• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Aerials that Beat Yoshi's Up-Smash

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hey, I want to compile a list of aerials that, when properly spaced, will always beat out Yoshi's ever-amazing up-smash. This is so that instead of waiting on the ground to see an opening for an up-smash, we can attempt to do other options that are more safe and probably more effective. This list isn't 100% complete, so in this topic I'd like you to help me complete it.

Mario:
-None

Luigi:
-None

Peach:
-None

Bowser:
-None

Donkey Kong:
-None (yes, even b-air)

Diddy Kong:
-None

Yoshi:
-B-air (?)

Wario:
-None (Smart Warios will try to weave in and out, so be careful)

Link:
-Z-air
(Yoshi can beat out Link's d-air, but it's not recommended)

Zelda:
-None

Sheik:
-B-air (?)

Ganondorf:
-None

Toon Link:
-Z-air
-B-air (?)
(Same situation as Link. Not recommended to beat out Toon Link's d-air with an up-smash even though it works)

Samus:
-Z-air
-D-air (?)

Zero Suit Samus:
-None

Pit
-G-air (?)
-D-air (?)
-B-air (?)

Ice Climbers:
-None

R.O.B.:
-None

Kirby:
-None

Meta Knight:
-G-air (clanks)
-D-air

King Dedede:
-None (b-air still sucks, though)

Olimar:
-I have no idea. Can someone test for each color of Pikmin?

Fox:
-None

Falco:
-None (I think...)

Wolf:
-None

Captain Falcon:
-None

Pikachu:
-None

Squirtle:
-None

Ivysaur:
-B-air
-F-air (?)
-N-air (?)
-D-air (?)

Charizard:
-G-air (?)
-F-air (?)

Lucario:
-D-air
-F-air (?)

Jigglypuff:
-F-air

Marth:
-D-air
-F-air
-B-air (?)

Ike:
-F-air
-D-air (?)
-N-air (?)

Ness:
-F-air (?)
-D-air (?)

Lucas:
-None

Mr. Game & Watch:
-D-air
-B-air
-F-air (?)

Snake:
-None

Sonic:
-None

So, what do you think? I'm a bit uncertain about... well... a lot of things, but I believe this will help Yoshi in the long run. :chuckle:

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Nice list it will definitely help with KOing some characters seeing that if they try to SH and attack you can beat it out with a UpSmash

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Upsmash has invulnerability on the head, so if the Klaw is spaced, Bowser will be grabbing lots of nothing.

You can do a regular lazy jump-in with it, though, and get the grab off.

bobson

Smash Lord
Metaknight will beat it with any of his aerials (aside from glide attack) due to his transcended priority.

Metatitan

Smash Master
jiggs pound in the air beats our upsmash. jiggs fair beats it with the sex kick part. try the sex kick of her nair and also try a really well spaced bair

Gindler

Smash Champion
Peach's Dair doesn't beat it so you can take Dair? off...............peaches get really annoyed having something beat they're Dair for once ha

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah, what gindler said. Also, Wario fails against the upsmash, too, I think. Back a while ago I remembered thinking that usmash was one of the things to go against dair and at least tie, if not totally win, and so I think Usmash>wario's down air.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Statistically, up smash beats Wario's down aerial.

Unfortunately, them doing it at an angle where you can space and time the upsmash to beat it is extremely unlikely at best. Yes @ up smash beating Peach's down aerial. Upsmash can take out lots of Meta Knight's aerial junk as well, but down aerial has to be spaced perfectly on their part for upsmash to beat it just because the hitbox is so big that it goes past the invulnerability boxes and meets Yoshi's body when it is not spaced, which Meta Knights almost never do since it is a spam move.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I updated the list. :)

Well, like I said. I'm listing the aerials that when perfectly spaced, will always beat out Yoshi's up-smash. The reason why I didn't include specials is because there are too many situations in which they can be used. Aerials are used in the air, where only reach matters (which is why Yoshi's up-smash beats out so many aerials; if his head wasn't invincible he wouldn't be a good anti-aerialist). Specials can be used anywhere, and are damage-dependent. If you guys want me to include specials, then I guess I can. However, I need to know under what circumstances a certain special can beat out the up-smash.

Also, I'd really like someone to test out Olimar and his Pikmin. I'm almost positive that Yoshi's up-smash beats out his n-air and white Pikmin attacks, but I'm not sure about everything else (he has the only aerials that can clank with ground moves).

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
dk's dair at max range beats yoshis usmash at all times, I'm pretty sure the aerial headbutt outranges it too (works on zeldas usmash)

and I honestly doubt the bair doesn't work at max range

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Regarding Olimar:

Up smash beat all Pikmin. As for neutral air, it's under the same category as Wario's down aerial; it's used in such a way that up smash won't beat it conventionally, even though it does beat the move statistically, and even then, only from the bottom. This move might as well get past up smash since it's so hard to actually position one's self to beat it.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Guys, I'm bumping this thread. We need more input and it'll help tremendously if we can get all the moves completed.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Why bump this thread? Wouldn't starting a new thread that lists yoshi's highest priority attacks in order from best to worst be better?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Because his up-smash is so special. Duh. :p

Seriously, we all agree that this move is great. Why not try to clarify what this move can do and give it an in-depth look at the moves it can beat? It'll help in the long run and will benefit all Yoshi mainers.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I think we all know how to use up smash. Unless it beats some sort of aerial that we've been fearing then we already know how special it is. I say we do a priority list: I'm curious to see what nair's priority is.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Of course we know how to use up-smash (being one of Yoshi's best attacks and all); this is just a list of the moves that can beat it. As you can see, there are a lot of "?" next to the moves I'm not sure about and I want people to help contribute to it.

And n-air's priority is dependent solely on range. It's kind of mediocre, but it can beat out some other moves (such as the Fox Illusion).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Pit's g-air is weird. Sometimes I can beat it, but sometimes it just goes right through me. Maybe it depends on the angle at which he is gliding...? :confused:

Top Bottom