• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Almost as Cool as Genesis HYPE Page Mississauga, ON, 6/6/09 Brawl, Melee, SF4

Mikey7

Smash Lord
This thread is just so that more people who don't check the tournament listings page can see it, feel free to post questions or comments here.

120 person cap
Mississauga, Ontario
327 Queen St. South - its a Senior's Center
Saturday June 6, 2009. No high school exam johns this is well in advance : )
10AM-1AM

Schedule - subject to change
Setups and signups done by 12
Teams bracket for both games done by 2
Lunch break for 1 hour
Singles pools for both games 3
Singles bracket for both games hoping to be done by 8 or 9
SF4 side tourney / Brawl+ side tourney until closing aka 12:30, we must be out of the building by 1

Prices:
-Venue fee: $5
-Brawl singles: $10
-Brawl teams: $20
-Melee singles: $10 (or 5, please let me know)
-Melee teams: $20 (or 10, once again let me know)
-If the venue fee is covered, I will distribute the excess into the pot - I will not make a profit here.
-Parking is free

Food: OK BAD NEWS: the Bread and Honey Festival is this weekend. You will probably not be able to get outside food, therefore I AM PROVIDING FOOD for everyone. My mom will come in and cook food, and we will sell it pretty cheap. Food will include
-hot dogs
-pizza
-chips
There is also a fridge and microwave, so I will also be selling drinks.

Directions: TBA. Its where Mississauga Road become Queens St. Right near Vic Johnston (hockey arena)

-Housing: I can't do it...can I have volunteers?

-I am going to need volunteers to run Melee. I can't possibly run this all by myself.

Super Smash Brothers: Brawl

SBR Certified

General rules:
-3 Stock
-8 minute timer
-Items are set to "off" and "none"
-All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Infinite Grabs: Gentlemen's rule (we don't like it, but if you need to do it to win, go right ahead).

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise

Banned:
Everything else.

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

Optional Rules

-Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.

-Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or

-Sonic and Lucario can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.

-Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.

Super Smash Brothers: Melee

SBR Certified

General Rules
Items are set to off
The stock is set to 4 *
The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
All sets are best of 3 matches
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose the stage they last won on
Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
*In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used
**120 seconds per stock should be considered high priority
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Jungle Japes
Mute City
Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Brinstar
For teams: Mute city, FoD banned. Great bay is counterpick

Banned Stage List
Everything else

Additional Rules for Double's Play
Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

General Rules
-no illegal substances no alcohol, no green.
-don't smell, please shower
-Tournament matches have priority over friendlies. MMs have priorities over friendlies

Side Event

-Low tier event. In this event you can challenge low tier volunteers (who will be listed here) for $1 at any time during the tournament as long as they are not playing matches, if you win, your name goes into a raffle and at the end if your name is picked you get a TBA prize. Brawl and smash64 volunteers please
Event coordinater: Carter
Volunteers: will need about 6 total, 3 per game or 4 brawl, 2 for smash 64. Last time our brawl low tiers only lost 6 total sets.
-Culex (samus, brawl)
-Carter (samus, brawl)
-PoisonMist (mario, brawl)
-MarikYoshi (yoshi, brawl)

-@Zaf: to encourage you driving Montreal, I will allow a SF4 side tourney : ) This will occur on a couple TVs (since those matches are quick in and out) and will be a straight bracket, $5 entry. I hope to have a good number of entrants for this event (hoping for 20+).
Staff for SF4 event: Danny

-Brawl+ side tourney. Given that we have extra time, a straight bracket, $2 entry fee Brawl+ side tourney will be run

I AM HOPING FOR 15-20 BRAWL SETUPS, THE MORE WE HAVE THE MORE TIME WE HAVE FOR SIDE EVENTS

Staff:
Mikey
Nickcam
(assumes Minus since he always helps out )

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Sign me up as a Smash64 volunteer.

Wait, someone is bringing a Smash64 setup?! Amazing.

Pho

Smash Journeyman
I'm down for Brawl and 64. I'll bring my Wii which has both.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Pikachu is hard

im going to practice n64 if theres interest in this =]

Last edited:

masterdrenin

Smash Apprentice
i wanna play smash64
i play that everyday at school (although most of my friends suck lol)
ya, pika is dumb in that game

ima TRY to come to this CYAN and JOE ;)

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Can't go anymore. Two people at my work already booked off that day, so I can't... Sorry guys.

MisaMeka

Smash Apprentice
whats this `hype page` **** why is everyone doing it. anyway mikey I am coming to this. I might not enter anything so that means I`ll focus more on running both events meaning less stress on you. Running events REALLY drains out from performance, trust meee.

Also if a combination of you, Hype and Ace dont lock up top 5 spots one of you three will being getting the boot out from Sauga. Courtesy of me.

Sauga is one of the best regions in Brawl in Southern Ontario, if not the best. :) eat **** niko. heartniko.

Edit: Dear TOJoe, I got your prize. My **** would be a better prize, but I think it`d smell and stuff so your prize is a Baraka action figure (its the guy from mortal kombat with the land needleswordthingies) and some gay *** ****ing street fighter trading card game. Ambrose`s prize was NOT cash btw.

Top Bottom