mansion

I would ban Jungle Japes, but I'm going to let you guys play me in it this time jsut to prove how dumb it is

Pirate Ship is Still legal though. I had some folks CP it in TN and I guess its alright.

also... I think I"m going to Pay out top four instead of top 3 (assuming we have at least 25 entrants...don't want to screw first place)...i agree with Chad's sentiment that fourth had to beat a lot of people to get fourth (usually) and they didn't tie with anyone, they should get something.

TiekoForever

Smash Rookie
Pirate ship is fine, but as long as those bomb cannons don't decide to hit me while i fight i will be ok with it. haha
Jungle Japes? Im cool with that one to, its not that bad for me though.
Yeah i recently started playing on Luigi's Mansion and i see how it would be banned again.

Ruse

Fox

Manko and I are interested in going, but we'd need housing.

We'd probably bring two set-ups if we can attend.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
don't worry guys, i will bring teh maylayz

and why oh why is the pirate ship banned? That stage can have the best music if you put it on gerudo valley.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Pirate ship is ********. Everyone completely changes playstyle on this stage and any match played here is automatically a joke.

Japes is also ********. That should be obvious. Freaking Peach and Falco and maybe DK mains always making me have to ban it.

Also no planking and random tournament is awesome, that makes up for Pirate Ship IMO.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Pirate Ships alright.

You have to change your playstyle on pretty much every counterpick, really. I'd rather play on most CP's than something like Rainbow Cruise, but there's really no reasonable excuse to ban RC so, pirate ship isn't that bad by comparison imo

Japes is extra ********, but ppl don't seem to realize that..so I'm going to CP it a lot at this tournament and prove to people that it should be banned.

Top Bottom