• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Max Out- A Kansas Melee tournament 5/2

Jace08

Smash Lord
We're hosting a melee tournament at a bar and coffee house.

Where: The Daily Dose

12056 W 135th St
Overland Park, KS 66221

When: Saturday, May 2nd; Registration begins at 11 am

Doubles will start at 12 pm.

Singles will begin when doubles is over.

Cost:
$10 for doubles
$10 for singles

Venue Fee: $10 - Will include a voucher for a fountain beverage and light snack (Will be waived for those who bring a cube/wii PLUS a tv)

Payout:
- 1st - 60%
- 2nd - 30%
- 3rd - 10%

There will be tournaments of other games going on there if you are interested:

Street Fighter IV (PS3)
Guilty Gear Accent Core (PS2)
Soul Caliber IV (PS3)
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (PS3)
Street Fighter 3S (PS2)
Street Fighter HD Remix (PS3)

Times for those games are on the flyer: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v98/LasTAxioM/?action=view&current=maxout_flyer.jpg

Rules for Melee:

What you'd expect-

Items off.
Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked.
The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourthfifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked.
Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
For doubles Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.

Legal Stages:

Neutrals
- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Pokemon Stadium
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)

Counterpicks
- Pokefloats
- Jungle Japes
- Kongo Jungle 64
- Mute City
- Rainbow Cruise
- Brinstar
- Green Greens
- Corneria

Lastly, PLEASE BRING SETUPS! It will really help everything go smoothly and we won't have people waiting for open tvs.

Confirmed Setups-
Jace (1)
Arkive (1)
Dmac (1)
Strong Bad (1)

Maybes-
Fake Pc Chris (1)
JBM (1)

So it looks like we're doing pretty well on setups, and now space at the venue is an issue ><... Thank you all for coming and bringing a setup. Let me know if I need to change anything.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lol @ team IC's

i can bring a gamecube, not a tv. will that waive the venue fee, or perhaps half of it?

Jace08

Smash Lord
I pmed Axiom about it yesterday. I'll let you know what he says.

Edit: He says that they will waive the venue fee if one brings a tv with a gamecube or Wii. Sorry, only bringing a console won't cut it. He says it's necessary for the place to make up for the sales that they're losing that day.

Ziv I play ICs in teams sometimes. Depends on a few things. I'm okay at dodging missiles, but Nana gets ***** by them the second we get desynched.

Anyway, I thought you played your main, Fox, in doubles?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I pmed Axiom about it yesterday. I'll let you know what he says.

Edit: He says that they will waive the venue fee if one brings a tv with a gamecube or Wii. Sorry, only bringing a console won't cut it. He says it's necessary for the place to make up for the sales that they're losing that day.

Ziv I play ICs in teams sometimes. Depends on a few things. I'm okay at dodging missiles, but Nana gets ***** by them the second we get desynched.

Anyway, I thought you played your main, Fox, in doubles?
I like fox in doubles...but right now Falco would be my main for singles.

Unfortunately though, I requested the day off for this at work and they denied me.....so I guess I can call in? I get 1 sick day every month.....but then I'd lose my monthly attendance bonus.....Shame you can't do this on the 3rd, since I have that day off.

I'll let you know by this sunday if I'm going for sure or not. Until then, still consider me your doubles partner. And you can pretty much use any char you want lol we're gonna **** no matter what.

Is Darkrain coming to this?

adhdsoad

Smash Lord
Is Darkrain coming to this?
It's a possibility... he lieks teh moneyz :)

I remember back in the day TZ and I would be pumped for the local Lawrence tournaments then Dmac and Z would come and take our money. YOU NEVER KNOW MAN!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
It's a possibility... he lieks teh moneyz :)

I remember back in the day TZ and I would be pumped for the local Lawrence tournaments then Dmac and Z would come and take our money. YOU NEVER KNOW MAN!
Psshhh

Darkrain LOL. DARKRAIN! LOLOL!

Sorry......not sure why I'm laughing.

I still don't know if I'm going to this.........gotta decide if I want to call in or not....

probably not though

Jace08

Smash Lord
Ziv noooo... Is your monthly attendance bonus equivalent to the money we'd make in teams?

And yeah I can't change the date, sorry.

D

Deleted member

i can bring a set up so write that **** down or something jace

i'll be there early cuz friendlies are 2gud

Jace08

Smash Lord
Thanks for the heads up, Arkive. I'm now more concerned about space at the venue than our actual setups, unfortunately. But yeah I guess I could make a list in the first post. Oh, and I'll be there early for some practice too.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
hey jace you wanna team for this? we make a pretty good team if we ever cereal teams lol.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
how many people are going to this?

is dark going?

and if we show up at like 230 3 will we be there in time for singles?

edit- we need to know if it will be ok if we show up around then. jace plz post letting us know if we will make it in time for singles. are singles pools being done?

Jace08

Smash Lord
Uh yeah I don't really know for sure, JBM. I posted this in our thread a week or so ago to try and answer your questions:

And yeah who is coming to Max Out? I'm hosting the dang thing and I don't have a clue ><. Seriously, post soon saying that you plan on coming because I don't want JBM and the others driving all that way for like a 10 person tournament. Thanks.
Most of the crew didn't respond, meaning either they aren't coming or they're too lazy to say that they are. Some of our crew did, respond, however. I know that Arkive, 8bit, Dmac, Strong Bad, Jturley, Axiom, and of course myself will be there for sure. I don't know if Dark is coming or not.

So the time when singles starts depends on our turnout, as does whether we do pools or not. 2:30 should be okay for you guys to show up for singles, but I'd feel better if I could talk to you tomorrow morning on the phone when I have more concrete information to give.

So yeah pm me or post your number or something. I honestly don't know if we'll get enough players to make your drive worth it, or if we'll have a good turnout that you'd be missing out on. Wish I could be more helpful...

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
so is us making it on time determined on when doubles gets finished up? or are you gonna hold up for us regardless? cuz i think we are going

edit- k jace well i am pretty sure that smeesh myself and secks. are comin for sure. If you can hold out for us we will make it there, playing with kc before the upcoming tourney this month is what we were mainly coming down for so its no biggie

but can we please have pools?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there were 9 people.
dmac and z were in grand finals and we were like "okay this is crap" so we went to cherry smash without doing grand finals.
secks. got 3rd though.

dmac

Smash Champion
even if it was tiny it was still fun, lots of cool things happening if you liked other fighters haha

axiom is a cool guy he should have more of these, but more melee people need to show up -_-;; its only as good as we can make it. it was about a good a 9 man tournament can get lol

Jace08

Smash Lord
That night's cherry smash definitely made up for this tourney's shortcomings. Thanks to the few of you who did show, especially Nebraska driving all that way good stuff.

Top Bottom