• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede's chaingrabs frame by frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
How EXACTLY does this work? I just got my Wii back, and I was wanting to do some testing with chaingrabs on slopes and such under frame advance, but as it turns out just the regular chaingrab proved non-trivial.

The idea as explained on the King Dedede boards is to buffer a dash out of the down throw, shield to end the dash, and then do a standing grab. This is supposed to work on Luigi and be the generally best chaingrab. What I've been doing is:

-Down throw -> buffered dash
-Input shield on the second frame of the dash smoke cloud (this is the frame in which the dash sound effect happens). Inputting it earlier seems to cause a roll. I hold the shield button here.
-Input A (continuing to hold shield) 18 frames after that, which is the frame the shield animation appears. Inputting the grab even just one frame earlier results in a dash grab.

This doesn't work at all. It whiffs on not only Luigi but also Peach, and even worse, the other character has a handful of frames in which they can spotdodge.

For that matter, just buffering dash grabs doesn't seem to be working for me on Peach (she slides too far). There seems to be a timing that gets her, but it's hard to pin down just where it is.

Does anyone else know more about the frame timing on this? I am totally failing to figure out the frame optimal pattern to chaingrab with King Dedede, and something is really funky with the running chaingrab on Luigi business (it just doesn't seem possible).

EDIT: I figured out how it works. You need to keep holding forward as you shield. The actual frame perfect timing for King Dedede's chainthrow is:

Down throw -> buffered dash
Input forward + shield on frame 5 of dash (the second frame of the smoke cloud and the frame the dash sound is made), continue to hold
Once the shield graphic appears, release forward (optional)
On the third frame of the shield graphic, input A (you should still be holding shield)

This chainthrows Luigi, but you have to be literally frame perfect (if you're one frame too slow, he gets out). I conclude that probably impossible to do consistently. If anyone else wants to do testing with King Dedede's chainthrow, this is the optimum method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom