• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario+

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Ahh, well I'm pretty sure we all saw this coming sooner or later.

Mario has excelled immensely from the transition, in vbrawl he was even considered one of the best "combo" characters due to having juggle moves such as utilt spam and uair spam.

So what exactly do we have here now? We have a nimble ****er who has a dozen true combos. He can stack on damage like its his jobs as long as hes in a good position to start a combo. Usmash is even more useful now as it seems to set up really easy. He can combo with his bair in between all the ****.

Also, his cape game is now elevated. No asl makes it really easy for him to cape certain recoveries, and also fludd them (COUGH MARTH) I'm excited to see how Mario will turn out in tournament play. He's a beastttt and I can assure that.

Now for his weaknesses:

His recovery is not nearly as good. no more broken asl for our favorite plumber, he must now get up closer to the ledge in order to reach it, making his b-up riskier. He does have the fludd and cape still to recover (not to mention walljumping) so that kinda lessens the impact.

GHNecko's mario intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1nWLBbMz4

A good video to watch if your getting into mario+.

He can space every char in the game with SH bair (and rejump to anything if need be)
Crucial bit in cape's analysis. Mario also has a kick *** keep away game when he needs it (for some reason, some characters plow through mario's offense such as ganon and marth) So generally when playing mario you can play the "dont get hit" game. Captain Falcon jr anyone?

discuss?

Gameplayer209

Smash Cadet
I have played with Mario a bit in Brawl+ so I'll try at least an hour with him tomorrow. But it is true, one of my fav combos is Utiltx2/3 to Usmash to uair spam to a final fair Meteor Smash.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ahem...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh1nWLBbMz4

Fludd wins. I've recovered back onto FD while offscreen, slightly above level of FD, with a Double jump with B+ mario. :3

Also, Up B with NASL is still wicked because its awesome priority pokes through the stage. There are times where I prefer to aim slightly above a sweetspot, so I poke above the stage, and fall down.

Good thing about that is that if they dont block, free ticket onto the stage, if they do block, shield stun allows for a ledge drop something with lagless edges.

:3

Also, Dthrow CGs on FFers, and Utrhow CG on Falcon. ;3

DI specific of course.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Actually, on request, Ill be making a Mario+ guide to start us off, though I need a peer editor because I make so many mistakes, and Ill need a tester to make sure any and all combos I think of are legit/semi-legit.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm just wondering here (I plan to try out B+ the moment you can install Homebrew on Wii v4.0), are Mario's ATs from vBrawl still intact, such as FIHL and A.C.E.?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm just wondering here (I plan to try out B+ the moment you can install Homebrew on Wii v4.0), are Mario's ATs from vBrawl still intact, such as FIHL and A.C.E.?

FIHL still works but its horrible due to reduced hitlag (in order to help the game flow better, and making DI harder)

Cape Gliding still works and its more beastly due to NASL. I do think we should invest time in cape dropping though. (ITs like cape gliding, but instead of flying straight out, you drop down immediatly onto the ledge.

Also FLUDD = Mario's best chance at horizontal recovery, as shown in the video in OP.

-Ran

Smash Master
Mario is fskin' amazing at Brawl Plus. His comboing is very intuitive. After playing with him for a few matches, I was pulling off +50% combos.

cobaltblue

Smash Journeyman
Actually, on request, Ill be making a Mario+ guide to start us off, though I need a peer editor because I make so many mistakes, and Ill need a tester to make sure any and all combos I think of are legit/semi-legit.
Can't wait for that, been messing around with Mario and his fludd recovery seems really situational due to how fast you fall in 4.0. But I'm no mario main.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Can't wait for that, been messing around with Mario and his fludd recovery seems really situational due to how fast you fall in 4.0. But I'm no mario main.
Its really only good when you've above the stage. Being level with the stage is pushing it, but being below the stage is not a good thing.

I need a peer editor as I know I suck at catching mistakes and errors. ;__;

The Cape

Smash Master
Mario is plain ****.

He can space every char in the game with SH bair (and rejump to anything if need be) Uair juggles into F smash, D smash or FLUDD depending on spacing, and his edgeguarding just make him unfair.

