• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer In Brawl+

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I'm really sorry to continue this trend.

I've been experimenting with Pokémon Trainer in Brawl+ recently, and I find the + additions interesting, to say the least. I honestly have not clocked a lot more than 3-4 hours of game time, so I'm going to try to stay away from "This move should do such and such, and this move should be faster, etc" suggestions. However, I don't think I need a lot of in-game experience to comment about the Brawl+ switching system for Pokémon Trainer.

I'm sure you're all aware of the specifics of the current switching system, so I won't spend time discussing the changes made from the unhacked game. However, I do want to speak about the concepts behind each system.

Sakurai's original system was very harsh and inflexible. Although the Pokémon function much the same way as Zelda and Sheik (with one additional character, of course), Sakurai went to very extreme measures to make sure that his new character would be played as a team, with absolutely no exceptions. Stamina alone severely gimped each of the characters (Squirtle the most), but forced switching upon death to the next Pokémon in the rotation ensured that Sakurai's team structure would not be ignored. This was my main problem with the original system: It did not do an adequate job of mirroring the actual team mentality of the Pokemon games.

For those of you unacquainted with the Pokémon games, you function as the Pokémon Trainer of a group of up to six Pokémon that you use cooperatively to defeat as many other teams of up to six Pokémon you can using a limited number of moves slots (4 per Pokémon). Up to this point, Sakurai had correctly paralleled his Pokémon Trainer character with the corresponding game. However, this is what he failed (and in fact created the exact opposite) to incorporate:

The Pokémon Trainer uses his team of Pokémon in differing ratios each match; he minimizes the amount of time an unfavorable Pokémon spends in the match and maximizes the amount of time the Pokémon best suited to defeating the opponent is out on the battlefield. These ratios change as the opponent's condition, strategy, and Pokémon on the field changes.

This style of play is almost impossible to achieve in standard Brawl minus in a few select match-ups (For example: A match-up like Olimar where you can use Ivysaur to build up damage and then bring in Charizard [who is typically the worst in this match-up] to get a kill), and almost always requires you to "sacrifice" a Pokémon when you're at a high percentage to eliminate the worst match-up (Like Marth, where you would switch in Squirtle once Charizard is at high percentages since sending in a fresh Squirtle would probably cost you another stock). I contribute the difficulty in playing this way mainly toward Sakurai's choice to use a fixed switching order.

I was very excited about Brawl+ because I felt that a lot of the unfair switching mechanics that Sakurai had made would finally be eliminated and PT would be able to play a lot closer to his game. However, I find that Brawl+ also violates the ideology of the Pokémon games, at least partially.

The current Brawl+ system has "four ways to play" (lol) the original Pokémon Trainer character: Either his original form with some switching mechanic changes or you can choose one of the individual Pokémon without switching. Here's my question: Why even include the individual Pokémon on the CSS? Each one of them is inferior to the "No switch on death, no stamina" PT for the simple fact that they are identical except for the fact that Pokémon Trainer has the ability to switch but does not have to if he does not want to. And this is where Brawl+ does not correctly mirror the Pokémon games:

When a Pokémon faints, it is unable to fight until it is revived. The Pokémon Trainer must then send out a different Pokémon to take its place on the battlefield.

Without any of Sakurai's original mechanics, you have simply created three different characters that share no "real" tie to each other, ala Zelda/Sheik. Especially in Brawl+, where Squirtle and Ivysaur don't have as much of a problem getting kills, there is no point in sending out the Pokémon that do not have the best match-up versus the character you are fighting against. Thus, I offer the following suggestion that creates a definite difference in the styles of play between the three different Pokémon and the Pokémon Trainer:

When any of the PT's Pokémon die, you will be forced to switch to the Pokémon one forward in the rotation unless you hold the R button, in which case you will be forced to switch to the Pokémon one backward in the rotation.

This I feel will match the Pokémon game the closest. Even if you simply switch to one Pokémon back in the rotation, stall out your invincibility, and then switch immediately, it will cost you some percents, and, if your opponent correctly anticipates it, possibly lead into a larger combo that will cost severe percents. It also makes sense in the context of the Pokémon games:

Charizard fainted.
Ivysaur is sent out.
Use Revive on Charizard/Switch Ivysaur out to Charizard. (Admittedly, this would be two turns)
Charizard takes damage on the turn he switches in.

Or, if you sacrifice the Pokemon next in the rotation so that you can switch back:

Switch Charizard out (low health) to Squirtle.
Squirtle faints/Use Full Restore on Charizard.
Charizard switches in at full health, does not take damage on the turn he switches in.

This also differentiates Pokémon Trainer from one of the three individual Pokémon, and gives pros and cons to choosing each: "Do I want the versatility of a team and the ability to change play styles or do I simply want to use one the entire time?"

Finally, it also causes you to think more strategically about your current percent and what Pokémon you are not only currently but also what Pokémon you want to be in the near future.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if it is possible to implement these changes. However, I really think these kind of changes would make the switching system a lot more balanced than the original Sakurai system, yet also not as unrestricted as the current Brawl+ system.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
There's not much that I can really say to this. Your response and counter-idea is obviously very thought out, and works great in context to the original games.

I approve of your idea, because "No switch on death" does kind of ruin the difference between the individual Pokemon and Poketrainer.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
While your idea should be implemented, I still want to keep inde. pokes because some people prefer to just play with 1 pokemon for the entire match.

Revven

FrankerZ
Thing is, originally we HAD the two separate, PT without the no force switch code and just no stamina AND the independent Pokemon. For some dumb reason, the "Hold R to autoswap" was put in instead and the no force switch code was brought back into play yet, we still kept the CSS. Why? I dunno, I'd prefer this:

Autoswap for PT but still keep no stamina and Independent Pokes on the CSS for those who want to only use Squritle, Ivysaur, or Zard (this disables their Down B btw).

D

Deleted member

guise i think link shud hav liek hearts becuz he dosont have percentage in his game and he dosnt mirror his game rite.

But seriously, a character's gameplay style does not have mirror the mentality of the game it comes from, on everything else, I agree.

cman

Smash Ace
Thing is, originally we HAD the two separate, PT without the no force switch code and just no stamina AND the independent Pokemon. For some dumb reason, the "Hold R to autoswap" was put in instead and the no force switch code was brought back into play yet, we still kept the CSS. Why? I dunno, I'd prefer this:

Autoswap for PT but still keep no stamina and Independent Pokes on the CSS for those who want to only use Squritle, Ivysaur, or Zard (this disables their Down B btw).
He suggesting that the autoswap for PT be allowed to go to either of the pokemon that was not in play previously, rather than the forced direction that existed for PT (even in brawl+).

Rudra

Smash Ace
While we're talking about PT in Brawl+, I think I should bring this post from the Code Q&A topic.

I'm not too sure about the double UpB myself, but if there's some cooldown lag between the first and last UpB (just a little, so that (s)he could fall a bit further after the first), I wouldnt really have a problem with it. As it stands, the only tool Ivy has to take care of edgehoggers is Razor Leaf, but I *think* with this code, Vine Whipping them would become a feasable option, and make Ivy's recovery a little less gimpable overall. (It would also be "fair" when considering Zamus can do it multiple times and has 3 jumps, and TL/Link/Sheik do not have to rely on it as much, while Ivy/Oli has to, though that's just my opinion.)

However, it does strengthen an inherant character weakness that (s)he has: Recovery. Ivy's already pretty tough to deal with in the air and even moreso on the ground. Actually, Ivy can be compared to VBrawl Link in that way: Great ground game, decent air game, good projectile (projectiles for Link), but a really bad recovery. Should we really strengthen Ivy's main weakness, even if its just by a little? And what of Olimar? He's plays pretty well too right? Should he get another chance to UpB too when its one of his main weaknesses (Aside from killable Pikmin)?

