• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bottom Tier List Tourney for Smash Sundays 4-26-09 Hamden, CT

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:WE'RE BACK!!!:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Ok, so it's been a while since we held a Smash Sundays, but here we are again! This tourney will be pretty interesting since we're doing something very different than normal. The tourney's only viable characters will be from the bottom half of Smashboads current Official tier list. This basically means from pit and lower. The tier list can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214428

We wanted to try something new and interesting. And it gives us and you a chance to try those chars that you really love but can't seem to find the heart to bring out against the top tiers at a tourney. I think it will prove to be fun and interesting and I hope to have some really fun matches there and to play against some chars I normally don't see at tournies :) This will NOT be a normal occurrence. This is NOT how every Smash Sunday will work

When/Where
We will start this Brawl tourney on Sunday (4/26/09) around 11ish in the morning. The address will be 36 New Road Hamden, CT (Special thanks to all in that house for letting us host there again!)

Changes from last Smash Sundays

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Biggest change is what characters you can use. Only the bottom half of the tier list can be used.
Here is the list of the ONLY characters you can use. The rest count as banned.
Pit
Peach
Wolf
Luigi
Zelda
Bowser
Fox
Sheik
Ike
Mario
Lucas
Ness
Samus
Sonic
Pokémon Trainer
Yoshi
Link
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
The full tier list can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214428

Yoshi's Island (pipes) is now moved from counterpick to banned.

Past these rule changes, which is only a temporary thing the only other change is the cost. Because this is an unusual idea, the entry fee will only be 3$ + the usual 2$ venue fee.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
**you can ask me if you have any questions, my contact info is at the bottom of the post. **

COST
Some rules can be found below. Same entry fee's 3$ per format entry. Which means if you want in singles, you have to pay 3$ and if you want in doubles you and your partner each have to pay 3$. Don't forget your 2$ venue fee. This means if you compete it both formats it will be 3$ for singles + 3$ for doubles + 2$ venue fee. Total of 8$ so still not too bad. I wish you all the best of luck!!

BRING PEOPLE!! Please bring your friends and tell them about it. The more people we bring, the more fun it will be! I hope to see you all there.

!! Contact Jason with any and all questions through phone/text/e-mail !!

Sincerely
Smash Sundays Crew
Jason Croog
(203)298-8454
Olimar369@gmail.com
Aim: Olimar369

RULES:

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Lylat Cruise

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Delfino
4. Pokémon Stadium 1
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Greens
10. Jungle Japes
11. Norfair
12. Pictochat
13. Pirate Ship
14. Pokémon Stadium 2
15. Rainbow Cruise

The bottom half of tier list is available as potential characters and all strategies are viable (unless you’re just trying to waste time. We will be mostly following the recommended rules from smashboards. The smashboards rules can be found here ). We will run 2/3 three stock matches, with an 8 minute time maximum time limit Final match will either be a best of 3 or best of 5 match depending on time constraints. Hopefully best of 5.

This is open to anyone, not just QU students, bring your friends, family, co-workers etc.
Bring your own controllers if you want to play with a decent controller or else you might be issued a semi working one. Don’t forget you can save your control scheme on your wii motes.

If you need a ride from Quinnipiac U. let me know in an e-mail or call or text me at 203-298-8454, we will provide some rides out of the kindness of our hearts.
Food and drinks will not be provided but you can bring/order your own. If you want to bring any alcohol you can, you must provide valid ID that you are 21 to us b4 you drink (sorry we’re trying to keep this legit) Smoking outside only (again keep it legal). Parking will be showed to you when you arrive if you need it.

Prizes

Prizes - Winner will take about 70% of entry fees, while 2nd place will get 20% and 3rd place will take 10%. Actual prize money will be determined on the day of the tourney after seeing how many people attend.

Contact

If you have any questions/comments send a text to Jason (203) 298-8454 or you can contact his AIM at Olimar369 or you can e-mail him at Olimar369@gmail.com

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
I will be attending.

