• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unnamed Tournament of Doom - Stockholm, Sweden [CANCELLED - DUH!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Melee Singles + Teams, Brawl Singles (maybe Brawl Teams), Regionals, maybe Crews.

This is currently still in its infant stages (like, barely conceived), but I know a guy who knows a guy who owns this venue that's a youth center that can hold, um, 300 or so people and if I tell my guy to ask his guy, we'll be able to get it for free (which means the entry fee would be set pretty low, set only to compensate for gas money and TV rental costs). And the venue is in Stockholm (capital city of Sweden)!

Which is why I'm planning on hosting a tournament there sometime this fall, preferrably after people get back from their stinky summer vacations (the vacations, not the free time) and before school/university starts up again.

It's been a while since we've had a major tournament in Sweden, so I want to make this a huge international tournament with at least 100 people. Since the venue will be free, we'll be able to afford tons of TVs.

The venue is called Föreningsgården (click here for more information) and is located in Täby. Täby takes approximately 40 minutes to travel to from Stockholm Central Station.

Why is this venue so good? Well, for one thing, it can hold, like, 300 or so people. When I say hold, I mean we'd be packed like sardines (if we're all in the same room), but, hey, tough ****. It also has multiple rooms + one giant room. So we'd have the tournament matches in the two largest rooms while the rest could be used for sleeping. If push comes to shove, there's another youth center within 2 minutes walking distance from the venue. We might be able to rent it for sleeping and use Föreningsgården strictly for Smashing. Also, this venue has been "rented" (leeched for free) before by the aforementioned friend for four consecutive days, so this could be a potential 4-day tournament!

As for housing before and after the tourney, I know of a place called Proxxi that's a basement that's been remade into a hang-out place for nerds. Lots of computers (with Internets!) and boardgames + a room with a projector and couches. You can go there for free if it's only the one time, but the fee to become a member is a mere 20 SEK (less than 2€). The best part? You can sleep there for free. I'll probably be a Keybearer by the time this tourney rolls around, so as long as I'm with you, you have free housing (though I expect you to pay 20 SEK to support the people who run the place). We can easily pack 20-30 people into the venue if people are OK with sleeping under desks and practically spooning each other (you so are). 2€ and you have unlimited housing before and after the tourney, guaranteed. This venue is also within walking (and seeing) distance of multiple sources of food. Incidentially, the venue is located at Tekniska Högskolan, a stop you will have to make on your way from the Central Station to Föreningsgården, so no additional traveling is required!

The Föreningsgården venue also has a kitchen with all of accompanying appliances, including a microwave (tsk, tsk, °UÇK) and even a cupboard full of spices. Just don't nick anything (the cupboards are also filled with foods).

Furthermore, the venue faces the parking lot of (IIRC) the largest mall in all of Sweden (more on that here), taking up 55,000 square metres and housing over 160 shops, stores and whatevers of all kinds. Sushi, Chinese, Pizza, McDonald's, Burger King, convenience stores, GAME, GameStop, whatever, it's got it all.

Yes, I said GAME and GameStop. So if your controller breaks down, fret not. Walk the, uhm, 200 meters to the mall and buy yourself a new one!

I will not be hosting this alone. Mostly because I'm lazy but also because after being a part of the tourney scene for a good number of years, I now know that the more organizers, the better. I'll try to organize together a team of Stockholm Smashers of which I might not even be the boss because that'd require a lot of responsibility on my part.

If Hack (Uppsala Smasher) and his merry band of, uh, Uppsalians, are game, they can join in the organization, too.

As for food, there's the mall. I'll also see if I can offer to cook for people. This would require people to sign up beforehand so we'll know how much food we'll have to stock up on. If there's any food left over after everyone's had their share, we might be able to shill it to people who haven't signed up pre-tourney. Or we might be able to offer last-minute sign ups before running off to buy extra ingredients, but it might costa bit extra.

Sorry, Amsah, no vegan alternative (or you could just eat only the vegan stuff we cook, which will usually be cooked separately from the meats). The prices would be set at a reasonable level, much cheaper than restaurants and McDonald's.

If prepared food will be offered, I'm going to need help in the kitchen. Samochan, I choose you! Any other takers? And there will definitely be pie this time (no stinking German lard to masquerade as butter). Also, I'm taking suggestions for tournament names!

So, what do you guys think? So far, I've managed to rope Amsah and °UÇK into promising to go. And that's pretty much it :p.

Cliff Notes-version:
* Free venue
* Free housing before and after for a maximum cost of 20 SEK/less than 2€.
* Possibly 4 days!
* Crews/Regionals!
* Let's make this huge!
* Close to largest mall in all of Sweden (55,000 square meters of shopping!)
* There might be prepared food!
* There will be pie!
* Mainly Melee. Some Brawl.

Signed up (unconfirmed and tentative):

Organizers:
Yuna
C (Sparken!)
Potential organizers:
Hack
Random-ness

Kitchen Staff:
Supreme Overlord:

Yuna
Potential Slaves:

Samochan
Random-ness (?)
Yomi-no-Kuni

Entrants:

Austria:

Alyr (calling his superior)
Gheb_01 (Brawl)
Lukas
Morph_blue
Pasi (so groped ***** by Yuna this time!)
Rj
Sagl

Belgium:
Wisl (bringing teh chocolate!)

Denmark:
Abild (Brawl)
DJ~wizzle (Brawl)
Eagle (bringing the feathers!)
Navn (the Danish are invading!)(Brawl)
Oni Nick (doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom)
stelzig (bringing the Danish n00bs!)(Brawl)
Thias (Brawl)

England:

Fuzzyness
Hurricane Rev (Brawl)
J03
Willz

France:

Achoral
Blad01
Mrik
porc
Slhoka (the demon from France)
Salepâte
Tsuna
Wii Lee

Finland:
Peki (bringing the Finnish lame tactics!)
Samochan (the 2nd best female Smasher in Europe... next after Yuna)

Germany:
°UÇK
.NRG (now with more energy!)
.Tero
drug_duck
kJab
Makkura
Timo (slightly interested)

Iceland:
Stormblast and his merry band of Icelandics (Icelandic?! Is It True?!)

Netherlands:
Amsah/Nihonjin
Aqua (Brawl)
Boku (Brawl)
Flob (Brawl)
Gaki (Brawl)
Gmoney (Brawl)
istudying (Brawl)
ivootjes(nr18)(looking forward to getting groped by Yuna again)
Jeffzor
Marc (Brawl)
Lawrencebot
rebax (Brawl)
Tersie (Brawl)
UchiaJP
Utto (rocking the pink dress)

Norway:
Acherontic
Chiko(rita)
Neasala (Brawl?)
NorwegianLink
Zephy (Brawl?)

Spain:
Marcbri (if this gets bigger than Lyon)

Sweden:
Armada (bringing the shota sexiness)
Ajp_Anton
Athkore (Sweden)
Calle W
Kurenai
Niño
Nizro (bringing the stolen sandwiches!)
Random-ness (possibly helping out with hosting)
Seala
Smasher89 (bringing teh Wii!)
VJ

United States of Meta Knight:
Mew2King (maybe)(Brawl)

Unknown Origin (Doomland?):
Greward (Brawl)
Yomi-no-Kuni

Samochan

Smash Master
D:

If this becomes real huge, I'm sure to attend and get some money, as it's fairly close by. Might be even better if planes from Oulu start to actually move outside finland, which would be the cheapest option for myself (unless peki can drive us via car to helsinki/turku). People from southern regions of finland are probably interested as well, since it's almost pathetically easy to get from there to stockholm.

I also approve timing that allows people to come before school starts. If the date becomes set early enough, I can start collecting money real early and quarantee no work overlaps this one.

But hey, what advantages would I get for cooking to people? :lick: Also how much time would it take, since I prolly wanna play casuals a lot and tourney matches.

Since I've been hosting triweeklies on a youth place, I prolly know fairly well what to expect. And I expect something awesome, like air conditioning and sofas. :p But I wonder, does the place has vending machine and mattresses/blankets/pillows like ours have?

This'll prolly be weekend long too no? And will you host both melee and brawl or only melee + crews or sumthing?

Since the venue is free, the entrant costs should be of that moderate amount to ensure really good prices and cover the gasoline and tv costs, but still be lower than on most big tourneys and affordable. :3

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
OP updated with the following:
* More info about the venue
* New info about free (or almost free) housing before and after the tourney
* The tourney will probably run for 4 (four) days.
* Info about Brawl (or possible lack of thereof).
* Crews/Regionals.

D:

If this becomes real huge, I'm sure to attend
You're coming. You have no choice.

But hey, what advantages would I get for cooking to people?
Part of the proceeds. It won't be much. And the glory of Smashers being thankful for you for your helping them. But the money won't be very good, most probably. Because we'll need a large kitchen staff and people are cheap, so they won't be willing to pay too much for food.

And tips. We'll have a tip jar.

Also how much time would it take, since I prolly wanna play casuals a lot and tourney matches.
You will still have time for casuals. If we're going to be providing prepared food, I'll try to gather together a kitchen staff large enough to not require anyone to work for more than a few hours (2-3) a day, at most. And it'll be totally OK for people to run back and forth between cooking and playing tournament matches to keep things going.

And I expect something awesome, like air conditioning and sofas.
No air conditioning AFAIK (I've never actually been there in the summer, but I don't think they have AC. ACs are almost unheard of here in Sweden. There'll be fans, though. I'll bring mine (I have two)). There are a limited number of sofas.

But I wonder, does the place has vending machine and mattresses/blankets/pillows like ours have?
It has a coffee machine. And why would we need vending machines when the largest mall in Sweden is literally within 200 meters (that's around 700 feet to you Brits) of the venue?

