• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Sonic

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Sonic matchup.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
From my limited experience with Yoshi vs Sonic matchup, Sonic gets very shut down by Yoshi's pivot grab game. If you spam them on the ground he can't just run up to you or do any of his ground running attack game, and you have him in the air which , quite honestly, where Yoshi's back air dominates him. Whenever I fight Sonic no matter what character I use, I use the same strategy. I find some way to stop him from running at me on the ground, then when he has to take the air I spam my highest priority attack because he has such low priority in the air. It works great with Yoshi IMO.

bigman40

Smash Master
If you can hold this discussion to maybe after like.....mid may...I can give some input here. For the most part though, I think that it's our advantage.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I have a good sonic around me, he gives the #1 mk in the state trouble with him actually (or maybe he sandbags him). Either way he's an amazing sonic and so far I've won more matches against him than the other way around. Pivot grabbing doesn't really shut down sonic as he can actually punish empty pivots (so I've learned), it's an annoying match but in yoshi's favor none-the-less

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
I mainly use b-air, n-air, pivot grabs, and dash grabs in this match-up. Of course, the best thing to do is to make Sonic come to you rather than trying to approach him.

Fortunately, we can chaingrab him.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
stop just out of pivot grab range to lure it, then whatever
Does Sonic have the ability to stop anywhere he wants suddenly? If so, I'd love to learn how to do that with Yoshi so I can run up to people and downsmash. In Brawl you can't stop on a dime, there is some sliding lag when you press down, and during that sliding lag you are completely vulnerable. The sliding lag is almost equivalent to the cooldown lag to Yoshi's pivot grab, so I don't understand how you can be punished.

Unless there's something Sonic can do that other characters can't when it comes to momentum on the ground?

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
Does Sonic have the ability to stop anywhere he wants suddenly? If so, I'd love to learn how to do that with Yoshi so I can run up to people and downsmash. In Brawl you can't stop on a dime, there is some sliding lag when you press down, and during that sliding lag you are completely vulnerable. The sliding lag is almost equivalent to the cooldown lag to Yoshi's pivot grab, so I don't understand how you can be punished.

Unless there's something Sonic can do that other characters can't when it comes to momentum on the ground?
Yoshi can stop on a dime after a run with his DR, it's just really REALLY hard.

bigman40

Smash Master
Yoshi can stop on a dime after a run with his DR, it's just really REALLY hard.
For your controls it is lol. W/o tap jump for the Wiichuck, you will have a super hard time getting it (I might be wrong, but I didn't try it much). For Classic Controller and Gamecube controller, it's pretty simple as long as you don't try XXA or YYA

Yikarur

Smash Master
if we grab Sonic out of a upBdair/upB he's dead :p
The using of Egg Toss is restricted because the egg toss last too long so you get punished most of the time if he dodge the Egg Toss.
Empty Pivot grabs gets punished by grab,neutralB.
A very importan thing is to not being grabbed out of your second jump while recover. Sometimes he grabbed suddenly from nowhere and you don't expect it because afore he was far away :p

I think it's in our favor as long as you are aware how to not get punished.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Sonic is very adept at stopping.

Between flashing his shield and canceling his side+B, he is capable of being very tricky.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Okay. I honestly didn't even know Shiri had put Sonic up. Oh wait nvm, it was put up in April.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
About Sonic's grabs, if you get grabbed and he uthrows you while you're at high percents, waitto airdodge so you're not hit by a bair or uair. If you dodge immediately you'll only get hit and killed.

:027:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
In my opinion, it's in the favor of Yoshi. I didn't understand the match-up though. But I got 2-stocked by Firefly. It's not a big advantage, but it's one that can help. I didn't Spin Cancel enough to avoid the pivot grabs... Those really put the hurt on me.

Sup Yoshi boards?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay so...

1] Is it bad that after reading the last couple posts with red in the authors' letters, the names started to blend together like Chisco?

2] I just got done playing with HatWithaCatinit for like hour and a half. Soooooooooooo fun, wow! Never played a Sonic that was fun to fight before and he taught me all sorts of stuff about the matchup.

P.S. - I should probably post what I learned, LOL. Well, first, DI is your best friend here. You have to know what to DI and how everytime because if you fall into Sonic's DI traps, you will eat the back air for free. Uh...oh, right, even if they're moving around a lot and spinning really fast, don't get discouraged. Yoshi has great mobility and even if you can't catch up with Sonic right away, there are ways to move him into certain areas of the stage and if you follow their spin and run patters, you can use that somewhat to you advantage (I mean this loosely because this is merely positional advantage and nothing else really). Uh...also, WATCH THE RANGE ON THE PUNCH!

P.P.S. - <3 CiTH

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
From my limited experience with Yoshi vs Sonic matchup, Sonic gets very shut down by Yoshi's pivot grab game. If you spam them on the ground he can't just run up to you or do any of his ground running attack game, and you have him in the air which , quite honestly, where Yoshi's back air dominates him. Whenever I fight Sonic no matter what character I use, I use the same strategy. I find some way to stop him from running at me on the ground, then when he has to take the air I spam my highest priority attack because he has such low priority in the air. It works great with Yoshi IMO.
Aerial priority wise Sonic is not bad at all
Hell Sonic's Fair and Uair have high priority.

If Sonic Uairs your Bair will lose every time regardless of it is the first or second hit.
Bair vs Bair, Sonic wins simply because at worst, you exchange and Yoshi will take more damage than Sonic would.

Bair just isn'ta good move to try and wall off Sonic or use aggressively against hm because of the way Sonic behaves He is already maintaining spacing by running about, you try to hit him with Bair and he'll just Uair you without worry.

Most sonic players dont use Uair as much as they should, its such an incredibly good move due to its priority and speed, plus, we can combo into a Utilt out of it when done properly.

Pivot grabs dont really shut down Sonic's game because of his ability to simply stop in place at anytime with his side B cancel. Hence why Olimar's dont try to grab Sonic very often, it just is not worth it because he'll simply turn around and punish you afterwards.

Pivot grabs are a good method in trying to maintain spacing, but ultimately, Sonic does have several methods of dealing with them.

Yoshi should treat the matchup similarly the way a Wario would handle Sonic. Because of Yoshi's superior aerial mobility, its much more easy to handle Sonic whenever he takes to the air He doesn't have the speed mobility and he has less speed than Yoshi as well.

The eggs are also extremely useful because of their bomb like behavior but again, you cant over use them because more than 1 will get you grabbed.

Play it patiently and its much easier to handle the hedgehog but you can't really toss out your moves in an attempt to brickwall him unless you are completely sure he wont be able to respond, otherwise, he'll just punish you every time.

Plus, Sonic has an issue setting up a kill move, the only one that is guaranteed is his Uair~Utilt which is at higher percents and can be difficult to land.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
About Sonic's grabs, if you get grabbed and he uthrows you while you're at high percents, waitto airdodge so you're not hit by a bair or uair. If you dodge immediately you'll only get hit and killed.

:027:
DI towards Sonic back and you won't even have to worry about that.

'Less of course Sonic's back happens to be very close to the edge/bastline/you're at a fine %age in which case you:

A) have no other choice but to die or

B) Don't get read and hope you live.

YAY! I love making my own character unviable, but I guess it would be selfish to keep information to myself.

This post.
C'mon man, I highly respect you for this kind of thing, but it just seems unnecessary to do this to an old post, especially one made by such a biased source that is unwilling to be moved, it's not worth the trouble. :/ :(

This makes me :mad: however.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Edit: Not going to Genesis afterall, can't say I'm not surprised or too sad about it but oh well I'm not going to baw here.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
If fighting a GOOD Sonic, the Sonic can be tough.

He can be fast, and tricky. Sure he doesn't have as much priority as Yoshi, but seriously, he can do some spiffy stuff.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If a Sonic begins charging up a spin dash, do not do a reactionary Pivot Grab or Egg Toss. They will just wait out the Pivot Grab and then go, or go under the ET. I'd like to look into Egg Roll against Spin Dashes though, I'll edit this post when I get a chance to test.

And after testing, it appears that Egg Roll is safe against spin dash. It will clank if it's still on the ground. If both characters jab immediately at the clank, the jabs will clank until they're pushed too far away. If Sonic Shields he can't shield grab Yoshi's jab. Egg Roll will trade hits with the hop at the start of Sonic's >B Spindash, which I count as a win for Egg Roll since it does more damage + Knockback.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Lol @ my last post.

Double posting for Shiri.

False, especially with yoshi, but other characters too, sonic doesnt have trouble with shielding while hes charging a spindash.

I like forcing sonic to commit to something and trying to get a string. You pretty much need to prevent him from starting stuff on you while getting chip damage.

sorry shiri
Pretty much true. It's even hard to start stuff on him since they usually end up springing away all day. Sonic is pretty weak if you get him to actually commit to an action, which is really helpful. Unfortunately, he's so fast it can be hard to capitalize on it. My timing was probably off, but I couldn't even dash grab the end lag on his Fsmash. >_>

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Because the thread REALLY needs something:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOqdDy3L0JU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFdZnHXODzY

watch and formulate, am I the only one that has a decent Sonic around me?
Nul, i live by X, he's in the top 100 smashers and is (i think) the only sonic on that list, so, no, there's me too :p

Btw, after playing X soooooo much, I would say that against a sonic, play defensivly, and bait him for the grab release. The best way to do that is by forcing him to use his spring jump. Bair is amazing against him, be a little catious with the uair, and dont dair offstage, he can still recover, (neutral b twice <.<). IMO the matchup is 55:45, not 60:40 though because yoshi's OoS is ballz so it's a little harder to get off completely spot free in a fist fight with him, but we have a definent advantage with a higher priority, weight, and a grab release

D

Deleted member

At above poster:

That list isnt used by anyone for anything.
X is obviously in the top 100 smashers, and is a national level player.
Those vids are of nul vs x, and that post was from a year ago.

=P
Just an FYI

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
At above poster:

That list isnt used by anyone for anything.
X is obviously in the top 100 smashers, and is a national level player.
Those vids are of nul vs x, and that post was from a year ago.

=P
Just an FYI
lol yes i know i just felt like being smart *** :p

but everything i said is true

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
Chase after sonic, if he begins charing just hit him with something, sonic's kill moves are not reliable so don't let him get an easy kill, but ur yoshi, u got some kill moves, just be patient, I say it's in yoshi's favor

Top Bottom