• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong+ (Currently 1 DK)

Revven

FrankerZ
Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. Transition from Brawl to Brawl+
3. Special Moves (B moves)
4. Physical attacks (A moves)
5. Throws
6. Combos
7. Match-ups
8. Stages
9. Videos

Introduction

Donkey Kong in Brawl+ has changed a lot, he still has very good options and what you would expect from the ape. This guide goes as in-depth as possible on how to main DK and what is possible for him. As his meta game develops, this guide will be updated.

Transition from Brawl to Brawl+

DK in Brawl was already pretty good, he had range, the speed, and defense to compete with the likes of Wolf, Pikachu, R.O.B, Peach, and etc. in his area where he is placed on the tier list. A lot has changed when he transitioned to Brawl+. Let me break it down for you.

1. Up B is a weaker recovery.

Despite how good his recovery was in Brawl, it has been hit with somewhat of a nerf. Not only is he more susceptible to meteors like Ganon's Dair, but, he also susceptible to easy edgeguards like long ranged Fsmashes and long ranged Dtilts. It doesn't help that his Up B doesn't snap onto the stage like it used to. You must now learn to recover with him, space your recovery and try to wait it out a bit before you gravitate towards the ledge. Side B helps stalling offstage for one second more to throw players off with your obvious recovery, use it when you can (not all the time). However, this does not destroy him in any way. This recovery "nerf" balances him. Just get used to it and adapt, you will see it's really not that bad.

2. Up B ledgestall is gone.

Due to No Autosweetspot Ledges, DK has lost his Up B ledgestall. If it wasn't obvious from the above block, he no longer snaps the edge, thus, he cannot ledgestall with it anymore. It is both good and bad at the same time. DK no longer has a way to think for a few seconds while on the ledge but, at the same time, he no longer has a powerful planking strategy (although it wasn't truly dominant in Brawl, it was hard to stop for some characters). Take this for what you will.

3. No more double Bair.

Some of you DK mains may be upset at this when you first hear this, but, it really isn't bad at all! He gains a lot more than what he lost. You see, his short hop height was reduced to .850. This was chosen to allow him have better techchasing options as well as hit shorter characters with his Bair. "Techchasing options? What techchasing options?" His Dair folks. Due to lower lag on all his aerials, DK can now use Dair effectively onstage thus, it can be used to techchase with effectively now as well as for combos. This is more worth it than a double Bair that misses shorties at times and is easily shielded by the second one.

4. Gravity, Short Hop, Fastfall, and Full Hop.

DK didn't receive much of a gravity change, the biggest changes are in his short hop and fastfall. Here's the list below so you can see for yourself.

Code:
SH	FH	FF	DGrav	Grav
0.850	1.000	1.400	1.000	1.000
Like I said above, a shorter short hop allows him to have better options onstage. A faster fastfall allows him to reach the ground faster and escape from being abused in the air as much on his way down. It also allows him to fastfall his aerials faster, thus, having a better SHFFL than most characters (especially for Bair). It mostly helps Dair and Bair than anything else. These settings have worked perfectly for DK.

5. 50% lag on all aerials.

As I mentioned earlier, DK has lower lag on all of his aerials. This is due to a code called "Aerial Lag Reduction". This was done universally amongst the cast (except for a few characters here and there who needed to be separated from the others in ALR). DK's ALR is perfect the way it is, it's enough so Dair ends fast enough but, is still punishable. Bair isn't as laggy as it used to be, thus it is safer to FF (again, the FF changes help this). However, Nair and Fair are still quite laggy and are not really recommended to be used onstage.

Those are the five big changes DK received in Brawl+. He has transitioned well.

Special Moves (B moves)

Neutral B - The Donkey Punch is what I always refer this move to as. It is still very good in Brawl+. Not much has changed to it other than when it connects, it is harder to react to and DI well due to the lower hitlag. However, it is still slow enough that it can be shielded easily at times. It is still really awesome to use the 9 wind-up punch as that is stronger than the fully charged one. Still use this as a defensive move if need be, but, it is VERY good. You can also cargo Utoss to neutral B with it on certain characters. So, use this move as much as you can!!