This'll prolly be weekend long too no?
I want it to be 4 days.

And will you host both melee and brawl or only melee + crews or sumthing?
Crews will be on the schedule. Brawl will be on the schedule if enough people want it. Melee is obviously on the schedule. Regionals are a must. Crews for fun (4-5 people per crew) is a possibility if there's enough time and people want it.

Since the venue is free, the entrant costs should be of that moderate amount to ensure really good prices and cover the gasoline and tv costs, but still be lower than on most big tourneys and affordable. :3
Yes, the entrance fee will probably be around 5€ at most.

oh ok then where would we be staying ? i would like to come to this to finish people lol
Before and after the tournament: Proxxi
During the tournament: Föreningsgården

This sounds too good.
It'll be great.

If I come I could help in the kitchen, if it doesn't ake up half of my evening :p. Will this be only melee or melee + brawl?
As I told Samo, if enough people volunteer for the kitchen, it'll only take up 2-3 hours a day, tops.

Melee is a must. Brawl is a possibility. Depends on the interest.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
If you really want to fill up the venue I think at least brawl singles is a good idea. But if the venue is free then proceed with melee only. I really would probably not come for only melee though. But hey I'm just an individual.

Sweden is very cool though :(

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you really want to fill up the venue I think at least brawl singles is a good idea. But if the venue is free then proceed with melee only. I really would probably not come for only melee though. But hey I'm just an individual.

I see Brawl singles as a distinct possibility. But not teams.

So we'd have the following tournaments:
* Melee Singles
* Melee Teams
* Brawl Singles
* Regionals (Melee)
* (possibly) Crews (Melee)

Sweden is very cool though :(
Yes, it is. In the summer, the sun is still out at, like, 2 in the morning.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'm sure Brawl players will come if there are Singles and Teams :) (Coming for one tournament only would not be worth it...).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm sure Brawl players will come if there are Singles and Teams :) (Coming for one tournament only would not be worth it...).
It's a matter of whether or not we have the time for it. If there are enough people interested in going and who want Brawl teams and Singles, we could dedicate one tournament day to Brawl with both. But that's an "if".

Samochan

Smash Master
go tell m2k
Oh yea, him. :p

Traveling around europe this fall

But he'll need to accomodate his timetable for this if he wants to come and not vice versa, since many people in europe still go to school and others go to work, so this tourney should be timed with those considered and not just because one person demands some exact date. But yea, m2k WILL demand brawl singles at least cause he wants to win money lol. I'm sure if we have 4 days, there's enough for one day of brawl me thinks.

HURRICANE REV

Smash Ace
It's a matter of whether or not we have the time for it. If there are enough people interested in going and who want Brawl teams and Singles, we could dedicate one tournament day to Brawl with both. But that's an "if".
I would be interested if brawl is there.

.NRG

Smash Rookie
interested,

flensburg near danish border , so this location is better for me than the location of many german tourneys lol

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Sweden definately >> France. And if Lyon stays 96 participants max it'll be a no-brainer. Put me, Aqua and Flob on the interested list for now.

agreed, I'll try attend the bigger one/ with better players , this or super lyon. and if lyon stays with 96 max... by now I'll just wait to see what happens. since travelling to France is way cheaper for me than travelling to Sweden D:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If there will Brawl teams + singles I'll try my best to go there. This sounds utterly amazing.

:059:

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
If SL4 turns into 96 participants only, then I will be very interested in going to this instead.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because of the apparent high demand (and because we'll probably have 4 days), Brawl Singles is in, Brawl teams is a maybe, but a strong maybe.

People who are expressing your interest in coming, please specify which tournaments you would like to participate in so I can keep a tally on how many people are interested in Brawl Singles and Teams.

It's nice to see interest is being generated for this, especially from the Finnish who seldom travel (and apparently there are Finnish who have never travelled who are interested in coming to this). I will discuss possible dates with my "guy" this weekend.

Tiersie

Smash Ace
The people I've mentioned would come for Brawl singles + Doubles and Melee singles + Doubles. The rest would be epic casual play. Since we suck quite hard in melee. But do acknowledge it as the better game. ( No discussion please.)

VilNess

Smash Champion
Good scheisse, Yuna. Make it so that the schedules for tournies won´t delay, and if there ain´t time for all the tournies then it´s better to leave something out.
Also lets put a rope from the ceiling so we can hang people if they get caught for stealing >:) .
or just do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmuUGY-sZ0

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
But UToD isn't the best shortening
Only to Norwegians (stinky Norwegians!).

What about this:
T.H.E. C.A.K.E. I.S. A. P.I.E. (of Doom!)
Tournament Hosted (by) Europeans of Christ-like Amazing King-filled Empowering International Sombre Awesomeness and Precious Improbable Epicness (of Doom!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom