• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air release forward B.

Asdferty

Smash Rookie
Just messing around, and these are the characters I found it hitting with.

Red - Spikes them with the true sweet spot and does 15% damage. These are for those epic grab release suicide kills to win games and be regarded as a hero amongst all.

Green - Hits them with the frontal sweet spot and does 10% damage. These are more practical and can kill fairly early, and are safe as long as you aren't near the ledge really.

Purple - Hits them with the rear sweet spot and does 10% damage. Only a couple are hit by this, but it will be a surprise for them when it hits. Has similar usage as the frontal hitbox.

Normal - Grey text means it doesn't work

Mario - Hits down 15% damage
Luigi - Hits out 10% damage
Peach - Hits out 10% damage
Bowser - Doesn't work
Donkey Kong - Hits down 15% damage
Diddy Kong - Doesn't work
Yoshi - Hits out 10% damage
Link - Doesn't work
Zelda - Hits out 10% damage
Sheik - Doesn't work
Ganondorf - Doesn't work
Toon Link - Hits down 15% damage
Wario - Doesn't work
Samus - Doesn't work
Pit - Hits out 10% damage
Ice Climber(s) - Hits down 15% damage
R.O.B. - Hits out 10% damage
Kirby - Hits down 15% damage
Meta Knight - Doesn't work
King Dedede - Hits out 10% damage
Olimar - Hits behind 10% damage
Fox - Doesn't work
Falco - Doesn't work
Wolf - Doesn't work
Captain Falcon - Doesn't work
Pikachu - Doesn't work
Squirtle -Doesn't work
Ivysaur -Hits down 15% damage
Charizard - Hits out 10% damage
Lucario - Hits out 10% damage
Jigglypuff - Doesn't work
Marth - Hits out 10% damage
Ike - Hits out 10% damage
Ness - Hits behind 10% damage
Lucas - Doesn't work
Mr. Game and Watch - Hits down 15% damage
Snake - Hits out 10% damage
Sonic - Hits out 10% damage
Zero Suit Samus - Hits out 10% damage

Timing notes and other stuff -
Some of the green group can be spiked if you wait a small amount of time before executing the forward B. Examples are zero suit and luigi, I'm sure many others are possible as well.
Wario - If you do get an air release, you should just upsmash him
Meta Knight - You can DACUS his air release
Ice Climbers - Probably won't get many grab releases on these two
King dedede - Strict timing, has to be very precise
Charizard - Strict timing, has to be very precise
Sonic - Strict timing, has to be very precise
Mr. Game and Watch - I was using this in some friendlies today and depending on the timing I was able to get other outcomes as well, but hitting down is the most common. Waiting a bit seemed to net a hit out, and perfect timing I think gave me a hit behind. More testing to come soon on this one.

Grouping -
Red Group 18%

Mario
Donkey Kong
Toon Link
Ice Climber(s)
Kirby
Ivysaur
Mr. Game and Watch

Green Group 36%

Luigi
Peace
Yoshi
Zelda
Pit
R.O.B.
King Dedede
Charizard
Lucario
Marth
Ike
Snake
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

Purple Group - 5%

Olimar
Ness

Grey Group - 41%

Bowser
Diddy Kong
Link
Sheik
Ganondorf
Wario
Samus
Meta Knight
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Squirtle
Jigglypuff
Lucas

**NOTE** These are merely who it hits and how. This does NOT mean they are inescapable by any means. Most of them seem to work as "combos" but I'm sure there are a few that can be air dodged or something. However, due to the nature of this attack, I would not be surprised if the opponent either didn't react fast enough and/or had no idea wolf could hit them from so far away. Honestly these should work most of the time in a real match.

I hope this information hasn't been posted already. I haven't seen it, but there's always that chance. If it hasn't that's great, and I hope you enjoy sweet spotting wolf's forward B as much as I do, cause it's my favourite part of wolf and ultimately why I took the time to test this stuff. Thanks for your time.

*EDIT added the DACUS to meta knight's air release in other infos

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
We've had people bring this up a few times before, but nobody ever really went and made a chart. Good work, it's nice to have something like this made, even if it is a situational and risky tactic.

EDIT: I'm going to add this to the link sticky, so that people don't go through the trouble of doing something like this again after a month or two.

:059:

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Yeah, he would be quite a bit better if he could force air releases. Air release -> DACUS works on MK btw.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's weird too. If the MK inputs to get released, he jumps. But if he doesn't...then he just ground breaks. That's even if you just mash like the control stick, or whatever input that's not Jump or Up on the control stick.

JCav

Smash Lord
sorry; I still don't get it.

What is "air release"?
air release is when the person getting grabbed inputs a button the same frame they are released from a grab and as opposed to just sliding back on the ground they will go in the air instead.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Sure that DACUS only works on MK? I'm not able to test it but it seems to be possible also on other Chars.
Nice work btw, I also did that a few weeks ago, but I was too lazy to post it =P.

Asdferty

Smash Rookie
ya it will work on other people I think too, but I just noted meta knight cause you will see him a lot in tournies and forward b doesn't work on him

Jenkins

Smash Lord
cool stuff!

but wolf cant really force air releases....

oh so sad

Asdferty

Smash Rookie
wolf can't force release no, but I've found that if I grab someone near/on the ledge either way I can force a kill even if it means killing myself. If they air release, I just forward b them, probably dead if they are like 70% or higher, or if they ground release I just shine spike them.
Makes for epic kills on the last stock, and everyone will be your friend.

Also on stages like yoshi's island the ground is uneven and you can force jump releases that way, in addition to grabbing people on the edge of any platform. The stuff is situational, but seriously when you do it everyone recognizes that you are the best player there, and you win regardless of the match when you finish them with it off of the stage.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
The Perfect Sweetspot ones are great news, but for the ones that don't get a spike is there any reason to use it over a Dthrow, considering it does 12% rather than the shine's 10% and leaves room for set-ups?

tedeth

Smash Master
The Perfect Sweetspot ones are great news, but for the ones that don't get a spike is there any reason to use it over a Dthrow, considering it does 12% rather than the shine's 10% and leaves room for set-ups?
Side b will KO at lower %s than dthrow.

If you were to air release someone over the edge of the stage and then side b them, it wont make any difference if it spike or not (except to epicness). Your air release will push them out and if they're on a decent percentage they will lose the stock first anyway.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Whoa, nice chart.

Someone really needs to figure out some crazy AT that forces an air release. It would help so much with Wolf's KO problems.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
I did some minor testing last night with this so I thought I'd share what little I found out.

For characters in the green (the ones I tested were ZZS and Luigi), assuming the opponent DOES NOT dodge or double jump immediately afterwards, if you delay your Forward-B just enough for them to drop ever so slightly, I had a high rate of Spike Sweetspots instead of minor Sweetspots.

I don't know how useful this could be since it's unreliable and it will take work to find out how your opponent naturally reacts to your grab release, but I thought it was a note-worthy observation.

Asdferty

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I'll add that Systalis, cause the spikes really are more epic finishes, and do more damage.

Zen127

Smash Apprentice
You can also force an air release if you grab someone out of the air, pivot grab works very good here.
That's perfect. Now it'd be worth it to sheild grab a Meta Knight out of their shuttle loop second attack.

Sliq

Smash Master
Does Wolf force air releases against any of the cast?

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
It sounds strange, but no.
On the one hand he isn't very big, and on the other hand he grabs the opponents near to their head, so even ones like jiggs touch the ground being grabbed.

Lykeios

Smash Apprentice
So. I went and tested this. And. You're right it works on so many people Holy Crap.

Most of the %'s are around 70-80, excluding Ness and Olimar which are like 230%.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
So. I went and tested this. And. You're right it works on so many people Holy Crap.

Most of the %'s are around 70-80, excluding Ness and Olimar which are like 230%.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255429

And no Lykeios, they aren't percent specific. The side b stuff works at any percent. It's just more difficult to do vs some characters because the timing is different.

tekkie

Smash Master

castorpollux

Smash Champion
this seems bufferable although if it ended up as a ground release that sideb would be pretty terrible

so uh if its not guaranteed dont do it i guess?

actually, if you hear your opponent mashing buttons, stop pummeling and it's very likely that they will airbreak. You can see this in action when TKD fights Tyrant

pulse131

Smash Ace
l0ol i missed the whole grey text thing and then got to the bottom and was like...what?
l0ol

also on mk it sometimes works on the grab release when he lands on a platform, say on bf, but its escapable/unexpected kinda thing.

Top Bottom