I'm pretty neutral on the matter as it stands, but I'd love to hear what you guys think about this...
Should Ivy have a second chance at UpB'ing while recovering? Oh, and also this:

Pretty much this.
Though I would wonder, would a "Hold Z to skip a Pokemon on Death" (Like allowing Squirtle to switch to Charizard on death, or Ivy switching to Squirtle on death, ect) be possible with normal swap on death otherwise? It may help PT take advantage of a situation better, though it may not be necessary.

Of course, Stamina should still stay out of PTs Pokemon. Forcing a timer on them is just unfair imo.

EDIT: Scraaatch that. I think your idea's pretty much the same, if not better.

ResumeDPosition

Smash Journeyman
I think that the TC makes a good point overall, maybe have it so that holding R upon death will bring out the next pokemon, holding L will bring out the previous one, and holding nothing will send out the one that just died again.

Almas

Smash Lord
I'm inclined to agree that we need to think through the method of Pokémon selection at this point. The issue arises in that many people only want to play one pokémon. It'd be nice to cater to their views: but at the same time, this will often end up killing the uniqueness of the trainer.

One change I do like the idea of is keeping the trainer with his forced switch mechanic (maybe letting him switch forwards/back, maybe not) and stamina, but instead giving him a small bonus: such as slightly increased damage for all the pokémon attacks. The independant pokémon would be available as well.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
Hmmm, so Pt's finnaly getting attention in B+. I was obssesed with him before I went on here and discovored the tier list because I thought that he was the best because he was versatile. But I was wrong. Anyhow, nice idea. It ups his versatility. No more double to triple switching.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I think that the TC makes a good point overall, maybe have it so that holding R upon death will bring out the next pokemon, holding L will bring out the previous one, and holding nothing will send out the one that just died again.
why? you have to be consciously thinking to switch then. i think leave in the auto switch on death but include a hold R to skip two pokemon (i.e if charizard was just out ivy would come out instead of squitle). if you leave it so they can just keep being the same poke over and over again then what's the point of having the individual pokes?

edit: forgot to mention that i REALLLLLY like retro gaming's ideas.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Something like that would be great.

It still gives those who just want to play as one Pokemon the option to due so while making Pokemon Trainer his own unique character as well.

It gives you advantages to play as either style. You could just select one Pokemon and never worry about having to switch to get back to that one Pokemon, but still have the worry of an opponent handling the matchup better than you expected and now being stuck as this Pokemon. On the other hand you could play as Trainer and be able to switch if the match's momentum changes or if one Pokemon doesn't do as well in the matchup as you hoped, but you are still punished for switching. Being able to go forwards or back while switching would be amazing to prevent having to double switch.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
TL;DR Version That I Didn't Tack Onto the Original Post

While your idea should be implemented, I still want to keep inde. pokes because some people prefer to just play with 1 pokemon for the entire match.
Just to clarify, my idea is to make it so PT must switch from the Pokémon that just got knocked out to either the next Pokémon in the rotation or the Pokémon before it in the rotation (Two forward in the rotation) but not the Pokémon that just got knocked out upon re spawn. Along side this, Independent Pokémon would still exist for those people who don't want to have to use more than one Pokémon. There would be no stamina for either option, since there is no reason to encourage switching when switching is already mandatory or impossible.

Also, this wasn't in the original post but if its possible to switch forward/backward with just the actual Down Special, then that would be really helpful, as well.

ResumeDPosition said:
I want it so that whatever Pokémon just got knocked out can absolutely not come back if you select Pokémon Trainer. If you can keep sending in the same Pokémon, then not only is there no point to the Independent Pokémon on the CSS, but you really destroy the unique "team" quality of Pokémon Trainer. I want both options to be available, because they offer pros and cons (Mainly PT's versatility vs Solo's dependability), and makes Pokemon Trainer available in two styles; a less restrictive team structure and a non-team style that restricts you to one component of the team.

tnemrot said:
guise i think link shud hav liek hearts becuz he dosont have percentage in his game and he dosnt mirror his game rite.

