• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Week #4 : King Dedede

Blad01

Smash Lord
Week #4 : King Dedede

King Dedede the penguin grabber ! Can't chaingrab us, we are actually considered as a counter to him. How would you play against him ?
Discuss !

Monkey Wrench

Smash Apprentice
Falco has lasers, CG, and combos. Dedede has Waddles which ease his laser problem somewhat, a techchase, a great edge game, and much greater weight. Remember to keep kill moves fresh, and to watch for Dedede's grabs, as he still has a good grab game even without the CG. He can bair you out of side-b and generally wreck your recovery so vary your recovery tactics. This match is pretty straightforward.

65:35 Falco.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Spacing:
DDD Will Shield Grab you out of every Aerial except Nair (Assuming he blocks any/every attack). You do bad up close unless you've gotten inside with a Laser or some other form of contact. Camp DDD like hell. He's fat. Pick a small stage(Double edged sword). Platforms make it easier to deal with him if you are under DDD. Footstool when ever possible.
You want to stay away when he's approaching you. Close in when he retreats.

Defending/Attacking:
Be careful when DDD runs from you, it's to sneak in a Pivot Grab. Play smart and don't let his power overwhelm you. You can Box him out in most situations. Also get rid of all Waddles. You never know what random stuff can happen (Play assuming every throw is a gordo just to be safe).

CG > Spike leads to a good 50%-70% since you still have advantage on his way up.

As to countering Tech-Chasing, I wouldn't know I usually get pressured here. I was told to never attack though.
Jab string is amazing.

On the edge:
A smart DDD will notice a Falco's >100% mark and will swallow you. You can avoid this by dropping then hopping backwards, following with a Phantasm. Also when he camps there get ballsy and just snag his edge in between jumps it's amazing.

Under the 100% mark if you have snagged the edge you can actually Ledge Attack and send him off stage, in a favorable position.

Off Stage:
Don't go here. You'll get gimped and Swallowed.
(Unless you're above him, SPIKE AWAY)
Fatty wins in this area.

Some more waddle stuff:
Up-tilt these suckers to make them fly-up and to keep DDD from spamming them to much.
While camping it's good to discourage the enemy so you can force approaches.
Always try attacking them when they are together.
They beat out Phantasm.
They pop you up off stage.

Tips:
Never land near him, it's a free smash attack.

Edit:
Atomsk also tells me "Never approach a DDD after being hit by a DDD"

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
this is probably the easiest high tier character for falco to play against

you get at least 50% of damage from the cg spike you can do the jab combo on him and it's very difficult for him to DI out of and even after he does none of his ground moves can punish it if stopped at the right time

If you camp DDD it's very difficult for him to approach you and if they both camp each other falco will win since he has a faster projectile and can reflect gordos

Denzi

Smash Master
0-95% combo, that's an immediate plus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYO8A4OwLA

And it's actually not even that hard once you've practiced a bit.

Since I don't want to repeat what's already been said, I'm just going to point out that Falco has to be much more careful at higher %s, because D3 can Utilt you out of the Phantasm when you use it to get back onto the stage.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
The combo honestly isn't that phenomenal. Most people are in the habit of airdodging or attacking or just plain doing something after they get hit and end up avoiding the Lock altogether. Although you can punish whatever DDD uses out of stun from your fullhop fairly easily.

Point is, I always finish the chaingrab with Forced Landing -> Fullhop Dair now, but I rarely go for the Laser Lock after.

Falco has the advantage at the distance and in close. AAA combo against DDD is great. Upsmash can hit DDD out of his UpB without him hitting you, so if he doesn't cancel it you can use the back hitbox to send him horizontally offstage again.

Gimp kills are great. An offstage laser game, specifically below the ledge, can deplete DDD's jumps in a hurry and force an UpB. DDD's UpB sucks and any time he has to use it against you would mean a stock loss in a perfect world.

I'm good with 60-40.

Denzi

Smash Master
The combo honestly isn't that phenomenal. Most people are in the habit of airdodging or attacking or just plain doing something after they get hit and end up avoiding the Lock altogether. Although you can punish whatever DDD uses out of stun from your fullhop fairly easily.

Point is, I always finish the chaingrab with Forced Landing -> Fullhop Dair now, but I rarely go for the Laser Lock after.

I did it to one person, once :)

And I find that it's not a bad idea to let the silent laser hit and then follow up accordingly, since you'll be right next to him anyway.

Top Bottom