• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anarchy IS DUMB AND EVERYONE WHO BELIEVES IN IT SHOULD BE MURDERED IN CAMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Edit: I changed the thread title in the hopes people will respond, hopefully someone will think it's funny. If you're offended know that I'm kidding and while I don't think Anarchy is realistic I like the concept of it. Only people we should make death camps for are the gays

This debate started in the Atheist social group, but I decided to move it here because it doesn't belong there and is more interesting here.

RDK said:
The whole point of anarchism is the abolishment of government. Basically, it is the individual who governs oneself instead of some sort of idealized "entity" that we call "government". What this means is that everyone gets to do whatever the hell he / she wants. When you get right down to it, it's essentially just a return to humanistic naturalism.
Are you aware of what humanistic naturalism means? Because it does not describe what you are talking about. Humanistic naturalism is about not defining things as being "nature" or "not nature", that industry is bad, and that we should return to agriculture.

RDK said:
Look at Somalia. While it's a bad example of pure anarchism because it's ravaged by war and is a horrendously poor country to begin with, the whole gist of Somalia at this point is that the people with the means to take what they want end up doing so, simply because they have the means.
And that is good? You are aware Somalia is filled with gangs that massacre and **** whoever they want, yes? It's genocide. Look at Iraq, a strong central government collapses and now there's war. Christ, look at America. You think that if the central government was to collapse members of the religious right wouldn't take it as a time to "return America to God" through war?

I'm not sure why you think that system is somehow better then what we have. Unless you are just bitter and want to bring what we have down? Because at the moment, the rights people don't have are minor, the rights we do have are huge, and people can live comfortably and safe and can largely do what they want. How is your system somehow better?

RDK said:
With this system, there's no more bull**** politics;
Bull****, politics have been around since humanity existed. Somalia has tons of politics. Unless you mean "not bull****" politics and not politics in general as being bull****, in which case you're still wrong because there's no reason to assume these politics are for some reason "pure" just because there's no central government.

RDK said:
no more lies and deception;
n

Again, like I said before, bull****.

RDK said:
no more hoodwinking people into thinking they have control over their government--thinking they have a "voice" in democracy--when in reality, they don't, and they're actually just being told what to do by a bunch of bribing, one-upping mobsters who get switched out for yet another group of bribing, one-upping mobsters every few years.
So, instead of voting for said "mobsters" and "hoodwinking" people into thinking they have control, people just know they dont? You argue in favor of personal rights, but for some reason think that if we go to a gang system, which is exactly what you are advocating, people will for some reason give a **** and that it'll be people who believe what you do will take control. People deep down believe Marijuana, drugs, and things like atheism are morally wrong. Lots of people. Why wouldn't they be the people forming the groups then because of where you live you have to go along with them?

RDK said:
At least with this system, you can attempt an outright overthrow of a group / system you don't like. Natural selection dictates which group survives, and those selected to survive and reproduce do so.
Ah, so you're in favor of Social Darwinism.

RDK said:
And of course, it doesn't have to be like this. There's certainly room for cooperation and free dealings between groups that don't involve some sort of war, violence, or bloodshed. In fact, groups would mutually benefit from helping each other and joining in alliances, because this would mean that the system as a whole would be protected from extremist and fringe groups, or even foreign powers, that seek to revert to the old style of government.
Please explain why you think extremists wouldn't be forming these groups? Why would it be anarchists who would be forming these groups and capable of defending everything? Why would people's sense of greed and want not lead to them trying to exert more control? Why would it only be nice people that are forming said group and not the said "mobsters" or a new series of "mobsters" that'd be doing so?

And this was the post I made before that started it (it was actually in response to a post Zero said, but his wasn't really an argument but rather saying people who don't believe in Anarchism won't debate it and instead will just attack the person who believes in it)

Also parts of this post was a joke, I'm assuming people can tell which parts (the rapist part!)

Eor said:
Anarchy is ******** because it has the idea that once government is gone people won't put it back up. Government was created by a few people who were in unique positions that let them exert control over everyone else, and the idea that we should dismantle our current government and become anarchists (and I assume this is the libertarian form of anarchism, not the form of anarchy that also supports going back to hunter/gatherer), then a few in the upper class will be in another unique position to take control again.

The largest, fundamental differences between "civilizations" and the hunter/gatherer societies (such as native Australians/African tribes/native Americans) is their lack of a unified government. Government takes away rights but it also allows for advancements. Looking at the trend of government, I'd say we're pretty close to the best pay off of lack of rights to advancement.

Also, Ayn Rand was an idiot who presented her ideas of Obectivism as being the opposite of a false definition of Altruism that no one has ever held in the world, then also created her own definition of selfish and used that to defend her philosophy.

Besides, a novel where a character has a 200 page monologue isn't a novel. It's a piece of ****.

Everyone who likes Ayn Rand is also a rapist

edit: New post by RDK

rdk said:
I tend to disagree. Humans are not social, just mildly gregarious. Which is why things like Communism look pretty on paper but will ultimately fail.
Humans have, since before we were humans, been social creatures. Like chimps, we formed groups to protect and help ourselves. As we advanced, these groups became basic tribes. We've always been social creatures.

RDK

Smash Hero
Before I take part in a shouting match, which is what this is inevitably going to turn into, I'd like to make it clear that the type of anarchy I'm espousing in this particular topic is not my actual political view, and I would never actually consider reverting to this particular flavor of anarchism. I'm simply attempting to dispel the rumors surrounding this type of anarchy and make people think about why we have government in the first place.

That being said, let's begin.

Are you aware of what humanistic naturalism means? Because it does not describe what you are talking about. Humanistic naturalism is about not defining things as being "nature" or "not nature", that industry is bad, and that we should return to agriculture.
When I said "humanistic naturalism" I was not referring to the type of extremist humanistic naturalism that shuns technology and industry. Such things are inherently natural, or rather stem from natural causes, seeing as how the term supernatural does not apply to any debate dealing with scientific or rational topics.

And that is good? You are aware Somalia is filled with gangs that massacre and **** whoever they want, yes? It's genocide. Look at Iraq, a strong central government collapses and now there's war. Christ, look at America. You think that if the central government was to collapse members of the religious right wouldn't take it as a time to "return America to God" through war?
Notice how I said that Somalia in particular was a poor example due to outside influences that basically shaped the country into what it is now. You're shunning an entire system of living after looking at just a snapshot in time. Which is akin to shunning capitalism based on the fact that economic upheavals happen.

Also, in terms of "violence" and "massacres", nothing humans do to each other is brand new to nature. Animals have done it and will always do it. The taboo surrounding comparing humans to animals is self-righteous and needs to stop, seeing as how we all are animals.

So I'm not going to baby you, and tell you everything's going to be alright. Naturalism is cruel, although cruel is a description unfairly foisted upon it by human emotions and sensibilities. We shouldn't hold back from the reality of something just because it makes us uncomfortable. If we did, I contend that most of us would still be religious.

I'm not sure why you think that system is somehow better then what we have. Unless you are just bitter and want to bring what we have down? Because at the moment, the rights people don't have are minor, the rights we do have are huge, and people can live comfortably and safe and can largely do what they want. How is your system somehow better?
In my personal opinion, I'd rather have the ability (and knowledge) to take what I wanted forcefully than just the illusion of power. Do you really believe your voice matters when it comes to the modern political system?

Bull****, politics have been around since humanity existed. Somalia has tons of politics. Unless you mean "not bull****" politics and not politics in general as being bull****, in which case you're still wrong because there's no reason to assume these politics are for some reason "pure" just because there's no central government.

So, instead of voting for said "mobsters" and "hoodwinking" people into thinking they have control, people just know they dont? You argue in favor of personal rights, but for some reason think that if we go to a gang system, which is exactly what you are advocating, people will for some reason give a **** and that it'll be people who believe what you do will take control. People deep down believe Marijuana, drugs, and things like atheism are morally wrong. Lots of people. Why wouldn't they be the people forming the groups then because of where you live you have to go along with them?
What I'm advocating is a realization that in the natural world, there is no such thing as rights. Consequently, there are no such thing as morals, so any beef you have with the civility or morality of such a system are off the mark; pure anarchy has no comment on these.

The goal of nature is to survive. This means through any means possible. In this type of a system, my morals would be cosmologically different than yours, and they are the same only in the fact that we are both looking out for ourselves.

Ah, so you're in favor of Social Darwinism.
You make it sound like a bad thing.

Please explain why you think extremists wouldn't be forming these groups? Why would it be anarchists who would be forming these groups and capable of defending everything? Why would people's sense of greed and want not lead to them trying to exert more control? Why would it only be nice people that are forming said group and not the said "mobsters" or a new series of "mobsters" that'd be doing so?
Terms like "nice" are inherently subjective, so unless you can give me a specific example of this kind of situation, I have no idea what you're trying to get across.

The only thing I meant to assert by that post was that what would happen is what always happens. The strongest group survives. This doesn't mean that it has to be the group that will be the strongest in the long run; just for the expediency of the moment. In cases where such a dominant group fails to propagate further, this only means that the group is no longer the dominant group, and another, more fit, group would take over.

Any contrivances about what is right or wrong, fit or non-fit, are just that: contrivances. Natural selection is the sole force in deciding what is right or fit, and because of this, what natural selection dictates is inherently correct.

I suppose you could say my main purpose in defending this point of view is that I see our current form of traditional politics as "on it's way out", so to speak; or, more simply, an evolutionary dead end as far as social politics is concerned.

And this was the post I made before that started it (it was actually in response to a post Zero said, but his wasn't really an argument but rather saying people who don't believe in Anarchism won't debate it and instead will just attack the person who believes in it)

Also parts of this post was a joke, I'm assuming people can tell which parts (the rapist part!)
For those of you spectating, my responses to this post are quoted in Eor's OP.

Humans have, since before we were humans, been social creatures. Like chimps, we formed groups to protect and help ourselves. As we advanced, these groups became basic tribes. We've always been social creatures.
Humans are not chimps, just as neither humans nor chimps are the ancestors that they evolved from. Our ancestors may have been entirely social creatures, but as humans, we have become less and less reliant on each other and have become more and more of an individual entity.

If you can show me that humans are just as reliantly and needily social as chimps, I'll concede your point. Otherwise, I contend that evolutionary adaptations of humans--the brain in particular--have greatly decreased the level of dependency we have on other members of the species. Things like technology have only served to speed this up.

Have you noticed that, with increasing effectiveness, social "networking" systems like Facebook, or even cell phones, discourage people from actually taking the time to meet others face to face? Many people I know would rather make a phone call or have a conversation on Facebook than actually go out and do something with their friends in person.

Again, whether or not this is "good" or "right" is 100% subjective, and science is silent on such things.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I like this debate. Let me just toss something in before it gets too far along:

In history, government has NEVER been an instrument of peace but of war. In fact, government usually pops up as a RESPONSE for or to a war.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Humans are still socially dependent.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...n-still-financially-dependent-on-parents.html - Dependent upon other members of their society, also known as parents until their mid 20s to early thirties. That's about 1/3 of your life. Then, after you retire, you rely on society again for social security.
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/011910.html
This also shows that around 37% of the population are not between working age, meaning they, as humans, must rely upon a society to take care of them.
These statistics show that we have not become more independent at all. You might think so, but economically, we're still very dependent on society and its members. Unless, you want to say, screw all the old people and all the younger kids.

Anyways, I like this debate. :) Wanna see Eor's response.

:093:

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Just like CK did, I'd like to point out some things while Eor and RDK enjoy their debate:

Anarchy already exists in our lives. Let's say the states exist. They(the state) can only use authority where its agents(cops) are there to enforce it. Because police officers are limited, the State's reach is inherently limited. At any particular time, the police can only control a certain limited area. They can't be everywhere or see everything. In fact, they cannot be in most places at most times. Unless there is a police officer close enough to you to protect you, you are essentially in a state of anarchy.

At that point in time, you can act without fear of police action. The fact that these anarchies exist shouldn't be a surprise.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
When I said "humanistic naturalism" I was not referring to the type of extremist humanistic naturalism that shuns technology and industry. Such things are inherently natural, or rather stem from natural causes, seeing as how the term supernatural does not apply to any debate dealing with scientific or rational topics.
Ok, my bad then. That was the only version of Humanistic naturalism I knew of.

