• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. R.O.B.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. R.O.B. matchup.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yet... R.O.B.'s air-game is completely shut down by Yoshi. Get him into the air and he becomes incredibly easy to juggle.

To tell you the truth, this is one of the few high-tier match-ups that I believe Yoshi has an advantage in. As in, 6:4 advantage. Seriously.

D

Deleted member

Uhh no.

Rob wins in almost every possible space because of his laser, his monsterous ftilt, and his ability to punish most everything we throw at him.
Just because we punish him while hes aerial, doesnt mean we can get him there easily or at all. Same thing with snake, except snake doesnt win everywhere. If you made one of hugs' zone charts with rob v yoshi, itd be ******** how little yoshi has that is green.

4:6 because we punish him so badly and eggs ****.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, where is that old match-up topic? I remember testing out this match-up in great detail...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: First two matchup threads are linked in the matchup thread sticky.

I'll try to find the R.O.B. stuff, but you'll probably be able to get it faster than I would.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
ROB has everything yoshi has but better

he camps better
spaces better
more priority
more kill moves
better recovery
can edge guard yoshi pretty good
have an amazing Ftilt

.Marik

is a social misfit
Arrrgh his lasers and his Ftilt.

Most R.O.B. mains also implement that AT where they throw the gyro, and slide... >_<

So annoying. R.O.B. camps and spaces so well, it's so hard to approach him and not get punished. =\

But... it can be done. We also have to egg spam, space well, and tilt spam. Works pretty well. Both players play defensive, so whoever spaces better and punishes quicker will have the advantage.

Anyways, what's a good counterpick stage for R.O.B.?

.Marik

is a social misfit
You mean Glide toss?
Rememeber, u can use DR to pickup and throw the Gyro.
Right, that.

And... I'm too familiar with the XXA playstyle and not the YB+C-Stick method...

So, I haven't learnt how to DR yet... >_>;

... :(

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
OK, here are some notes that I picked up while playing with soloSHADOWROB.

OK, lag cut us off, but we managed to get some good games in. I won most of them, but the point of these matches were to develop a better sense of the match-up. (Good games, by the way. :))

Some things that I've noted:

- Yoshi's f-smash beats out R.O.B.'s f-tilt and d-tilt. Take THAT, Sockz! =D
- R.O.B. is actually usually safe to shield-grab, as I managed to do it quite a few times against him. o_O
- Yoshi Bomb is a good move because it stops R.O.B.'s spot-dodge -> d-smash.
- Yoshi is VERY succepatable to a d-smash. However, a jab can clank with it. And then you can do another jab immediately afterwards and R.O.B. can't retaliate.
- I made the mistake of attacking usually when I'm recovering. Against R.O.B., this is NOT a good idea. Don't do it. Only air-dodge.
- R.O.B. can't deal with the eggs. I swear that my eggs along did like 40% every stock.
- Egg Roll is useless, and Dragonic Egg Lay may actually be dangerous to use.
- Beware of R.O.B.'s b-air. I'm now certain that this is his primary kill move for Yoshi.
- R.O.B.'s f-air is deadly. If he is facing you, DON'T confront him in the air.
- R.O.B. can really only reliably use his f-air and b-air. N-air is okay, but his u-air and d-air are useless.
- Like I've said: U-air = Dead R.O.B.. This is Yoshi's primary kill move for this match-up.
- Yoshi's d-smash works surprisingly well here.
- Yoshi can spot-dodge R.O.B.'s entire d-smash if you time it correctly. You can then punish with a Yoshi Bomb.
- Don't bother trying to spike R.O.B.. Just... don't.
- Yoshi apparently does well on Yoshi's Island, Halberd, and Brinstar. Very good stage choices for R.O.B..

Well, that's everything.
Discuss. People generally agreed with this brief summary, though. Did that change? >.>

Airborne

Smash Lord
personally, i'm finding that the supposed "invincibility frames" of the bouncing egg roll are very helpful, since it stops momentum initially for a quick second, and then gets in a good hit that sends them up in the air unable to punish you when you roll far enough away to get out of it. =P

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
About R.O.B.'s u-air, don't underestimate it. It's not as useless as you think, as it can wrack a decent amount of damage on Yoshi (Over 20% if all connect), and Yoshi has nothing on it if he's right above R.OB and R.O.B's in midair.

And what makes R.O.B. Safe to shield grab?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
^Yoshi's d-air beats his u-air (most of the time, at least).

As for the shield-grabbing, I forgot. Those matches were months ago. Maybe I should have put up more details on what moves Yoshi can shield-grab. =/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: R.O.B.'s up aerial is one of the highest priority aerials in the game with massive disjointedness.

I doubt Yoshi can beat it with anything, much less down air (despite how much priority the extended down aerial has).

One thing which I never remember to mention is that you should not be too close to R.O.B. when you're under 35%. If he nails you with an up tilt at any damage less than that, it's a free combo for him until 50% at least. Get caught at 0% and you'll wish you had played a little more carefully.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Meh, ROB's U Air's not that much of a threat, just SDI.

Your focus should be in getting ROB in the air close range and then abusing the blind spot. Yoshi will always have trouble in this matchup because:
-On ground approach, Yoshi has to face the projectile onslaught and then the risk of ROB's long *** ranged tilts still keeping him away.
-On aerial approach, ROB's F Air just simply shouldn't be confronted by Yoshi.
-The focus I mentioned is difficult for Yoshi to attain.

And unfortunately, Yoshi has to go on approach because he can't outcamp ROB : (

I'll elaborate when I can be bothered, but it's 60 : 40 ROB IMO.

Gindler

Smash Champion
So this is one of the three matchups where I just have a good feeling I'll be losing. I played a good rob the otherday and Bair gets shredded by his Ftilt. Spiked ROB at 100, he came back. Never confront a Good rob off stage if you miss you'll get spiked on recovery. Stupid lasers and gyro's get annoying, if I can finally grab the gyro then I'm able glidetoss Fsmash but still. I usually look at this matchup as a sure loss so I need ALOT of advice with this matchup.

Sorry for reviving this thread but I don't want to have to go samus on ROB in tourney...

Metatitan

Smash Master
i saw polt's brief summary on the matchup and i disagree with some of it, but the big one that stuck out was egg lay being useless. It is not. ROB is fat. Fat people get egg layed easily. ROB loves OoS options. Egg lay therefore rox

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Gindler, don't forget about DR.

DR nets you free gyros and you can do whatever you want with them after that.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
No, I didn't say that it is useless, I said that it is dangerous to use. I remember getting hit out of it by one of R.O.B.'s attacks a few times and then he proceeded to gimp my double-jumpless Yoshi. =(

D

Deleted member

Then dont DJC egg lay?
Egg lay is very useful without the DJC.

auroreon

Smash Ace
^ only if u dont know how to use it lol. its probly his most versatile move
Why has it become cool to love the egg lay? Im not saying its useless or anything, I use it all the time and it helps, but its not the great move that everyone seems to be making it out to be.
Its punishable, it doesn't deal much damage, its range isn't that great and you can't follow up with anything (No, you can't. If the opponant doesn't break out of the egg almost instantly then they just aren't very good.).
The bit that really ruins the egglay though s the invincibility frames they have when they break out, it completely ruins the move. Hitting the egg is difficult because of how instantly they can break out and as soon as they break out, you can't hit them but they can do anything they want.

I can see the positives to this move, it hits through shields, it gets them in the air, it gives you some room to breath. But if you can get an egg lay in then chances are you can get the job done better with something else.
As for the epic mindgames, to be hounest... its not that much of a mindgame. If you are playing against smart opponants who know what they are doing, being put into an egg for half a second isn't going to phase them all that much. If you are right in their face as they break out then your going to get hit thanks to the invincibility frames and if you are a length away from them they are just going to get back to a neutral position.

All that being said, it is a useful move and it sets up for some good stuff, like egg lay into egg toss to force the airdodge after they break out and punish with a Usmash. Im just saying its not what everyone is making it out to be, it could be so much better with just a couple of tweaks.

Oh btw, don't say I don't know how to properly implement the EggLay because I do.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I agree with a lot of what you're saying, Auroreon.

However, I think the real strengths of the Egg Lay are in its tactical applications. First and foremost, it is a very speedy forward reaching grab with the potential to be an airgrab (which is good in this game). Secondly, while the move itself does little damage, it is valuable as a reset move, allowing you to position yourself unhindered for about a second and a half and either rethink a battle strategy or to get into a range where you are more capable of pushing forward in the match.

Don't get me wrong, the move has plenty of drawbacks. One should never attack the egg, anyway, as all moves deal half damage to eggs, making attacking them almost completely fruitless anyway, and that's disregarding the invulnerability frames the enemy has on breakout. The damage scaling is something I have yet to confirm for this move, though, but it is punishable and has all the other bad points that many balanced moves do. This move, however, is designed to eliminate enemy options while giving you defensive and positional options that Yoshi would otherwise not have with the way he moves on the ground.

For damage and the immediate goal of racking damage to KO in time, this move is anything but good. If you look into a more abstract area of the match, however, you'll find that Egg Lay is good there, making its use in games pivotal to success at times when certain strategic maneuvers are necessary.

.Marik

is a social misfit
R.O.B. ***** Yoshi pretty hard.

60:40 at least. I came close to beating this R.O.B. player a lot of times, but I couldn't quite do it. R.O.B. pressures and camps too good.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
The egg lay is good because it makes the opponent second guess everytime they want to shield, and you can get into their head. It's not offensively good, it's good to mess up how someone is playing. It's the importance of how they play to avoid egg lay that works for me. Character spot dodge more or shield less, and suddenly it opens up a lot of Yoshi's combo game. I just love the fact that people are scared to shield my aerials whenever they get egg lay'd a few times. People suddenly play predictable.

Metatitan

Smash Master
The egg lay is good because it makes the opponent second guess everytime they want to shield, and you can get into their head. It's not offensively good, it's good to mess up how someone is playing. It's the importance of how they play to avoid egg lay that works for me. Character spot dodge more or shield less, and suddenly it opens up a lot of Yoshi's combo game. I just love the fact that people are scared to shield my aerials whenever they get egg lay'd a few times. People suddenly play predictable.
edrees we need to get some games with hugs and mabey form a solid ratio

Airborne

Smash Lord
i've played matches with who i believe is the best rob in the mw (if not everywhere but michigan b/c i don't how good any of the rob players there are) and all i can really say is that robs can easily control the match if they know how to use their gyro and laser. also, never try to egdeguard offstage aginst rob; it just doesn't work. and the problem with egg lay against rob is that they are more prone to spotdodging and dsmashing our approach more than shielding, and the dsmash is going to outrange every single one of our attacks. =\ playing robs is fun but very anooying at the same time, if anyone can understand what i mean by that.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: A good counterpick stage against R.O.B....

Hmmm, that's a good question.

I've had the best luck on Smashville because the low ceiling accentuates Yoshi's vertical KO abilities, gives him a pretty good breadth horizontally to survive, has an empty space underneath the stage to give you different angles to grab the ledge from, and has the moving platform to avoid some ledge camping and to extend offstage combos. Smashville also sets up for my favoite edgeguard against R.O.B..

Places to NOT take R.O.B. are any stages with a dip in the middle. Halberd, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Norfair (though you may have success here if you don't let R.O.B. keep platform control), Frigate Orpheon, and any other stage that lets R.O.B. set up in the middle at the bottom of a slope is a bad idea. He makes approaching very hard and can just nestle himself in for a long and arduous fight.

Metatitan

Smash Master
battlefield is probly the best way to go. idk why, i always do better against rob on this stage. norfair is not a bad stage to take ROB to, low ceiling helps your KO potential and your ledge game is better so you should do well here.

Airborne

Smash Lord
how would green greens suffice? i really want to test this stage out for yoshi and see if it will help him out in match ups that we may have difficulty killing in.... i know rob has nair and dsmash for kill moves, as they send you vertically, but i think it would help us out to an extent if we play it right.

Top Bottom