• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why hasen't the damage ratio setting ever been utilized?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I will say that I love to change the damage ratio. Matches in Brawl do last too long, especially when both players are campy. The idea to post a topic like this is not originally mine. This could have been mentioned long before the tier list or major tournaments even came out. I do remember it being mentioned in another topic at the bottom of the first page called "A new way to play Brawl", but the TC of that topic screwed it over by mentioning Heavy Brawl as the main focal point while actually having a decent idea he mentioned as a secondary point. I will try to go into detail about that secondary and more worthwhile point.

We already alter the rules to make the game competetive already. We change a singles match to a 3 stock instead of a timed match, and for doubles, we turn team attack on. The damage ratio has probably never been explored in depth because all of the damage formulas the community has created would have to be redone. Chaingrabs of characters like Falco and most likely Pikachu would have to be re-explored. The kill zone threshold of attacks, the survivable percents of attacks, the percents for"combos"and other stuff like that would have to be thrown away. I can understand why we have never suggested the change to the damage formula, it is a much more drastic change to the game itself than changing the standerd of play from time to stock. We all know this and I am probably crazy and selfish for even mentioning it, but bear with me until the end of this opening post.

The damage formula basically works in that the lower you set it, the harder it is to kill opponents whereas the higher you set it, the easier it is to kill them. The advantages of setting it higher is that for one, it would supposedly make matches faster. It is, for all intents and purposes, true primarily due to th fact that we cannot POSSIBLY be more campy than we are now (well we can be, but the game would be unplayable at that point).

Another aspect it would change is that there would actually be a greater balance between the risk and reward aspect of mounting an offense. Obviously it does not counteract Brawl's defensive system by any reasonable means, but it would be a generally good thing for characters to be able to kill their opponents in 8-12 moves instead of 11-16 moves. The dilema here is that characters like Snake, DDD, Wario, and other hard hitting characters with moderately good damage racking ability would be monsterous. It is hard to ignore Snake killing Bowser at 100 damage, but one of the negatives to the alternative already in place would be to let characters like Falco, Diddy Kong, R.O.B., Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf and others have to get their opponents to 150 beforeputting them in kill percentages. Here are a few reasons on why a higher damage ratio would be beneficial if used:

1. Stale moves negation would be impacted somewhat by this. Characters like Peach, Toon Link, Wolf, etc. can build their opponents to high percentages (percentages we normally see in Brawl) and not have to worry about their kill move that they used once or twice failing them. Stale move negation impacts the top tiers less than the lower characters due to them having alternative means of killing, or multiple good killing moves.

2. Matches obviously last less time. Long matches are not inherently bad but when they feature mostly camping and no offense, a minute of time shaved off per match does not sound horrible.

3. Four stock matches for doubles. Four stocks is a much better alternative than three stocks when sharing stocks is an option for a team. Currently, you usually have a situation where one character losses all of their stocks and his partner is on his second stock at moderately high damage. You can steal his stock and he most likely dies soon after or you let him get double teamed for the rest of the match. This situation is moe reasonable with 3 or 4 stocks and the higher damage guarantees that the match won't drag on for extended periods.

4. Meta Knight is not buffed as much as most of the cast from this. While most characters are buffed by an increase in the damage ratio, Meta Knight (as well as Lucario due to him gaining strength as he takes more damage) barely benefits from this primarily due to the fact that he gets a lot of his kills from gimping. All this really does is make it easier for the other characters get back in the running if they fall a stock behind MK.

5. Catching up is a little more feasible. The law of probability states that the more times you take a chance (like approaching Olimar gets you grabbed 60 percent of the time and you succesfully hurt him the other 40 percent of the time) the more times that you will fail. Failing is deadly in a game like this. The more times you attempt to apporach Olimar, the more times you will get hit. Simply put, if you have to succesfully approach him 19 times in a match as opposed to 28, that is a great boon to the attacker. Changing the damage ratio is more of a boon to the attacker than the defender due to the approacher initiating the situation and having the power to control the initiating event that the defender reacts to.

Truthfully, I would want this to be implemented in competitive play due to Brawl matches often times lasting too long. I do not claim that this would fix character balance (it would honestly buff DDD more than any other character, but most high tiers have a neutral/advantage on him anyway), but a change to the damage ratio would improve Brawl's gameplay in general. But I mainly wanted to toss out the idea as I have never seen anyone seriously go indepth on the idea. Discuss.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Slightly tl;dr and WALL OF TXT'D, but I think I managed to catch most of it.

Two problems I immediately see in addition to the ones you mentioned:

1. It's too fundamental to the game mechanics to **** around with.

2. Making kills easier encourages even campier play than we already have. When all you need is one solid hit, nobody wants to risk being on the receiving end of it.

