• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AT Discussion: IHSA

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Diddy Kong Boards

Deeply sorry if this is on a previous thread I've searched on this topic and saw nothing on about this subject

I've been using this technique for a little while now but, have never seen anybody use this technique in any tourney video or AT videos. Wanted to make a discussion on how it could be applied better.

[Author Note: I KNOW THIS "AT" HAS BEEN FOUND, this is for Discussion]

Item Hold Smash Attack [IHSA]

Destription: Diddy Kong grabs a banana and while he is holding his banana can use Smash Attacks which he could not do before.

Controller Setting: To do this technique you need to change your "L or R Trigger" to "Attack"

How to Do: Basically when you grab a banana you do so by using "L or R Trigger" which will essentially grab the Banana BUT hold the "L or R Trigger" and you can use Fsmash by using your "C stick" so you Fsmash while still holding the banana.

[That is why you need to change your attack "L or R trigger" to "Attack" so you don't have and awkard angle trying to hit "A button" while trying to hit "C stick" also you can not use it with the grab button because if you hold Z you will be in shield and roll if you press C stick]

How it can be applied / Recieved from Discussion:
- Easily done when falling from the air when a banana is on the ground next to your opponet so you can grab the banana with little to no animtion to IHSA.

- During pressuring where your in close quarters with your opponet instead of using Zgrab to pick up Banana you can use IHSM to Hit him while your close quarters with Fsmash

- Also when a banana is next to your opponet you can Dash attack by using "L or R trigger" to hit your opponet while holding "L or R trigger" to hold the banana so you can IHSA him

- You can air dodge to catch and hold "attack" to IHSA

- When a banana is next to your opponet you can fall on the banana, before you hit the ground grab the banana by "Z" [I use "X"] and Roll behind you opponet while holding Attack to IHSA

- W/O Item hold, while holding a Banana you can CRAWL and use the Dtilt while holding the banana

Counter to this AT:
- Throwing a Banana has a faster frame rate than Fsmash
- Z grabbing a banana is better than "Attack" grabbing

___________________________________________________​

Basically I wanted to Discuss this AT and see how it can applied to make the Diddy Kong community that much better THANKS!

[Author Note: I will put up a video if this thread receives any attention on how it could be applied better.]

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Diddy mains know it, but not too many use it.
I know AlphaZealot does :O

Using the R (or L) trigger is the best way to set it up.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Will holding Grab work? I've known about this but never wanted to try the awkward angle between the A button and the C-Stick, and I've already re-mapped my R button to Jump. Could I hold Z instead? (No Wii to test it on atm)

TreK

Is "that guy"
yup, but dtilt with banana to fsmash to banana can combo at low %

doesn't work with Z btw, diddy will stick in his shield if you hold Z.
My L button is set to jump :( [i don't play TL nor peach anymore ; i could change that lol]

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i just hold my A button :\? i only use it for mindgames but rarely i cant find a decent way to pressure my opponent into it. besides dtilt while holding banana is so more beast especially aganst reflectors :p

TreK

Is "that guy"
you crawl (not just crouch) and press A. Hold it a low% and go for the stutter step-fsmash, or just throw ur banana but that won't make them trip.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Will holding Grab work? I've known about this but never wanted to try the awkward angle between the A button and the C-Stick, and I've already re-mapped my R button to Jump. Could I hold Z instead? (No Wii to test it on atm)
You cannot use the Grab button because once you have grab the banana with z and you are stationary you will be in a shield position and when you use the c stick you roll.

So no you can't

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
you can crouch and cstick down for a dtilt i believe...

also, this at really isnt that usefull in most situations, but occasionally itll be helpful
i would rather just throw the naner at them and then follow up with a different move
more damage that way anyways
YES!, If you CRAWL not crouch and press attack you with Dtilt, you dont need to IH

This AT in not a breakthrough in the Diddy kong Metagame but is indeed helpful, in some pressuring situations I have put it into good use. When characters are DI falling towards you where throwing banana would sometimes go underneath your opponet using IHSA where the animation is longer with Fsmash than throwing a nana can be used also when your done with the IHSA you now have a banana!

I honestly don't see why people don't use it more. Is not like this AT useless.
give me your thoughts

Top Bottom