• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT - Weak Glide Tossing, Diddy's Applications

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
The OP for this tech is here:
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229508

Of most importance is the Weak Glide Toss, a technique that Diddy can do with his bananas. Basically, it allows you to throw a banana as though you were not smash-throwing it while still getting the slide of a Glide Toss. This leads to applications such as "Wheelbanana"-ing, also described in the OP. I have a demo video of Diddy's Wheelbanana up if you want to see what it looks like (it's mostly a flashy thing to do, like Dribbling backwards to DA banana pickup over and over when the opponent is far away):
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqImRJUXxAw

What other applications are there for this new tech? Also, notice that it can be used with other items, such as Tink's bombs or Zamus's armor pieces, so we aren't limited to strictly banana applications with this.

EDIT:
You can't ZDrop a banana. You do a Weak Glide Toss, meaning you are still throwing the banana, but you can arrive at the same time it connects from a safer distance. This allows for better spacing between the banana hitting them and you attacking/grabbing/etc. them while staying out of range of their attacks. This also helps you throw a banana and follow it up against characters that slide (Luigi), since you're there at the second they trip. Again, this is mostly a spacing technique to mix up regular Glide Tosses.

EDIT:
The main use of the Weak Glide Toss for Diddy players is the increased control they have over their bananas. If your opponent is about to land and they're too close for a Glide Toss to put the banana under them and too far away to follow them up if you simply do a standing throw, you can Weak Glide Toss to get the best of both worlds. It lets you slide while not having to throw the banana as far, meaning you can, for example, approach the ledge where an opponent is recovering while being able to place a banana on the ledge (instead of it flying off from using a normal Glide Toss, or you having to drop one directly above the ledge). Essentially, this lets you continue to slide around the stage to avoid attacks or set up spacing while opening up more places for you to put your bananas. The more options you have to frustrate your opponent's game, the better.

The Wheelbanana thing is just a mindgame/joke. It has no real practical purpose, it's just for demonstration purposes (the characters that don't have Dribbling can put variations of it to much better use; as far as a movement technique, this is not one a Diddy player should use). I'll post a video of just the Weak Glide Toss so you guys can see what that is.

EDIT 2: See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVezocdi2uI

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sorry, but there aren't any advantages for this over a regular glide toss and this would be so easily shieldgrabbed :(

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I see what you mean. However, it isn't very difficult and might prove useful for "mindgaming" your opponent. Remember, the game doesn't exist in a theorycraft bubble.

Of course you guys would know better than I do. I don't even play Diddy (yet) :)

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yes, that's the point. It's supposed to. The distance is so small that if you throw it during the right part of the roll you can pick it up before it lands. So yes it is a shorter distance. The throw itself might also be nice for spacing.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
kk, thanks for the info

you could use this to fake out your opponent if they expect a smash throw
or if you are near the edge and you dont want to throw your naner off the edge if they side step then you can weak toss and it might land under them and let you punish *shrugs*

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
This is probably mostly useful at a close range because you can reach your opponent the same time the banana does and pretty much get an easy grab or if they try to spotdodge you can throw out something to punish it.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Can Diddy glide drop?
I can't do it with DK either...maybe I'm doing it wrong but I tried for about 2 minutes and I couldn't get it down.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
4RCE: The timing is different from a normal glide toss; try doing it on 1/4 with DK so you know when to start it. Basically, you have to hold shield down, and then tap the control stick left or right to start a roll. Immediately release the shield button and let the control stick return to normal, and DK should have started the first or second frame of his roll. At this point, you press Z to Z-Drop it, and you'll get the slide. The same thing applies to the Weak Glide Toss.

