• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Koopa R&D: Bowser Metagame and Standard Advancement, last updated 5/17/09

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Bowser is one of those characters that at first glance, seem to be like Game and Watch; simply using what he has and seemingly all he has to partake in the competitive community. We, the Bowser boards, know that this is far from true.

With the advent of koopakhopping and various other things we have worked to make Bowser better then ever before.

Of course, as in anything, there is always room for improvement, and this is especially so for Bowser.

In this thread I aim to solve (or try to) solve many of Bowser's shortcomings with out of the box solutions and possibly different styles of play to adapt to the rest of the community. As with anything else I do, input and suggestions from the rest of the boards are welcomed.

So, lets begin!

--------------------------------------------

Research Topic Numero Uno, Ledge Options (4/21/09-?/??/??)

Generally, Bowser's Ledge options are terrible with a few exceptions (ledge attack <100%, stand up <100%). On paper, his best option is to generally ledge jump, as it is his fastest choice (as opposed to his below average stand up and terrible ledgeroll).

With that being said, his ledge jump is also predictable (and very so) once used once too many. So, it is to this extent I propose these solutions:

1. Ledgehop Lagless Fair (LLF) - This one I still haven't completely figured out just yet. But, the idea is basically drop from the ledge, double jump, fair, and land with no lag. It may not seem possible and you can still get lag, but I assure you once done right a perfectly lagless version is possible. As I said, I haven't figured out 100% why or how this is possible, but I'm still working on it.

2. Ledgejump Dair > Follow up (LDF=Ledgejump Dair Followup)- This one was inspired by JayDeth, to be honest. He mentioned doing a ledgejump dair and being able to grab the ledge, so I experimented with it. Well, the results were... actually pretty promising.

To not land on the stage, while the dair is started DI back towards the ledge and grab. If wanting to follow it up, DI farther back to avoidi the ledge and just DJ to whatever. (Holding down to avoid the ledge works even better, as you are close to the stage.)

LedgeJump > Buffer Dair------>grab ledge

-----> Jump and Koopaklaw: start a koopahop

-----> Jump and fair, hitting on stage

The third value is the variable that can change depending on what you wish to do.

Of course, this does require a ledgejump and is probably better relegated to the start of the match or so, or otherwise providing you haven't been crazy with it. It is very flexable and grabbing the ledge can lead into mix-ins, suxh as ledgerolling, standing, ledgehop, etc. Very good mix-ups include -

LDF > ledge grab > Ledge attack

LDF > ledge grab > Ledgehop Klaw

LDF > DJ > Fair

LDF > DJ > Koopahop (Klaw)

3. Ledgehop Klaw - Fairly simple, but still very, very good. It's a basic ledgehop to a klaw which can go through shields, start a koopahop, etc. It also allows safe return to the stage since landing lag is only 3 frames. this would be best used vs. someone waiting to punish a ledge attack and have their shield up, or even to get around their attempted punishment with a koopahop ninjamove. Pretty much self explanatory.

4. Empty Ledgehop > [attack] - Used for opponents far from ledge; best used with good range, including ftilt, jab, etc. A nice klaw can also intercept would-be punishers.

5. Ledgehop > firebreath. Relatively simple and effective, DJ towards the direction of the stage, and fire. This will catch many people with its range.

6. Ledge Cancel Bomb > Followup - Really nice to do if you like Bomb canceling, and goodto be flashy, as well. It works like this:

Ledge cancel bomb> hit them (hit, not kill) > ledge jump to a bair, klaw, fair, uair, etc.)

Granted, it only works if they are hit, but if they do thats a possible ~30% right there if the follow up does connect.

Another Variation also exists; Ledgejump > DJ to the ledge > down b immediately. You can grab the ledge really fast this way and mix it in with several other ledge options.

7. Ledgejump > Fair - Fairly obvious, but a very good option. Fair hits everywhere on the stage at the same time, so it is nice to use buffered out of a ledgejump. This can also lead into a klaw hop and a menagerie of other things.

8. Doesn't exist yet. Bowser boards, give me your input on any ledge option you think may work, or may not work. At this point, all we need are possibilities.

Bowser Klaw Techchasing/Throw Followups (4/22/09-?/??/??)

After Bowser's Klaw actually connects, and after the slam, Bowser bounces back into the air a little bit. The only useful action out of this hop is to double jump, and at lower percentages (<40, varies with characters) can be tech chased with that double jump. for instance:

1) Side B > DJ > Fair. Useful at low percents, though avoidable if they jump soon enough. However, if they delay their jump, then it could hit them out of it setting up a gimp opportunity.

2) Side B > DJ > Side B. Very nice and flashy, and I have done this on many an occasion. It's good for gimping double jumps (if the reaction is delayed somehow), and does approximately 35%, if the klaw is fresh to begin with.

3) Side B > DJ Fastfall > ground chase. Good if they tend to jump backwards out of you klaw, a they are usualy susceptible to another klaw, grab, or usmash, if they're still airborne.

3) Side > DJ > Koopahop. A nice way to continue your koopahop after a successful grab. Just continue koopahop mindgames and this is applied very well.

----

Grab> UThrow> Jump> Uair, Bair, or Side B.
Throw Followups

Sometimes, a grab release just won't do it, especially on the characters resistant to ground breaks or have ineffective aerial releases, a throw i best bet (or of course, they're on the ledge). Bowser's throws have bad knockback and are good for chasing, especially uthrow and down throw.

1)Fthrow :
Fthrow> Fair
Fthrow> Bair (if their jump is delayed)
Fthrow> Side B
Fthrow> Up B
Fthrow> Chase> Down B

2) Uthrow :

Uthrow>Jump>Uair
Uthrow>Jump>Side B
Uthrow>Jump>Bair

K yeah. I don't use throws much (plus I'm lazy) So you guys give me your throw stuff (and side b lolol).

Battlefield: Best Neutral Ever(4/28/09-?/??/??)

So, it's been decided basically that Battlefield is one of Bowser's best neutrals, due to many reasons;

Platform camping vs. chaingrabs, platforms for easy usmashes, spam nullification, etcetera..

But here is some food for thought.

Ever in this situation?
Good. You WANT to be in this situation moreso than any other. If you find yourself here, do this:

Use USmash to knock them off the side of the platform....

"Oh, God **** it..."

That just happened.

A shielding opponent on a platform can be knocked off with a usmash, and will enter a freefall state off the side. They will land on the ground, vulnerable to just about ANYTHING YOU HAVE (minus grabs). Ftilt, dtilt, fsmash, another usmash, up b, DOWN B, ANYTHING.

But, what if they are trying to platform drop as to not land in this situation?

Well, attack them before they reach you!

Yeah. Wait.. NAIR?!? Blasphemy, you must be kidding.

Yes, nair. It also autocancels on the platforms, it knocks anyone off, shielding or not. Yes, it does ****. Quite.

A rising nair ALSO hits the top platform. But a better option is available, however...

AHHHH OH GOD

Right. Bowser bites your feet and you go flying.

A short hop uair hits on the top, knocks them off, so if they land on another platforms, proceed to dash > usmash or something to that effect.

Just some stuff you should use to continure to **** on Battlefield.

Although it adds more of an "f u" kind of style.

BATTLEFIELD ****: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk55lEfeOrU

Jab Cancel In-Depth(/5/5/09 (cinco de mayo loolol) -?/??/??)

Jab canceling in Brawl is very important to nearly character's metagame, some especially (Captain Falcon says hi).

Bowser's jab cancels are important, but of course not completely necessary. Think of them like grab releases; very nice to use but not central to a win.

Ok, let's start this off simple.

Bowser's jab frame data (or at least the parts we will use for now) are such:

1st jab total: 20
1st jab hits on frame 6
1st jab shield hit lag: 7
1st jab shield stun: 7
1st jab advantage: -14

(feel free to correct me on any incorrect information, as I may be wrong on various parts of frame data)

Whats important to us right now is the 1st jab's advantage: -14. That basically means a disadvantage of 14. Basically, the enemy has 14 frames to escape.

Now, take this -14 and subtract from it the frames of startup of the move you are jabcanceling into. Lets use ftilt, as an example.

Jab Cancel Ftilt:

1st Jab Advantage = -14 frames
Ftilt Startup = 10 frames
-

So, the enemy has a 24 frame window to escape from the jab cancel ftilt, a marginally long window considering shield comes out on frame 1.

JAB CANCEL > MOVES LIST (frames available to the enemy to escape)

(aerials are slow as the include the jump frames, so are not as reliable as others)

Jab cancel ftilt = 24 frame window
Jab cancel dash attack (looks cool) = 24 frame window (when IDA (instant dash attack))
Jab cancel down dtilt = 24-25 frame window (dtilt's first hitbox is apparently vague)
Jab cancel utilt/reverse utilt (i think this is impossible as jab knocks them too far back, but still) = 21-27 frame window
Jab cancel dsmash = doesnt work, not even going there
Jab cancel fsmash (EPIC) = 36 frame window
Jab cancel usmash (possible with head hitbox) = 30 frame window (not counting the dash)
Jab cancel nair = 31 frame window
Jab cancel fair = 31-33 frame window
Jab cancel dair (very nice, actually) = 37 frame window
Jab cancel bair = not going here, though im sure it's very escapable
Jab cancel fire = 37 frame window
Jab cancel klaw = 21 frame window
Jab cancel fortress = 20 frame window
Jab cancel bomb = 25 frame window
Jab ancel dash grab = 24 frame window

That's basically it, excluding other random stuff out of jab cancels.

One thing caught my eye though, and it was found while i was doing these things.

Jab cancel > usmash with his head.

His head does 15 damage alone. With the first jab included, that is 20 damage tacked on.

But, the more important thing:

BOWSER's USMASH ACTS AS FOX'S UTILT AT LOW PERCENTS

That's basically it. When his head hits, the enemy barely moves at all, and they land just as Bowser is ready to attack.

Yes, you can dash grab from it, enabling more options. Such as:

Grab release > jab cancel usmash > grab to something else.

This works on most if not all characters.

After jabbing once, dash and place your usmash so it hits with his head, and then follow up how you please.

Bowser's Dair: No longer Lame (5/17/09-?/??/??)

So, I was screwing around earlier when I found Bowser's dair canceled Pikachu's tjolt. Knowing me, I obviously had to test this for everything. Since I have no one to assist, KirinBlaze did it for me with his bro. Here's what they found:

Link's Uncharged Arrow from up close goes under the Dair.

Dair stops Link's Fully Charged Arrow on the side. If you Dair to early is just goes under you.

Dair stops Link's Gale Boomerang.

Dair stops Samus's Homing Missle and Strong Missle, Bowser takes no damage.

Dair stops uncharged Power Shots.Anything from Half Charged or above shots trade hits.

Kirby's Final Cutter Projectile beats Bowser's Dair.

Fox's Laser beats Bowser's Dair.

Dair stops Pikachu's Thunder Shocks, grounded and aerial, from the side and underneath.

GnW's Meat **** beats Bowser's Dair.

Dair cancels out Luigi's Fireballs from the side and underneath.

Banana's hit Bowser out of his Dair. Bowser Catches them if close enough with Dair.

Din's Fire beats Bowser's Dair.

Shiek's needles beat Bowser's Dair.

Bowser's Dair stops Pit's Arrows from the Side and Underneath.

Falco's Laser's beat Bowser's Dair.

Dair beats Ivy's Razor Leaf and Clancks with the first of of Charizard's Fire breath.

Dair catches Snake's grenade if times correctly, bounces off taking no damage otherwise. This is the same for Link's/Toon Link's bombs with the exception that they explode on contact.

Dair cancels out Peach's Turnips.

Dair reveses IC's Ice Blocks. Blizzard beats Dair.

Dair stops Waddle Dee's, taking no damage and gettiing rid of them. Gordo and Dair trade hits.

Wolf's Laser beats Dair.

Dair stops uncharged Aura Sphere, trades hits with Full Charged

PKFire (Ness) won't hit you if you SHDair.

Dair beats PK Thunder form side and bottom.

Dair beats Uncharged Arrow from Toon Link. Fully charged Trade Hits. Dair beats TL's Boomerang.

Upon further inspection Link's Fully Charged Arrow Trade's hits with Bowser's Dair on the side, cancel's out on the very bottom.

ROBs Laser beats Dair, Gyro Clanks for a bit then hits Bowser.

Olimar's Pikmin beat Dair and latch to Bowser. Dair does not hit them while attached.

Luca's PK Fire beats Dair, oddly enough First hit of Dtilt stops PKFire, Dair beats Lucas's PK Thunder.

So basically, Dair can be used as an anti-projectile against most of the cast. Not only will it eliminae the projectile, it will continue going and hit the user if close enough.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Empty ledgehop -> [attack]

Clearly that's best suited for opponents farther away from the ledge. MrEh has demonstrated good use of it with Ftilt, I'd like to see an empty ledgehop -> fortress hog.

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
Ledgehopped flame breath? If they are close to the edge and you predict their shield (i.e. you've been conditioning him with fairs or something) or if they're far away and you think they will approach.

If they're really too close then just ledge cancel a bowser sit. If it hits them up (but does not kill them) then follow them in the air with a uair/fair/klaw.

For the LDF, are you saying hit back on the ledge then do a rising dair? Is this going on to the stage or will I magically grab the ledge after i do this?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Math, for the LDF you just ledge jump dair, and di towards the stage's ledge. Depending on whether you held down, you will grab the ledge if you aimed it correct. Holding down will not sweet spot it at all. I also added this to the section.

And about the Bowser sit, do you just mean aledgehop > down b?

EnragedMathlete

Smash Cadet
I was thinking if they were camping close enough to the edge for them to be right on top of you.

ledge hop > down b > (assuming they're in the air by now) dj > uair/fair/klaw
alternatively, if you just hit their shield then maybe try the LDF. It should shield poke since their shield just ate a down b, no?

B!squick

Smash Master
****, good stuff Gen. It should be important to note that Bowser has a pretty good ledgejump from what I can tell. It's cerntainly not as obvious as Charizard's, lol.

I think my Tech thread has a small section about Bowser's ledge game that's sorely lacking. I'll link to this thread on there.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Yes yes.

By the way, this thread is meant to be about everything Bowser sucks in, like his ledge game, lol. And yeah, JayDeth, you were the inspiration for the whole thread rofl.

As soon as we get everything we can on the ledges, we'll move on to something like... Say, grab release mindgames? In depth klaw drop? Offensive aerial up-b? Who knows, we're here to suggest and test and that I shall stand by.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
****, good stuff Gen. It should be important to note that Bowser has a pretty good ledgejump from what I can tell. It's cerntainly not as obvious as Charizard's, lol.

I think my Tech thread has a small section about Bowser's ledge game that's sorely lacking. I'll link to this thread on there.
Last night I was tearing my friends up with Bowser and Lucario (One had lag though, I felt for him), and now I am stinking again. Can you give me advice on efficient dodging and Shielding aside from the obvious training? Like concepts to think about that could stimulate my thoughts during a match?

B!squick

Smash Master
Last night I was tearing my friends up with Bowser and Lucario (One had lag though, I felt for him), and now I am stinking again. Can you give me advice on efficient dodging and Shielding aside from the obvious training? Like concepts to think about that could stimulate my thoughts during a match?
Well, you mention lag, which means WiFi and let me tell you from personal experience that Bowser is pretty bad on WiFi as I'm sure you've already figured out.

That being said, Bowser does his best work OoS. Unfortunately, even a small amount of lag makes it difficult to shield properly, especially power shielding. So all I can reconmend is to shield sooner than you would offline (try to predict as best you can) and mix it up a dodge or roll now and again, preferably a SHAD. Otherwise, wear out Fortress, lol.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
Obvious one here.

Grab > Fthrow> Fair, Bair (if they delay double jump), SideB, UpB, and Chase> DownB.

Grab> UThrow> Jump> Uair, Bair, or Side B.
More later.

B!squick

Smash Master
I really need to experiment with his throws. I always just did Grab Releases even if the options were bad or even not there since I don't have Vex's chart memorized, lol. UThrow when under platforms should be basic knowledge.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I really need to experiment with his throws. I always just did Grab Releases even if the options were bad or even not there since I don't have Vex's chart memorized, lol. UThrow when under platforms should be basic knowledge.
You talking to me?

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
I like to ledgehop to air dodge(is this empty ledgehop?) then fortress. If it's shielded, you can slide back offstage to avoid some forms of punishment.

B!squick

Smash Master
Those pictures are amazing! :O Good read indeed. Most people tend to stay away from the platforms like it's the plague though. This is why. :)

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
By the way...

Im thinking of adding shiz about crawling..

It isn't that bad and generally helps (me) in the Falco/MK matchups.

(lol crawlspacing)

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Updated.

Jab cancels stuff as the idea was given by JayDeth.

Btw, about the usmash... Why do I always find weird stuff when Jay asks me to do something? xD

B!squick

Smash Master
XD Who knows. I am the crazy person who thought a ledge jumped Wave Bounced Firebreath was awesome, lol.

There's just one problem with your Jab cancelling stuff. Notice something missing from the frame data? We have shield stun... shield hit stun... but where's regular hit stun? :<

Epic find with USmash though. Seems like Bowser can combo, who'd have thought?

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Right, I only took the part of the jab frame data that was relevent to a clean cancel, with no enemy shielding. That's why that is.

And yeah, I'm sure the usmash thing is escapeable at some point, but what isn't in this game?

And it is pretty epic.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
would it be good frame data wise to fall to the groung and grab if they side step a aerial klaw.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I have found something that could be useful. It may be common type of stuff but I wanted to give it a name.

[Pseudo-Bounce]
This is a different type of bounce in the fact that it doesn't really use the Wave Bounce at all. This instead incorporates using the Double Jump in accordance with the C-stick set to Smash. You jump or SH then press the C-stick into almost any aerial right after the Double Jump. This will have a Pseudo-Wave Bounce effect on your DI. If your opponent likes air chases, SH this and cause some possible mayhem for them.

Later!

Top Bottom