But seriously, a character's gameplay style does not have mirror the mentality of the game it comes from, on everything else, I agree.
My reasoning is that Sakurai's original vision of how Pokémon Trainer should function as a team was not only flawed but impractical, being one of the main reasons he is placed so low in the standard Brawl tier list. Brawl+'s aim was to make the standard version of the game more balanced. These are my suggestions to balancing the switch system to make it so that Pokémon Trainer still needs to function as a team but isn't crippled for being one. I just used the actual Pokémon game examples to show where Sakurai failed to consider the flexibility of his system, but also why Brawl+'s current system robs Pokémon Trainer of his "unique" team effort. It wasn't my intention to imply that every single aspect of every single character needs to be canon to their game; this is not only subjective but also virtually impossible.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Retro, I completely agree. Really good points, and it does help to give specific advantages and disadvantages to playing the trainer. This is probably the best solution I've seen so far for the PT.

Swordplay: You do realize that what you just argued is pretty much irrelevant to the thread, right? Retro isn't arguing for option C. No one here is. Retro is offering a way to tweak A and B.

Rudra: If ivy is deemed to need another upB after all we've done for him... then we've done something horribly wrong. Ivy is meant to **** onstage, which is balanced by how easy he is to gimp. Take that away, and you not only have a boring character, but a borderline broken one. If ivy needs any more buffs, they will be to his onstage game. Not to his upB.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, independent pokemon should not be able to switch.

I like the idea of giving some kind of buff to trainer pokemon though, in addition to forced switching. It would keep it more in line with the pokemon games too, since independent pokemon would essentially be "wild" pokemon, which should be weaker than their trained counterparts. But it also works in the context of Brawl+, since it makes up for the inherent disadvantage of forced switching (not always the best pokemon for the matchup, 3x harder to master the character, etc.). But yeah, being able to choose which one comes out next is absolutely necessary.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
lol your right leaf. I didn't read the whole thing and I should have.

Okay that sounds like a really good solution retro. But I have 2 concerns.

The amount of time you have to push and hold R to go backwards.
(this has been proven to be a problem in the past. When we tried the switch/no switch option the code ( at least the one I tried ) had really strict fame input requirements)

This code probably desynch's online.

What I DO like about this code is that you don't have to learn 3 pokemon to play PT.

You can just go Ivy>Char>Ivy>Char and never even have to learn squirt. Makes the character easier yet more unique than its VB version.

At the same time, you can still choose individual Pokes from the CCS

Roxas215

Smash Lord
But some people actually mains 1 pokemon. Like me. I recently picked up ivy and he is a beast in brawl+. But i only want ivy lol.

However i will admit having solo pokemon does get rid of the uniqueness of the char.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Phillyrider: I want the PT character to have forced switching in either direction of the rotation (player's choice) but for there also to be Individual Pokemon you can select on the CSS.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!

I was originally gonna QFT this (^^) but then i read this (vv)

EDIT: oh, and btw, you can dl my CSSes here, but only if you use the tweaker or know how to change a .b+ file into a .txt file

Phillyrider: I want the PT character to have forced switching in either direction of the rotation (player's choice) but for there also to be Individual Pokemon you can select on the CSS.
forced switch, but player's choice? What an interesting idea...

I've always disliked the idea of No Swap on Death Unless Shield is Held...it just gives you too much control without any negatives. The original idea was to have forced-switch PT and no-switch wild pokemon, which would form a balance between the two. The former would have the auto-counterpick advantage and the negative of having to learn multiple pokemon. The latter obviously is reversed. However, I was afraid that more people would simply gravitate toward the wild pokemon, with a forced switch still being too much of a limitation. Retro's idea seems to be the happy medium I've been looking for.

Just a few comments. I'm assuming that being able to code it isnt a problem, but what exactly would the code be? Hold nothing to go forward and hold R to go back? Would it be in any way possible to code a one-second buffer/stall between death and respawn, during which time pressing shield will send you forward in the rotation and pressing grab will send you backward? Obviously, pressing nothing before the second is over will send you forward. All in all, I like the idea. A lot.
Also, we have the problem of the blank spaces on the CSS messing up, but thats definitely a minor issue.

WeirdoZ Inc.

Smash Apprentice
Yea, definitely remove the "No swap on KO/Hold shield to swap/not swap" code and bring the Wild/Independent Pokemon to the Plussery codeset and definitely implement the "Hold shield to swap backward on KO and Down-B" idea (if possible).

Also, we have the problem of the blank spaces on the CSS messing up, but thats definitely a minor issue.
I don't understand the issue. Shouldn't the Wild Pokemon slots just replace the current 3 slots for Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard?

Foresight

Smash Rookie
I personally liked the wild pokemon setup and was upset to see it removed. I also agree that PT should have forced switch on death. I also think that the player should be able to choose who they switch to, both on death or down-B. By default it should cycle normally, and if the player holds shield it should cycle backwards. We should be able to do this, right? The only thing we need is a code to cycle backwards(or forward twice, same thing), which shouldn't be too hard.

I like PT, but I cannot play Charizard at all, the only thing I could ever do with him was **** bosses. It would be nice to be able to switch between Ivysaur and Squirtle when you're playing someone really fast. I really liked Wild Squirtle, playing him without that annoying kid telling me what a great job I was doing was nice. ;)

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Being a PT main, although I absolutely LOVED having playing each pokemon individually, I still noticed that they still weren't truely independent, since even the solo pokemon had the easy option of down-B. And that, i realized, defeated the purpose of individuality. No only that, but the PK trainer spot on the Character Select Screen became redundant. Something needs to be done.

I really like the idea you propose, Retro. It offers a more apparent distinction between the trainer option and the... erm... "Wild" Pokemon option. Like others have stated, however, the actual application of the forward and backward switching may be tricky; how much of a time window after the pokemon was KO'd should we have to determine whether we switch backward or forward? Which buttons should be used? etc.

I fully support this idea though. And yes, the individual pokemon should be unable to switch to a different pogey (to further mirror the whole "trained vs wild"spirit of the Pokemon games).

EDIT: I've also been thinking that the Trainer should keep the whole stamina trait; just not the stamina traits of regular Brawl. The way I see it, a trainer main has a significant advantage here (3 characters available, and the ability to switch backward gives you the ability to avoid that one bad matchup, whereas with the "Wild" counterpart... you'd be in for some trouble). Under Retro's proposal, trainer would be the more advantageous choice; he may need some sort of stamina setback to keep him in check.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
If down B will be nullified for individual Pokemon, is it possible to swap moves from other characters to fill their down B?

IE: Give Charizard Bowser's down B

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If down B will be nullified for individual Pokemon, is it possible to swap moves from other characters to fill their down B?

IE: Give Charizard Bowser's down B
we're unable to swap individual moves atm.

In the future we may be able to, but I wouldn't count on us giving the wild pokemon new down Bs.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I've been saying this ever since the new set came out except i didn't think about the holding R idea. I think this is the best solution. PT forced switch but can choose and individuals must stay the same through the entirety of the match.

I do like what you said as well Almas. I think PT's Pokemon being a little different as far as power or speed wise would be a great incentive to play him. This way people will think twice about just picking the wild pokes.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
This is the way I think it should be. It will mostly mirror other opinions, but I want to give my two cents.

1)PT auto swaps always. Whether or not we make a way to swap backwards is irrelevant, but PT does not have the option to stay as he is.

2)Wild Pokemon do not have stamina, but the player can stay as just them

3)No change is made to stamina.

4)I tiny period of time after down-B, PT is invincible/super armored, but can't use down-B again. This would allow switches to be made mid battle without too much concern.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Everyone is saying the same thing, has the time for action not arrived yet?

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
we're unable to swap individual moves atm.

In the future we may be able to, but I wouldn't count on us giving the wild pokemon new down Bs.
Could it be possible to give the wild pokemon with Down+B one of the other three special attacks, but with an other values?

For example:
- Charizard Down+B flamethrower is a fast attack with great knockback.
- Squirtle Down+B Watergun does no pushback both some damage.
- Ivysaur Down+B vinewhip push the enemy to him as a combo starter.

Or give them one of there a-attacks with diffrent values.

For example:
- Charizard Down+B is his smash+down just like DK's down+b.
- Squirtle Down+B is his smash+down what push the enemy up without damage.
- Ivysaur Down+B is his F-Tilt just like Pits side+b.

timothyung

Smash Ace
So we should keep the stamina system, right?
But I think the system is flawed. Every attack the Pokemon performs, it loses one second of stamina. And they only have 120 seconds of stamina. In the faster-paced Brawl+, their stamina will go out very quickly, maybe just in a minute. I think we should fix the stamina, here are some suggestions:
-Increase the stamina
-The stamina only decreases by time
-The stamina only decreases by attacking

Rudra

Smash Ace
So we should keep the stamina system, right?
But I think the system is flawed. Every attack the Pokemon performs, it loses one second of stamina. And they only have 120 seconds of stamina. In the faster-paced Brawl+, their stamina will go out very quickly, maybe just in a minute. I think we should fix the stamina, here are some suggestions:
-Increase the stamina
-The stamina only decreases by time
-The stamina only decreases by attacking
Just to clarify, my idea is to make it so PT must switch from the Pokémon that just got knocked out to either the next Pokémon in the rotation or the Pokémon before it in the rotation (Two forward in the rotation) but not the Pokémon that just got knocked out upon re spawn. Along side this, Independent Pokémon would still exist for those people who don't want to have to use more than one Pokémon. There would be no stamina for either option, since there is no reason to encourage switching when switching is already mandatory or impossible.

These are my suggestions to balancing the switch system to make it so that Pokémon Trainer still needs to function as a team but isn't crippled for being one....
I dont think Stamina is a part of the plan (unless I missed something).
Though IF it were to be brought back, it shouldnt affect the Pokemon for attacking

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
This requires new codes which we simply don't have. Patience my friend.
I'm just asking, because people keep saying things that "I want this and I want that". Since everyone is actually saying the same thing, I think the discussion could be brought on to the next level or just ended.

Edit: Oh, and for adding a new down-b move for the wild pokémon, I'm saying it's not that necessary yet. moreover, that's a different discussion, perhaps even a different thread? In case it isn't, I want Ivy to have leech seed :3

Editx2: @ rudras sig:

No, it's not very effective

Rudra

Smash Ace
Edit: Oh, and for adding a new down-b move for the wild pokémon, I'm saying it's not that necessary yet. moreover, that's a different discussion, perhaps even a different thread? In case it isn't, I want Ivy to have leech seed :3
That's quite an interesting idea, replacing their vB moves. I actually can imagine Ivy having a move like Leech Seed (Flower effect, but what move would it be using?), and Charizard having a Headbutt like DK's (Rock Smash's animation without the Rock? Dsmash?), but only Metal B's got a decent idea for Squirtle's vB so far it seems.

It's probably a subject for another time, but it is interesting. =3

Editx2: @ rudras sig:

No, it's not very effective
I lol'd either way. XD

ratman19

Smash Cadet
this is perfect but what would you do about stamina. if you keep the same pokemon in for the whole match, then what. if you keep the stamina at normal, you would be forced to switch anyway

Top Bottom