I was thinking this would only really be applicable for spacing myself, but the Diddy boards (coughChromecough) has come up with some crazy stuff before.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of using this to reach your opponent at the same time as the banana your threw. You can put a lot of pressure on people with this move with the correct spacing.
And I didnt know you could GT zdrop items but it isnt it the same as a GTed Dthrow but with a longer animation? Doesnt seem too useful to me.

saberhof

Smash Master
this could be usefull when you are doing some banana combos, you can link to other stuff easier :O...

i dont find lots of amazing uses, but its something to keep in mind =D

got ****

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I think Banana dropping will be awesome in the future, to me, I think this is similar to Snake's mortar slide. The difference is we are not limited to just an up smash but instead, any move we want. I wanna see glide drops into grabs all day.
xD

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Wait Im confused. Isnt the animation for zdropping slower than the Dthrow. So a GTed zdrop is theoretically slower than dribbling. Im really not seeing the usefulness of GT zdrop. Someone please clarify.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
You can't ZDrop a banana. You do a Weak Glide Toss, meaning you are still throwing the banana, but you can arrive at the same time it connects from a safer distance. This allows for better spacing between the banana hitting them and you attacking/grabbing/etc. them while staying out of range of their attacks. This also helps you throw a banana and follow it up against characters that slide (Luigi), since you're there at the second they trip. Again, this is mostly a spacing technique to mix up regular Glide Tosses.

EDIT:
The main use of the Weak Glide Toss for Diddy players is the increased control they have over their bananas. If your opponent is about to land and they're too close for a Glide Toss to put the banana under them and too far away to follow them up if you simply do a standing throw, you can Weak Glide Toss to get the best of both worlds. It lets you slide while not having to throw the banana as far, meaning you can, for example, approach the ledge where an opponent is recovering while being able to place a banana on the ledge (instead of it flying off from using a normal Glide Toss, or you having to drop one directly above the ledge). Essentially, this lets you continue to slide around the stage to avoid attacks or set up spacing while opening up more places for you to put your bananas. The more options you have to frustrate your opponent's game, the better.

The Wheelbanana thing is just a mindgame/joke. It has no real practical purpose, it's just for demonstration purposes (the characters that don't have Dribbling can put variations of it to much better use; as far as a movement technique, this is not one a Diddy player should use). I'll post a video of just the Weak Glide Toss so you guys can see what that is.

EDIT 2: See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVezocdi2uI

EDIT 3:
kk, thanks for the info

you could use this to fake out your opponent if they expect a smash throw
or if you are near the edge and you dont want to throw your naner off the edge if they side step then you can weak toss and it might land under them and let you punish *shrugs*
Exactly what he said.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Ok thanks. I was confused cause I thought people were talking about zdropping bananas being good. But I saw the usefulness in the weak glidetoss from the beginning. Nice Find.

TreK

Is "that guy"
i thought of that a while ago but i didn't managed to do it (bad controller is bad) so i thought it wasn't possible "^^
well, it could have some uses, but like the other >9000 ATs diddy has, it seems really situation-based :(
weak GT-> grab could be cool depending on ur spacing.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
i thought of that a while ago but i didn't managed to do it (bad controller is bad) so i thought it wasn't possible "^^
well, it could have some uses, but like the other >9000 ATs diddy has, it seems really situation-based :(
weak GT-> grab could be cool depending on ur spacing.
I'm seeing it more for banana placement ahead of time, like when your opponent is falling to the stage and you're predicting where they're going to land. If they're going to land far away, Glide Toss. If they're going to land a bit closer, Weak Glide Toss. This limits their options as they're coming back to the ground, among other things. Yes, it is situational to an extent, but it's a viable addition to regular Glide Tosses as far as I can tell. It's like another blade (well, maybe screwdriver) in the Swiss Army Knife that is Diddy Kong :laugh:

EDIT: Not to say the WGT -> Grab isn't a bad idea; that's definitely a useful way to apply this.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
After practicing the WGT, it actually seems really useful. I mean I tried doing the WGT on my shielding brother to see what different followups I could think of and there are so many grabbing being of course the most obvious. But there are others depending on what your opponent does. You can aerial if they jump to recatch but if they dont, its a perfect setup for Chromes technique, Shield Bouncing. It was a lot harder to use this AT before (at least for me)cause you had to be at close range when you threw the banana at their shield. If you tried to do it after a GT smash throw than your opponent had plenty of time to react while you ran over to try and recatch the banana. With the WGT, you can GT from farther away and still Shield Bounce as if you had thrown the banana at their shield from close range cause you reach your opponent at almost the same time. Theyre still thinking about the banana that hit their shield when your suddenly in their face pressuring their shield. I love this technique :)

Top Bottom