• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ATs: Glide Drop, Weak Glide Toss, and More (Now With Video)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Note: Please make sure you have watched the videos before commenting. Thanks!

I'm making one thread for this because they are all inter-related. I'm very excited right now but I want to definitely give credit where it's due here.

Ingulit posted this thread and video: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227686 showing the sliding z-drop. He wasn't sure if it was a Fluke or what.

So my friend Jihnsius and I spoke for a while and after some deliberation he managed to figure out how to do it. Note that all of these must be nearly frame perfect, so you may have to slow it down to 1/4 in training mode to pull these off the first couple of times.

Glide Dropping or The Ultra Fabulous Supermodel Shuffle (UFSS):

Many items, but not all can be dropped in this way. To perform, hold L or R and tap left or right. Then, QUICKLY release R/L and the control stick and QUICKLY tap Z to drop the item and continue sliding. The problem is that you are immobile after you drop it. However, after that, I discovered a few things of my own, listed below.

Characters that can perform *roughly* in order of longest distance traveled:

Donkey Kong (very, very long distance, surprisingly so)
Zelda
Game & Watch
Meta Knight (duh)
Sonic
R.O.B.
Zero Suit Samus (does not work with suit pieces)
Ivysaur
Diddy Kong
Samus
Squirtle
Peach
Captain Falcon
Snake
Ice Climbers (interesting note, this technique will separate the climbers like glide tossing)
Wario
Pikachu
Marth
Pit (barely moves)
Fox (barely moves)
Wolf (seriously, barely moves)
Olimar
Jigglypuff (she moves so little I almost didn't notice it and didn't include her, but technically she does move)

Note that some characters can perform retreating UFSS, but all of these characters can face away and perform the technique for spacing purposes.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqImRJUXxAw

Weak Glide Tossing:

As it turns out, some characters create items that cannot be dropped, so in these cases, we have effectively created a weak glide toss. Suit Pieces, Bananas, Turnips, and a few other items produce this effect (so ZSS will WGT her pieces instead of dropping them). As a side note, Link and Toon Link cannot Weak Glide Toss. However, their bombs are affected. This has some interesting properties and of course leads to some interesting findings.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqImRJUXxAw
VIDEO 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVezocdi2uI This video explains the difference between a Glide Toss and a Weak Glide Toss.

So here you go...

Peach's Turnip Dashing:
To perform, hold L or R and tap left or right. Then, QUICKLY release the control stick and QUICKLY tap A just before Peach turns around to flub the throw. Note that if you wait too long or don't throw it fast enough, Peach will throw the item too far. Then, catch the item with A and repeat. Using this, it is possible to dash quickly across the stage by catching and releasing the turnip. This technique can slide Peach very, very far if done with good timing. We are talking a little less than half the distance of FD, a little over 1/3 of FD. So basically, Peach can travel the distance of FD by using this three times. It is also possible to travel less distance.

Diddy's Wheelbanana:
To perform, hold L or R and tap left or right. Then, QUICKLY but not until the roll is about to start, release R/L and the control stick and QUICKLY tap A to flub the throw. Then, dash toward the banana and perform a kartwheel to pick the item up just before it lands. I believe these can be buffered, could someone with frame debug please test it? Like Peach, the timing must be frame perfect, however if done correctly Diddy will be able to juggle the banana across the stage in a continuous non-stop motion. Pretty cool.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqImRJUXxAw

R.O.B.'s Dreidel Dash:
This is very easy due to the length of R.O.B.'s UFSS but the window is still very tight and I still recommend playing on 1/4 speed the first few times you try this. To perform (while holding the Top), hold L or R and tap left or right. Then, QUICKLY but not until the roll is about to start, release R/L and the control stick and QUICKLY tap A to flub the throw. Then, grab the Gyro before it falls to the ground. This is similar to Peach's Turnip Dash. If done correctly, R.O.B. will slide about half the length of Final Destination very quickly and snatch the Gyro out of the air. You can actually chain this. It reminds me a bit of the Mortar Slide.

Minor Bomb Chase:
This is really just an extension of the Weak Glide Toss but is worth noting: Link and Toon Link of course cannot perform the UFSS or Weak Glide Toss, however Toon Link's Bombs are affected by the WGT rule. This means that any of the above characters can perform a Weak Glide Toss using Toon Link's Bombs should they catch them. Many characters can catch these in the air after throwing them including DK, ZSS, Meta Knight, R.O.B., and probably a few others.

A Strange Exception:
Link's bombs cannot be Weak Glide Tossed or Glide Dropped. The throw animation actually cancels any and all movement, stopping the character in his or her tracks.

Unfortunately I don't have video capture equipment. If someone could make a video... that would be awesome. I'd love you forever.

Edit: Clarifications

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Also I'd like to point out that from this it was also discovered that glide tosses can have varying degrees of tossing. Play around with tilting the c-stick to the diagonals to see for yourself, I only bothered with finding you can down-throw an item so it bounces just above your head rather than way up high.

EDIT: It's also of note that glide dropping cannot be done with any naturally occurring items except Peach's beamsword. ****, imagine if Peach could retreating glide drop a bobomb.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Sounds quite interesting. I'd test this out, but I have to head out to class right now. I hope there will be a video up by the time I get back.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Updated the thread with list of characters who can perform UFSS. Also, updated the thread with a new R.O.B. technique using the Weak Glide Toss that is similar to Turnip Dashing.

Sounds quite interesting. I'd test this out, but I have to head out to class right now. I hope there will be a video up by the time I get back.
I hope so, too. I'm leaving for a while. If anyone comes up with a video, please post it for everyone to see. Thanks.

hiROI

Smash Lord
In the Peach portion of the thread, Its pretty similar to the Free Pull with cstick we discovered, the whole traveling 1/3 distance thing.

Ozone.

Smash Rookie
Does it really deserve to be called ultra fabulous supermodel shuffle? Other than that, seems cool.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Does it really deserve to be called ultra fabulous supermodel shuffle? Other than that, seems cool.
:laugh:

I think the people who discover it do have the right to calling it what they wish. Still, what name or names might you suggest? I'm thinking "Z Dropping."

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It's a pretty awesome name IMO. :laugh: It could be called something different though, like glide dropping. But that was already suggested, by the OP no less.

Supermodel said:
Like Peach, the timing must be frame perfect, however if done correctly Diddy will be able to juggle the banana across the stage in a continuous non-stop motion. Pretty cool.
You have to admit that sounds awesome.

Ozone.

Smash Rookie
Its a cool name it just that I cant imagine saying "whoa he just pulled off the ultra fabulous supermodel shuffle too good".

See what I mean? Z dropping FTW.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wow, very interesting. I'll try this out later.

I still like Ultra Fabulous Supermodel Shuffle.

I'll probably just call it Ultra Fabulous for short.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I actually didn't name that, Jihnsius did (nice guy :laugh:). He also called it "Glide Dropping" a few times so if you're looking for something less Ultra Fabulous there you go.

YUS something going for ROB!

If I can get it right I'll record it.

EDIT: ok I did it but it's very hard to do (with ROB.) He throws the thing way too far to catch it usually.
You need to make sure you're throwing the item at the right time (Before the roll even starts, really).

If anyone can make a video, that would be great. Even if you have to do it in 1/4 mode to pull it off. Just need a video record of this stuff.

Noa.

Smash Master
I think that just Supermodel Shuffle sufices. It sounds good enough.

"Did you see that Diddy use the Supermodel Shuffle?! He went across the stage doing some crazy ****!"

I think it sounds cool.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
@ dryn: Z-dropping is just regular dropping without the "glide toss" part, like Link Z-dropping bombs

I like the sound of Ultra Fabulous Supermodel Shuffle :)

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
You could also think of it as a supermodel stripping herself down before strutting the catwalk.