Notice how I said that Somalia in particular was a poor example due to outside influences that basically shaped the country into what it is now. You're shunning an entire system of living after looking at just a snapshot in time. Which is akin to shunning capitalism based on the fact that economic upheavals happen.
I'm shunning an entire system of living because it has never occurred in human nature. The world is already politically shaped. My arguments are not out of "what is philosophically the best" but what is practical.

Also, in terms of "violence" and "massacres", nothing humans do to each other is brand new to nature. Animals have done it and will always do it. The taboo surrounding comparing humans to animals is self-righteous and needs to stop, seeing as how we all are animals.
I'm aware humans are animals. We're also the most successful animals to have ever existed, and we act different from most animals. Morality is a good example of that. Just because we're animals in no way invalidates morality. A lot of social animals protect the weak and hurt, and they don't kill each other. Some will attack others to defend their territory, but they rarely kill each other, only those of different species.

So I'm not going to baby you, and tell you everything's going to be alright. Naturalism is cruel, although cruel is a description unfairly foisted upon it by human emotions and sensibilities. We shouldn't hold back from the reality of something just because it makes us uncomfortable. If we did, I contend that most of us would still be religious.
Naturalism is cruel because of human emotions. Emotions that we evolved to have in order to help us advance.

In my personal opinion, I'd rather have the ability (and knowledge) to take what I wanted forcefully than just the illusion of power. Do you really believe your voice matters when it comes to the modern political system?
I'm one person in a political system of over 300 million. Why should my voice for some reason matter more then anyone elses? No, unless I get elected or work in some lobbyist group (last one is which I plan to do), then I'd do very little. That's good. It works best that way.

What I'm advocating is a realization that in the natural world, there is no such thing as rights. Consequently, there are no such thing as morals, so any beef you have with the civility or morality of such a system are off the mark; pure anarchy has no comment on these.
Morals come out of human emotions that we have at birth through evolution. Naturally that is who we are.

The goal of nature is to survive. This means through any means possible. In this type of a system, my morals would be cosmologically different than yours, and they are the same only in the fact that we are both looking out for ourselves.[/COLOR]
Nature has no goals, nature just is. The only goal of species is to spread genes, not to survive. And no, my system of morality is not just based on serving myself, I want to help others. Yes, helping others does make me feel good. I don't see how that changes anything. I know you didn't mention that but I'm pre-emptively bringing it up because I've heard it before.

You make it sound like a bad thing.
I object to killing thousands or millions on the basis that I somehow have a better reason to live just because I can farm better.

Terms like "nice" are inherently subjective, so unless you can give me a specific example of this kind of situation, I have no idea what you're trying to get across.

What I was getting across was that the said gangs/groups that would come up wouldn't hold your views and be in favor of said social Darwinism. Again I was arguing out of practicality, that this form of anarchism would never work

The only thing I meant to assert by that post was that what would happen is what always happens. The strongest group survives. This doesn't mean that it has to be the group that will be the strongest in the long run; just for the expediency of the moment. In cases where such a dominant group fails to propagate further, this only means that the group is no longer the dominant group, and another, more fit, group would take over.

Any contrivances about what is right or wrong, fit or non-fit, are just that: contrivances. Natural selection is the sole force in deciding what is right or fit, and because of this, what natural selection dictates is inherently correct.

I suppose you could say my main purpose in defending this point of view is that I see our current form of traditional politics as "on it's way out", so to speak; or, more simply, an evolutionary dead end as far as social politics is concerned.
Why is natural selection somehow right, and therefore moral? You are arguing against morality, but you're entire argument, the idea that natural selection is the best way to live, is based off an idea of morality.

Humans are not chimps, just as neither humans nor chimps are the ancestors that they evolved from.
I'm aware, but as Chimps are the closest to us it was a valid point

Our ancestors may have been entirely social creatures, but as humans, we have become less and less reliant on each other and have become more and more of an individual entity.
There isn't a contradiction between individual entities and being social creatures.

If you can show me that humans are just as reliantly and needily social as chimps, I'll concede your point. Otherwise, I contend that evolutionary adaptations of humans--the brain in particular--have greatly decreased the level of dependency we have on other members of the species. Things like technology have only served to speed this up.
I don't know of any studies done on this, but for the basics I can just point out concepts such as friends and loneliness as being evidence for us being social creatures, as well as how humans have always existed as tribes or clans. There has never been a population of humans that just lived by themselves. It is human nature to form groups, and that's pretty much a universal truth.

Have you noticed that, with increasing effectiveness, social "networking" systems like Facebook, or even cell phones, discourage people from actually taking the time to meet others face to face? Many people I know would rather make a phone call or have a conversation on Facebook than actually go out and do something with their friends in person.
I don't see how that really changes anything, it's still social contact.

In history, government has NEVER been an instrument of peace but of war. In fact, government usually pops up as a RESPONSE for or to a war.
I've only heard of Government popping up (and I mean from say, an earlier tribal system, not a collection of city states) because a few people were in unique positions to exert control over everyone else. But at the same time this is what drove human advancement, the main difference between cultures that advanced or didn't were through government, and at the moment I believe we're at a good payoff of rights to advancement. There are plenty more for us to receive, I'm actually very libertarian when it comes to personal rights.

J

Anarchy already exists in our lives. Let's say the states exist. They(the state) can only use authority where its agents(cops) are there to enforce it. Because police officers are limited, the State's reach is inherently limited. At any particular time, the police can only control a certain limited area. They can't be everywhere or see everything. In fact, they cannot be in most places at most times. Unless there is a police officer close enough to you to protect you, you are essentially in a state of anarchy.

At that point in time, you can act without fear of police action. The fact that these anarchies exist shouldn't be a surprise.
I don't see how that's anarchy at all. People rarely do anything in spur of the moment bursts, people consider past and future events and results. Just because there are no cops with me doesn't mean that I'm free from police actions.

And for where I'm coming from: I think people are naturally "good", but that false ideas and things like that are what hides it from people. So no, I don't think if the government goes away that everyone will just start looting, ****** and murdering. I do think that stuff will happen on a larger level, however. Personally, I don't steal from major stores because I don't want to be caught and prosecuted. It's a flaw but it's what I am. I'm sure there are plenty of other things people would do. But beyond that, like I mentioned before, Government was created through a few people in unique postition to exert control. I think in Anarcho capitalism, government would just easily be started again by those at the top who want to establish dynasties or protect their own interests. I think RDK's method wouldn't really work because human advancement is from societies with government. It was only through government issues labor that large farms started, that led for a surplus that let other people do other jobs that weren't simply based around survival, such as metalworking or astronomy or leather working.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Since no one wants to debate in this thread, I'll make one by taking other posts people make and answering to them here

First, this post http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8039456&postcount=11

Of course government is corrupt. It's very nature is to control and regulate life, which wants to be free. Hell, George Carlin said it extremely well "It's not the Bills of Rights; it's the Bill of Privileges." Rights are irrevocable, unlimited, and natural. Privileges are established by the government to limit what we can and can't do by defining what we can. For example, sodomy is on the verge of being completely illegal in homes, in some states. That means, if you sodomize your consenting wife or your consenting life partner, you are committing a crime. And yet, we have the RIGHT to the pursuit of happiness?

The concept that government is anything more than a device for control is a complete and utter fallacy.
I'm not actually arguing with this post, I think he's right, I'm just posting it because it sheds his ideas for the future post (in the same thread).

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8041782&postcount=15

The Government of the US is NOT decided by the PEOPLE, but by representatives. People do not elective officials, but they vote for representatives who then select officials. If they want, they can switch votes after being selected. It happens.
This is a pretty misleading statement. It's only true for the Electoral College, and while twice a single elector has changed his vote, it's never decided an election or been close, and most states have laws against the members doing that. It's still a terrible system.

These are examples of the government tapping into our lives for our "safety," when in reality they are monitoring us. Also, on the topic of regulation, regulation only works if EVERYTHING is regulated.
Proof for this massive claim, please

Guns, money, health care, cars, roads, schools, EVERYTHING. None of those, however, SHOULD be regulated because we, as citizens in a free society, do not deserve government scrutiny. Unless I am physically harming someone, I should not have to deal with laws. Honestly, think of any harm this mentality would create. Robbery, murder, ****, pedophilia, and the natural taboos would be included still, but things like "treason" and "malicious intentions" would be vanquished. It is a patriotic duty to dissent.
You start talking about regulation, but then you change it to "scrutiny". While they basically mean the same, the connotations are different, and that's the main thing. And it's the major problem I have with libertarianism/Anarchy. So much of it seems to only be based on the idea that "government is bad", and therefore anything the Government does is an attempt to take away rights and punish people, without actually looking at what's happening. You know I agree with you on almost all social issues, and on a lot of other things, such as public schools being biased, forced recital of the pledge, and things like that. But unlike you, I want to change it, not strip down the social system we've had since before we were Homo sapiens.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
The thing is anarchy for a short period is a good form of government...

Modern anarchist societies have shown that the rich members of society get less rich but the poor get less poor...

However, i feel that eventually a form of government will have to occur in a society

aeghrur

Smash Champion
The thing is anarchy for a short period is a good form of government...

Modern anarchist societies have shown that the rich members of society get less rich but the poor get less poor...

However, i feel that eventually a form of government will have to occur in a society
I agree with this due to the fact that scarcity will always exist causing greed which causes people to *possibly* kill other people should a government not exist. =/ Or at least cause more people to kill other people.

Mewter

Smash Master
I remember this topic! :laugh:

So what if the government is a little unfair about some things at times? I'd take it over anarchy any day. Besides, (as pacmansays*) some form of government will have to occur eventually. People will just naturally band together as they always do, so it's kind of a waste of time (not to mention the chaos that would come of the anarchy).
And what is up with the title!? :laugh:

*See what I did there?

Edit for clarity because I didn't want to post again:
This mostly applies to large bodies of people/ a huge population ^.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Just to expand upon my point

Anarchic societies can exist (and some do) and last for a long period of time and the effects are generally good for the individuals in this society.

But its important to note that all these societies are extremely small...often just large groups of people. When you're dealing with my country of the UK with 60 million people it is hard to govern or function without a form of government existing

.Marik

is a social misfit
Every successful government is pratically a dictatorship. I think it was RDK who once said that, I don't exactly remember.

On paper, anarchy would be the prime choice of running a successful society. But realistically, humans are naturally flawed and corrupted, and survival and dominating others is oh so important.

I recently read The Lord Of The Flies by William Golding, and he uses the boys as an example to prove how corrupted humans can be, and we know that eventually, every anarchy-themed system will become a communist state or dictatorship. Power, money, greed, and other various factors can help contribute to the downfall of society.

I think governments are naturally always going to exist, there has to be a human-made structure to help a heavily populated and moral-free society remain intact. In a democratic government, the people aren't really free to speak out and do what they please, there are limitations to "free speech" and while we can stunt power of politicians, we can't completely abolish an already chosen President or Prime Minister. And if they want a certain person to "keep quiet" or to indoctrinate bullsh*t theories, then they can do accomplish that task.

I'm not the most educated person in regards to this discussion, and I don't want to sound like a conspiracist, just stating the obvious and my opinionated answer. Even though I support the notion of anarchy, I can say it won't realistically work in densely populated societies, especially in diverse ones such as Canada and the United States.

RDK

Smash Hero
Good job raising this topic from the dead, Eor; I never got a chance to respond to your statements. Finally, a topic I care about!

I'm shunning an entire system of living because it has never occurred in human nature. The world is already politically shaped. My arguments are not out of "what is philosophically the best" but what is practical.
Anarchy has never occurred in human nature? I hope you realize how silly this statement is.

I'm aware humans are animals. We're also the most successful animals to have ever existed, and we act different from most animals. Morality is a good example of that.
I'm not sure what the point of this paragraph is. You start out by saying that morality is part of what separates us from the animals, but then you go on to give examples of how animals demonstrate morality:

Just because we're animals in no way invalidates morality. A lot of social animals protect the weak and hurt, and they don't kill each other. Some will attack others to defend their territory, but they rarely kill each other, only those of different species.
My point was that morality is completely subjective depending on your individual situation. I'm not negating morality; it exists for sure, but not in the objective form many religious people think it does.

