• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Start Pivot Grabbing

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Ice Climbers players need to utilize Their pivot grabs. It has double the range of their standing grab and only comes out 2 frames after.

Standing Pivot Grab
: When you do a pivot grab so fast that you do it in place

Stutter step pivot grab: dash forward, then within 5 frames dash back and do a standing pivot grab.

Result: You move forward and do a pivot grab facing forward = lots of range + Nana sometimes does some weird slide that gives her super Grab range.

These are terms I made up BTW. I don't even know if anyone's talked about this before so I don't know if any real terms actually exist

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Yeah, I've lately been cooperating pivot grabs into my game lately. It does some marvelous things :p
And it doesn't leave you as open as a regular dash grab would.

Stray Element

Smash Cadet
The Nana super grab is a crazy thing to see (if I'm thinking of the same thing you are GIMR). I've done just a normal pivot grab before (running past them and grabbing as I pass), and sometimes Popo will miss the grab, and keep sliding, but Nana will get the grab, and for some reason when this happens to me, Nana (I use this word loosely) teleports WHILE HOLDING your opponent back to Popo. Its not a huge distance but its pretty trippy to watch.

But yea, pivot grabs work wonders for IC, and I've actually been wondering for a while why I hardly ever see them used in the matches that I see on youtube.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I looooove Pivot Grabs. If you saw those videos I posted, I did it a few times and it worked. You can also do UpTilt to Pivot Grab. =O

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Pivot grabs are one of many things I should do, but don't. I have been upset with my stagnant progress lately, so I'll definitely look into this.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
I use pivot grabs more than anything. People just don't seem to expect them on the Ice Climbers. Great on falling foes.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's okay, haha... i think the best way to practice pivot grabs is playing olimar a lot, and you learn the situations to use it

but bahhh i don't think it's all that necessary with ic's, their grab range is too little... but if the situation ever calls for it, why not

but i dont grab a lot anyways so w/e

(im a bad ic's player)

Miles.

Smash Champion
Pivot grabs are so fun.

I love when someone is mad from being cged and then I mix in a pivot grab. Seems to
Make them more frustrated. Lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Unfortunately, real people cannot be pokemon and use a 102 base power Frustration :)

Maybe if we were more unfriendly to them, they'd get stronger...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Lol, i cant decide whether to watch the video or the animated gif in your sig XD. *does both*
The 0->60% desync blizzard **** was nice.

I learned pivot grabbing for ic after i got the dthrow down and to be honest it is actually VERY easy to do on many characters. I could get 90% with fthrow->pivot grab before i could 4 fthrows consistently. Kirby-weights are kinda wierd/hard tho cuz they fly up and u have to pivot pretty early. One thing i cannot do is make Nana pivot grab (im holding someone and fthrow them and try to pivot grab). Maybe i should just try btrhow -> Nana pivot.

@choknater: Lol, playing IC's w/o grabbing is like eating cereal with a fork.

Top Bottom