3. Is it actually more competitive, though? Even if what you say is true and some characters get some nice rebalance shizz going on...that doesn't actually necessarily make it more competitive.
Serious question, cause I really don't know. DOES it?
(Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not totally ignorant. I realise that balance is critical to a game's competitive value.)

4. ...nobody's gonna go for it :p I really doubt it XD

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Slightly tl;dr and WALL OF TXT'D, but I think I managed to catch most of it.

Two problems I immediately see in addition to the ones you mentioned:

1. It's too fundamental to the game mechanics to **** around with.

2. Making kills easier encourages even campier play than we already have. When all you need is one solid hit, nobody wants to risk being on the receiving end of it.

3. Is it actually more competitive, though? Even if what you say is true and some characters get some nice rebalance shizz going on...that doesn't actually necessarily make it more competitive.
Serious question, cause I really don't know. DOES it?
(Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not totally ignorant. I realise that balance is critical to a game's competitive value.)

4. ...nobody's gonna go for it :p I really doubt it XD
I absolutely agree with numbers 1 and 4 (which kinda makes me sad). And for number 2, it would be quite a feat to play even more campy than we do now.

I can't prove number 3. You were right that the current damage ratio is too fundamental to the game mechanics (though I did touch on that in the second paragraph). We would need a lot of research to prove any other setting is more competetive than the default setting. I don't claim to know how this would affect balance, but I do beleive that the general nature of Brawl and its gameplay would improve simply due to the fact that the attacker would not have to risk mounting an offense as much to win the match.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
It looks to me that some moves get huge boosts with changing the damage ratio while some moves hardly change at all.
Another rule setting that never sees any play is the show damage guage, i wonder how different that would be, probably mininal but still interesting

Sukai

Smash Champion
Well, the thing is, the metagame is evolved around the most ideal settings for competitive play.
Damage Ratio isn't considered a vital element in that.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
I doubt anyone will go for it but I think it would be fun. Its the kind of thing you want to do at a smashfest but it can't just be adopted into an already established tourney scene. It would be more like Brawl + which is out there but much smaller.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
1.1 damage is amazing, and is a viable choice to test out. I've done some testing myself, and it changes so many subtle things. Many chaingrabs are no longer as decimating, and stupid things are much less common. It even changes things like D3's infinite grab on Mario/Luigi/Samus. And by changes, I mean eliminates.

Try it out. 1.1 is pretty fun. I think I'll try it out again sometime soon and maybe make a post on it or something.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I actually used it last night when ****ing around with fellow smasher. It was 1.5 damage ratio so you could tell we really didn't care (that makes Ness' Fthrow ridiculous BTW)

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'm glad to see this thread, I've been wondering the same thing for a while... Considering 1.1 ratio elimates a lot of CGs and things judged "stupid". It wonder if it would have any effect on the few combos that exist with the 1.0 though...

As for camping, pros & cons :

+ When you are at high %, you don't want to be killed by one single move. (Doesn't change anything, every good player camps when he's at high % anyways...)

+ You don't stale your moves while camping, give % to your opponent, and only need a few moves to finish him... (I don't think it would change much either)

- Why would you camp if you can kill earlier ? A few attacks and the kill % is reached anyways. Furthermore, if you need less moves to reach the kill %, the stale move can be less discouraging...

- I would be easier to punish a campy player.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Does the damage ratio still break fixed knockback moves? (Or nerf utterly?) I know in the original it did, but I never used it in Melee, for some odd reason.

SHUCKLE MAN

Smash Cadet
When I play I find that I hardly ever DON'T change the damage ratio. It allows me to customize my battles. Do I want many KOs a minute, and everything to be chaotic, or do I want a slow-paced, peaceful battle that lasts an eternity.

Infact, one of my friends had 1.3 as his default in Melee. I should probably find out why...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
When I play I find that I hardly ever DON'T change the damage ratio. It allows me to customize my battles. Do I want many KOs a minute, and everything to be chaotic, or do I want a slow-paced, peaceful battle that lasts an eternity.