/corny

If anything else I'd vote glide dropping, since it's essentially a glide toss with the toss replaced by a drop (and variations.)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Updated OP to reflect the new name (call it either, you know which one I probably prefer... :laugh:) and added a new minor note about Link and Toon Link's Bombs.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
What item did you use to test it? Was it a random smash item or a character item?
Home Run Bat at first. We also tried a other items, but the distance is actually the same regardless of which item you use. Note that character items cannot be Glide Dropped with the exception of Peach's Beam Sword Pull. Character items are always WGT'd.

As a matter of fact, the Glide Drop is so rare in competitive play that it's hardly worth mentioning if not for the fact that it's the precursor for the other techniques here. The real ticket is that it lead to the discovery of the Weak Glide Toss (and is actually the same technique, just with a different set pf items and different result).

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
Wow, your soo awesome for finding this out.
Woohoo for Diddy and Peach!

They deserve it ^_^

Noa.

Smash Master
Home Run Bat at first. We also tried a other items, but the distance is actually the same regardless of which item you use. Note that character items cannot be Glide Dropped with the exception of Peach's Beam Sword Pull. Character items are always WGT'd.

As a matter of fact, the Glide Drop is so rare in competitive play that it's hardly worth mentioning if not for the fact that it's the precursor for the other techniques here. The real ticket is that it lead to the discovery of the Weak Glide Toss (and is actually the same technique, just with a different result).
Interesting. If a character can't do the glide drop, then can they do the weak glide toss? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but just making sure. And do all different character items yield different results?

Honestly, it's just better that I glide toss them since G&W's glide toss is too good and he can't even do the supermodel shuffle, but I'm asking just for the sake of knowing.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Interesting. If a character can't do the glide drop, then can they do the weak glide toss? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but just making sure. And do all different character items yield different results?

Honestly, it's just better that I glide toss them since G&W's glide toss is too good and he can't even do the supermodel shuffle, but I'm asking just for the sake of knowing.
The character items all go different distances themselves but the characters travel the same distance regardless, I believe. This is just more testing I need to do.

I'm almost sure that if your character can glide toss forward or backward, it can weak toss forward or backward respectively with some exceptions. An example of the exception is Luigi, who can glide toss downward but not forward (I believe?) and cannot weak toss at all. At first, I thought all characters who could glide toss forward or backward could also Glide Drop, but that isn't the case, because Marth can't Glide Drop.

Noa.

Smash Master
The character items all go different distances themselves but the characters travel the same distance regardless, I believe. This is just more testing I need to do.

I'm almost sure that if your character can glide toss forward or backward, it can weak toss forward or backward respectively with some exceptions. An example of the exception is Luigi, who can glide toss downward but not forward (I believe?) and cannot weak toss at all. At first, I thought all characters who could glide toss forward or backward could also Glide Drop, but that isn't the case, because Marth can't Glide Drop.
Idk, then I might test it with G&W, just to be sure. He has one of the longest glide tosses in the game, so there's a good chance he can glide drop. Not that it would be useful, but might as well check.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Idk, then I might test it with G&W, just to be sure. He has one of the longest glide tosses in the game, so there's a good chance he can glide drop. Not that it would be useful, but might as well check.
Turns out you're right, Game and Watch can. I'll update the OP.

...And so can Marth. Let the record state that my timing with Marth and G&W's GD sucks.

So that seals it:

If your character can Glide Toss forward or backward, they can also Glide Drop and Weak Glide Toss forward or backward.

Noa.

Smash Master
Turns out you're right, Game and Watch can. I'll update the OP.

...And so can Marth. Let the record state that my timing with Marth and G&W's GD sucks.

So that seals it:

If your character can Glide Toss forward or backward, they can also Glide Drop and Weak Glide Toss forward or backward.
Heck, glide tossing is very difficult to do with G&W. It requires stupendous timing and I myself have trouble doing it.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
OMG you figured it out! Awesome ;.; I knew I wasn't crazy! And one of my friends said that every tech in Brawl had to have been found by now, that I just did something someone already knew about... but I was right! :D

I'd be happy to upload any videos you have on this for this thread. Just send any replays to me and I'll host. And thank you both for figuring it out; knowing it was something cool makes me glad I noticed it and recorded x)

Top Bottom