• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Be creative; Practice.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So, I sat down last night and turned on my wii and started practicing for Whobo. By myself. Not online, just in training mode on battlefield.

Silly right?

I thought so, but I'm determined to be at the top of my game for Whobo, and since I don't really have anyone to practice with often I just practiced by myself. I worked on movements, platform usage, edgeguarding ideas, teching, effective ways to react to banannas throw at your shield, buffering moves, good patterns, etc.

While doing this I was also thinking about match-ups, and would see exactly how much range a certain character had over me, all my kill %'s, easy ways to force airdodges. I thought of a ton of things for a lot of match-ups that for some reason I just haven't previously thought of, even while playing other people. I thought of how to consistantly space better, how to condition easily, as well as other things.

I've never felt more confident in my skill. Simply sitting down and practicing for an hour or two opened my mind to so many things.

So I just wanted to share :). Sit down, practice, be creative and test things out. Even if they don't work well you will still broden your understanding of the options available to you and how to make good use of them. GW is a very straightforward character, so many people playing him seem to hit walls when it comes to getting better. Practicing like this though can help you get past that. Practice things and understand why something you thought of might be useful, THEN practice it against someone in a real match. It works :p.

That's all I have for now. Take care guys, and good luck with the tournaments.

7ACE7

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Hylain good idea. That could be very helpful considering I am one of those people that sometimes feels like I hit a wall sometimes with my Gdub. But Gdub is great and when I discover something new with my Gdub it's exciting. Maybe this will help me get over the wall.

Neb

Smash Lord
Good, good.
Its not the easiest thing being creative with G&W sometimes, :{.

Good Luck at Whoboo man.

Noa.

Smash Master
I would honestly do this on strange counterpick stages like Norfair or Brinstar. They tend to have quite a few tricks along with the occasional glitches. And going over matchups theoritically is very important as well.

Nice post Hylian.

lou4222

Smash Lord
Yea Hylian I did the same thing. We have the second Midwest circuit event here this weekend and are expecting 100+ people. Ally, Anther, AlphaZealot, Overswarm, Judge (among other top players) will also be there. I want to so badly to be on the top of my game as well. Hopefully I can get a good number of my matches recorded and post them on here. Rep the GW at Whobo Hylian!

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Creativity consists in having good ideas that others do not frequently have.

Who knows yet whether any of the things you thought of will actually work, Hylian, but the first step to creativity is having a lot of ideas. ;)

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
Actually Hyian playing levels 9's all day is what i did in melee with GW. thats how i became the best with him. its actually a really good idea to do your moves alot. somthing i havent been able to do in brawl, and honestly maybe the world isnt ready for NOJ to have the game lol. the world was never ready for melee GW vids, and you never will be

Blad01

Smash Lord
Being creative in training mode is really good and all, but the hard part comes after : Apply your ideas in a tourney set, and make them work... And both are hard ^^

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
my guess for "buffering" a move is countering it. thats what i always thought it as
Umm, no.

To buffer a move is to enter an input such that the game enters a state such that your input will be processed at a later time.

Brawl's buffering system allows you to buffer an input that will process at the next available opportunity. You may buffer inputs within a certain time frame before that opportunity; entering an input too long before that time will cause your input to be lost, and further restrict buffering for the next few frames (I don't have exact info on this).

Game and Watch actually gives insight into how this mechanic works, with that weird Chef annoyance where he uses Chef five times off one B input. I theorize that the buffer floods some queue with the input, which is irrelevant to most moves since the extra inputs will be discarded while executing the first one; but for Chef, each successive B triggers another use of Chef even while waiting for one flip to finish.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I saw you get a 9 in tournament lmao.

What's cool about G&W is that most of his solutions for dealing with random nonsense are pretty straightforward too LOL.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Guys, I cannot stress how much this helped me at Whobo. I was playing amazingly well in tournament, and felt like it was because of the practice I did on my own before :).

Also, I think I'm starting to notice something with bucket braking that makes it work better, but I can't actually tell and it seems like it's in my head haha.

Whenever I get hit away and need to bucket brake I FFnair/Bucket like usual, except I started pressing toward the stage immediatly when I bucket and it seems to give me some small momentum toward the stage, rather then just stopping. It might just be in my head though haha, but I was living to like 180% in tournament matches >_>.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian's hitboxes extend more than usual on his smashes!!! he has secrets and doesn't share jk. GG's at WHOBO
Haha I do share people just don't believe me :/.

And yeah, good games :).

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
Training mode is actually something I do a lot, recently it's been in Melee to touch up on my tech. But when I need to train for Brawl as well I'll pick the character I want to train with and practice with that character to get a good feel for him/her. I watch videos of better players and then I go to training mode to apply what I've learned from the videos if I'm by myself.

Good post though Hylian, and I'm glad you did well at Whobo.

napZzz

Smash Hero
I use training mode with snake alot and its good for brainstorming new ideas and what not to use with explosives. I'm sure its just as good with game and watch. Good job pointing it out.

Top Bottom