Infact, one of my friends had 1.3 as his default in Melee. I should probably find out why...
I'm assuming you don't attend many tournaments. Not that tere is anything rong with playing the way you wanna play, but hen it comes to competitive gaming, there needs to be a standard, and this customization would never fly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I forget exactly what damage ratio changes, but from what I remember it has the most significant effect on base knockback and not as much on the %-based variable knockback growth. This leads to some odd and unexpected changes, like hitstun on certain base-knockback attacks, send power on normally universally weak attacks, and the tendency to cause someone to fall to an attack rather than slide.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Changing the ratio is pretty good, especially 1.1, and its all due to limiting silly things like broken chain grabs

Also, the knee of justice gets unnerfed :D

XienZo

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't see what is so "fundamental" about the x1 damage ratio. How is the most ideal for competitive play if its esssencially an arbitrary "Sakurai" number? The Brawl x1 ratio has nothing to do with the Melee x1 number, nor is it related to some hidden Smash-physics constant. So why do we all declare x1 the standard if Sakurai just decided it seemed fine under his own non-competitive criteria?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Generally, many decisions are arbitrary, but I think we usually want to stick with what we're given unless it proves to literally be unplayable or unfavorable.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I mean, we have just 15 possibilities, and each can change much of the metagame, potentially fixing issues. I can see why we want to start off at x1, but I don't see the logic in creating all these complaints about the metagame that we see everywhere without trying out these potentially easy fixes.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
u know, i'm with u guys on this, but it will mess a _lot_ of ppl up if tourneys switch the damage ratios up now.

sure if it happened we'd all adapt -- but the community might tear itself apart. civil war style. i mean, we'd have brawl original supporters, brawl 'damage' supporters, and brawl+ supporters (who may be like, 'if we're going to be making changes, why not use brawl+ instead? it's already tested/balanced').

it's an uphill battle to change the status quo. i don't know if ppl are willing to rally behind something this big.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This... actually does sound interesting.

*will test*

Gates

Banned via Warnings
MK can actually be chaingrabbed by Dedede at a 0.8 damage ratio.

Just saying...

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
MK can actually be chaingrabbed by Dedede at a 0.8 damage ratio.

Just saying...
And at 1.2 damage ratio, everyone below Luigi in weight is incapable of being chaingrabbed by the King. And lol at your avatar. XD

Though I want y'alls opinion on whether 1.1 or 1.2 is a better damage ratio.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wouldn't making moves more capable of killing just encourage camping. It becomes even more important to not get hit when you can die at 50% as mentioned above. Aside from messing up the chaingrabs we all know, wouldn't it just make other complained about tactics more viable. If one character has a projectile that does 2 damage and a smash that kills at 100% normally, hitting with that projectile once is 1/50th of the way there, as opposed to 1/25th of the way there. Isn't that far more "worth it" to camp when 1% damage is twice as important as it was before. I can only see something like that helping a character that is currently more likely to be gimped than killed off of the side or top of the level.

I don't think anyone meant using 2.0 ratio, but that is just my view on the subject. Lowering the damage ratio is likely to promote even more repetitions/chaingrabs/locks and Raising it is likely to promote camping.

mofo_

Smash Ace
lol on wifi i like to change it to 0.9,1.1 or 1.2 no one ever notices it, until they actually change the rules themselves

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Wouldn't making moves more capable of killing just encourage camping. It becomes even more important to not get hit when you can die at 50% as mentioned above. Aside from messing up the chaingrabs we all know, wouldn't it just make other complained about tactics more viable. If one character has a projectile that does 2 damage and a smash that kills at 100% normally, hitting with that projectile once is 1/50th of the way there, as opposed to 1/25th of the way there. Isn't that far more "worth it" to camp when 1% damage is twice as important as it was before. I can only see something like that helping a character that is currently more likely to be gimped than killed off of the side or top of the level.

I don't think anyone meant using 2.0 ratio, but that is just my view on the subject. Lowering the damage ratio is likely to promote even more repetitions/chaingrabs/locks and Raising it is likely to promote camping.
Do realize that we camp A LOT already in Brawl. It would be quite hard to camp much more noticably than we do now. It might not be even possible to camp more noticably than we do now, and if such camping is possible, we will most likely see it being used in high level matches ANYWAY, regardless of damage ratio settings.

Though if you are able to consistently outsmart your opponents and are able to land hits during an approach on a regular basis, then this helps the approacher since he only has to risk his hide for only 75% (arbitrary number) of the time. The defender does not benefit from this as much because, other than projectiles that are for the most part being only a minor deterance and being only useful for forcing someone to approach, the defender can only react to an approach and most often do not have anything to force a particular response from the approacher.

Tesh

Smash Hero
People camp a lot, yea. But I still don't see how this would hurt camping. For projectiles that have knockback (to be honest I don't really know for sure which ones have low knockback and which one simply have only hitstun), wouldn't it help them, as hitting with a projectile resets a situation far more than before. I don't see how this helps the guy who isn't camping more. Its not like raising knockback improves power shielding or air dodging or using an attack that overpowers a projectile. Its still the same game isn't it? It just makes each hit more relevant. It certainly doesn't make it easier for the person approaching to outsmart the camper.

On a broader perspective, it actually gives the the aggressive person less opportunities to adapt during the match, if he dies faster. Overall, I think i just means less of the same thing would be required to get the same result (excluding the impact on chain grabs and low knockback repititions).

person701

Smash Journeyman
@TC: Glad my topic inspired you.

I'm imagining spammy MK's killing with tornadoes at 50%
Not quite. Of my four main characters, this is what I've found.

Falco: obviously a lost CG. Lasers also seem to push others back a bit when they hit (or maybe this is also in 1 ratio? never noticed).

Marth: Tippers can kill around 20% less than x1 ratio. Downfall is that it's possible to jump out of his dancing blade on the final down B (or at least a G&W could).

MK: I'm not an expert with him, but he definatly doesn't feel the same, though not a whole lot changed.

D3: He got the most boost from all my four. Duuno how except that his Bair is a great edge guarding tool (if it wasn't before).

I'm really only highly experienced with Marth and Falco so ya.

@HomE

Smash Ace
I dont think anyone has brought up how ridiculous Ganondorf and possibly Ike would be. I have not done any testing but it was have to be a very small increase or Ganon would be killing lightweights at 50%. and i dont even want to talk about Ike's F-smash i mean its has STUPID knockback already, i dont want to be KO'd at the edge of any level at 11%(arbitrary number)

but besides that I REALLY like this idea, Its so simple and it would (theoretically) fix alot of stupid problems.

Although, I would assume it would be next to impossible to implement any changes to the touny scene and this point...

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I haven't had the time to play 1.1 in a long while, and I still won't have time for a bit. Has anybody tried it and have any impressions?

JOE!

Smash Hero
heavyweights benifit a ton from this....

Warlock punch kills at like 30-40ish %

Bowser/Snake/D3 fsmash is crazy as well

HizoSturm

Smash Apprentice
me and my frineds set damage ratio extra high, choose a custom stage that is a box, set firebox and the bat as items on high, and play as captain falcon.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I originally tinkered with this when someone said that brawl doesn't have combos because the hitstun was only big enough when the characters where at too high of a percentage and went to far away to combo. Of course, gay chain grabs insued and I abandoned before considering increasing the ratio.

And I also wonder what Blad says.

Also, Dededee doesn't completely get the biggest boost from this, because we loose our chain grab. I'd say Donkey Kong is again an incredible beast.

EDIT- I find 1.2 to work best.
It gives characters who have trouble killing reliable kill moves, tornado spam becomes difficult for some reason as many characters are hit out of it early. And Dededee's and Falco's chain grab is gone on most characters.

What I feel about it encouraging campy behavior.
Not true.
Camping was in Melee, and was hardly as frustrating because you had reward that getting through the camp could get you.
In Brawl, there is hardly ever a chance to kill out of camping. This could disrupt camping by giving high reward.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Wow, I suggested looking into this months ago, people are just starting to do this now, typical.

For the naysayers, don't assume yet whether or not the game will be better or worse, sure with lower locks and such will be more prevelent, and camping becomes more powerful, but we need to weigh it against all the pros and cons, and we don't know what they are until completely tested.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
This is definitely worth looking into. I've thought about it before on several occasions, but I thought this was already shot down before.

I have not done any testing but it was have to be a very small increase or Ganon would be killing lightweights at 50%.
Yeah, gotta make sure to not let arguably the worst character in the game become any better. Can't let that happen, no sirree.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Garquille14 said:
@HomE said:
I have not done any testing but it was have to be a very small increase or Ganon would be killing lightweights at 50%.
Yeah, gotta make sure to not let arguably the worst character in the game become any better. Can't let that happen, no sirree.
The point is that he becomes kinda ridiculous. It's OVERcompensation.

And he's the second-worst character in the game ;D

Delvro

Smash Ace
1.1 damage is a LOT more fun. I STRONGLY support changing official tournament rules to 1.1

Haven't tried 1.2 though so no comment there

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
I think there should be analyses performed on each viable damage ratio. I would say 1-1.5. Even if 1.5 is a rather drastic jump, I think it should still be looked into for good measure so we can see the entire spectrum and understand it all rather than determining the validity of 1.1 damage ratio. I think this is a very important subject and deserves more light.

The point is that he becomes kinda ridiculous. It's OVERcompensation.

And he's the second-worst character in the game ;D

It would have to be a very high amount for it to be overcompensation. And I said "arguably" he is the worst. I believe he is the worst and CF is the second worst.

gocubs44123

Smash Cadet
It would give the strong characters such an advantage over the lighter ones.

At the preset 1.0 Ratio I have been killed by snakes side smash at 40%.

If you up the ratio to speed up the 3-7 minute smash game then you have snake with the ability to kill at like 20-40%.

Not a good idea in my opinion.

Top Bottom