Naturalism is cruel because of human emotions. Emotions that we evolved to have in order to help us advance.
I don't disagree with this.

I'm one person in a political system of over 300 million. Why should my voice for some reason matter more then anyone elses? No, unless I get elected or work in some lobbyist group (last one is which I plan to do), then I'd do very little. That's good. It works best that way.

I never said it should matter more than anyone else; at least in a democracy. The point of anarchy is that there is no democracy. Those who have the means to take what they want can take it.

Morals come out of human emotions that we have at birth through evolution. Naturally that is who we are.
I wouldn't go so far to say that we have full-fledged emotions and morals at birth, at least not like the emotions or morals you and I are capable of. Although you'd have to specify before I comment anymore on the subject.

Nature has no goals, nature just is.
Wrong, but I'll get to that in a moment. First you say nature has no goals, and then you go on to say this:

The only goal of species is to spread genes, not to survive.
Which one is it?

Edit: I don't think I made myself as clear as I would have liked in my response, which may be why you answered the way you did. My point was that life, whether at the species level or some other level, has a single goal: to survive long enough to pass on its genes.

And no, my system of morality is not just based on serving myself, I want to help others. Yes, helping others does make me feel good. I don't see how that changes anything. I know you didn't mention that but I'm pre-emptively bringing it up because I've heard it before.
Whether you like it (or recognize it) or not, yes, helping others is a gain for you. It might not be a survival benefit, but it brings about a sort of pleasure, just like eating your favorite food or sucking on a lollipop.

I object to killing thousands or millions on the basis that I somehow have a better reason to live just because I can farm better.
I never said you had a better reason to live, I said that those who have the power to do so will use that power. It's not a moral statement, it's a very strong tendency of nature.

Why is natural selection somehow right, and therefore moral? You are arguing against morality, but you're entire argument, the idea that natural selection is the best way to live, is based off an idea of morality.
I never meant it was the right way to live, I'm trying to show that it is the norm. It happens in nature, every single day. You can't get away from it.

There isn't a contradiction between individual entities and being social creatures.
I said the technological age was pushing us towards being mildly gregarious instead of overtly social creatures, like chimps, not that we aren't social creatures in any way, shape, or form.

I don't know of any studies done on this, but for the basics I can just point out concepts such as friends and loneliness as being evidence for us being social creatures, as well as how humans have always existed as tribes or clans. There has never been a population of humans that just lived by themselves. It is human nature to form groups, and that's pretty much a universal truth.
Read my above statement.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I never said it should matter more than anyone else; at least in a democracy. The point of anarchy is that there is no democracy. Those who have the means to take what they want can take it.

Lol, that line is why we shouldn't have anarchy. It basically says, hey, let's allow for **** in this new system of no government!
After all, those who have the means to take what they want can take it in anarchy. If you have the strength... yup.
After all, is there any reason not to do so in such a system? What are the dis-incentives of taking what you want? There's nothing to stop you, and nothing to punish you.
So RDK, if you support anarchy, and anarchy supports ****, do you support **** or is there some connection in there I got wrong?

RDK

Smash Hero
So RDK, if you support anarchy, and anarchy supports ****, do you support **** or is there some connection in there I got wrong?

Saying I support **** because I support anarchy is the same as me saying you support **** because you support democracy. If enough people vote for freedom to **** in a democracy, then you have the freedom to ****.

I'm not endorsing any of the consequences that might come about from anarchy, I'm trying to show you that things like **** are commonplace in nature and we are part of nature. I'm trying to get you to explore the moral and ethical system humans have put in place, and to explore why exactly we think we're better than the rest of the animal kingdom.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Saying I support **** because I support anarchy is the same as me saying you support **** because you support democracy. If enough people vote for freedom to **** in a democracy, then you have the freedom to ****.

I'm not endorsing any of the consequences that might come about from anarchy, I'm trying to show you that things like **** are commonplace in nature and we are part of nature. I'm trying to get you to explore the moral and ethical system humans have put in place, and to explore why exactly we think we're better than the rest of the animal kingdom.
Hm, I see.
Well, my bad then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom