• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario+ Cha Cha Cha! (OP updated, expect more soon) *WIP*

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

Wario is so amazed with Brawl+ that he decided to put a suit on! Talk about fancy!

General Overview

First off, let me link you to some threads.

If you are completely new to Wario then this is a good place to start.
Yes it is a vBrawl guide but understand that Wario himself has changed so little in B+ that this still applies. This is here to give new Wario players an idea of how his moveset works.

Wario frame data.
Due note when looking here that shieldstun as well as hitlag are not the same in B+. However the duration of his moves (as in when hitboxes come out and their lag) remains the same. That is really why this link is here. Want to know what Wario's fastest moves are? Check here.

With that out of the way, onto Brawl+ Wario.
We all know Wario is an unpopular character, but please don't let his looks put you off when considering him as a character to play! As you will hopefully find out, Wario is an amazing character and a fine choice to consider as a main or secondary to cover problem matchups.

PROS
• Heavy
• Floaty
• High mobility
• Difficult to combo
• Good combo game
• Excellent aerial game
• Powerful ground game
• Good recovery
• Very early kill potential
• No truly bad stages
• No guaranteed grab release combos

CONS
• Poor range
• Lack of disjointed hitboxes
• Potentially predictable recovery
• No projectile
• No method to combat projectiles

What should click in your mind is that the benefits of Wario FAR outweigh his disadvantages. For the most part his cons can all be worked around, making his weaknesses much harder to abuse then with other characters. A certain playstyle can lessen a weakness, as well as certain stages.

As I said earlier, Wario really hasn't changed much from vBrawl, and it may be hard to believe but he manages to be even better in Brawl+. Everything that makes him good in vBrawl applies here, and he even gains a good combo game and the removal of guaranteed grab release combos and kills.

"Wario seems too good! Nerf him!" you may say. But he does have weaknesses. He can struggle against characters with good range and disjointed hitboxes. He also cannot directly deal with projectiles which limits him to powershielding, dodging and avoiding them altogether. His recovery can also become quickly predictable if the player lets it; knock him off of his bike and watch him fall to his death. There are plenty of characters out there who can abuse these weaknesses, so it will be up to you to work around them. Projectiles are always going to force Wario to approach. Approaching you say? Sounds like a great place to move to! (and now begins the general strategy area!)

General Strategy

Approaching

The approach. You aren't going to go anywhere with Wario without doing this well!
Wario has no projectile, reflector, and no long range safety move he can use to force an approach. So get used to approaching often. How should one go about this in Brawl+?

• vBrawl style. By this I mean approaching as he would in vBrawl. Using his aerials and high mobility to safely poke the opponent and wait for a reaction. Depending on their reaction is what you do next.
- If they counterattack float backwards outside their range. They will whiff their attack and leave themselves wide open for punishment.
- If they shield you can do a number of things. Either continue to poke their shield, retreat, or land a grab/bite on them.
- If they try to dodge then just wait for their invincibility frames to end and punish or again retreat to reset your positioning.
• Dash attack/crouch canceled options. Crouch canceled options can range from a number of moves such as Dtilt, Ftilt, Fsmash, grabs and etc. As a whole this will not be as effective as his aerial approaches but don't forgo them. As mixups they can prove very effective on an unsuspecting opponent. Wario isn't the fastest grounded character and doesn't have the safety his mobility grants him on the ground. Do not get predictable with these options because they will be punished.
• DACUS (dash attack canceled Up Smash). Again this is really only effective as a mixup. I will go more in depth into DACUS later. For now I will say that this needs to be perfectly spaced to be effective without getting easily punished. It is easy to hit Wario out of his Usmash, so do not rely on this as an approach.

Certainly his best approach option is to use his aerials and mobility, though mixups can be effective if kept as that. Use Wario's movepool to remain unpredictable, and try to vary your approach as often as possible to always keep your opponent guessing. With aerials don't be afraid to fastfall them. Wario suffers low lag overall thanks to ALR (auto lag reduction) on his aerials. Use fastfalled aerials in conjunction with aerials+double jumps to further your unpredictability. The less likely your opponent is to guess your approach the more likely you are to succeed with it.

Comboing

~Will post updated combo section soon. I wanted to at least post what I had finished up to now~

Getting the kill

Another area where Wario excels in. He has reliable kill moves, setups into them, and the ability to kill early on top of all of that.

• The Waft!
The king of all kill moves. The Waft will play MASSIVE mindgames on your opponent without you even needing to do anything. Why? It reliably kills around 70%, and even lower at the edge. What's even scarier is that its much easier to land than moves such as Eruption, PK Flash and Ganon's Utilt. What's the key to killing so early? It is all in the timing. NOTE: These percents are from vBrawl, and may not be as accurate. This is merely to show how timing effects the power!
Charge Level Zero (about 0:00 – 0:17): Trips on Frame 16 (no damage)
Charge Level One (about 0:17 – 0:57): Frame 10
Charge Level Two (about 0:57 – 1:50): Frame 5
Charge Level Three (Full Charge): Frame 9 (Super Armor Frames 5-10)
Knockback:
Charge Time…..Mario KO% (at the center of FD with no DI)
0:56…..………..187 (Useless)
0:58…..………..98
1:00…..………..95
1:05…..………..92
1:10…..………..85
1:15…..………..81
1:20…..………..76
1:25…..………..72
1:30…..………..67
1:35…..………..62
1:40…..………..60
1:45…..………..55
1:50…..………..52
Full…..………....96
Full Charge: from startup of any Waft to Full Charge 1:51.729 seconds
Always keep an eye on the clock during the match. Try to wait until about 1:30 to look for an opening to use the Waft. However if an opening arises at an earlier time don't waste it if you know it will kill. If you cannot land an early Waft then don't fret if you end up with a fully charged Waft. A fully charged Waft doesn't kill as well, but has super armor on release, and does a whopping 42% of damage. The super armor will allow you to hit through the opponents attack, and even if you do not kill them with the Waft the 42% will ensure your next hit does.
• Fsmash.
Wario will charge forward with a shoulder rush. The great thing is that it does exactly what it looks like it should do: Plow through anything. The Fsmash has super armor which when timed correctly allows Wario to go through enemy attacks and hit them regardless of what is in front of him. He can use the super armor to hit through approaches, recoveries, opposing kill moves and etc. The lack of stale moves makes Fsmash even better because it allows Wario to use it in every situation instead of saving it for a kill. To utilize Fsmash even more effectively, use a stutter step Fsmash. Stutter stepping is canceling your initial dash animation into an Fsmash. Simply dash forward and hit the Cstick in the direction you want to Fsmash before your initial dash finishes. This will give Fsmash even more range and really messes with your opponent's spacing. A reliable setup into Fsmash that will always work is a jab canceled Fsmash. Abuse it well :)
• Uair.
The clap is his chief method of killing off the top, and is another move greatly benefited by the lack of stale moves. He can now use it to rack up damage without worrying about its kill power! If the opponent is above you, the clap is an obvious option. It is predictable and easy to airdodge, so try to bait the airdodge before using Uair. It is also a great option when the opponent is above you on a platform. If they miss a tech on a platform it is a free Uair, so keep that in mind. If they shield the Uair there is a good chance they will fall off the platform due to shield pushback. If they fail to tech after falling off the platform (which many people will) then it becomes a free Fsmash/Waft.
• Ftilt/Fthrow
I grouped these together largely because they kill in a similar manner. They kill at high percents, by the time these kill most opponents should be dead. At the edge you can expect these to kill towards 150%. Ftilt has a lot of range (relative to the rest of Wario's moveset) and use Fthrow in case you ever land a grab at the edge.
• Gimping
Wario's high mobility and his ability to recover from very far offstage makes him an excellent gimper. Generally speaking, three of his aerials are going to see usage for gimping: Fair, Nair and Bair.
- Fair is great because it is quick, and weak. It is great at killing your opponent's momentum and leaving them too far out to recover onstage. It can also link into itself fairly well making Fair walls effective depending on the situation.
- Bair has the most range of Wario's aerials, and packs a fair amount of power. Use Bair to send the opponent far back offstage, or kill them if they are close to the blastzone.
- Nair is fast and has multiple hitboxes to hit with. The first hit packs enough punch to serve a similar role to Bair by sending them out too far to make it back to the stage. The later hitboxes can act like Fair as well.
• "Wariocide"
What's that? Well you commit suicide and hope to take the opponent down with you. This is accomplished by grabbing your opponent with Bite offstage and dragging them down with you. The only time you should EVER do this is at high percents or a stock ahead. This is risky, not guaranteed, but when pulled off right will freak your opponent out. Something I can recommend this for is taking the opponent's momentum and basically starting off with a fresh slate. Are you being dominated on your opening stock? Pull this maneuver off and its like that stock never happened.

General moveset review

Aerial game

Ground game

Specials

Grab game​

Will be updated soon!

Matchups

Coming to a Wario+ thread near you soon! (Willing to open discussion on any character, just mention if you want to discuss a certain matchup)

Stages

For this to really open up a finalized stage list needs to be decided. Until then, I'll just say this:
Neutrals: Pick Battlefield if possible. Wario has a good platform game and it is easy to abuse here. Wario has no real bad stage, so avoid stages according to characters (ie strike Final Destination against Falco).

CP's: By far his best stage is Brinstar. Wario can easily avoid the hazards, he can safely recover through the main stage, and it forces the opponent into the air where he dominates.
Stages that force the opponent into the air play well to his strengths, so Rainbow Cruise, Norfair, Frigate Orpheon (yeah he likes Metroid stages), and etc. work well. Stages may vary depending on the character, and this will be discussed along with matchups.

Videos

This will be updated soon to include official Plussery (currently 4.1) videos and beta (currently 4.2) videos. It will be much better organized this time :p

Change log
5-04-2009: Finally worked on the combo section, still needs more work but it's a start
5-09-2009: Added more videos, I need to organize the video section, alphabetical order by opponent and put the players names and that sort of thing. It will happen eventually :p
7-23-2009: Began the new version of the OP. It isn't finished, but I wanted to at least put up what I had up.

Revven

FrankerZ
Just FYI, you can still buffer Dthrows for the CG at 2 frames of buffering, it takes just a little bit more practice though (however the results are worth it).

The only characters I can see Wario having trouble against are other floaties and as you said, longer ranged characters (namely Marth). A floaty, for example, like Jigglypuff. She's really hard to combo with someone like Wario and he lacks the CG against her so you have to be really creative against her. That doesn't mean he does terrible against her, as I'm sure he has the advantage, she's just an example.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Just FYI, you can still buffer Dthrows for the CG at 2 frames of buffering, it takes just a little bit more practice though (however the results are worth it).

The only characters I can see Wario having trouble against are other floaties and as you said, longer ranged characters (namely Marth). A floaty, for example, like Jigglypuff. She's really hard to combo with someone like Wario and he lacks the CG against her so you have to be really creative against her. That doesn't mean he does terrible against her, as I'm sure he has the advantage, she's just an example.
Definitely agree. I'm not going to say he is at a disadvantage at all; like you said he still probably has the advantage even if it is a slight one in the matchup with the really floaty characters.

With floaty characters, I tend to go at the matchup with more of a vBrawl feel. Weaving in and out of range and playing a general hit and run game with aerials. Hopping around outside their range, and space retreating Bairs, Fairs and Dairs to rack up damage when I can. Not as fun as B+ Wario but gets the job done in the matchup.

I never like floaty vs floaty matchups... :p

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
I just picked up Wario today and ****, I'm impressed. I'll post whatever I can find out (tecnique, or combo-wise). One thing I can tell you is Uthrow > utilt > Uair > utilt > chase is too good.

Revven

FrankerZ
One thing I can tell you is Uthrow > utilt > Uair > utilt > chase is too good.
There is NO WAY that works. Wario's Uthrow is terrible and can be DI'd and by the time you could even Utilt, the opponent would be able to jump. If this is low percent, like right off from 0%, I guess it could work (theorycrafting here) but, I seriously doubt it. Uthrow is Wario's worse throw, a throw you never want to use unless you're so desperate that you'll use your fully charged Waft right after Uthrowing them (following their DI of course). Which never works anyway either and is only used to waste the fully charged Waft since you mostly want the half charge.

In any case, I played more Wario today against Shell, Wario ***** harder if you DACUS more often. His DACUS is TONS more useful after a Dair and racks up SO much damage now due to low hitlag. Here's what I was able to do today:

Dair > DACUS > Uair > Uair

I bet you could even fit in a half charged Waft in there after the second Uair. But, that's what I did from his DACUS and I bet there's even more you could get from it. Also, Nair ***** now, it's sooooo good FF'd. Wario is sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooodddddd.

I'll link you guys to the matches once I get them up. They are NASTYYYY.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
There is NO WAY that works. Wario's Uthrow is terrible and can be DI'd and by the time you could even Utilt, the opponent would be able to jump. If this is low percent, like right off from 0%, I guess it could work (theorycrafting here) but, I seriously doubt it. Uthrow is Wario's worse throw, a throw you never want to use unless you're so desperate that you'll use your fully charged Waft right after Uthrowing them (following their DI of course). Which never works anyway either and is only used to waste the fully charged Waft since you mostly want the half charge.

In any case, I played more Wario today against Shell, Wario ***** harder if you DACUS more often. His DACUS is TONS more useful after a Dair and racks up SO much damage now due to low hitlag. Here's what I was able to do today:

Dair > DACUS > Uair > Uair

I bet you could even fit in a half charged Waft in there after the second Uair. But, that's what I did from his DACUS and I bet there's even more you could get from it. Also, Nair ***** now, it's sooooo good FF'd. Wario is sooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooodddddd.

I'll link you guys to the matches once I get them up. They are NASTYYYY.
Really? I got it to work on a Falco at <10%. I'm pretty new to him, I'll experiment moar.

Revven

FrankerZ
Really? I got it to work on a Falco at <10%. I'm pretty new to him, I'll experiment moar.
Was the Falco a human or a CPU? If it was a human, they probably didn't try to jump. If it was a CPU, CPUs has bad DI (but you probably already knew that). Experiment on the same person and tell them to try jumping, if they say they are, then I may have to look at it myself next time I have someone over. Because I am 99% sure that you cannot do anything from a Uthrow with Wario unless they aren't DI'ing the throw or aren't jumping/AD'ing soon enough.

But, now that you say it was Falco, I see it as semi-believable because he is an FF'er and some times, dumb Uthrows like Wario's work on them.

Let me know what happens, test on Falco and then test on a midweight/floaty and see what you get.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
Was the Falco a human or a CPU? If it was a human, they probably didn't try to jump. If it was a CPU, CPUs has bad DI (but you probably already knew that). Experiment on the same person and tell them to try jumping, if they say they are, then I may have to look at it myself next time I have someone over. Because I am 99% sure that you cannot do anything from a Uthrow with Wario unless they aren't DI'ing the throw or aren't jumping/AD'ing soon enough.

But, now that you say it was Falco, I see it as semi-believable because he is an FF'er and some times, dumb Uthrows like Wario's work on them.

Let me know what happens, test on Falco and then test on a midweight/floaty and see what you get.
Wow, Failure. I meant to say Uthrow > uair > utilt > uair. However just so this conversation wasn't a complete waste of time; Utilt actually does register as a combo from uthrow at 0% and Uthrow to Uair registers as a combo from 0 - >100% (with no DI). All of these tests were in training mode by the way. (<10% you have to jump right after the throw for it to register.)

Also, did you guys know that Wario can full-hop Double Uair? :psycho:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

Uthrow does have legit combos at low percents, but I'm with you on this one. I just can't see Utilt ever being guaranteed. Even at low percents his Uthrow sends people just too far for much besides a Uair or whatever aerial.
EDIT: just saw your post Ghost and that you just miss typed what you were doing

I really should get some experimentation with his DACUS in. In vBrawl it was kinda meh for anything besides the range, and it just never clicked in me that it would be useful for comboing in Brawl +.

Revven

FrankerZ
I really should get some experimentation with his DACUS in. In vBrawl it was kinda meh for anything besides the range, and it just never clicked in me that it would be useful for comboing in Brawl +.
Definitely try it. I just tried it today against Shell, and HOLY GOD it is SO good now. vBrawl it was, like you said, not that useful (my only use for it was to get in closer and MAYBE get some damage in). In Brawl+? It leads into **** AND is safe on shield (as he slides past them) at least, from what I saw. Try it after using a Dair, it's really good now.

And Painted, I can see the Uthrow > Uair working on an FF'er but, not anyone else really at anything higher than 20%. And even then, you're better off using Dair at lower percents anyway or even Dthrow (especially since Dthrow is an easy 42-45% on FF'ers and two of the heaviest in this game).

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Definitely try it. I just tried it today against Shell, and HOLY GOD it is SO good now. vBrawl it was, like you said, not that useful (my only use for it was to get in closer and MAYBE get some damage in). In Brawl+? It leads into **** AND is safe on shield (as he slides past them) at least, from what I saw. Try it after using a Dair, it's really good now.

And Painted, I can see the Uthrow > Uair working on an FF'er but, not anyone else really at anything higher than 20%. And even then, you're better off using Dair at lower percents anyway or even Dthrow (especially since Dthrow is an easy 42-45% on FF'ers and two of the heaviest in this game).
Finally had some people over, and I got a chance to mess around with it.

**** you are right about it now. Great to transition an aerial combo to the ground because you can use it after most of his aerials at low to mid percent. In vBrawl I felt like it just wasn't good because he didn't get the excessive distance that some characters did, and his Usmash wasn't a good kill move or anything. Now I love the distance he gets because it allows it to be useful in combos where as if he slid as far as Snake he would just be too far away. The fact that you can have some followups after it is great too. Dair and Usmash look like they were made for each other now, especially when Wario is just spinning around and hitting you with his head :p

And if it they shield they can expect a lot of shield poking. I had a shield break from a shielded DACUS into Dair (shield was already weakened obviously) into a nice free fully charged Fsmash. Not to mention it being safe on block for most characters (I still had tether characters like Olimar able to shield grab me, but what doesn't Olimar grab...) But you might be able to buffer a jump or something and be safe, I'm not sure but I'm just going off of what I was seeing.

Revven

FrankerZ
Finally had some people over, and I got a chance to mess around with it.

**** you are right about it now. Great to transition an aerial combo to the ground because you can use it after most of his aerials at low to mid percent. In vBrawl I felt like it just wasn't good because he didn't get the excessive distance that some characters did, and his Usmash wasn't a good kill move or anything. Now I love the distance he gets because it allows it to be useful in combos where as if he slid as far as Snake he would just be too far away. The fact that you can have some followups after it is great too. Dair and Usmash look like they were made for each other now, especially when Wario is just spinning around and hitting you with his head :p

And if it they shield they can expect a lot of shield poking. I had a shield break from a shielded DACUS into Dair (shield was already weakened obviously) into a nice free fully charged Fsmash. Not to mention it being safe on block for most characters (I still had tether characters like Olimar able to shield grab me, but what doesn't Olimar grab...) But you might be able to buffer a jump or something and be safe, I'm not sure but I'm just going off of what I was seeing.
I told ya, didn't I? I actually have two matches of my Wario using it effectively against Shell's Lucas as well as showing off some other **** that seems to work REALLY well. I got the first match up, I don't do as good as the second match but ****, this one is impressive all the same.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_R2JIVRWrc&feature=channel_page

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I told ya, didn't I? I actually have two matches of my Wario using it effectively against Shell's Lucas as well as showing off some other **** that seems to work REALLY well. I got the first match up, I don't do as good as the second match but ****, this one is impressive all the same.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_R2JIVRWrc&feature=channel_page
Nice match, shame on that Usmash on the last stock.

A lot of my practice time with Wario has been working on the different timing of his DACUS.
I'm getting it to the point where I can consistently vary the distance on the DACUS for whatever spacing I need or for sliding past the opponent.

I'm loving how Wario can vary his DACUS anywhere from right in front of him to half the distance of Battlefield.

It looks like Wario doesn't have all that much popularity in B+, but hopefully this will get some response.

Anybody know how to deal with Luigi? His combo game at low and mid percents tends to focus around a close circle around him, and even with Wario's floatiness he is a heavy character so he tends to stay in that circle. As long as Luigi is reading DI he can keep going on Wario. Luigi can get some of the earliest kills in the game and his ability to combo into Up B from something like Dthrow is giving me a lot of issues. At this point I'm just glad I'm playing decent Luigi's and not somebody like Boss.

Revven

FrankerZ
Yeah... I was actually hoping for way more discussion but the problem is, there's only me, Chibo, I think Plum, and I think yourself (Slik) that play Wario. That and he really just hasn't changed much since Brawl... aside from DACUS being extremely useful and his CG (which is going to be gone pretty soon). So, if you want to start a topic, be my guest, maybe we should talk stages now?

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Umm since this thread is pretty much dead.......

I combo'ed into a suicidal bite before on a friend. It was pretty badass, come to think of it, since he had marth I could've just rode my Bike under smashvile and came back. Mid-percent Fthrow then bite. Legit combo? Or situational mindgame kinda thing?

Revven

FrankerZ
Umm since this thread is pretty much dead.......

I combo'ed into a suicidal bite before on a friend. It was pretty badass, come to think of it, since he had marth I could've just rode my Bike under smashvile and came back. Mid-percent Fthrow then bite. Legit combo? Or situational mindgame kinda thing?
Definitely not legit, sounds like bad DI personally because Fthrow sends at a high angle if they DI it right, if they DI it wrong it sends at a pretty blatant 40ish degree angle, maybe 30ish so I could see it working if he DI'd it wrong. But it definitely is not legit. If you want a bitecide combo, try comboing offstage with two Fairs (a Fair wall basically) jumping again to catch up to them and then bite, you'll likely get that off if their recovery is terrible.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I've been working on redoing the guide, for a while I was just putting it off because of school but that's all done with. Overall I just want to redo some stuff, being much more experienced with Wario now, make everything more professional and yata yata yata. It's going along well, but I've been a bit busy with social life (yay summer :p). Expect it sometime soonish.

It's a shame there's no love for Wario... But he already has little enough representation in vBrawl so it doesn't surprise me about how little he has here. On the bright side, the less Wario's out there, the less matchup experience people will have against him ;)

I think stages are fun topic with Wario because as a character he basically forces a change in the stage CP system.
I really don't think he has a true disadvantage on any stage, he can work with no matter what he's given. He can perform on flat ground, platforms, small boundaries, large boundaries, around hazards, or whatever is thrown at him. The only time he will ever have an issue with a stage is if a character can just use a stage to its advantage more so than him; like going up against Falco on FD.

With Wario I would say neutrals are just that; neutral. Whether I use them or not all depends on the matchup.
When I CP, I basically always go Brinstar, or Norfair if the stage is allowed. Both of them do such an amazing job of forcing the opponent into the air, and the hazards really pose no issue to Wario because he is so mobile. Assuming Norfair isn't allowed and the opponent bans Brinstar I opt for something like Rainbow Cruise. I just love stages that force the opponent to go up against Wario's strong point. Not to mention they are stages that a lot of people tend to be uncomfortable playing on :)

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Because warios platform game is so good, his best neutral is battlefield. He can manuever around the platforms with ease to evade or follow-up attacks. It's dangerous for any of your opponents to be on a platform ever because its basically a free bite for us.

Brinstar is easily his best stage. It's like battlefield but better. wafts and uairs are pretty much guaranteed with increased hitstun of the lava. Being able to recover from underneath the stage is an added plus

I play wario pretty the same way I do in vbrawl. except I fsmash more due to the increased shieldstun. Bait with tricky aerial movement and punish. Half charged waft begins at 55 seconds and gets stronger up until 1:50 seconds where it becomes fully charged. Don't let your waft become fully charged. If you know your waft is about to be fully charged. Try and get your opponent to 40+ percent and find an opening. There's a good chance it will KO since the knockback will be at its strongest

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
what does the new kbg on dthrow exactly do? does it remove the cg completely or only shorten it? (hope its removed, wario hates chain grabs ;) ) do the matchups against fflers/heavies change drastically now (at least from what we can with limited mu experience)? and last but not least, will wario get some trade offs for it, since it definetly weakens him quite a bit?

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
here's something i posted in the nightly, but didnt get any response:

are u guys planning on changing wario in any way? dont get me wrong, he's still good (not near top10 though imo), but he really lost a lot in the transition to brawl+ (mainly his amazing airdodge and relative aircontrol due to others doing the also controling it with hitstun (which is safer ofc)) and now his cg got removed (which ofc had to be done). maybe he could get something (small) in return, like less winddown on dtilt?
opinions?

also, how's the work on the guide going, plum?

Revven

FrankerZ
Wario is amazing.... what are you smoking? He's definitely really freaking good still. He gained COMBOS, something he didn't have before. He still has an amazing air dodge, his side step is still beast and his clap ALWAYS does 17%. IMO, Wario doesn't need any changes, at all. A faster wind-down on Dtilt wouldn't do anything, it's already a situational move (it hits spacies out of their Side Bs!! So it can be used as an edgeguard on some characters). He's still really amazing, there's just not many people who use him.

As it is, his DACUS gained a TON of new uses, mostly for techchases after his Dthrow but also it can lead to a finisher, his fully charged Fart (with the 2 minute mark one, not the half charge). Half charge probably barely happens to work but, fully charged works and if that doesn't kill them jump right after the fart and clap them. It seems to work pretty well to me... like I said, Wario's fine.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
first off, i know wario is amazing cause he's extremely fun to play. and i've watched lots of ur and slikvik's vids playing as wario, and the thing is, u guys play against fast-fallers most of the time (at least in the vids u upload). imo, that's the matchups where wario really shines (mostly due to his amazing uair being able to combo into itself here). in normal matchups, wario doesnt gain as much from the hitstun change as his opponent most of the time (at least imo).

also, my point isnt that wario really needs any buffs, but there are loads of characters that get buffed because the community requests it, and wario, without having a decent amount of representatives, kinda falls back. also, afaik the consensus is that wario wasnt top 10 even with the op cg (17th on matt's list- not too accurate though), so i dont see anything wrong with risking a closer look at his moveset.

and faster dtilt would safely setup for fair and lead to an edgeguard (especially after interrupting a recovery). so its nothing big, just a small trade-off for dthrow.

ps: all i'm saying is open for discussion, i'm not stating anything as facts and would prefer if u dont start ur comments with "what are u smoking?"

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The reason why more people don't consider Wario a top 10 character is very simple.

Look at how many of us are here playing Wario.
I can name off like 4 people who play Wario in B+ other then myself.
The same can even be said in vBrawl. I'm sure a lot of people were shocked to see Wario take the 3rd spot on the vBrawl tier list. It came with no surprise to me, but to all those who it did is because of how little representation he gets. Those who do play Wario do very well with him, but they are very few in number.

Wario definitely shines against fast fallers, I would agree. He combos them very well and his floatiness makes it harder for them to combo him despite his weight. He can also abuse the poor recoveries that couples with fast fallers for early kills; add that to the fact that he has absurd killing power with super armor on his Fsmash, super armor on his fully charged waft, and a perfectly timed waft having the potential to kill as low as 50% at the edge.

Still, against floaties he is just as good. His playstyle is a little different against them, but by no means is he succeeding less against them. He is so great against floaties for the exact reasons why he is so good in vBrawl. He can constantly weave in and out of their attacks and safely poke them without putting himself at risk because of how quickly he turns on a dime in the air. Sure he isn't going to be hitting them with the flashier things he can do to fast fallers but it's all about getting the job done. He is so great at baiting because of his mobility; it allows him to throw out advancing aerials, retreat when they react and jump back with another aerial to punish. Keep that up until kill percent and choose their poison.

So yeah, outside of fast fallers Wario doesn't gain much in B+ physics outside of low % combos and ALR. In those matchups I find its best to just play a little more "vBrawlish" (which is now a word).

I would definitely put him in the top 10 myself, and here is why:

• He has the highest survivability in the game. I don't see anyone else living as long as him on average. He is very heavy, very mobile, and has a great recovery. His survivability alone has been enough to win me matches. Let's say you just took off their first stock. The longer it takes them to kill you after that means more and more % being added onto them, making your next stock all the much easier.

• Small and floaty. There are a few characters who have movesets as good as Wario; The type of characters who are prepared for nearly any situation. I'm talking about characters like Donkey Kong and Charizard who would absolutely dominate if it weren't for their size and quick fall speed making them combo bait. It keeps them from sitting in the highest tiers (though both are very good regardless). Wario just doesn't take punishment as hard as other characters. With good DI it becomes hard to hit Wario for anything other than small 2 hit combos and the like.

• Kill power is off the charts. Uair kills off the top well. Fsmash kills of the side well (especially at the edge) and has SUPER ARMOR. The Waft... Ah yes... the Waft. Less than fully charged kills well below the 100% mark, and a fully charged Waft has super armor and does like 40%. 40% of all things. Even if it doesn't kill them a fully charged Waft ensures your next hit does. The best part is that his kill moves are reliable. He has no trouble landing them, and the lack of stale moves makes it that much better. Now you don't have to worry about Fsmash going stale as you plow through everything with its super armor.

• Combo game! Though he isn't the best combo character by any means, he is effective at linking attacks together. Even if you only manage to combo 2 attacks together, that's all the more safe damage being piled on. Against fast fallers he can really pile on damage, and against floaties he is still effective at low percents. Considering how early he can kill, it's not like he needs to combo them very long before they are in kill percent anyway.

• So hard to punish... With some characters you can just bait a move and punish. Try doing that with Wario when he turns on a dime mid air to avoid your punishment and then punish YOU for trying to punish him. Some characters have a long range move to poke with. Wario doesn't really have that option, but it really doesn't matter when his physics turn him into a poke (if that makes sense :p). Most of the time Wario is very safe.

You asked about how the guide is coming along: I wanted to have a new version up by the end of the week, but I'm working now so that has been keeping me busy. When I say I'm almost done, I really mean I'm almost done. It's just finding the time to get myself to proofread what I have and finish up a draft of the last two sections. With work now though, I tend to reserve my time for playing Smash and TF2, but I should be able to guarantee a new version by next week at the latest.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Sorry for a double post. Just saying that I decided to update with what I have done so far.
Feel free to give any suggestions. I'm always willing to learn from other Wario players and their opinions on things.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Thank you Plum. I have been saying how good wario is since brawl+ started back with the no tripcode (then hitstun ect) and hes just gotten better and better as things changed.
Being a link main I know some chars just have bad movesets. This as you say is NOT the case with wario... He has something for everything! I Have called for nerfs before. (mostly becauses hes the only chars besides pika and kirby i REALLY have trouble with using any of my mains.v_v') I know its shamefull but he really does seem crazy good in all areas, and has yet to get one nerf.. unlike some chars that dident even need nerfs imo.
Anyway.. the point is you wario mains need to show everyone how much of a fat ******* wario can be! Because no one I know seems to get it. (mabye cape? lol he could only beat this guys wario with MK and only MK) Diddy also fits the bill of crazy ****ING good but never used enough for people care.

P.S really top notch OP so far. I just read it.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
Stages

For this to really open up a finalized stage list needs to be decided. Until then, I'll just say this:
Neutrals: Pick Battlefield if possible. Wario has a good platform game and it is easy to abuse here. Wario has no real bad stage, so avoid stages according to characters (ie strike Final Destination against Falco).
u shouldn't always pick battlefield cause it really limits ur approaches against characters who can camp under plattforms (rob, marth and oli fe).
also is warioware gonna be considered a neutral with the extended boundaries? it might be a better choice than bf cause it's really cramped, which is simething wario can easily take advantage of.

excellent guide so far btw. u could add the frame data for the SA of fsmash, since it's pretty important and easily overseen if u just quickly take a look at the frame data.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, BF was one of Wario's best CPs in Brawl against characters who didn't outrange Wario. It actually wasn't a bad stage for him against MK either, but I'm not saying he had an easy time against Meta there (certainly better chances than on FD). BF is a good CP for Wario and so is Brinstar, Brinstar is AMAZING for Wario just like it is for DK, he can kill real early here and it's much closer in than WW (although not gonna lie, WW helps his Uair combos).

IMO, Brinstar is a better cp than BF but, WW is the middle-ground. So if someone bans Brinstar, choose WW or BF (depending on range of the opponent), if someone bans WW pick Brinstar immediately... and of course it they ban something else choose one of the three based on your opponent's character. Spacies do bad on Brinstar for example but, they might do better on BF.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Hey Plum, I'd actually say (for me) that he's in the top 5.
Maybe even number 3 of said 5.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
why?
vbrawl-marth may be better imo, but since mk is a really bad mu for him, he wont get far...
wario on the other hand goes even (at least, some smell an advantage) with mk, has an advantage on snake (stage dependant though), aircamps d3 to hell and back and does pretty well against diddy as well (s tier characters). his only really matchup is marth, who is a little underrepresented compared to the rest of s tier (except wario;))

in brawl+ on the other hand, he has more bad marchups as far as i can tell now. marth,peach,luigi and probably kirby come to mind.

Revven

FrankerZ
Well keep in mind, Wario now has combos where as before he didn't have very many or even any at all. So Marth should actually be scared now if Wario happens to get inside him. Marth just has to keep pushing Wario away from him by pressuring him in order not to get combo'd by Wario... because Wario will combo him.

The problem I see with Kirby is Bair. But, we also have a long range Bair that comes out pretty fast and has pretty sexy priority. Only issue is, Kirby's is disjointed and has far more uses than ours does. We have to retreat with ours where as he can approach with his. The only real way to beat Kirby out of it is probably spaced and retreating Fairs... but I don't know, I haven't played the match-up. Once thing is for certain though, we have a clear advantage on Kirby in the KO department as Kirby lost a great asset, his Fsmash (though it can still be used, it is much harder to get away with now). Making Bair his only real viable KO move so we really DO know he is going to be using that a lot more now too.

Just some quick thoughts^.

But IMO, we should discuss Warios new Dthrow and the techchasing options from it. Because now the majority of the cast tumble at 0% from the throw making a tech guaranteed to happen in any which way. IMO, the most reliable choice is DACUS if they techroll away from Wario but towards seems to have some issues. Ftilt may be too slow and Dtilt might be fast enough but I'm not sure. What do you guys think about his Dthrow?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
why?
vbrawl-marth may be better imo, but since mk is a really bad mu for him, he wont get far...
wario on the other hand goes even (at least, some smell an advantage) with mk, has an advantage on snake (stage dependant though), aircamps d3 to hell and back and does pretty well against diddy as well (s tier characters). his only really matchup is marth, who is a little underrepresented compared to the rest of s tier (except wario;))

in brawl+ on the other hand, he has more bad marchups as far as i can tell now. marth,peach,luigi and probably kirby come to mind.
Baloney.

When was this established?
Wario beats out half of those characters. Going even or slightly disadvantage.

(God Luigi was nerfed. He's now a Ultra good now)

@ Downthrow?
Never used it.

EDIT: WAIT!!!

Pardon me for my rudeness. Maybe they might have the advantage. I don't know squat about those new characters. Better study up.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
(God Luigi was nerfed. He's now a Ultra good now)
i dont get it. ???

@ Downthrow?
Never used it.
did u even play wario? it was tied for best throw with fthrow before the change imo, now its still better than uthrow (except against fflers) and bthrow (only for getting them offstage).

@marth mu: this is gonna be interesting. might turn out one way or another. imo wario will do better against him than in vbrawl.
first, for the reasons smk stated and second, because marth is so easy to edgeguard now. one fair should be enough at higher percent (meaning when marth got launched farther) and sa-fsmash beats out his upb if he doesnt sweetspot it (if u smell the sweetspot, u can still ledghug. gotta be fast though against marth).
marth on the other hand can just fair wall all day, and utilt still hurts our approaches badly. so he'll probably still come out on top in the end (only theorycrafting though).

@plum: you should include this link in your guide. most awesomest wario thread (yes, right, 2 superlatives;))
and thx for ur hard work.

weinzey

Smash Apprentice
hey, how about we discuss some matchups?
i have a little problem with zelda. i mean, i can gay the **** out of her by aircamoing all day, but that's not really appropriate for friendlies. any tips? her usmash really hurts wario's approaches...

btw, how's the guide goin?

kciD

Smash Journeyman
I'm really debating here if I should start practicing with Wario+. I play Wario now in vBrawl and I'm afraid I won't be able to juggle the same character in vBrawl and Brawl+ very easily. Has anyone else done this? Have any problems going back and forth?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm really debating here if I should start practicing with Wario+. I play Wario now in vBrawl and I'm afraid I won't be able to juggle the same character in vBrawl and Brawl+ very easily. Has anyone else done this? Have any problems going back and forth?
Well consider this: Wario can successfully be played in B+ using practically the exact same strategies as in vBrawl. Granted, hitstun is a pretty large change given Wario's combo game but playing Wario in each game can be a successful prospect regardless. Wario has changed so little outside of hitstun, and a lot of how I play him personally comes from vBrawl simply because it works so **** well even in B+. If you give yourself a few matches to adjust to the lack of hitstun then you should be fine. Or at least I was when I still played both vBrawl and B+ doing that.

hey, how about we discuss some matchups?
i have a little problem with zelda. i mean, i can gay the **** out of her by aircamoing all day, but that's not really appropriate for friendlies. any tips? her usmash really hurts wario's approaches...
Well unfortunately I feel that Zelda requires some gay no matter what if you want to do well. The simplest way to describe Zelda is great defense but very poor approaches. If you are trying to go on the offensive against Zelda it is going to be hard because she can basically beat out everything you try to hit her with. Heck she can even beat out every single one of G&W's approaches (iirc a perfectly spaced/timed Ftilt can even beat out G&W's Bair) yet he is still considered a counter. It's because of how easy it is to beat her approaches.

Don't ever approach because of Din's Fire. It is a bad projectile that you can easily avoid, and it has low priority so you can even just cancel it with an aerial or something if you need to. I would just space aerials outside Zelda's range and try to bait her into an approach. Zelda can't come close to Wario's mobility so avoiding her approaches and punishing is fairly easy. Once you punish the approach THEN go on the offensive. It's just not worth it to try and push the offensive because that's something Zelda is very good at stopping.

You don't really have to gay Zelda the entire match like you might have to in vBrawl with the lack of punishing for more than 1 hit at a time. So long story short, gay her until she commits to something you can punish and then start to punish/go for a KO/go for a gimp etc.

kciD

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for that. I might try to go back and forth for a little while and see how it works. I'm really liking Wario in both vBrawl and Brawl+. Although I also like Falcon and Falco in B+ and I'd like to get good with them so I'd have a high speed character.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Well keep in mind, Wario now has combos where as before he didn't have very many or even any at all. So Marth should actually be scared now if Wario happens to get inside him. Marth just has to keep pushing Wario away from him by pressuring him in order not to get combo'd by Wario... because Wario will combo him.

The problem I see with Kirby is Bair. But, we also have a long range Bair that comes out pretty fast and has pretty sexy priority. Only issue is, Kirby's is disjointed and has far more uses than ours does. We have to retreat with ours where as he can approach with his. The only real way to beat Kirby out of it is probably spaced and retreating Fairs... but I don't know, I haven't played the match-up. Once thing is for certain though, we have a clear advantage on Kirby in the KO department as Kirby lost a great asset, his Fsmash (though it can still be used, it is much harder to get away with now). Making Bair his only real viable KO move so we really DO know he is going to be using that a lot more now too.

Just some quick thoughts^.

But IMO, we should discuss Warios new Dthrow and the techchasing options from it. Because now the majority of the cast tumble at 0% from the throw making a tech guaranteed to happen in any which way. IMO, the most reliable choice is DACUS if they techroll away from Wario but towards seems to have some issues. Ftilt may be too slow and Dtilt might be fast enough but I'm not sure. What do you guys think about his Dthrow?
Something to bring up may be the potentially new Marth; assuming the revamped Marth ends up in a future Nightly (Weeklyish >.>) then as one of his harder matchups, Wario players out there should be in the know as well.

Essentially he is going to be more offensive based, though at the cost of a worse recovery, and being more susceptible to combos. That makes things interesting for Wario. Marth is going to be more of a direct threat to Wario if he gains more combo ability, but at the same time the tradeoffs for this really benefit Wario in the matchup.

Wario can already chase Marth way out off stage and pseudo WoP with Fair, or keep him far away from the stage with Bair. The better combo game is coming at the cost of more gravity which is going to make gimping him even easier, and I believe his Up B would loose invincibility (but gain power) which won't allow Marth to freely pass through you.

Also Wario can already do some nasty things to Marth as SMK said. It's a pain getting inside Marth, but Wario does well once he does. If comboing Marth is going to be even easier then Wario will have be even better off once he gets in his range.

As far as Kirby goes, I don't know the matchup that well (I always go G&W against Kirby) but it's also important to watch out for his gimp game. A lot of times I just get a little spoiled with my recovery and get careless because most characters in there right mind wouldn't chase Wario off stage with his great aerial game, mobility etc. but Kirby can definitely gimp him. The only time Kirby should really gimp you is when you take out your bike so it would really be important to not get predictable with where/when you bikejump or use a double jump or whatever. He can easily knock you right off of it before you jump and if you already used your double jump then you are very vulnerable (airdodge and hope your Up B can make it to the ledge if you don't want to waste a Waft :\ )
Wario is heavy and is hurt by the low % grab combos because of it, but after that point his floatiness kicks in and it's going to be hard for Kirby to do much comboing if at all. His weight puts him in a similar situation, low % combos for Wario and not much after that point. Kirby may win in the range department, but Wario's mobility and retreating aerials should be good enough to deal with it. Kirby is more likely to gimp in the match, but Wario can kill Kirby extremely early. I haven't played it too much either, but on paper the matchup seems fairly even.

In regards to Dthrow tech chasing, DACUS is definitely the best option when they roll away from you. You get there VERY quickly, if you space it right the last hit opens up to combos, and let's be honest: Who doesn't find it hilarious to see such a fat man flying across the stage at high speeds?
When they roll towards you I have had a stutter stepped Fsmash work, but not on every character. Some just roll too far for it to work; I don't have a list or anything on who I've had it work on but you can get a gist of it when you think about who has good tech rolls or not. For those who have really long tech rolls I feel like a small DACUS may work when they roll towards you. I don't know how to explain the timing of it (iirc you have to cancel the Dash Attack towards the end of frame window to input Usmash) but it may be long/short enough to hit them.

Top Bottom