Donkey Punch no longer goes into fallspecial in the air when you use it.

Side B - You can still Bair > Side B however, it is strict timing. You must do it while his Bair just BARELY ends when he lands, you'll see it as Bair can be AC'd. Just practice it, it's REALLY useful now. You can use it for techchasing unlike in Brawl. Just predict where they are going to roll and Side B into that direction. You are likely able to connect with it and are guaranteed a Sakurai Combo or Fsmash. Dsmash is NOT a good option as it doesn't kill as early on most characters. If you do it in early percents, definitely do Dsmash in this case instead just for damage sake and potential follow-ups. Other than that, this move has not changed much at all, still very situtional.

Down B - Alright, this move has pretty much the same uses it did in Brawl. Use it to punish rolls, spotdodges, and as a keep away move due to its deceiving range. Dtilt (trip) > Down B still works and can have follow-ups right after if you're quick enough. Again, same uses as before, use its deceiving range when your opponent is blindly approaching you.

Up B - As explained above, this move isn't that good anymore offstage. However, ONstage, it is much more useful. You can use it to pressure shields better than you could in Brawl, hell, you'll even slide right past your opponent depending on when you start the Up B. From there, you're behind them and have many options to choose from. Fsmash is my favorite one to do at higher percents, so, use this wisely! Furthermore, at higher percents, the Up B likes to knock people into the air or even at a weird trajectory that lands them onto the ground. If they miss the tech, Dsmash always comes out on top as does Fsmash. If they stand tech, Dsmash is better to use as it isn't as quick as Fsmash and is likely to hit them when their invincibility frames are over. If they techroll, techchase with Dair if you can or Ftilt them if you can.

You may also be able to Up B > grab when you're near an edge and the Up B ends right on the edge. From there it is up to you if you wish to Bthrow, Dthrow, Fthrow, or Uthrow them.

Physical Moves (A moves)

Jab - His jab hasn't really changed much from Brawl other than that it's got some uses that it didn't have before. It obviously (the first hit) still drags you in for grabbing, Ftilt, Dtilt, or something else. The second hit however deals hitstun and you can usually follow-up from it apparently. I believe Jab (both hits) > Utilt might work or jab (both hits) > Usmash might work as well however I have not tested his jab extensively. Like I said, it has its uses, quite situational as it is still kinda slow.

Down Tilt - His down tilt hasn't changed much, much like in Brawl, you can still do Dtilt (trip) > Down B or even without the trip (rarely) but, the best part about that setup now is you can follow-up from it with a Uair. It is likely % based but, I know it works. Other than that, same uses as before and it likely does not infinite against a wall anymore like it does in Brawl (due to hitstun and no stale moves).

Forward Tilt - The forward tilt hasn't changed a whole lot. You really can't use anything new from it, so it's mostly his GTFO move still and eats loads of projectiles like it could before. Same uses, but, the good thing is you can use it as much as you like without having to worry about stale moves. Say hello to Brinstar Ftilt KOs!

Up Tilt - Long range, pretty fast, does a good amount of damage, and has good KB. Good move? I'd say so! It was in Brawl, in Brawl+ it got even better. You can Utilt > Utilt > Dair or Utilt > Utilt > Uair > Uair and etc. It got a lot better in the combo department, although it can be DI'd pretty easily so watch where your opponent goes!

Down Smash - Definitely not as good before (in Brawl). In Brawl+, due to some character's gravity being a bit higher, Dsmash won't kill as early on most characters when it could before. While it may be useful to do as a GTFO move, it won't KO like it used to. Don't use this move that often unless you really want them to get out of your face.

After about a month of playing DK since I wrote about Dsmash, Dsmash is actually useful on smaller characters to middle weights and floaties. Heavyweights it's kinda silly to use on (except Ganondorf who dies relatively early from it). It's not a good idea to use it on spacies unless you plan to combo from it, as it will kill them pretty late compared to everyone else. Use it wisely I suppose would be better to say.

Forward Smash - Nothing's changed with this move. Still a REALLY reliable KO move, his best one as always. Not much to say.

