• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBVGC GameFest Brawl Tourney - (Santa Barbara, CA) - (04/25/09)

YFDHippo

Smash Rookie
The Santa Barbara Video Game Club will be holding a Brawl Tournamnet at Game Fest. Our annual lan and tournament event.
Last year we had a good turnout for brawl, and we are hoping this year we will be getting more for both brawl and SF4.
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4372/89478377.jpg

Here's a video of the second to last match of the Grand finals last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_zg9QfwnDQ

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl Tournament Rules
Registration and Match Rules

Registration
Registration will be available at the event. Doors to the event open at Noon. Additionally, look for preregistration through http://www.sbgamefest.com This will reserve your spot without going through the hassle on the day of. You'll just show up, show your ID which we'll check against the list and you will pay then. Cash only for the $5 entry fee for tournaments. Entry into Gamefest is free.
Pot distribution will be (70%, 20%)
Starts @ 2:00PM. Check-In begins @ 1:00PM.

Match Rules
Bracket Type: Double Elimination
Match: Best 2 out of 3
Finals: Best 3 out of 5
Stock: 3
Items: None

Character Selection
1st Game: Standard or Double Blind*
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**
Time: 7 minutes

Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

Stage Selection
1st Game: Neutral Stage - If one can not be agreed upon, it will be random from the neutral stage list.
2nd/3rd Game: Counter-Pick**

Time-Out Decisions
1. Most Stock Left
2. Least Amount of Damage
3. 1 Stock Sudden Death

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Starter/Counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

No Stage may be used twice.
Standard Selection
Full Rules can be found here
http://sbvgc.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4663

We will also be having a Street Fighter 4 tournament, as well as BYOC, Rock Band and a booth for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, plus more .
So come on down to SB and have some fun.

Directions

Santa Barbara City College
721 Cliff Dr
Santa Barbara, CA 93109
East campus

Just off of the castillo exit on the 101
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...qK3OkP&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

YFDHippo

Smash Rookie
1. 4 days from now? Really?
2. You didn't post where this will be
3. Your google maps link doesn't work
4. No melee at this event.
1.Yeah, the person in charge of getting to boards never made a post.
2.fixed
3.fixed
4. We only have so much space.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
No offense, but you waited to long.
Not many are gonna come from SmashBoards for this, is it even on AllisBrawl?

Rules:
Your counterpick rules are broken.
Winning player can't change character? **** playing DK then. Winning player chooses stage if loser switches character? WTF?

I plan to play in this tournament in the most annoying way possible.

mio

Smash Ace
SB Gamefest '08 was my very first smash tournament, period... has it really only been a year? I'm glad this was posted so late, now the competition will be just as scrubby as last year (i remember like 5 ffa friendly tvs LOL).

Sorry Quizno's, Levi and I are gonna go **** this ****

YFDHippo

Smash Rookie
No offense, but you waited to long.
Not many are gonna come from SmashBoards for this, is it even on AllisBrawl?

Rules:
Your counterpick rules are broken.
Winning player can't change character? **** playing DK then. Winning player chooses stage if loser switches character? WTF?

I plan to play in this tournament in the most annoying way possible.
Fixed, the rules now reflect more of the basic Smash boards rule set.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
More questions from me:
5. How much are entry/venue fees? Will there be a venue fee?
6. Can I bring a setup to waive the venue fee? Do you guys need extra setups?
7. Can I bring a melee setup for me and anyone else that wants to do friendlies? :bee:
8. Where exactly on east campus is this? (what room?)

YFDHippo

Smash Rookie
More questions from me:
5. How much are entry/venue fees?
6. Can I bring a setup to waive the venue fee?
7. Can I bring a melee setup for me and anyone else that wants to do friendlies? :bee:
8. Where exactly on east campus is this? (what room?)
5. The Tournaments are the only things, with a fee. (besides food and drink)
and it is 5 dollars. Entry to Gamefest is free.
6. Sorry, everyone must pay the tournament entry fee to participate. (even those who are bringing setups sadly)
7.yes, you can, Though you will have to bring your own tv to continue playing melee during the tournaments.
8.East campus cafeteria, there will be signs pointing towards it day of.

is it singles only?
Yes

mio

Smash Ace
I looked on the pre-registration site and all it shows is Brawl and Street Fighter IV for the tournament line-up. Last year you guys had Halo 3, GH, etc... are you gonna have any more game tournaments or is that it?

There was a perfect DDR Max 2 machine on free play there last year... if you guys still have that available and want to run a DDR tournament, I will run it for you (i have a lot of experience)

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
I looked on the pre-registration site and all it shows is Brawl and Street Fighter IV for the tournament line-up. Last year you guys had Halo 3, GH, etc... are you gonna have any more game tournaments or is that it?

There was a perfect DDR Max 2 machine on free play there last year... if you guys still have that available and want to run a DDR tournament, I will run it for you (i have a lot of experience)
We will be taking interest signups throughout the day and launching tournaments as time permits. Last year, time and space really became an issue. But we do plan on having more if all else permits. Please note though that even if we don't, we will still have 8+ Xbox setup for open play of a variety of games, last year's Rockband setup, the arcade, and the provided LAN computers.

As far as the DDR Max 2 machine is concerned, we are currently talking with it's operator and we are expecting that it will once again be set for freeplay. The rest of the games will be set at 1 quarter.

And lastly, hello everyone. Some of you may remember me from last year as I organized the event (It's my baby) and made the posts on these very boards. I apologize for being so late to post this year but it we have had our fair share of cluster****s and this event requires the cooperation of just about every department on campus to coordinate everything.

With that said, response has been even greater this year and we expect to see a larger turnout than the 250+ people we had last year. For those of you that came last year, I can't wait to see you again and to those of you that didn't, I hope you can join us this year even on such short notice.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Perfect Max2 machine?

The left side has buttons that don't register, the right side has a sticky right arrow, and the other arrows aren't so hot either. I used to play on that machine twice a week and would get a AA once in a blue moon :(

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Perfect Max2 machine?

The left side has buttons that don't register, the right side has a sticky right arrow, and the other arrows aren't so hot either. I used to play on that machine twice a week and would get a AA once in a blue moon :(
We've complained a lot and had that machine worked on by it's operator on several occasions. It is certainly in better condition than you remember it but I won't make any claims as to perfection. It is definitely usable as Mio mentioned. And from the looks of things, it will be set on freeplay for us as of tonight.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Ooh, I have another question. I understand you guys only have 40 spots for computers.
What about laptops?
I might have my laptop on me for the event, for PC gaming/emulation stuffs, but might not have it out all the time, as my #1 reason for being there is Brawl.

Are you guys gonna have a space with outlets for laptop?
(I know how hard it is to find outlets there)

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Ooh, I have another question. I understand you guys only have 40 spots for computers.
What about laptops?
I might have my laptop on me for the event, for PC gaming/emulation stuffs, but might not have it out all the time, as my #1 reason for being there is Brawl.

Are you guys gonna have a space with outlets for laptop?
(I know how hard it is to find outlets there)
That shouldn't be a problem. We should have some extra table and outlet space.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I guess imma bring my wii, my laptop, and my magical sd card of hax.

EDIT: I'm at the venue. They made me carry stuff. My hands hurt. If I lose the tournament, I have a john prepared.

Also, this morning, my jump button on my controller got sticky, so i took it apart, and then put it back together, then my r trigger wasn't working, so I had to take it apart again, then my l trigger wasn't working, ****

DanteFox

Smash Champion
I guess imma bring my wii, my laptop, and my magical sd card of hax.

EDIT: I'm at the venue. They made me carry stuff. My hands hurt. If I lose the tournament, I have a john prepared.

Also, this morning, my jump button on my controller got sticky, so i took it apart, and then put it back together, then my r trigger wasn't working, so I had to take it apart again, then my l trigger wasn't working, ****
that's why you leave the controller disassembly for the pros, like me. :bee:

Dantarion

Smash Champion
that's why you leave the controller disassembly for the pros, like me. :bee:
I won the tournament. With my reassembled CLEAN controller.

I didn't lose a single match the entire tournament.

That "SCAR" guy almost beat me by playing DDD vs DDD on castle siege.
Mio got second...um....

I got 120 dollars in my pockettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

It was a well run event, and I am happy to say that there was only one person that used metaknight the entire tourney, as far as I know. I ended up using him in the final set twice, first, because I decided to mix it up and double blind pick metaknight after playing snake and dk all day, and again, because for the 3rd round mio picked rainbow cruise, which dk does poorly on, and my snake is iffy on.

Also, I hit someone with mortar+mortar+grenade.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
good stuff eric. takes notes children: metaknight wins tournaments lololol
+1 mk tourney wins for the tourney placing rankings. :(

bahahahhahahaa

it was fun ****** everyone at melee and making it into losers finals against mio and getting raaaaaaaped
btw you and robert are dirty pirates. LOLOLOL

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Yeah, you took me from like 0-65% or something first life Luigi vs Snake.

Unfortunetly for you, Battlefield is my favorite stage :D
C4+mine+grenades+upsmash = A lot of stuff to get around.
And if you get around that....ftilt :D

mbrannon

Smash Rookie
Thanks for coming everyone. It was great to watch and I had a blast starting this event and organizing it for it's first two years. This will be my last year organizing it (at least I hope or think so) and it was a great event to end on. I hope you all make it back next year.

Junk DGH

Smash Apprentice
dont announce how much you win if you want to keep winning money

you can bet your *** if there isnt a big tournament that same weekend some much better players will show up no matter what the notice is next year (since they now have an idea for the competition and prize)

as far as mk goes, it really doesnt matter until the top levels
because you should be able to beat scrubby mks (aka every non ranked mk) with any character, and srk beat tyrant in a crew battle match straight up so even thats possible

congrats on the win and i hope everyone had fun

Top Bottom