• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. Kirby EXPORT

Timbers

check me out
Kirby

Matchup:

60:40

General info:
Kirby has only one truly reliable approach move: bair. It's disjointed, has quite a bit of priority and he can do two in a single full jump. Think of it as a sex kick move. Kirby can Wall of Pain with it and can chase opponents off the edge with it. Overall, a very good move and most Kirbys will use this move frequently.

Some Kirby's may approach with a dash attack, but you can shieldgrab the Kirby out of it. Just remember to wait until a majority of the animation is over to grab as it lasts a stupidly long time.
What to avoid:
Because of his lack of approaches, most Kirbys will play somewhat safe and try to bait you into approaching. Lucario's fair will not beat Kirby's bair, so avoid approaching with fair. Kirby's aerials are all pretty good, but some Kirbys will rely on his tilts and focus more on a ground game. Just watch how the Kirby plays and adjust accordingly.
Kirby has two potential spiking moves: dair and Final Cutter. If you see a Kirby above you, expect a dair. Kirby can potentially gimp Lucario if you aren't aware. Also, be careful about the uthrow stage spike as mentioned.

If you are above a Kirby and coming back to the stage, be careful about his aerial Hammer. It can kill at somewhat low percents.

In terms of killing power, Kirby has quite a few options. All his smashes and his Stone and Hammer moves all have KO potential. However, fsmash will probably be the most used, as the other ones have either startup or ending lag. His other smashes lack range compared to fsmash, but his usmash is pretty strong and that's bad news for Lucario. Your opponent might try to setup for one or just mindgame for the kill move. Expect aerial Hammer as a finisher for an aerial combo.

Beware of Kirby-cides when the Kirby is ahead a stock.
How to win:
Like I said in my playstyle thread, unless it's a uthrow at high percents you'll want to DI most of Kirby's moves upward, since his only real vertical kill move is usmash (which is not entirely stellar against a good opponent). utilt and bair are so evil for kirby, so don't let 'em get in that ideal spacing range. I like and hate our utilt in this matchup, fast, but not entirely the range I want it. Ninja spike sounds pretty situational, and only looks like an alternative to punishing bad spacing in lucario's aerials offstage.
Lucarios going to start off camping us (Kirby), and we're not gonna be able to approach. Our bair can cancel most projectiles in the game because it's just that awesome, but I'm pretty sure your Aura Sphere starts beating it at some point (but I'm also not sure when). We're either going to be walking forward and trying to be perfect shielding or bairing your Aura Spheres until we get in close. We might go in for the inhale, but I probably wouldn't, given that our AS stinks in comparison to yours, and inhale is a pretty viable move, unlike most people think. Once we're in, we need to make sure we stay in, because we can't perfect shield every AS that comes our way; we're gonna get hit eventually.
Helpful tips:
Lucario will live long considering Kirby's most consistent kill moves are f-smash and hammer...at high percents all he has to do avoid kirbys 2 kill moves which really isn't that hard considering each of those moves is pretty easy to dodge. Most of my kills usually come from edgeguarding. The thing with this matchup is...despite what u guys may think, kirby doesn't kill lucario easily and thats always a huge problem when facing the aura.

The killer in this matchup is that lucarios primary killer, f-smash, is very difficult punish. The most ive ever been able to punish it with is f-tilt...and thats not really helping the cause. Kirby's Bair is his best friend in this matchup considering lucario doesnt have anything to punish it with as long as its properly spaced...too bad lucario will never get killed by it.

Ugh i hate Lucario's f-smash in this matchup...even if u powershield it u can punish with any killing move...so gay...
Once u learn kirby's options and there arent alot of them, his kill potential is drastically decreased.
Stages:
As for stages, some Kirbies love YI (brawl), some hate it, so you don't know. PS1 is good for reasons other than the Ninja Spike, like our jablock on the rock transformation and overall being good on that stage. We might CP Brinstar, and watch out for the stone falling glitch-thingy on the leftmost platform after it's broken off. We can also stone onto the fleshy bridge and, if positioned right, have the stone hitbox out forever, even managing to break through the bridge. Rainbow Cruise could be possible, iunno.
Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

Top Bottom