Up Smash - KOs later vertically much like Dsmash but, I find it a lot more useful than Dsmash simply because Usmash can have some follow-ups from it at really low percents like Uair or Bair. Still best to do Dair > Usmash at times but other than that, Usmash got a little nerfed but, it still has more uses than Dsmash currently does.

Neutral Air - Nair is a very situational move. It's not that bad, but, it's not that great of an aerial. Compared to his other aerials, it simply lacks the range. It does have exceedingly good priority though and does send at a weird angle if you land it later than normal. The reason it's mainly not as good as Dair, Bair, or Uair is because DK is basically throwing his hurtbox out at people and he's very vulnerable under him when you use it. It's a situational move but, don't use it as often as Bair or Dair, use it when you feel it is necessary. (needs more work).

Down Air - This move got a major buff due to his shortop height, fastfall speed, and ALR. Dair can be used for techchasing, so you can do Utilt > Utilt > Dair > techchase > grab > Fthrow > Utoss > Uair for example (may not be a true combo, just an example). He reaches the ground fast compared to Brawl so as a result, his Dair has become loads more useful. You can also now ledgehop a Dair and be somewhat safe. Dair > Usmash is also good on certain characters (may send too high on smaller/lighter characters). Overall, a much better aerial and wise to use quite a bit when you can.

Forward Air - Still terrible onstage. I don't even think I need to explain why. The move is too slow, still has too much lag, and just doesn't work onstage. Offstage it's become a much safer aerial because of NASL, so meteoring someone with it is less risky however, Dair may be better for the job. Overall, better than Nair but, still not good to use. (Very situational).

Back Air - Like I said earlier, DK has lost his double Bair, however that was a crutch for him in Brawl. Bair is pretty much the same, it hits harder now because of no stale moves (so you can keep abusing its range without worry of stale) and Bair > Utilt is still a really good setup. You just gotta space this move, it is by far DK's best aerial in his arsenal. Overall, same uses as Brawl, but safer better for comboing.

Up Air - MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more useful! All you had in Brawl was Utilt > Utilt > Uair and that was it (and uses with it for platforms). Now you have a move that sets up for combos, finishes combos, AND ***** hard from Utilt. I'll get more into how much **** this move is in the next section, I don't want to spoil it!

Throws

Forward Throw - Nothing to say really except the secret way you can escape it at any percent needs to be fixed (not gonna say what that secret is, DK mains should know, if you don't PM me).

Up Throw - For some reason, this move has an actual good use now. Assuming bad DI, you can Uair them right after the Uthrow, it's actually useful! Bout it though.

Back Throw - Still kills really early near the edge on certain stages, puts people who DI badly in a BAD situation (especially if you're an FF'er as you pretty much die).

Down Throw - Interesting thing about this throw now. The Dthrow > Ftilt still works at early percents but, it can be now used as a pesudo-reset setup. When they fall into the tumble, you can walk forward (assuming they miss the tech, which it is very likely) you can Ftilt them and it will force them to stand up, which gets you another grab in if you make it in time.

Forward Toss (Fthrow > Fthrow) - No real good uses except for mind gaming reasons. When someone thinks you're gonna throw them a different way, Ftoss them and follow up with a Uair for their bad DI. Otherwise, this throw isn't worth it, even just to throw them off stage.

Backward Toss (Fthrow > Bthrow) - Pretty much useless, except for the same reason above. However, it is less likely you will get a Uair off because of how much stronger Btoss is in comparison to the Ftoss. Don't use it unless it's for the mind gaming purpose.

Up Toss (Fthrow > Uthrow) - By far, his most useful throw now. It basically let's you hit with Uairs again, you can Uair juggle from it. And if they DI to try and avoid the Uair, you get a good Bair in and can follow their DI. Apparently, with bad DI, you can Utoss near the edge and Dair them for a KO if they don't meteor cancel in time. It is SO good and sexy, probably the BEST upgrade DK has going for him now. USE IT. ABUSE IT. LOVE IT.

Down Toss (Fthrow > Dthrow) - His fourth best throw to use. A good way to get someone off the stage and edgeguard them. It also can mind game someone if they think you are going to Utoss. Basically, use this for gimping like you would before (walk off, turn around, Dtoss towards the middle of under the stage) on bad recoveries (Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Ness, Yoshi, and etc). It CAN be teched at higher percents so watch it, learn the percent at which it puts people into the tumble and you're all good (I will post the %s it puts into the tumble when I get some time).

Here are the throws you should be using with DK, top being the one you should use as much as possible, to the bottom where you shouldn't be using them AS much.

1. Utoss
2. Dthrow
3. Bthrow
4. Dtoss
5. Uthrow
6. Ftoss
7. Btoss

Combos

DK has most of his old combos still intact and at the same time, has gained some new ones. For now, I will list what has stayed for the most part

Dtilt (trip) > Down B
Dthrow > Ftilt (doesn't work at a certain point, will get %s at a later date)
Bair > Side B (stricter timing)
Utilt > Utilt > Uair
Bair > Utilt > Uair

Obviously, there's a lot more than that I believe I am missing that he was capable of doing but, that's beside the point. The fact that he can still do those, being the mainly used combos you see DKs do is good enough. Something special has to be said about Dtilt (trip) > Down B though. You can combo from it with Uair or a RAR'd Bair depending on the opponent's gravity and how quick you are to react.

I'm going to continue updating this section, here's a few teaser combos to keep you cozy for awhile:

Utoss > Uair
Utoss > Donkey Punch (works on most of the cast, Jigglypuff and anyone else really floaty might be an exception)
Utoss > Bair (they have to DI the Utoss behind you)
Fthrow > carry to ledge > Utoss > Dair (ONLY IF THEY DI THE UTOSS AWAY!! Remember, this can be MC'd at early percents, do not use until well into 80%+)
Dair > Uair (awesome KO combo)
Dair > Bair

These are just teasers, I will add more soon.

Some more combos:

Fair > Usmash
Fair > Uair
Dair > Usmash
Weak Bair > Strong Bair > ? (depends where you are)

More later.

Match-ups

Under Construction

Stages

Under Construction

Videos

Donkey Kong+: The Return of the Ape ****

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
DK is amazing in Brawl+. He can be combo'd easily but I find he deals with projectiles better then any other heavies. His tilts are so pro and can combo very well. Double B-air was a crutch in vBrawl and overall he is better without it. DK's biggest weakness is his recovery, but as long as you mix it up, he can recovery pretty well. I find DK has a lot of trouble with sword users, especially Link! Thoughts?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I've not played much DK in Brawl+, actually. I loved him in Brawl, so I guess I have to give him a bit more of a try. I've got back to my Melee mains.. Blah!

I'm not very good at him, but I sure do wish his cargo wasn't quite as easy to wiggle out of. It's hard to do that Bthrow stage spike. >_>

Revven

FrankerZ
DK is amazing in Brawl+. He can be combo'd easily but I find he deals with projectiles better then any other heavies. His tilts are so pro and can combo very well. Double B-air was a crutch in vBrawl and overall he is better without it. DK's biggest weakness is his recovery, but as long as you mix it up, he can recovery pretty well. I find DK has a lot of trouble with sword users, especially Link! Thoughts?
Yeah what I like to do with his recovery some times is Side B to keep me in the air for a few seconds and then Up B. Surprisingly, this gives you more height and you MIGHT go above the edge depending on where you are offstage.

I don't believe DK has a hard time against most sword users. Certainly not Link, as DK's Ftilt can eat any projectiles Link tosses at him. Gale is eaten by Ftilt, arrows are easily shielded, and bombs well, just Z-catch them. DK's main approach against Link would be to outrange him with FF'd spaced Bairs or Ftilt. Ftilt is really good against most sword users, Up B might work too but, arrows may cancel the Up B and put you in a bad situation or bind.

I haven't played a good Link though nor an Ike, these are just my thoughts from what I think he COULD do. The only sword users I think he could have trouble with would be MK and Marth, Ike he could have a slight advantage over with combos but, not real sure (again, no Ike experience).

I'm not very good at him, but I sure do wish his cargo wasn't quite as easy to wiggle out of. It's hard to do that Bthrow stage spike. >_>
DK's Cargo spike is percentage based I believe. The higher the percentage, the harder it is to get out. Don't try it at 60%, try it at 90% and see what happens. ALso, what I learned from vBrawl that's a great tactic against Link or anyone else with a terrible recovery is Fthrow > walk off edge > turn around > Dtoss them under the stage. They can't do much but try to wiggle out before it happens and by the time they react to it, they'll either get stagespiked from the ceiling OR pushed so far into the middle of under the stage that they cannot recover by any means.

I learned it from one of Ripple's videos, comes in handy! :chuckle:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
DK's Cargo spike is percentage based I believe. The higher the percentage, the harder it is to get out. Don't try it at 60%, try it at 90% and see what happens. ALso, what I learned from vBrawl that's a great tactic against Link or anyone else with a terrible recovery is Fthrow > walk off edge > turn around > Dtoss them under the stage. They can't do much but try to wiggle out before it happens and by the time they react to it, they'll either get stagespiked from the ceiling OR pushed so far into the middle of under the stage that they cannot recover by any means.

I learned it from one of Ripple's videos, comes in handy! :chuckle:
Actually, all you have to do to break out of his cargo is hold up.
Literally. Hold up. If you are holding up as he grabs you then you break out as soon as he throws you on his back.

It is the most ******** thing ever. But for whatever reason holding up will immediately break you out of cargo at lower percents and even when you get towards higher percents it will break you out after like half a second. For whatever reason, Sakurai thought that was a good game mechanic :\

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Actually, all you have to do to break out of his cargo is hold up.
Literally. Hold up. If you are holding up as he grabs you then you break out as soon as he throws you on his back.

It is the most ******** thing ever. But for whatever reason holding up will immediately break you out of cargo at lower percents and even when you get towards higher percents it will break you out after like half a second. For whatever reason, Sakurai thought that was a good game mechanic :\
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WTH MAN?! Don't spoil our secrets. :laugh:

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
so Ive noticed that at mid to high percents (not sure exactly) Dks second jab hits the opponent in the air right at Dks eye level, setting up the opponent right in range for a fsmash/Donkey Punch. Thats too good

also, I guess this is obvious, but grouded dair has absurd hitstun, like pretty much all grounded dairs. You can pretty much always get a fsmash, Donkey Punch, or uair out of it; depending on what percentage the opponent is at

As for the cargo stagespike, could you not just tech the edge and put DK in the highly disadvantageous position of being both off the stage and below his opponent? Cargo fthrow midair still sends at a diagonal angle above him right?

If you're playing someone with a spike, that's basically suicide. x_x

Not entirely sure though, as even though I was close to maining DK in vBrawl at one point I haven't really given him much of a try in B+ for whatever reason.

Revven

FrankerZ
I played with DK some more today and experimented a bit against Shell. I discovered something semi-phenomenal.

DK's side B has ANOTHER use now as opposed to before in vBrawl (where you'd do a single Bair > Side B). You can techchase with it. If you're that good at predicting the opponent, you can techchase them and Side B the EXACT direction they are rolling to and they will get in it. Since teching is more required, this is actually a viable option and since DK relies somewhat on techchasing, this would lead into easy KOs if you Dair them into the ground, land, and Side B where they may end up (of course, try to stay near them so your head hits them into the ground). This will of course lead to the following options:

Side B > Fsmash
Side B > Donkey Punch (Sakurai combo)
Side B > Dsmash

Dsmash isn't a very viable KO move on FFer's so, try to go for the Fsmash or Donkey Punch (if you have it). I have a replay (I think) of me doing this on Shell... I may actually be remebering wrong on how I did it but, I'm 95% sure it was a techchase Side B. I'll look at it again tomorrow and edit this post with it.

Ftilt is also really Godly in this because of how it can kill and its spacing requirements. You'll see in the new matches I put up, I abuse it so much.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
How useful is DK's boosted Side B off the edge? (like Mario's boosted Cape to clarify)
Just curious if the spike is any better with Brawl + physics.

Revven

FrankerZ
How useful is DK's boosted Side B off the edge? (like Mario's boosted Cape to clarify)
Just curious if the spike is any better with Brawl + physics.
He can boost Side B like Mario can? I didn't know about that technique (probably because it's never used in vBrawl due to the ledges). How do you do it? I'll learn it and the next time I have someone over, I'll take a look at it.

Problem with DK's Side B meteor is that... it doesn't really send down hard enough, it's kinda weak so I can't imagine it being much better and it's probably tons riskier than going out offstage for a Fair. I'll see though.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
He can boost Side B like Mario can? I didn't know about that technique (probably because it's never used in vBrawl due to the ledges). How do you do it? I'll learn it and the next time I have someone over, I'll take a look at it.

Problem with DK's Side B meteor is that... it doesn't really send down hard enough, it's kinda weak so I can't imagine it being much better and it's probably tons riskier than going out offstage for a Fair. I'll see though.
Pretty sure it is the same thing as Mario's. Just Side B right before you run off a ledge and he will float off the edge with it.

Didn't realize that it was a weak spike (because when in vBrawl could you ever use it haha), that kinda sucks. There's bound to be characters with poor enough vertical recovery to have it kill them though. I guess it is just a matter of how effective it would be landing it.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I just tried out brawl+ 4.0 and I must say it takes a little getting used to the changes. The first thing I noticed is that DK's up b is so terrible for recovery right now. You have to wait until the very end of it before you can grab the ledge. I really think that needs fixing. His up b last so long that hitting him out of it over and over again isn't too hard. Momentum is kind of neat but I don't really care for dash dancing. I find that doing RAR bairs without running too far makes you kind of hang in the air because you dash backwards with the dash dancing code on. Crouching from a run I have mixed feelings on. On one hand it kind of makes walking not as appealing since you can do anything out of a crouch canceled run. On the other hand it speeds up the game a little. I also think stale moves is something that didn't need to be removed. The instant ledgesnap is also a little weird. It doesn't feel right (looks weird too).

Since you can't do anything out of hitstun anymore there are a lot more combos. DK has so many combo options from his cargo throws. Cargo dthrow can stage spikes at any % now and sets up combos if they just bounce back at you. Both cargo fthrows and uthrows lead to some aerial. Jumping cargo fthrow to whatever is pretty good since it works even at high percents although they can DI out of it. Practically anything that hits them up combos into something (especially dair). DK's attacks also have tons of shieldstun now. They are locked into blocking an entire up b and the first two slaps of his down b. If they let go after the secnd slap they can't block the third slap either. Almost everything is safe on block now. Short hop nair always has landing lag. I think nair would be better if it launched at a more horizontal angle so that it gimps more easily (which is the only thing nair is kind of okay at aside from clanking with some projectiles). His jab is a lot better with shieldstun and hitstun. It is a nice set up at mid and high percents. A lot of moves kill earlier thanks to extended hitstun too. I find the down throw to not be as good since they can DI at any percent and tech faster now. DK seems to still be one of the better characters although I haven't played someone other than the cpu in brawl+. I can see him being juggle bait too so he might just be average in brawl+.

Revven

FrankerZ
I just tried out brawl+ 4.0 and I must say it takes a little getting used to the changes. The first thing I noticed is that DK's up b is so terrible for recovery right now. You have to wait until the very end of it before you can grab the ledge. I really think that needs fixing. His up b last so long that hitting him out of it over and over again isn't too hard. Momentum is kind of neat but I don't really care for dash dancing. I find that doing RAR bairs without running too far makes you kind of hang in the air because you dash backwards with the dash dancing code on. Crouching from a run I have mixed feelings on. On one hand it kind of makes walking not as appealing since you can do anything out of a crouch canceled run. On the other hand it speeds up the game a little. I also think stale moves is something that didn't need to be removed. The instant ledgesnap is also a little weird. It doesn't feel right (looks weird too).

Since you can't do anything out of hitstun anymore there are a lot more combos. DK has so many combo options from his cargo throws. Cargo dthrow can stage spikes at any % now and sets up combos if they just bounce back at you. Both cargo fthrows and uthrows lead to some aerial. Jumping cargo fthrow to whatever is pretty good since it works even at high percents although they can DI out of it. Practically anything that hits them up combos into something (especially dair). DK's attacks also have tons of shieldstun now. They are locked into blocking an entire up b and the first two slaps of his down b. If they let go after the secnd slap they can't block the third slap either. Almost everything is safe on block now. Short hop nair always has landing lag. I think nair would be better if it launched at a more horizontal angle so that it gimps more easily (which is the only thing nair is kind of okay at aside from clanking with some projectiles). His jab is a lot better with shieldstun and hitstun. It is a nice set up at mid and high percents. A lot of moves kill earlier thanks to extended hitstun too. I find the down throw to not be as good since they can DI at any percent and tech faster now. DK seems to still be one of the better characters although I haven't played someone other than the cpu in brawl+. I can see him being juggle bait too so he might just be average in brawl+.
A lot of what you're saying definitely comes from playing it for the first time.

If you read my OP, you'll see that DK's recovery is fine and balances his GREAT onstage game out just fine. DK has no hard time recovering, he is just more susceptible to edgeguarding. He doesn't need to snap, if he did, he would have his ledgestall back which I personally don't want to see back.

He's much better than what you think he is. He's not average by any means. Playing CPUs doesn't do you any good (they have TERRIBLE DI and never jump out of combos). Play some actual human opponents and then you'll see.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
I am LOVING dk.

... Allot.
TO be honest, in Brawl, I was moving away from DK, and moving towards Wario. And I was preparing to start playing Ike and Ganon... making those four heavies my people.

.... But I just cant stop playing DK. way too much fun.
And he feels so ****.... natural.

Also, I kinda like DKs recovery without auto grab.... Ya, I know there will be some problems that may make him more vunerable, but his ability to upB onto the stage and immedatly follow up by turning around and attacking.... its sexy.

(And ya, it is working perfect now Falco. Thank you.

Revven

FrankerZ
I am LOVING dk.

... Allot.
TO be honest, in Brawl, I was moving away from DK, and moving towards Wario. And I was preparing to start playing Ike and Ganon... making those four heavies my people.

.... But I just cant stop playing DK. way too much fun.
And he feels so ****.... natural.

Also, I kinda like DKs recovery without auto grab.... Ya, I know there will be some problems that may make him more vunerable, but his ability to upB onto the stage and immedatly follow up by turning around and attacking.... its sexy.

(And ya, it is working perfect now Falco. Thank you.
Hey no problem man, it's good to have another fellow DK main in Brawl+. Let me know if you find anything cool to add to the guide that I don't know about! :)

D

Deleted member

Brawl+ DK is tooo fun and too good. His combo game is insanely legit, as bair (best approach) can lead to utilt which leads to crazy stuff, and of course, DK is still a powerhouse. Neutral B is even better imo, since the game is so offensively oriented now, its great to punish inperfect spacing, as well as tech chasing out of a dair(my favorite).

DK has trouble with ivy imo, uair combos are too nasty.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Heck yeahhhh BurntSocksssssss.

Techchasing on platforms with DK is fun, his Dair is so huge. DK really has fun with fastfallers.

Revven

FrankerZ
Alright DKs, we need some combos. I don't have a whole lot off the top of my head to fill that entire section (as I'm sure it will grow overtime). So, please start contributing now and I will add to the section with my own combos and ones posted when I get the chance to.

I'll add videos later as well. For now, the guide has been updated with throws! :)

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
why did you include Lucas in the characters with bad recoveries? He has zap jump, magnet pull, PKT2, AND a tether. You can easily go all the way under and up at the other side of FD without even zap jumping.

Revven

FrankerZ
why did you include Lucas in the characters with bad recoveries? He has zap jump, magnet pull, PKT2, AND a tether. You can easily go all the way under and up at the other side of FD without even zap jumping.
Fixed it.

But, that's not why I'm posting, I'm here to post about DK's new fix, the fix to his Donkey Punch in the air! That's right guys, no fall special after the punch! I haven't found much use for it offstage when you're trying to recover MIDMATCH. However, it may be possible to do a reverse Donkey Punch against the stage and live, like CF does with his Falcon Punch (but easier to do and a bit more practical). Other than that, it is overall a better change to him as he will no longer fall from the sky after doing a Donkey Punch combo.

It feels weird though and will take some time to get used to as you will mostly be using your DJ to use the punch in the first place. For the most part, this gets rid of the dumb landing lag he has from it as well as leaving him super vulnerable.

Should I add it to the guide? Or wait until I hear we're keeping it for good? I see no reason to get rid of it as it isn't OP. But, I made this post to see what people have found with the new change that I'm simply not seeing yet.

Palpi

Smash Hero
How does the marth match up look for donkey kong? I really love donkey kong in brawl+, but I am trying to find a secondary that can handle a few hard match ups.

Revven

FrankerZ
How does the marth match up look for donkey kong? I really love donkey kong in brawl+, but I am trying to find a secondary that can handle a few hard match ups.
Well, Marth vs. DK was always a pretty interesting match-up in vBrawl. DK outranges Marth with Bair and Ftilt, Down B also stops Marth's ground approaches pretty well if you time it right and aren't too predictable with it. Marth has Fair though, which is hard to beat but, I am pretty sure Bair can hit Marth before the Fair will even come out to touch DK.

For the most part, to me, it's pretty close. Then again, I haven't played a really good Marth yet in +. DK can combo him pretty badly though, he's one of the very few characters DK can Utoss > Donkey Punch to at any percent.

I don't know the ratio but, I'd say it's fairly close, with either one having the adv.

cman

Smash Ace
Wow! I really played DK for the first time yesterday (just didn't really interest me beforehand), and he is so incredibly imba on the fun tier list. He seems pretty crazy, and without DDD's infinite, he is probably going to be one of the powerhouses of b+. Why is there not more interest in him?

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I don't know... but I always thought that he should be way higher on the vbrawl tier list. Maybe with lots of people coming to play b+ than the'll change their minds about DK ( The SBR, I mean. )

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't know... but I always thought that he should be way higher on the vbrawl tier list. Maybe with lots of people coming to play b+ than the'll change their minds about DK ( The SBR, I mean. )
DK is unpopular. He was very unpopular when vBrawl started out and dare I say, still is very unpopular. It's mostly because he takes a decent amount of work to use and due to how big he is... he's not very attractive of a pick. (Though when you realize his potential, you can't stop playing him).

I need to add some more stuff to this guide soon...

cman

Smash Ace
DK is unpopular. He was very unpopular when vBrawl started out and dare I say, still is very unpopular. It's mostly because he takes a decent amount of work to use and due to how big he is... he's not very attractive of a pick. (Though when you realize his potential, you can't stop playing him).

I need to add some more stuff to this guide soon...
I'd guess the unpopularity and tier list placement is more due to the fact that one of the best characters has a very easy to initiate infinite on him. That prospect turned most people off of trying him competitively. Plus his hitlag in vbrawl is attrociously annoying. But that's all fixed =)

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm just going to post very quickly about your DK, Palpi.

You shouldn't Nair that much, if ever. Nair while has pretty good priority, has 0 range compared to his Bair and Dair. Plus, it extends his hurtbox a little bit (not too much) and leaves him vulnerable to attacks from below him. Nair is a situational move, not one you should ever see DK do in a match, even once. Unless that once was worth it and threw the opponent off (made you unpredictable etc).

I'll edit more in later and I'll try to start the combos up later or something. Been forgetting to do it.

Edit: I also noticed that you aren't very careful with your recovery which is why you got meteored so much by Ganon. A DK in this game should try to let his Up B run out but, enough to grab the ledge on time. Basically, stall it offstage for a few seconds and then grab it. This often works to avoid obvious meteors but, not something you should do EVERY time you come back to the stage. Don't rush back either because you're very easy to edgeguard (DK is I mean) so you gotta take it slower, he's not like Meta Knight who can instantly Side B at his own discretion.

Other than that, keep working on him.

Top Bottom