• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallax

Smash Hero
Luigi

General Discussion

Soon to Come

Pika's Advantages

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pika's Disadvantages

Strategy for Winning

Helpful Video's

Overall Matchup

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Hmm, I'd have to think about this...
I'll add more if I get time, but I think Luigi will have to make good use of fireball, and his most ranged moves. Because they are lacking, this could be a good match up. I don't see any out liars on either side yet.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
OMG. >< I have.... stuff to write. But I'm at work atm, so I'll have to wait 'til I get home to do something in-depth.

This matchup can be really frustrating, but it makes me laugh. :laugh: Weegee's just.... funny.

I say 50:50 -- granted, we all know I hate putting numbers on things, but I think the MU's pretty evenish, maybe very slightly in Luigi's favor. I'll elaborate later.

King~

Smash Champion
IMHO opinon one pikas hardest matchups

dont quote me on this but i think most of luigis aerials out prioritze everything pika has(especially his Nair)

i cant get to deep as i am tired and drugged up(not really, but something close to it) i feel theres just alot of patience and spacing involved in order for pika to pulls this out

40:60 wigi

gameplayerj9

Smash Rookie
Here's what I can figure, as a mid-level Luigi.
1. Thundershock stops the Tornado, and may be one of the ones that blocks the fireball. Can't remember. That limits our ground approaches to... not much.

2. Aerial-wise, as I believe someone said, bair outranges and nair outprioritizes most if not all of pika's aerials. If you must get into an aerial fight, try to be in front, since fair has the small start up lag and I believe your fair beats it outright anyway. Your best bet though is to *carefully* go for thunder to make us land (or if it hits, maybe die lol). But not if we're too close to the ground, then your asking for an fsmash to the face or shoryuken from the weegees with better timing.

3. Speaking of thunder, it is a real problem for Luigi's recovery, especially if we got up high enough (with nado) to get caught in the cloud. Happened to me, not much I could do about it. If we've got enough time we can wait and get past it (or try to hit you) with Green Missile, but of course we are then very vulnerable upon landing. Lag=pika fsmash.

4. Yay segways! Your fsmash out ranges our ground game, so if you can time it you're good. If you get in a spot dodge contest, I'm not sure which of our dsmashes comes out quicker but I know your jab does. Jab > dsmash may work.

5. Off the top of my head I think your recovery might be difficult as well. We'll try to bair you before quick attack comes out, or just regular edgehog if that doesn't work.

Summarizing, you've got the ground game and we've got the air. Unfortunately the air is where Luigi is normally playing. Recovery is about even, both predictable and punishable. Even though I personally have a little trouble with pika, I'd say for better Luigi's and Pikachu's it would be even or slightly in our favor, 55/45.

Try to find CR4SH, he fights a pikachu player more regularly.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
1. Thundershock stops the Tornado, and may be one of the ones that blocks the fireball. Can't remember. That limits our ground approaches to... not much.
It blocks the fireball if they hit each other, but they usually go around one another. Either way, it makes approaching with your projectile a not-so-great option.

4. Yay segways! Your fsmash out ranges our ground game, so if you can time it you're good. If you get in a spot dodge contest, I'm not sure which of our dsmashes comes out quicker but I know your jab does. Jab > dsmash may work.
Hmm, if I were to jab with Pika, I'd probably jab until a trip (the minimal hitstun makes following up kind of hard otherwise.... unless you really catch your opponent off-guard), then grab or fsmash or something.

In any case.... spotdodge wars..... lol.

Pika's dsmash > spotdodge, especially since if you're spotdodging, you risk coming out of it just in time to get hit with dsmash's last hitbox. Thunder setups ftw.

Off the top of my head I think your recovery might be difficult as well. We'll try to bair you before quick attack comes out, or just regular edgehog if that doesn't work.
Edgehog.... Pika....??? :laugh: You would have to know for sure that Pika was going for the edge (which isn't a given unless we're in a really bad position) and time it perfectly on top of that. He has a huuuuge ledge sweetspot, and if we knows you're going to try to edgehog, we'll just recover to the stage.

Bair does kind of mess up QA, but the beauty of QA is that it's highly unpredictable.... it can go in almost any possible angle. We can just go around you.

Summarizing, you've got the ground game and we've got the air. Unfortunately the air is where Luigi is normally playing. Recovery is about even, both predictable and punishable. Even though I personally have a little trouble with pika, I'd say for better Luigi's and Pikachu's it would be even or slightly in our favor, 55/45.
I dunno if I agree with all of your reasoning, but I could see rating this 45:55 (in Weegee's favor). I still think it's closer to even, though.

.....I still need to write my opinion on the matchup, don't I?

Anther

Smash Champion
Psh, wigi in the air, let him be in the air. When he's up above, try to get under him, and look for opportunities to either uair him or punish his landings with dsmash / fsmash / grabs.

Shield tornado, watch for up-b's, edgeguard him ferociously, dair works really well for just getting good edgeguards out there with its large and lingering hitbox, and when he recovers, remember that he has lag at the top of the tornado recovery and nair him back off the stage again, you'll rack up a lot of damage and gimps this way.

At 0, fthrow to usmash him, higher percents, fthrow and maybe dashing in and shielding will work, I'm not sure. Your awkward bair will beat aerials your staple moves won't beat... but ... it's awkward. XD.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
Could be a hard to tell matchup. They would both have to make use of their projectiles. Luigi wouldn't really have any use getting above pika. Overall I think it's pretty even matchup

gameplayerj9

Smash Rookie
KayLo!

My reasoning wasn't really all up to par, I think I wrote that at around 3 in the morning. But I think you fixed most of it, especially the part about edgeguarding ;_; Where was I on that one?

Anyway all in all I think this matchup depends a lot on stage, as a lot of Luigi's matchups seem to. We do well on stages with 'lots of shenanigans' as cr4sh says. Namely Brinstar. I don't know where Pikachu's usually counterpick, but flat stages are generally bad for us. You can exploit that pretty easily, not as well as Falco but hey.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Basically: Get underneath him (and use whatever to keep him up there), don't be completely in his face because his nair comes out fast and can kill pika pretty quick, tjolt, fsmash spacing, and get him off the edge.

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
Weegee's an interesting one.

As long as you can avoid his stupid up tilt to aerials "combo", Pikachu should do fine (although that applies to most characters). My strategy is to get him while he's on the ground. Getting under him works too.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
if he's camping under a platform while you're at a decent kill percent, then he may be baiting an up-b. Punish him quickly if it fails.

Don't get too close to him or else he may jab-up b for an easy kill.

TrIkZ

Smash Cadet
You could gimp luigis recovery so much by a thunder and if they get out of that, double thunder! :D
definitely a spot dodging match. i say 51/49 pikachu. Pikachu gets the 1 for being so **** adorable. other than that 50/50 even.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
to me this is a very interesting matchup, I am not an expert on wigi players cuz i never seem to get to play any. could someone post make a guide for this please haha??

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Well, from my matches against Boss's luigi, it felt relatively even (he and I didn't really know the exact details of the matchup... but were pretty skilled to figure out what to do). Remember, 57 damage is the magic number against bowser on FD when dealing with fire uppercut (if you don't have perfect DI) for instant KO. That means pika may die slightly earlier.

-DONT EVER HAVE LUIGI Power shield THE FIRST HIT OF DSMASH... fire uppercut is guarenteed.
-land away from luigi if possible (since jab>uppercut is true combo against almost all characters if their sprite is still in the air); QaC landing lag is epicly bad against a fire-punching-crazed luigi--dont screw up the spacing! :O
-luigi's retreating d-air>whatever spam is an annoying shield pressure move that's hard to punish if you don't powershield or know what you are doing--be weary of that.
-double b-air could take out t-tolts (aerial, and sometimes grounded too O_O), so spammers beware
-watch out for jab-cancels>dsmash, that'll work on pikachu. Jab-cancels to other wierd crap are also possible if pika is getting frustrated--get better spacing/defense.

-I feel i did better against luigi around ledges (only few aerials/fireball-reverse b-air and other stuff... sorta easier to predict, take with shield, and punish away)
-if luigi starts banking on ledge, a jump off thunder may result in stagespike ^_^ (landed it on Boss)
-Bait n-air's and other aerials early (so n-air cant autocancel and punish them from below with OoS stuffs and other stuffs like what anther said
-The jabs are most annoying to me in this matchup personally. I try to perfectly space/time a retreat, full hop jolt whenever i read that he's gonna jab cancel approach. When I sense that he's going f-air/b-air zone/spam I try to rush and hit/grab him OoS (out of a powershield preferably)
--if the jab cancels come out when i rush and shield or something, i will try to aerial out of shield and reposition myself for whatever's next.
-after b-air is done from air to ground, be weary of buffered, pivot jab cancels (which are also annoying and are surprisingly long lengthwise for those unfamiliar with the matchup)
-luigi's d-throw to u-tilt and techchase regrabs are scary-ish if you can't read at all

-u-air combos get luigi real good if you can read his airdodges and can cover a tornado--milk that situation as much as possible!
-b-air is good but you need to time/space slightly after luigi's sweetspot hitbox fades. It nails luigi in the little time of lag he does have (which is really good considering luigi is one of those speedier aerial spammers).
-I do less fast-falled foward airs in this matchup and use it to whittle down the top of luigi's shield whenever i land it.
-My u-tilt to thunder ko's seem to work better for me in this matchup as opposed to other smash attempts; you guys could try other things tho

Hope this helps. I'll hope to beat Boss next time ^_^.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot to say about this so i'll come back, but for now, just space/camp the **** out of him. Make him approach. I'd say the matchup is 50/50, maaaaybe 55/45 in luigis favor, but only if the pikachu is too aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom