• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Circuit East: The Competition Results coming soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiest

Smash Champion

PLEASE READ ALL THE FOLLOWING BEFORE DECIDING TO COME OR NOT!

This event will have Singles, Doubles, and Singles Pools.
There may be a possible Casual Tournament the night before, depending if people want a Casual for fun with Possible Wacky Rules or just practice time.

When?:
Saturday May 23rd, 2009.

Doubles Starts: 12:30 or 1:00 PM
Singles Pools: When 75% or the doubles teams are eliminated... so 3:30ish
Singles Pools Round 2: When Round 1 Pools is done... 6:00
Possible Food Break: 30 mins, depends on status on Tournament
Singles Bracket: When Round 2 Pools is over, 7:30 ish

Where?: Ohio University Morton Hall Room 115 (We will have signs inside saying where to go from each entrance)
Van Vorhes
Athens, Ohio
What is really annoying... is that this address doesn't work too well on Google Maps OR any GPSs, so instead follow the direction for the building NEXT to it.

Google Maps Link
This link will actually take you to Shively Hall which is next to Morton Hall (where the Tournament is). Morton is the very large building in that area. This link is a campus map of the area:
http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/greens/scentral.html
I will probably put a picture here soon.

Shively is number 54 and Morton is 78. You can park in the lots right outside of Morton.
This link is for a campus map of places to park:
http://www.ohiou.edu/athens/parking.pdf
The numbers are the same as before. Please park in the Purple or Dark Green Zones to avoid getting ticketed. These zones are free to everyone on Saturdays and after 5pm on Fridays

FOR THOSE USING A GPS AND ARE TOO LAZY TO PRINT OR WRITE DIRECTIONS:
Put in this address:
59 East Green St. Athens, Ohio. 45701

Then when you arrive, there will be a massive parking lot right next to the above address, park there and enter the large building.

Prize: Cash payout divided between the entry money
Singles Payout
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4% + 1 dollar
6th: 4% - 1 dollar
(Possible evil plan to make 5th and 6th battle for said dollar, time pending)

Teams Payout
1st: 55%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%

Price:
1$ Casual (Friday)
10$ Singles
10$ Doubles, $20 for Team

Note: If you are going to this event but not playing, you should not preregister. Only people who are playing in these tournaments will pay. Free for everyone else.

How to preregister:

Preregistration Form

WHO?:

Preregistration List

Structure:

Singles and Doubles
* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* Iggy's Stupid Rule: You may not pause the match yourself. If you absolutely need to pause, it must be done so at the consent of your opponent.

* No show DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. There should be no excuse for not being there when your match is called because all the food you need is in the venue for you.

* Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

* Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Casual

This year's Casual Tournament will be the OUGA FFA tourne!

This means...
4 players
5 stock
15 min
One level (All stages on random, not customs)
All Items on High
* 2 Players advance each round: The player who won and the player with the most kills.
In the event that the player with the most kills IS the player who won, then the next highest kills gets it. In case there is a tie between kills, base on time.
Double Elimation.
Finals will be explained at the time of the Finals to avoid COnfusion,

The Casual Tournament will start at 9:00 PM on Friday.
1 Dollar Entry!!!!
Payouts will be
1. 60%
2. 30%
3. 10%-$1
4. $1

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first

Pools:
Pools will be divided into groups of 8 for first round, 4 for second.
These 8 will play against each other in a best of 3 (as if it was a bracket match like listed above).
The player who has won the most sets (one match equals a set of 3) gets the first seed in the bracket.
The player who has won the second/third most sets gets the second/third seed in the bracket, respectively
The player who has won the forth/fifth most sets gets sent to round 2 of pools to compete for the 4th seed in the bracket.

*If two players tie for the amount of sets won, whoever won that match-up has precedence.
Example:
OS wins 7 sets and POPS wins 7 sets, but POPS lost to OS: OS gets 1st seed, POPS gets 2nd.

**In the strange case of a 3-4 way cycle ties (see example). The tie will be broken by amount of total wins minus total losses of each game.
Example:
Capem has 5 set wins, TYR has 5 set wins, Keist has 5 set wins.
Capem beats TYR, TYR beats Keist, Keist beats Capem (due to Kirbicides, and random claws from Halbred... lolz)
However.... lets say we have this:
Capem: 10 Wins - 6 losses = 4
Keist: 10 Wins - 11 losses = -1
TYR: 10 Wins - 8 losses = 2
The different number of losses occur from the different set results (Capem won more 2-0s than Keist and TYR did)

LONG STORY SHORT:
If you want to get out of pools for sure, don't lose any games! Even if it means you still when the best of 3! I will personally check each pool before making the bracket, regardless of what others tell me the results are.

In the event that a player forfeits or is disqualified before pools are finished, then that player losses 0-2 to everyone in his/hers group. Even if they played each other already.

Nope's No BS Rule: By participating in this tournament you give the Tournament Operator and their affiliates the right to film, photograph and record your name, nickname, pseudonym, persona, picture, biographical material, voice and/or likeness and to use the same in any manner or media in connection with the Event to broadcast, reproduce, distribute and exhibit such photographs and/or recordings, in any manner whatsoever, by any and all means, media, devices, processes and technology now or hereafter known or devised anywhere in the universe at anytime in perpetuity.

Seamus McFly's Sportsmanship Rule:
If a losing player ends the match with "No Contest" (pausing and ending the game) after they lose their final stock but before "GAME" is called, that player is subject to consequences ranging from forfeit of that set to disqualification from the competition. Consequences can be avoided by apologizing to the other player for robbing them of a victory screen. Also, Excessive displays of rage over losing matches (shouting, controller throwing) will not be tolerated.

In other words, be respectful to the game and the players.

Stage List:

Neutral: For Stage Striking

- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Lylat Cruise
- Smashville
- Yoshi's Island
- Halbred
- Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:

- Brinstar
- Castle Siege
- Delfino
- Frigate Orpheon
- Jungle Japes
- Pictochat
- Pirate Ship
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Rainbow Cruise
- Distant Planet
- Green Greens
- Luigi's Mansion (pipes)
- Port Town Aero Dive
- Yoshi's Island pipes (Pipes)
- Norfair

Rest of stages banned.

Featuring:
Commentary from Seamus McFly and TheKiest! Yes we are at it again.
Movie Theater Size Projector for Finals! (And special matches too).
The Ultimate Falcon Champion: Pops!

Food:
Depending on Numbers and my wallet size...
Food, Drink, and other merchandise will be sold at this event. Specifics will be posted here as we determine how many are coming to this event. Probably pizza and pop for sure.
Otherwise, Wendy's Subway, Jimmy Johns, and Chipotle are within walking distance with other places within 5 minutes driving. (It is a college town after all)

Links:

Trailer: Coming Soon!

Facebook Event
Smash Boards Thread: ....
All is Brawl

LIVE STREAM CHANNEL

Pictures:
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/OUGamingarts/Loves Last Stand/
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/OUGamingarts/Rise of the Champion Tournament/
http://s392.photobucket.com/albums/pp5/OUGamingarts/Ultimate Falcon Championship/

Housing
I will be staying over in Morton Hall (the venue) Friday Night. If people come early, you are welcomed to stay there too. As of now we don't have it for Saturday Night either.

Possible Housing:
Nope has told me he is willing to house people form Indiana and MI to reduce their trips to 2 hours from the venue. (Time for Springfield to Athens).
He can house 20. I will keep a list here:
(Will add more later)

The venue isn't really suppose to do this... but we have the rooms from about 8-4 am Friday night and 8 am till midnight saturday. This means we can have about 10-15 stay at the venue FRIDAY NIGHT ONLY!!!
1. TheKiest
(Will add more later)

Hotels (If needed):
http://hotel-guides.us/colleges/ohio/ohio-university.html

Campgrounds (Within 50 miles of Athens): http://camping.about.com/gi/dynamic...tp://www.gocampingamerica.com/parksearch.aspx

Athens is in the Hocking Hills Part of Ohio which is known for its great outdoor parks/camps. This is probably much cheaper than a hotel in case you plan on staying the night. Some of the campgrounds listed in the within 50 miles category might actually be the best ones that are more like 30 miles away. So make sure you look into them.

I am also debating leading such a camping expedition in Hocking College Saturday Night if people desperately need somewhere to "stay".

Please tell your smash friends. Thanks!

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Reserved for QA section.

I decided to try something new. When "good" questions get asked and answered, I'll re type them here. That way people don't have to read through 40+ pages to know something.

Will you indicate which station(s) is/are recording station(s)? That way ppl who want to play MMs can try to flock to those TVs.

Also, will there be a stream of this?
I do want to mark them somehow. More details on that later.

I will be trying to get a live stream up. I'll have the kinks worked out by May.

... also 6th place is tied with 5th =p
While not a question, I'll address this. I hate ties. Thus I might make 5th and 5th fight for that tie breaker. Winner gets an extra dollar.

Why is this a circuit event? This is too far.
OS PMed us about 2 months before saying he needed venues. We agreed to helping out. During that 2 month time other venues, didn't grab that day that could have.
Also Nope has volunteered to house out of State people in Springfield cutting the travel time on Saturday to 4 hours instead of 6+.
Technically.... Athens isn't in the blue area on that map :p.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Anybody wanna pick up Xero for this? Otherwise I'm a no-show.

I'd be your best friend. :D

EDIT: Mabye Mello too? He wants to go since he couldn't go to the last one, he's cool too.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Classic OUGA stylish name XD;

Cincinnati will be coming to this in full force.

Will you indicate which station(s) is/are recording station(s)? That way ppl who want to play MMs can try to flock to those TVs.

Also, will there be a stream of this?

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
Awesome... I intend to do better at this circuit event than I did at C4... I've gotta get in some serious MM's too...

Hence

Smash Ace
Awesome... I intend to do better at this circuit event than I did at C4... I've gotta get in some serious MM's too...
$500 Lucario vs. ZSS mm? (lolsarcasm) ):

Mindgames > 30:70 Matchups!
Come to think of it, I really have no counter for Lucario. Zelda/Shiek maybe, but Shiek can't even F-Tilt lock Lucario. I should learn the Lucario, Sonic, Olimar, and Pikachu matchups before coming to this tourney. I'd like to go all out ZSS because I thoroughly understand the game now.
Hm, I'll be there!

clowsui

Smash Legend
Take note that you guys might wanna use walkie talkies or something while you're there :p

Also Oreo **** Talk 1nc. is going to ****, no doubt

I need you to pay for my teams entry though >__>; parents won't take kindly to me asking them for 20 bucks to pay for food + MMs

BTW I predict that Anther will win this one w/out Ally being here

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Kiest, awesome, I love you.

EDIT: Ally, Anther beat me at the MW Champs in game 3 by under 10% damage in a time out. I'm getting my revenge. You can count on it.

I've got the eye of the tiger for this tournament. Things were messy last time. This time I will be a finely tuned machine.

DOUBLE EDIT: Is this the same venue as LLS? If so, there is TONS of room, easily this place can fit 100-200 people. EASY. Kiest, you may want to let everyone know that, and also you may want to already start pestering people for set ups. This event should be huge. Lets break the 93 person event record from last time. Lets get into the 100'ssssss.

Also, last time it was sorta hard figuring where stations were. I think you may want to make a map of whatever rooms you are using and what stations are in each room. In addition to this, you could (if you have a printer at the event) maybe tell people what rooms they will be in for each part of the bracket. Like the top quarter in winners are in x area, the second quarter in this area, etc.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
5 hours? I hate the midwest.

You Ohio people are pretty **** lucky...

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
i don't know what you're talking about but chicago has great tournaments, not our fault is os doesn't want to have tournaments there. (he won't use DK's because dk won't change his rules because he has a circuit event and my tournaments are mostly just for the locals. though i could get a venue for a big tournament.)

but yeah i'm not coming out 8 hours out to ohio. its lame this might as well be ohio circuit because they will have 3 events here. i would have thought this would have been under this may be to far places but w/e. not like i'm going to win... though i had a chance at doubles but probably not anymore.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah, where the **** is Athens?

I don't even see it on that map.
And even if it was on there, it'd be under the "too far away" category. It's over 4.5 hours from Ann Arbor.

And that also means THREE out of the 5 (possibly only 4) events, including the champs, are in Ohio.

No offense to the TOs or OS, but.... why the hell is this a circuit event? :confused:

Count

Smash Champion
Blah, this is far.

@asdioh-lets step it up and get something organized in Indiana..

The problem with us organizing stuff is that we don't have any real brawl hot spots..most of us are spread out..in Indy there is only myself, renegade, vamp, and kyari really, and kyari and I are the only people that play consistently and he can't even go to tourneys..theres a couple that play in the north but for the most part we are all too far apart to get much organized.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'm kinda surprised that this became an event myself... I won't complain about it being too far though... :p

However, why all the complaining now? Perhaps in the future we need multiple circuit organizers, one from each state? That is, if the problem is with having OS decide stuff... Or is there a problem with hosting further east? If so, then I agree with "Indiana and Illinois TOs need to step it up"...

If I'm jabbering on too much and not saying anything meaningful, then just tell me to shut up... It's 2 in the morning, and I no think good... :dizzy:

ook

Smash Lord
However, why all the complaining now? Perhaps in the future we need multiple circuit organizers, one from each state? That is, if the problem is with having OS decide stuff...

Pretty sure they suggested that at the beginning planning stages of the circuit.

But OS pretty much said "No, screw you guys, I'm in charge."

And everyone went along with it (except bowyer, lol), cause we thought he had more sense than to schedule 3 events in OH.
Including one in Athens, which is in the farthest southeast corner of the Midwest. Basically in West Virginia.

oh well

And :( @ ally not going

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
I'm kinda surprised that this became an event myself... I won't complain about it being too far though... :p

However, why all the complaining now? Perhaps in the future we need multiple circuit organizers, one from each state? That is, if the problem is with having OS decide stuff... Or is there a problem with hosting further east? If so, then I agree with "Indiana and Illinois TOs need to step it up"...

If I'm jabbering on too much and not saying anything meaningful, then just tell me to shut up... It's 2 in the morning, and I no think good... :dizzy:
if i had known or had been asked to host a circuit event i could have planned one. and its not like theres all this complaining "now" we already said we didn't want to have it way out there almost where west Virginia is plus we didn't know that OS wanted to also have the champs in ohio.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
Pretty sure they suggested that at the beginning planning stages of the circuit.

But OS pretty much said "No, screw you guys, I'm in charge."

And everyone went along with it (except bowyer, lol), cause we thought he had more sense than to schedule 3 events in OH.
Including one in Athens, which is in the farthest southeast corner of the Midwest. Basically in West Virginia.

oh well

And :( @ ally not going
(bowyer) and me.. i kinda started the west but they took over because i didn't realize there were people that far west that was still considered the midwest.

(sorry for the double post)

Hence

Smash Ace
5 hours? I hate the midwest.

You Ohio people are pretty **** lucky...
Central Ohio seriously only started playing brawl again in December (in terms of tournaments). I believe there have been eight or nine since then, not counting Dayton biweeklies, etc. :psycho:

Mr.E

Smash Lord
To be fair, Springfield was a super-success and I doubt it was originally planned to have Champs there.

This is the opposite side of Columbus for me, making it an annoying 3+ hour drive, like Cleveland. I will not be attending.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Blah, this is far.

@asdioh-lets step it up and get something organized in Indiana..

The problem with us organizing stuff is that we don't have any real brawl hot spots..most of us are spread out..in Indy there is only myself, renegade, vamp, and kyari really, and kyari and I are the only people that play consistently and he can't even go to tourneys..theres a couple that play in the north but for the most part we are all too far apart to get much organized.
Well, we in Huntington are TRYING to get something going down, but we're still looking at possible venues.

Framerate

Smash Lord
I dunno, OS asked us multiple times to host a circuit event. If it's a problem we can just make it not-circuit. OUGA doesn't like restrictions too much (we're wild)!

I had no idea it was gonna be a problem -_-

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yeah, where the **** is Athens?

I don't even see it on that map.
And even if it was on there, it'd be under the "too far away" category. It's over 4.5 hours from Ann Arbor.

And that also means THREE out of the 5 (possibly only 4) events, including the champs, are in Ohio.

No offense to the TOs or OS, but.... why the hell is this a circuit event? :confused:
I wanted to have a MI event, but never got a response from anyone in MI other than Scotu who said he might do one. I talked with the guy from Chicago, but it didn't work out with him either. OU were the only people that were able to host a circuit event in May that had a large enough venue.... with an awesome connection.

Wait until you see it.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Nice notice of the Homestar Reference. (As in they reference to us, not the other way around.)

Also I updated the first 2 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom