• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDB NW Presents: SHS1, Bolton, 18th July.

COEY

Smash Lord
After 3 Years of waiting it is here!

As many of you know me and Jo3 have been around 3 years this summer, in this time we have hosted a number of fests over the years, as well as a few ranking battles, all i feel were very successful and has lead to us hosting a number of players from the community, and getting to know many quite well. In this time we also have had a near perfect tournament attendence record (myself missing GGT1 and Phantom Hits, Jo3 only missing PH). Now finally it's time to invite you all here at once to my miserable wet home :)

Ok Will I'm interested, but where and when is this going to take place?

Good question <insert your name here>, Super Hit Stun 1 (1 because there's always chance of a second :)) will be located at a venue somewhere in Bolton, Lancashire. It will take place on July 18, at roughly 11 or 12.

Bolton and July seems possible, but how would i get there? And would it be expensive?

Bolton is in fact a 15 minutes train ride from Manchester.

If you were getting here by coach Manchester is a large city and such has fun fares from other cities meaning you can get there and back for £2 if you book in advance, from there it is a short walk to Manchester Piccadily train station and a 15 train ride to Bolton. Another option is to just book to Bolton and shouldnt cost much extra, this could be a good idea if you want to make sure you dont get lost.

Information on travelling by coach and ticket prices and travel times can be found out at www.nationalexpress.com

If you have a little extra money wise and dont fancy all the coach riding and travel times and would rather get the train then you would be probably be looking at a journey to Manchester Piccadily and then another connection to Bolton, but dont worry you just need to find the platform at the same station.

Information and prices for trains can be found at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Another option is to fly by plane to Manchester Airport and get a direct train from there to Bolton.

Personally i'd use www.skyscanner.net to look for cheap flights but many sites offer different prices usually depending on different levels of luxury.

Finally Cars, (unless you guys have a helicopter or something :s) right now i am not moved into the place where i will be housing and as such i dont have a post code for you as of yet. All i can say is look into just how to generally get to Bolton from <insert wherever it is you live> .

Ok i can get to you now but where will i be housed? and who none smash related will be there?

I will be in the next few weeks be moving into a house with 3/4 other friends, this will be the place you will be housed. Obviously this means people may need to keep it down at night (although this is actually unlikely), but more importantly please help me by taking shoes off inside, putting rubish in the bin etc etc..

This place will hopefully not be too far from the eventual venue, though if it is a distance i will sort out travel myself.

Ok Will, sounds good, but you havent even said what events your going to have on!

Ok calm down a sec and listen :)

If anyone knows me they have already predicted the main focus of this tourney will be melee, though i am interested in possible expanding into a multiple day event with brawl on offer as well if enough people show interest. This second day would probably feature low tiers and crews as well. ;)

Ok we've waited long enough Will can you please finalise things?

Fair enough things did grind to a halt, a little and i appologise for this, but now its time for comfirmation of rules and events.

This will be a melee only event, this is partly due to the space, partly due to that i don't even really enjoy competitive brawl, though i will probably have a brawl setup going alot of the time, just not during singles and doubles.

Ok now i would like to make this a 2 day event featuring the following

Singles
Doubles
Crews
Low tiers!
Rock paper scissors contests.
Other similar contests of such masculinity and bravado.

But this is all dependent on what you guys can do, let me know :)

Singles

Bring Your Own Controller if you don't how were you planning on competing?

4 Stock
7 Minute Time Limit
No Items
No Stalling
Wobbling will be banned.
No Forward Smashing Backwards Out Of Shield (I know this is only in brawl, but i ****ing hate it!)

Set will be best of 5 at all times, and yes this applies to pools as well!

Finals will probably be best of 7, depending on how the players feel on it at the time.

As for stages the first stage will be random, unless the other 4 stages are banned.

Random Stage List

Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Counter Pick Stage List

DK64
BF
Mute
Pokefloats (for Ryan and TC)
Corneria
Brinstar

For Stage Banning the rules work as follows;

1. Play rock, paper, scissors, or flip a coin or something to decide who goes first.
2. The first player states the stage he wants to ban from the entire set.
3. The second player then does the same.
4. The second player then announces the stage he wants to strike off the random list.
5. The first player now does the same.
6. Random your first stage based on what stages are now left.

Stages will be on display if you get confused, and remember these bans only apply for each particular set you are in at the time.

As for characters of course none are banned, but matches will follow Advanced Slob Picks rules.

Advanced Slob Picks?

These rules work like this;

1. Both players choose their characters, if for some reason one player feels cheated by this he can force a double blind, in which both players tell an impartial player which charcter they want to play, so that he can let them both know each others desicion without it influencing eithers judgement.

2. Play your game, randoming your first stage with the rules above.

3. The loser will now select the next stage, following the the winner can change character, finally the loser gets the chance to change character. The stage must be on either the random or counter pick stage list, and must not have been banned for the entire set.

4. Play the next match.

5. Keep loopong back to 3. after 4. until the best of 5/7 is over. You should now have a winner and a loser, if not i'm sorry but i have no idea what's gone wrong :)

For now this is it, i am going to update with rules and stages for teams soon
Please let me know your opinions on dates and events, also about stages and other rules.
Msn later if you have any questions justwillhudson@hotmail.com

Hope to see you all soon.

COEY

Smash Lord
deleting my post and stealing first post has to be abuse of powers right? :p

ps - it's on!

Aiko

Smash Champion
lol, i just did it for the banter. It's probably important for you to have that post incase you need to add stuff.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
July does not clash with any current ranbats, most exams (or any), or super lyon. Sounds like a good month to me.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
banter banter banter sick sick sick just set a date and I will go. Expect at least 5 million people as Scotland will attend HAHAHAHA :confused:

auroreon

Smash Ace
If Brawl, I'm there. As long as it doesn't clash with other events of course, but July seems like a good month.

COEY

Smash Lord
11th or 18 th guys it seems how are either of these dates for you guys?

Also i'd like a scottish appearance similar to GGT2 please.

voilentjack

Smash Journeyman
Willz : oh i see can you be more specific next time i dont like to get excited lol

cpt smashie : i will swim with you

COEY

Smash Lord
yea...

so 11th or 18th guys, also stage suggestions please, green greens possibly?

Aiko

Smash Champion
11th July please, 18th will probably be a brawl RB for manchester. I can make either of course.

Stages: If you're gonna go with 5 random, you have to include the 6th aswell.

Imo it should be either:

3 Randoms + 3 CP and maybe a few others eg DK64 but nothing major, eg green greens

or

6 Randoms + Lots of CP including corneria, green greens, onett etc.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
If I go to this I will be in the finals with most likely Fuzzyness and likely getting first. If it ain't fuzzy and me in the finals though I am getting first without a doubt.
Sorry about the other smashers who are gonna try but this is the life of a smasher and what you get when you face me.

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
i agree with 5 randoms, green greens is taking it a bit far though, that stage's mad biased and generally really gay and random.
if you've gotta put weird stages on, corneria is better than green greens

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I THINK it should be the 3 random stages on but i'm not to fussed if it is the 5/6 stages.
But not the dumb stages like Onnet and Greens Greens even though that is a really good fox stage (just to show i'm not being biased:)) and just make it a good legit stages tournament. I think Corneria is sexy though along with Mute City, Poke Floats.

Edwin: Thanks for your input on this tournament. It's good to see you putting in your input to this as our not going to be at it but you still care.

J03

Smash Master
any changes to the stage list should be welcomed, lotsa peeps saying this and that but **** it.

stages dont make a tournament. Personally i see no issue with the 3 random, 3 C.Pick but i dont care if its icicle mountain and big blue on random with Pro Evo 09 and a barbeque as counter picks

Aiko

Smash Champion
joe, i think we should have a bbq for all our games. infact, this whole tournament should be bbq dittos only.

Fiend's_Knee

Smash Apprentice
Alright lads long time no see, I'm gonna try and come to this just depends on the situation closer to the time, should be a good laugh and full of banter

COEY

Smash Lord
green greens was a joke of course, i wouldnt have added it even if everyone had wanted it.

i was thinking of having 5 randoms, on the system that each player has 2 bans each, a banned stage for the entire set and one just for the first game (kind of a combination of stage striking and normal stage banning). I'm in favour of this myself as imo yoshis story and to a lesser extent fountain of dreams are both very good stages with most of the problems arising when playing characters some of the floatier characters. The 2 bans however allow you to make sure that neither come up first.

as for counterpick stages the list atm is looking like this but will probably be shortened at some point.

DK64
BF
Mute
Pokefloats (for Ryan)
Rainbow Ride (possibly just for teams instead of floats)
Corneria
Brinstar

So any thoughts?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
imo i agree with all of them counterpicks stages. I think you did a good selection.
Not too sure about the 2 banned thing but it could possibly work in my favour so I am gonna be a ***** and say do it lol.

Aiko

Smash Champion
counterpicks look perfect to me. i perseonally think BF should be on random if youre going to include YS and FoD.

COEY

Smash Lord
ok after speaking to anthony on the matter ive decided to let it come down to a vote. because having 5 stages and 4 bans (to begin with) you can force and stage and effectively remove stages that give big disadvantages to certain characters like marth. So either BF or FoD so far my vote is for FoD as i think the fact that the platforms arent random, and considering high level play i think its a more neutral stage that battlefield.

Aiko has said to me that he wants BF on istead and i'm sure mr pro will voice his BF support at some point.

Top Bottom