• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Skywalker [Instant High Tier]

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You trade for a different Jab, Ftilt, Fsmash, Dash Attack, and your grab & turnips for a beam sword item. The pulling of a random sword is an instant surprise mix-up for both you and your opponent. But will the force be with you?

Comparing the beam sword to each attack it replaces, we can gain insight on its spontaneous pros and cons.

Sword Jab
5% at base
4% everywhere else

Hits on frame: 4
Duration: 23
Shield stun: 1
Shield advantage: -14
Shield drop advantage: -7

Normal Jab
3% only the first jab

Hits on frame: 2
Duration: 19
Shield stun: 5
Shield advantage: -18
Shield drop advantage: ?

With the sword jab you trade for slight more power (+1%) and more range. The bad aspects are minimal, it's still relatively fast (4 frame), and in total lasts only 4 frames longer the the normal jab.

Overall, the normal jab still outclasses it in everything but range. The normal jab is more useful due it's speed as an interrupter and it's many followups; while the sword jab's general use is rather bland.

Sword Ftilt
8% at base and tip (Kills at 254%)
7% between (Kills at 284%)

Hits on frame: 9
Duration: 41
Shield stun: 2
Shield advantage: -30
Shield drop advantage: -23

Normal Ftilt
6-13% at varying ranges (Kills at 139-182%)

Hits on frame: 6
Duration: 36
Shield stun: 14
Shield advantage: -26
Shield hit lag: 10

The sword ftilt is built on lies. While flashy, the sword's ftilt is deceitful in only having longer range in front. That huge twirl you see? Nope, it's just for show. As shown in the images below, the ftilt has little to no hitboxes above, below, or even behind Peach. It's horizontal reach is not to be underestimated though - that thing has reach.

The normal ftilt meanwhile has a nice scoop that hits above and below Peach. Not to mention it's capable of KOing around ~130%, the sword only KOs after 250%.

The sword trades a vertical KO and an aerial sweep, for a ranged and misleading grounded stroke. The sword-throw makes up for the loss of an upwards KO move though, so overall the trade is decent.

Sword Fsmash
12% at base and tip (Kills at 150%)
11% everywhere else (Kills at 164%)

Hits on frame: 18
Duration: 59
Shield stun: 4
Shield advantage: -37
Shield drop advantage: -30

Normal Fsmash
12% as tennis racket (Kills at 99%)
15% as golf club (Kills at 131%)
18% as pan (Kills at 135%)

Hits on frame: 15
Duration: 40
Shield stun: 13 (tennis), 15 (golf), 17 (frying pan)
Shield advantage: -21 (tennis), -21 (golf), -20 (frying pan)
Shield hit lag: 9 (tennis), 11 (golf), 12 (frying pan)

Reminiscent of Marth's fsmash: less damaging, slower, and laggier, the sword fsmash's seemingly only redeeming qualities is that it has massive range and isn't random. Contrarily, the fsmash is one of the best sword moves.

Upon receiving the sword, Peach gains the longest ranged fsmash in the game.

Longer than Ike's.
Longer than Dedede's.
Longer then Marth's.

Laugh at them from across FD. Of course, spamming this move will only get you killed. But with smart spacing, and keeping your opponent at a distance at exact moments, the fsmash will be your sweet bloodstained friend.

Sword Dash Attack
7% everywhere (Kills at 378%)

Hits on frame: 11
Duration: 45
Shield advantage: -32

Normal Dash Attack
4% only first hit (Second hit kills at 235%)

Hits on frame: 6
Duration: 37
Shield stun: 7
Shield hit lag: 6

A few fun facts about the sword Dash Attack:
  • Even though it has quite a lunge, there's no hitbox inside Peach.
  • Except for dash attack, the sword is more damaging and has more knockback at the tip and base.
  • Every attack has a 45 degree trajectory, except dash attack, which is more 65 degreeish.
Basically, the sword simply trades for more range. Nothing incredibly useful gained, nothing incredibly useful lost.

Thrown Sword
15% thrown horizontally
9% if casually dropped
4 - 10% for z drops depending on distance (the farther the stronger)
10 - 14% for an aerial thrown sword

A ground thrown sword will KO at 118% at ftilt range.
A ground thrown sword will KO at 119% at turnip range.

The thrown sword is what I consider the saving grace for the entire item. While each new attack serves it's purpose, without it being capable of KOing at 120%, the sword would be more of a complete handicap for a Peach.

Seriously, Peach pulling a sword gains her a fast, powerful, punishing, not to mention easy-to-land KO move. It outclasses everything in Peach's arsenal beyond the bomb-omb in sheer KO power, and accuracy.

Never throw it at a grounded opponent who is capable of shielding.

Never throw it if there's a chance if it being reflected.

Try not to lose the sword.

Do use the throw to punish the use of a projectile. You can't be camped.

Do punish any move with any minuscule amount of lag.

In conclusion, it seems that upon receiving a sword a Peach could simply abuse something she initially did not have - disjointed, glowing, range. Peach is also instantly cured from her largest weakness - difficulty KOing.

Imagine Marth with powerful close combat abilities.

It's rarity is also a huge advantage. Most likely, almost certainly, your opponent has no idea how to specifically deal with a sword - much less handle it themselves if they get a hold of it.

Abuse this. Fake out with ftilts. Hell, give it them. What's more fun than dealing with a fsmash happy sword thief?

Let's go over the pros and cons:

Pros
Gain of a quick and powerful KO move
Gain of massive range on jab, ftilt, and notably, fsmash
Gain of powerful answer to projectiles
(Probable) Gain of the element of surprise

Cons
Loss of a two frame jab
Loss of a KOing, and aerial counter-move, ftilt
Loss of a multiple hitting dash attack
Loss of a quick, KOing, fsmash
Complete loss of grabs
Complete loss of turnips

In my opinion, the sword gives us so much more than it takes. Specifically, it gives Peach everything we needed an answer to. Camping? Range? High percent enemies?

Peach turns high tier with a sword, and the best thing?

The very best thing about the sword?

You can just throw it away if you don't believe me.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Hmmm...sword is good only thing is that it can be a little slow @ times. Dropping the sword works 4 me because when it bounces, its another hitbox.

Gea

Smash Master
Peach's grip makes this pretty useless against anyone really good at running -> powershield with OOS options. Generally if I feel like I'm going to be outplayed or spammed badly (TL for example) I throw the sword at them when they jump and chase afterwards.

If it hits them, great. I'll regrab and do it again. If not it should go offstage and be gone.

There are times where it is really useful, but I never seem to pull them when that time is.

You can do some pretty sexy "combos" with it though.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Nice thread. I want to point out that a long time ago I trapped a Yoshi onto Corneria's wall using only jabs with the beamsword. But I'm not sure if it's a potential infinite, or just that the player was too noobish or something. I didn't see this mentioned above so... yeah. Can someone please check it out?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I use Toad too usually.

I've actually been wondering what Peach's fastest taunt is. People seem to freeze for a second when they see the sword, so anything's pretty safe. Who doesn't like to taunt?

Gea

Smash Master
Well, try one of the two that aren't as visually going LOOK AT ME TAUNT unless you want that aggression. Throwing the sword after LA LA LA LAAAA would be pretty hilarious. Same with a bomb omb if you have the balls to do it and hide the thing with the taunt.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Throwing the sword after LA LA LA LAAAA would be pretty hilarious. Same with a bomb omb if you have the balls to do it and hide the thing with the taunt.
Gea you devious little genius. I'd work with stitchies too...

Wait, I think Lalalala doesn't actually hide them. :ohwell:

IxxI

Smash Fence
LOL. Hiding Bomb-omb's, stichfaces, and beamswords with a taunt?! Epic mindgames.

Peach for sexier than Zero Suit Samus Tier.

D

Deleted member

you should mention more with Z dropping. Z dropping a spinning hitbox that big has to have some awesome set-ups from a float.

IxxI

Smash Fence
you should mention more with Z dropping. Z dropping a spinning hitbox that big has to have some awesome set-ups from a float.
I did something like that today.

Jump > Z drop > Float Dair combos.

It was in the beginning of the match LOL. I think the sword shield pokes pretty well too, since my opponent was shielding.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
maybe i'm just dumb but personally I think Mr. Saturn is really broken. but yea...sumtimes i just don't know how to fight w/ the sword. All I do is punish lag or aerials w/ a throw and then mess w/ the z drop a little. but yea...idk how to utilize the sword jab or ftilt.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I love how everyone always ignore my posts. >_>

I guess I'll have to check it out myself.

Edit: Nvm, it doesn't work. =\

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I didn't ignore it, but I'm far too lazy to check, hahaa.

This thread is really cool and quite useful, being good with the beamsword can get you free stocks :D

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Everything that'll restore a beamsword:
Toad
Parasol
Up Taunt (Parasol Twirl)
Down Taunt (Melee Taunt)
Dropping the sword

Just to have the list there.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I use Toad too usually.

I've actually been wondering what Peach's fastest taunt is. People seem to freeze for a second when they see the sword, so anything's pretty safe. Who doesn't like to taunt?
Use the down taunt. It seems to be the fastest

Remember to mix up the sword play very well when you have it. I'm not sure how effective it'll be against someone like MK, but it'll level the playing field (to some extent).

When you got the opponent off the stage, be sure to throw the sword up, have a turnip in ready so as to further limit the recovery options for your opponent.

Top Bottom