Fireball approach is a great way to go too. Mario just plain wins in so many ways.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Mario's Up B is actually quite safe if you fail to autosweetspot. The KB of the last hit is usually more than enough to set the opponent far enough away for you to drop down onto the ledge, though if you land on the stage, they might be able to tech the hit and punish you. It all depends.

SH Dair at low percents has enough stun for you to land, then SH Dair again then Double Jump into a Fair.

Also Fair has been sped up by 10% and DTILT IS USEFUL.

YOU MUST INGRAIN THIS INTO YOUR BRAIN. ALL MARIO+ MAINERS/SECONDS/THIRDS/ETC.

DTILT IS USEFUL. IT HAS BEEN SPED UP BY 33%.

At high percents, Generally 85%+ (Maybe more/less depending on the character), Dtilt allows you to combo into ANY of Mario's smashes. THOUGH if you try to Fsmash, they will hit the ground before the hitbox comes out meaning that they can tech, though Usmash/Dsmash is generally okay. (Though you have to wait a few frames before you can hit with Dsmash, as if you do it too early, it will miss.)

At around 95%+ however, they will not be able to tech between the Dtilt and Fsmash.

Mario has a DI-dependant CG on certain characters at 0% to Low percents.

For Fox and Falco, Dthrow is your throw, though right after the through, you only have LITERALLY a few frames to read DI to regrab.

with Falcon, Uthrow is your throw to use until around 25% in which it switches to Dthrow, and again, you have to read DI perfectly or guess really really well.

Dthrow to Usmash at low percents is guaranteed if you read DI.

Usmash, Utilt, and Dair are great combo starters.

Fireball, Cape, and Fludd are great edgeguarders as well. Dtilt on the edge is really weird, as it works sometimes, and is more of a mindgame rather than a move at the edge.

Also, Dash canceling? Use it. Use it well. Dash > Smash/Dtilt Set up is really good.

Christopher Rodriguez

Yeah, I was going to say something about dtilt a while ago but I forgot to edit the post and was busy.

It really is great, it combos into things even at ridicolous percents. It can even combo into itself LOL. dtilt > fair at edge is nice too

Dash cancelling = YES. I mean, run up to the opponent>dtilt is scary as hell

Your guys thoughts on mario's dashdance? Its pretty good to me, but I'm a pretty hesitant player and would rather just jump up and retreat fireballs in order to quicken the pace.

Where are all the other mario+ players? :/ He's ****!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Dash Dancing with mario? Mind gaaemess.

Dash Dance > Stutter Step Fsmash.

Dash Dance > Grab > Combo

Dash Dance > Cape

Dash Dance > Super Jump Punch

And something lulzy I just found out. Put shiek at like 40% on the edge of FD, then while they hang there, hit them with the initial hitbox of Dash attack, then do a run off Fair.

;D

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
My god... Neko... stop making me want to hack my Wii. :lick:
Mario sounds too good.

Christopher Rodriguez

Dash Dance > Stutter Step Fsmash.
Didn't think of this. Good ****!

And something lulzy I just found out. Put shiek at like 40% on the edge of FD, then while they hang there, hit them with the initial hitbox of Dash attack, then do a run off Fair.

;D
Gotta try that sometime.

I think I may have something really nice to discuss tomorrow. I need to test it though, don't want to disappoint ;P

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Anyone noticed how GODLY lv. 9 computer Marios are at edgeguarding (cape ****)? Cape looks even more useful against characters with bad or predictable recoveries since auto-sweetspotting is gone, especially against firefox/firebird.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Also Fair has been sped up by 10% and DTILT IS USEFUL.

YOU MUST INGRAIN THIS INTO YOUR BRAIN. ALL MARIO+ MAINERS/SECONDS/THIRDS/ETC.

DTILT IS USEFUL. IT HAS BEEN SPED UP BY 33%.
T-that... that's impossible! I refuse to believe d-tilt is useful! D=

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
Wow. I main Jiggs in Brawl, so I was expecting to come to B+ and enjoy owning with her newly buffed self...but Mario is too fun. He is definitely my B+ main (after being in and out of the spot of my Brawl secondary).

His comboing is so intuitive. It's great for me, who doesn't like to memorize combos.

<3

Spoonbob

Smash Ace
So, Mario+ers. Anything going to happen here? lol.

I do second the notion of a matchup discussion starting in here.

Top Bottom