• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MIB - Midwest is Best - The Biggest Smash League Ever in the MW - Featuring MEW2KING!

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Samurai Panda and Rofa present:

MIB - Midwest Is Best - A Super Smash Brothers Brawl League - Season 1

How it works

MIB is a Super Smash Brothers Brawl League that will span 6 months (August 2009 - January 2010). We are currently in talks with several sponsors, and can assure you that this will be the biggest Smash League that the midwest (or perhaps the United States) has ever seen. There will be huge pot bonuses at every tournament along with prizes such as Nintendo Wii's, DS's and other gaming related products.

Here's how the scoring system will work:

At each tournament, players will receive MIB points based on their results. The point breakdown will look like this:

1st - 1000
2nd - 900
3rd - 800
4th - 700
5th - 600
7th - 500
9th - 400
13th - 300
17th - 200
25th - 100
33rd and below - 50

At the end of the season, each player will divide their TOTAL POINTS by 5 to determine their end point value and rank in MIB Season 1.

However, one thing that is unique about MIB is that when the league comes to a close, players will be allowed to drop their lowest score from the season. This means that if you have a horrible performance at one tournament during the season, you can still recover by placing higher at all the other ones. Also, if you are unable to attend a specific event, you can use that as the score that you drop at the end of the season. If a player chooses to drop a score, their total will be divided by 4 instead of 5 to get their end point value.

Schedule of events (Tentative)

August 2009 - "Michigan VS The World" - Ann Arbor, MI (WORTH 1.5X POINTS!!!)

September 2009 - ????? - ????

October 2009 - ????? - ????

November 2009 - ????? - ????

January 2010 - "MIB League Championships" - Ann Arbor, MI (WORTH DOUBLE POINTS!!!)

Doubles Points

Doubles points will be done on an INDIVIDUAL BASIS. However, when a player teams with the same person more than ONCE during the course of the season, both team members will receive a point bonus at each subsequent event that they both attend and play together at.

At the end of the season, we will find out who the best individual teams player is.

Team Point Bonuses

1st time teaming - 0 point bonus
2nd time teaming - 50 point bonus
3rd time teaming - 50 point bonus
4th time teaming - 100 point bonus
5th time teaming - 150 point bonus!!

And yes, we realize that this isn't the traditional scoring method. And speaking about things that aren't traditional:

METAKNIGHT

MIB Season 1 will consist of 5 events over the course of 6-8 months. We would like to announce that METAKNIGHT WILL BE BANNED FOR AT LEAST 1 EVENT!!! For those of you that disagree with this decision, remember that you are allowed to strike one of your tournament performances at the end of the season. And for those of you that agree, have fun playing in a huge smash tournament WITHOUT METAKNIGHT.

However, please note that the first event of the season, Michigan VS The World (worth 1.5X points) and The MIB League Championships (worth double points) will both have Metaknight as a playable character.

MIB League Crew Battle Championships

MIB will feature a Crew Championship. Here's how it works:

Crews will register online with a crew name and up to 10 crew members.

At each MIB League event, there will be a crew battle. Each crew will be allowed to use 4 - 8 of its members for the crew battle.

Crew Battle Scoring

1st place crew - 3 points
2nd place crew - 2 points
3rd place crew - 1 point

Prizes

At the end of the season 1st - 4th place in each category (Singles, Doubles and Crews) will receive prizes/money. Thanks to sponsorship and advertising, we are expecting a massive pot by the end of the season. The MIB League will take 10% from each event along with any extra venue fee money to use for the prize pool.

Specific prizes will be posted later.

Mew2King!

Yes, it is true. Mew2king is moving to the midwest for this smash league. He will be at all of the events, including the event where MK is banned. This is going to be the biggest smash league that the midwest has ever seen, and we need to show M2K the meaning of our name - MIDWEST IS BEST! Let's defend our turf and defeat MEW2KING (glares at anther).

More info to be posted soon (including the "Michigan VS The World" tournament thread), so keep checking this thread!

Panda and Rofa

ook

Smash Lord
Sweeeet. This sounds amazing, amazing, amazing.
I love you guys

wtf at banning Metaknight :o ??? lol
I love fighting MK :o

But dude, this sounds seriously ****ing amazing. Again.

All the best posts in the world are made after midnight, I knew it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
whoaaa. this **** almost seems way too good to be true. especially the part about m2k moving to the mw just for this circuit...lol. i have a feeling that this is a huge joke, but i'll play along in case it's legit.

i have one burning question. does this include ALL of the midwest? ie, will there be events hosted in the MWC-W portion of the region? the midwest is pretty ****ing massive...it'd be a shame if all of the events were in the michigan/ohio/indiana region. :\

rofa

Smash Journeyman
whoaaa. this **** almost seems way too good to be true. especially the part about m2k moving to the mw just for this circuit...lol. i have a feeling that this is a huge joke, but i'll play along in case it's legit.
it's not a joke. obviously, there's more drawing him here than JUST the circuit, but the circuit was a major part of it.

i have one burning question. does this include ALL of the midwest? ie, will there be events hosted in the MWC-W portion of the region? the midwest is pretty ****ing massive...it'd be a shame if all of the events were in the michigan/ohio/indiana region. :\
although we'd love to include you western guys, unfortunately, the west is just too spread out population wise. although we're not totally throwing the idea out the window, it seems much more likely that all of these events will be held in denser populated areas. chicago is probably as far west as i imagine this thing going.

yeah how about Toledo?????!?!?!
yeah, toledo would be a great option. look into getting a nice venue that isn't too expensive and hit us back!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
like you said you can strike one tourney for the sake of points.....perhaps because of that we could have one over here for us :( but yeah this looks awesome.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
First thing i thought was "...Men in Black? O_o"

this should be awesome though :D

Definitely looking forward to it

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Subscribed.

You may or may not see me making a cameo appearance at the Michigan events.

BunBun

Smash Master

At the end of the season, each player will divide their TOTAL POINTS by 5 to determine their end point value and rank in MIB Season 1.

However, one thing that is unique about MIB is that when the league comes to a close, players will be allowed to drop their lowest score from the season. This means that if you have a horrible performance at one tournament during the season, you can still recover by placing higher at all the other ones. Also, if you are unable to attend a specific event, you can use that as the score that you drop at the end of the season. If a player chooses to drop a score, their total will be divided by 4 instead of 5 to get their end point value.

This seems unnecessarily messy and broken.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe by having all the point values for the placings being so close together balances it out. I don't see how, but you've probably put a lot of time in in so I won't question it.

Good luck MW!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Here's how the scoring system will work:

At each tournament, players will receive MIB points based on their results. The point breakdown will look like this:

Umm, why not just divide all the initial values by 5 (or even 50) so you don't have to do any silly reducing at the end of the season? 20 / 18 / ... / 4 / 2 / 1 keeps the same ratio without the numbers inflation.

But yeah, this **** sounds like awesomesauce sealed in a can of whoop-***.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
Umm, why not just divide all the initial values by 5 (or even 50) so you don't have to do any silly reducing at the end of the season? 20 / 18 / ... / 4 / 2 / 1 keeps the same ratio without the numbers inflation.

But yeah, this **** sounds like awesomesauce sealed in a can of whoop-***.
because, the whole point of this system is that players can DROP THEIR LOWEST TOURNAMENT SCORE if they want to at the end (and then divide by 4 instead of by 5). it's like when you have a teacher who says all of your test grades for the school year will be averaged to give your final score.

if your five test scores are 100, 80, 90, 100 and 20, then your total test score is 100 + 80 +90 +100 +20 = 390, and then you do 390/5 = 78.

However, if you drop the lowest score (20), then you have 100 + 80 + 90 +100 = 370. And because you dropped one, you do 370/4 = 92.5.

So, doing it the way you suggested is not the same. Also, using the 1000 point scale actually makes it easier to separate people and doesn't require as many fractions.

I mean, the bottom line here is that both Panda and I agreed that the problem with previous circuits has been that once you start accumulating points and going to events, you are basically FORCED to keep going to all the events to keep your standing. What happens when you have some real life emergency and are torn between the smash tournament and your real life business? This system allows you to take a break from the circuit and not be punished too much for it.

i need to let u know that i need to know what kind of venue u are searching for in toledo
a venue that is capable of holding 100+ people and can be available for 2 full weekend days. it needs to have power and if there's any way people could sleep there, that would be awesome as well (churches or youth centers tend to be best)

Oh, and bowyer, goto sleep u nub

Kel

Smash Master
I don't like the MK being banned at one event thing. Sure, you get to drop your lowest score, but it still hurts MK players because people that don't play MK and place often will be a lot harder to catch up with because they won't be wasting their "lowest dropped score" on that tournament (where mk is banned) specifically. They'd be using it on an off day while MK mains are pretty much expected to use it on the day of the MK banned tournament. How about "anther isn't allowed to use Pikachu, and Ally isn't allowed to use Snake" in addition to the MK banned tourney? =)

Also, I thought M2K didn't necessarily want it hyped that he was moving to OH for a while... I thought he wasn't even sure yet.

OH would be an unstoppable force in crews =P (as if it weren't already)

rofa

Smash Journeyman
I don't like the MK being banned at one event thing. Sure, you get to drop your lowest score, but it still hurts MK players because people that don't play MK and place often will be a lot harder to catch up with because they won't be wasting their "lowest dropped score" on that tournament (where mk is banned) specifically. They'd be using it on an off day while MK mains are pretty much expected to use it on the day of the MK banned tournament. How about "anther isn't allowed to use Pikachu, and Ally isn't allowed to use Snake" in addition to the MK banned tourney? =)
that's an interesting point, and i'd be willing to put it to a poll if enough people feel the same way. However, I do really wonder what a tournament without metaknight would be like, and I think it would be a very enlightening experience for many. i am obviously against banning MK (as an MK main myself) but at the same time, feel that someone has to step it up and try a MK-banned tourney for the midwest, to see how it goes.

edit: also, remember that the first event "Michigan VS The World" has MK allowed and has a 1.5X multiplier. Also, the championships have MK allowed and have a 2x multiplier. Add in 2 more MK events and you have:

5.5 MK EVENTS VS 1 NON-MK EVENT. That's really not so bad

Also, I thought M2K didn't necessarily want it hyped that he was moving to OH for a while... I thought he wasn't even sure yet.
ive been talking to him, and it basically came down to doing this league. now that we're doing it, he's coming

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The problem with banning Meta Knight for exactly one tournament is that it doesn't really allow the metagame in that particular environment to develop, so it really won't prove anything. Non-MK mains will pretty much use their same character, and MK mains will (for the most part) be stuck with secondaries and last-minute top tier pickups. There's not much sense in practicing for the format, either, since it's only going to be for one event. I'd even recommend it being a side event, except that it'd probably be the size of a full tournament so time restraints would kill that idea.

However, it's your league, so you can do what you like.

Nope

Smash Lord
The problem with banning Meta Knight for exactly one tournament is that it doesn't really allow the metagame in that particular environment to develop, so it really won't prove anything. Non-MK mains will pretty much use their same character, and MK mains will (for the most part) be stuck with secondaries and last-minute top tier pickups. There's not much sense in practicing for the format, either, since it's only going to be for one event. I'd even recommend it being a side event, except that it'd probably be the size of a full tournament so time restraints would kill that idea.

However, it's your league, so you can do what you like.
I agree with this 100% it's not fair to the MK mains, I also don't support following the crowd and banning a character just because everyone else is trying it out/doing it. I don't support banning him in any way or form whether it's one event or permanently for a circuit. Other then that this sounds awesome! I'm sure we would be willing to host an event if you will let us. My weekend schedule gets more hectic in the fall but we can always work something out.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
although we'd love to include you western guys, unfortunately, the west is just too spread out population wise. although we're not totally throwing the idea out the window, it seems much more likely that all of these events will be held in denser populated areas. chicago is probably as far west as i imagine this thing going.
I see how it would be hard to include everyone in the Midwest into this one circuit, but I just don't see how this can called be a Midwest Circuit when half of the Midwest is being left out.

Looks awesome overall though.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
I see how it would be hard to include everyone in the Midwest into this one circuit, but I just don't see how this can called be a Midwest Circuit when half of the Midwest is being left out.

Looks awesome overall though.
yeah man, i understand what you're saying. panda and i are considering it as an option. we would have to be sure that we could get a ~100 man turnout though. out of curiosity, who would be the person to talk to from the west for securing a venue? we're going to need to start filling out those dates soon.

also, how far are you from chicago?

oh and p.s. u can ask lain, anther, panda, or anyone else from ann arbor, ive been wanting to fight your meta knight since like, forever, lol. so i hope you end up at at least one of these events.

Top Bottom