EDIT:

Stages

Starter Stages will be:

1. Final Destination
2. Smashville
3. Battlefield
4. Yoshi's Island
5. Lylat Cruise

Counterpick stages will be:

1. Castle Siege
2. Halberd
3. Delfino
4. Pokémon Stadium 1
5. Brinstar
6. Corneria
7. Distant Planet
8. Frigate Orpheon
9. Green Greens
10. Jungle Japes
11. Norfair
12. Pictochat
13. Pirate Ship
14. Pokémon Stadium 2
15. Rainbow Cruise
16. Yoshi's Island (Pipes) Lylat Cruise
I meant to comment on this earlier...but just remembered.

Lylat Cruise is definitely not a neutral stage. The uneven ledges that gimp recoveries do not make that stage a neutral. Counter pick? Sure. Not a neutral.

Castle Siege is a great stage to play on if its for fun but Olimar, DDD, Falco, and other stupid throw characters make this stage illegitimate for a tournament. I've always been against this stage for a legitimate match because of the fact that campers just.....excel here. Campers simply dominate this stage. Pit, Toon Link, Olimar, DDD, Fox, Falco, and basically any character that can camp is at an extreme advantage here. There are no platforms, no stage changes, (The only change actually enforces more camping) and no walls so players that have no projectiles are literally FORCED to approach. Campers are extremely good here and KO's happen extremely fast on the sides.

Green Greens has EXTREMELY quick vertical and horizontal kills and the bombs kill the likes of Bowser as low as 100%. Fox's Uair kills most as low as 90% here as well. This stage can ARGUABLY be used due to the fact that both horiz and vert kills are quick and not just one direction...but I personally, think this level is weak.

Pirate Ship-The ship can kill you if you are close enough on the left side of it, bombs do MASSIVE damage, pretty much all aspects of its surface are uneven, It's almost nearly impossible for certain characters to auto sweet spot when recovering in the water, (Pit, Bowser, Ike) the sail can fling you out and kill you at around 100%, (There's no exclamation point to notify players that it is coming.) and characters float more and are easy to intercept during the tornado section of the stage.

noodles

Smash Champion
im like done with smash but ill enter it since its the day after my tournament. im gunna laugh when i win with my secret character

also its only 3$ so you should just pay out first and maybe give 2nd paid entry

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
im like done with smash but ill enter it since its the day after my tournament. im gunna laugh when i win with my secret character

also its only 3$ so you should just pay out first and maybe give 2nd paid entry
What do you mean done with smash? You seriously done? Def not fun man. You need to keep with it!

You this will be a fun game. I want to see who would do really good in this.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I will be attending.

EDIT:

I meant to comment on this earlier...but just remembered.

Lylat Cruise is definitely not a neutral stage. The uneven ledges that gimp recoveries do not make that stage a neutral. Counter pick? Sure. Not a neutral.

Castle Siege is a great stage to play on if its for fun but Olimar, DDD, Falco, and other stupid throw characters make this stage illegitimate for a tournament. I've always been against this stage for a legitimate match because of the fact that campers just.....excel here. Campers simply dominate this stage. Pit, Toon Link, Olimar, DDD, Fox, Falco, and basically any character that can camp is at an extreme advantage here. There are no platforms, no stage changes, (The only change actually enforces more camping) and no walls so players that have no projectiles are literally FORCED to approach. Campers are extremely good here and KO's happen extremely fast on the sides.

Green Greens has EXTREMELY quick vertical and horizontal kills and the bombs kill the likes of Bowser as low as 100%. Fox's Uair kills most as low as 90% here as well. This stage can ARGUABLY be used due to the fact that both horiz and vert kills are quick and not just one direction...but I personally, think this level is weak.

Pirate Ship-The ship can kill you if you are close enough on the left side of it, bombs do MASSIVE damage, pretty much all aspects of its surface are uneven, It's almost nearly impossible for certain characters to auto sweet spot when recovering in the water, (Pit, Bowser, Ike) the sail can fling you out and kill you at around 100%, (There's no exclamation point to notify players that it is coming.) and characters float more and are easy to intercept during the tornado section of the stage.
Ok, I absolutely love it when you complain. Did I mention that? The only points which I liked was the lylat. I totally agree, but we need a 5th stage for stage striking because we don't put it on random. If you have a better suggestion for a 5th then please give it to me and I'll think about changing it. I used to have delfino as a 5th.

Ok so chaingrabbing... Oli doesn't have a moving chaingrab. You should know that. You play me enough. DDD and falco do but.... Hey can you believe it?! They're not playable characters!!!!! OMG WOW.... And castle siege isn't ultra camper. The 1st and 2nd part of the stage have platforms. The 2nd has those big @$$ statues that stop like everything but pikmin and ROB's lazzzzorz. But again... They're not in this tourney. In fact the only char that you mentioned that's in this is pit. And pit does NOT excel on any part of this stage past the 3rd and the transitions. And you said there are no stage transitions.... are you crazy? What lvl are you thinking of?

As to pirate ship... I never understood why it wasn't banned. The environs are too powerful in my opinion, but most people are like "it's a legit stage." In fact it used to be my ban because that ship is rascist against.... me. But in reality it really isn't that bad. All the environs are easily seen and avoided. The only thing is that you can maybe throw your opponent into one which would be death by a skillful opponent which uses his environment to his/her advantage. So, stop it with your johns. And the spring kills at 0, not just 100%. Just that it CANT kill with proper DI. It just catches by surprise when you have noob moments. It happens. Get over it. Now the ledges are fine. It's not that hard to sweetspot. And they also give way to great ledge mind games. The only problem I have with it, is that it's harder to gimp without a real drop away floor. But that's not really a good argument so, that def stays.

Green greens. Ok, well my regulars at the BEGINNING of Smash Sundays all took a vote on that one. Green greens stays! :chuckle: I know there are some inherent problems on the lvl, bombs, walls, short sides, short cieling, apples, etc. But that one is a FUN stage. You remember that word right? "Fun?" The SLIGHT randomness of bombs can be fun, but for the most part is used strategically by most players I see on that lvl. Learn to become a better player and work around it, or use your ban on it if you feel that strongly. We at Smash Sundays keep that one out of stubborn pride.

And the yoshi pipes lvl... Didn't know that was still on there. I'll have to change that one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I forgot a few points. Yes the spring (ok it's actually a catapult but we call it a spring for some reason) does have an indicator. IT COMES OUT OF THE SHIP. It's not there the whole time. Once it rises completely from the depths of the ship, it will shoot off when someone touches it/lands on it. This can also be avoided by blocking when it tries to shoot you off. And a short floaty part? You're seriously complaining about that? It's also easier to dodge and to keep away so it is easier to intercept people in the air, assuming they don't know how to play the game. I never have that problem. Neither do most people who play this game. I also don't like the uneven surface, as it screws up my Oli game, but hey, that's part of why it's a legit counterpick, It messes with some chars and not others. Not nearly a reason for banning. I understand it screws with your spacing. But every stage can't be FD. Get over it dude!:psycho:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
the winner will be a pit if a pit main goes because pit has been considered high tier b4.either pit,wolf, or luigi.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Oh wait, nevermind...I was thinking Castle Siege was Bridge of Eldin for some reason. That stage is legit. It literally notifies you of the stage change for like five seconds. That stage is acceptable.

Pokemon Stadium I is a better neutral than Lylat Cruise IMO but it can be argued that Lylat is more acceptable. That's pretty much a coin toss.

Starters (STAGE STRIKE SYSTEM IN PLACE)

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter Picks
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

All other stages are banned.
Basically, I recommend using this.

Five neutrals WITH Lylat and TEN counter picks to choose from without Pirate Ship which is more than enough stages needed to successfully counter pick. Also, you will note that Pokemon Stadium II is not in here as well. This list was made by Dazwa who is arguably the best ZSS in New England. It's a fair and acceptable list. Normally, I would not give two ****s about stages, counters, etc because this is supposed to be fun...but money is on the line and some people are picky. :-/

Distant Planet, Pirate Ship, and Green Greens should all go. Distant planet is extremely uneven, the waterfall part is a *****, the monster eats you, the left side is extremely easy to KO someone...its a weak stage.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Mario is king of low tiers. He basically wins most of them out. But since they're are a few mid tier chars there such as luigi, it's pretty harassing since its 5/5 matchups lmfao. oh and luigi WAS potentially considered a high tier char, but he didnt have tourney rep.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
i wonder who garretts low tier is

also wtf at pit/luigi
Luigi is a priority *****, and his crazy style really messes with some players. Pit is just absolute nutz! Massive amounts of tech for him. Mad approaches with arrow looping and stuff. But again I don't know any1 that plays pit that well around here.

Olimar369

Smash Journeyman
I'm calling teh Plumbers victory this time.
You coming to rep that samus? This tourney is designed to let you bring out those chars that you love, but can't bring in due to the likes of Snake/MK/G&W/DDD and the like. I got a pretty fun one to play there. ;) But you'll have to wait to see it. I'm doing noodles on sat, and mine on Sunday. I need to offer my place to stay to anyone that's going to do both... But i feel I need to have at least met them 1st :)

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
You coming to rep that samus? This tourney is designed to let you bring out those chars that you love, but can't bring in due to the likes of Snake/MK/G&W/DDD and the like. I got a pretty fun one to play there. ;) But you'll have to wait to see it. I'm doing noodles on sat, and mine on Sunday. I need to offer my place to stay to anyone that's going to do both... But i feel I need to have at least met them 1st :)
Idk..Samus got boring. I only bring her out to **** over-confident scrubs or by specific request. Other then that I'll probably be using Shouryuken or Frat boy.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
yeah i planned on using shoryuken, he's an ******* in low tier tournaments cause he's just like that.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by Dazwa

Starters (STAGE STRIKE SYSTEM IN PLACE)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counter Picks
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

All other stages are banned.

i agree with this, but i would put lylat as a CP and only have 4 neutrals, that's pretty standard now

and lol @ triple post. woops

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
Lol, Icy is a forum scrub. :]

Falcon Dittos today were too good.

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
Awww...Quit *****ing PoF. :D

We need moar MK dittos plz? I want to see if I've really improved. Last time was so close that I didn't know what to think. xD

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
hey, i'm not one to take credit where credit isn't due

that list was the list MattDotZeb was running for Brawl for Mass Madness back when he had control over the first post. then he couldn't run it, it was given control to me, so that's why it looks like I made it.

in fact, I'm pretty sure it was just yanked off of Ace's (MdrnDayMercutio) ruleset. so all your applause can go to him

i'd probably just use the evo stagelist

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Fair enough Dazwa.

We need to play Brawl soon....somehow....someway.

^The guy responsible for making me give 2 ****s about this game. He doesn't camp and he pretty much can **** anyone.

Oh yeah, I meant to ask you this like a while ago but when we played at MM for that set, did you think my Marth was good? I really need to play Darcs Marth......

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
i have no idea lol, that was awhile ago

edit: i got bored one time and played a bunch of marth dittos with darc

the matchup is really fun but really ********

noodles

Smash Champion
icy you should team with me at this. im thinking about just going pit or luigi. probably pit because i can shoot alot of stuff

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i dunno if i'm even going, i might need a ride. no work really so no money to register/insure car and before that i owe the towns $65 for vehicle tax before i can register...we will see i guess, and yes i ***** page 2

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
Wish like hell I could come to this lol. If I do I'll probably go pit/fox.
Pit goes even with half the list and has an advantage against the other half, theoretically.

Top Bottom