• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 7 characteristics of a good move - a basic guide on offense evaluation

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Each move has 7 characteristics that provide its total offense, and usability. These characteristics help evaluate certain moves. It can provide a new, and statistical analysis of a characters offense, thus helping us break brawl down to its most basic form.

#1 - Damage

Everyone knows that most moves do damage. But how much? Knowing the range of damage your move can do is essential. The more damage your opponent has, the more each of the other 5 characteristics are boosted. Moves that deal high damage come with a cost usually. And that means that one or more of the other characteristics are low, or almost non existent.

#2 - Disjointed

How much priority does the move have? When it clashes with another move, does it usually surpass the opposing offense? Knowing how disjointed your hitbox is also key. Most moves that are dealt have clashed with another move before landing. A disjointed hitbox is an area of your hitbox that will not attain any damage to you if it clashed with another move. This can let your surpass other moves in constantly clashing battles.
For example: Marth. All of his moves are disjointed except his grabs. His sword is the area of his hitbox that will not give you any damage if it clashes with another move. If you get damage dealt to you, then you are usually halted in your move animation, and are in a period of hitstun. But you have a disjointed hitbox. The only thing that came in contact with the opposing move is your sword. Thus making it surpass the opponents attack. This act is commonly known a priority.

#3 - Lag

How fast is your move? Now there are three things to consider. Pre-lag: The amount of lag your move has before it initiates damage. Post-lag: The amount of lag your move has before damage execution. And Interim-speed: The speed of the move in damage execution. Speed can help a rapid fire offensive game. Moves that are fast enough not to let your opponent breathe. Speed helps off stage battle quite well.

#4 - Knockback and Hitstun

How far does your move send your opponent? This is needed for kill moves. And can help you put your opponent in a place out of their reach, giving you room to breathe. Knockback can decay, so save your killers for when you need them.

Sub Property - Hitstun

Hitstun is directly related to knock back. It can also be character dependent. That is why it is a sub property, and an effect of knock back.
Lol. Brawl doesn't have any. This characteristic is almost non existent in brawl, but it is there nonetheless. Any move with greater hitstun with average moves can help controll the main tide of the game.

#5 - Positioning

Where does your move send your opponent? Where does the move leave you? This trait can vary considering where you are, and so I am just going to give you an example:

Dolphin Slash (Marths Up+b): If you miss, you end up getting punished because your ending positioning was horrible: Free falling from high up. Bad ending position.
Now if you hit, then you can focus on your opponents positioning: Sailing away from you at the side of the stage. For them, its bad positioning.

#6 - Range

This one is very difficult to figure. The range of your range is huge. Basically, a move with good range can be good offense and defense. You can stop approaches pretty well when combined with priority. Range protects you quite a lot. Especially if it is disjointed.
#7 - Invincibility and Superarmor
Some moves have frames in which you will not flinch, or receive any damage. This is invincibility. Other moves have super armor, which makes it impossible to flinch but you still receive damage. Pretty simple. But very valuable.

Each characteristic can be combined to result in a good move. Speed, and Damage can be used as a fast and pain inducing thrasher. A move with range and priority can be the best defense. Positioning and knock back can be a killer.

Now these characteristics aren't too helpful late in the game. We all know that brawl has been exploited. But they can help in re evaluation a match up, or meta games, and such. I suppose every good smasher should be able to recognize these traits in a move, and evaluate the situation. Sometimes knowing these and how they work with the opposing force's metagame can help you out of a tight spot.

These properties are applied to general offensive moves. Not all apply at all times. Grabs, and projectiles are perfect examples.

I hope this has been a good read. I kinda did it just for fun. Maybe it will help in the near or distant future.

Happy Brawling, Guys

--DarX

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Samus's zair.

1) 4 on a sourspot, 7 on a sweetspot. Any damage is good damage in a game like Brawl.
2) Cuts through everything because it is super disjointed, so there are no clashes to worry about as far as I know
3) Comes out fairly quick and auto-cancels. Even if you don't land with using it, you shouldn't be getting punished with it with decent spacing
4) Enough so Samus can avoid punishment
5) Can KO at higher %s when sweetspotted. Otherwise, the knockback isn't the greatest, but it is enough to get them away from you.
6) It sends the opponent horizontally, and Samus is generally safe and not in a bad position.
7) Godly range.

Going off of this, I would conclude that this is one of the top moves in the game.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
samus zair is amazing, too bad all around samus sucks
i definately would want samus's zair on all my characters especially on a moveslot such as zair

Spade1

Smash Apprentice
Don't you mean "7 characteristics"

The title says 7 characters.

good write up tho. :)

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
IMO, from most important to least would be.. Range, Lag, Priority, Positioning, Knockback, Damage, Hitstun. The only ones that matter a lot would be the first two, the third matters a bit, and the others barely matter at all by comparison.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
From what I remember, hitstun is directly related to knockback.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
Hitstun is not an intrinsic property of a move. It is proportional to the force with which the character is launched, and also to a character-specific constant.

Priority is not really an intrinsic property either. I would replace that one by "disjointedness", and maybe also add "invincibility or superarmour" as another characteristic.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
He means they don't mean much to us now since we know about them and have looked into Brawl pretty intensely. He goes on to say that they don't help much until you start looking at the move and what it does in a given situation; that it could possibly open your imagination to interesting and useful ways to take advantage of the move.

This knowledge can also be useful when you don't know a matchup too well, all you have to do is read your opponent and then apply all these characteristics to your moves and quickly determine what moves will probably work and which ones won't.

Pretty good thread, but take Colin and Ankoku's advice.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
There's both intrinsic and implied priority.
Yeah, and neither of them is an intrinsic property of a move.

Just because SCOTU and I both used the word "intrinsic" doesn't mean that we are saying the same thing. He means "intrinsic" as in a mechanic in the game, I mean an intrinsic property of an arbitrary move.

The reason the intrinsic priority mechanic is not an intrinsic property of a move is that it is based on damage, an actual intrinsic property of a move. To clarify: the only reason one move has "better intrinsic priority" than another one is that it does more damage, so clearly damage is the intrinsic property here, not intrinsic priority.

Jupz

Smash Master
I came up with these characteristics in my head except for numbers 5 and 7 but they help and this is a good list, it explains it well.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Great fundamental list. I hope this clears up some of the debates.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
and maybe also add "invincibility or superarmour" as another characteristic.
Maybe you could call it "Other Special Properties."

I don't think it's possible just to go through a list and say well, if it has 1/7 characteristics in the "good" range it's a good move, 4/7 is fair, and 7/7 is excellent simply because actual in-game usage is not so clean-cut. But since I don't believe that was exactly the point of the guide, and it was more to provide some general terms of evaluation, it's a great guideline.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Yeah, and neither of them is an intrinsic property of a move.

Just because SCOTU and I both used the word "intrinsic" doesn't mean that we are saying the same thing. He means "intrinsic" as in a mechanic in the game, I mean an intrinsic property of an arbitrary move.

The reason the intrinsic priority mechanic is not an intrinsic property of a move is that it is based on damage, an actual intrinsic property of a move. To clarify: the only reason one move has "better intrinsic priority" than another one is that it does more damage, so clearly damage is the intrinsic property here, not intrinsic priority.
...What I meant was that disjointedness isn't the only factor in determining priority.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...What I meant was that disjointedness isn't the only factor in determining priority.
Damage dealt is the only other factor, besides the switch that determines whether it can clash or not.

Top Bottom