• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reverse Hyphen Smashing w/Jump Canceling and other important Techs

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Ah, Jump Canceling; is there anything you can't do?

This post is important for those of us who have Tap-Jump set to Off. If you have Tap-Jump set to On, you can safely exit this thread without missing out on anything.

REVERSE HYPHEN SMASHING
You should all know that Luigi's Hyphen Smash is killer, and that his uSmash hitbox is larger from the back. The problem with performing Reverse Hyphen Smashes, is that when Luigi pivots during a full dash he is unable to do anything (except Jump) until the previous forward momentum has subsided; I'll call this "Dash Pivot Lag" for now. This means you can't, under normal conditions, perform RHSs. It's supposed to look like this:
Hyphen Smash = Dash -> Up + A
Reverse Hyphen Smash = Dash -> Pivot -> Up + A

That will work fine for people who have Tap-Jump On since smashing Up on the analog will Jump Cancel the Dash Pivot Lag and enable the uSmash. But for those of us with Tap-Jump Off, we manually have to press Jump to cancel the Pivot Lag and enable the uSmash. For us, it will look like this:
Reverse Hyphen Smash = Dash -> Pivot -> Jump + Up + A

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
It's not important if you have enabled Tap-Jump, which is why I said you can safely ignore this thread... BUT if you are a Tap-Jump Off type of player this is vastly important. Start a game, dash, pivot, and during the Pivot Lag try to Super Jump Punch. You'll notice you can't. But if you dash, pivot, and then SJP and Jump at the same time, it'll work perfectly. Jump Canceling explains why, after switching from the Wiimote+Nunchuck to the Classic, I wasn't able to get as many of those vital Dashing FJP KOs as I used to.

For those of us with Tap-Jump Off, we can do everything that they can do, including OoS uSpecials and OoS uSmashes. You MUST get used to tapping Jump when you uSmash for flawless uSmashes every time. There's no downside to doing this; the buttons are literally millimeters apart. Learn it. Now.

I jump with R, so I'm also able to OoS FJP and Dash Pivot Lag FJP with ease; but trying to convince you guys to change your Jump button to R is beyond the scope of this post. The important thing is, if you disabled Tap-Jump, to make it a habit to Jump as you uSmash. Your game can only improve this way.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
*safely exits this thread laughing* tap jump on ftw <3 * Though this does keep me a few ideas, random pivot shoryukens anyone? lawl. Basically for the tap jump off people, you have to do a extra button which is no harm done.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
yea.... i knew how to do this, i play squirtle ( and every other character on the roster) this is how you do a forward hydroplane. or a running reverse anything for that matter.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Good to know I'm not the only one who's disabled the Tap Jump. I picked up the Classic Controller so I could Zap Jump and Wavebounce with Lucas. But to get rid of my habit of jumping with the Analog, I had to disable Tap Jump, with the of one day turning it back on again. But with this new information (new to a lot of us) I don't need to turn it back on.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I've had tap jump off since SSB 64. The reason is because I could never keep my control sticks in good condition on the N64 remotes. I just got used to it.

As far as the reverse hyphen smash goes, I love it.
Although I have been using it, it's good to know the situations I should be using it in and the correct set-up.

Top Bottom