• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quantum Mechanics: Fact or Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Let me start by saying that Quantum Mechanics is currently a scientific theory, that does not have enough evidence in either direction to be proven as true fact or fiction.

That said, it is still debatable as to whether or not we should continue to pursue the study of Quantum Mechanics. Some of you may already be informed as to what Quantum Mechanics is, but for those who aren't, try reading the article in this link:

http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Quantum%20mechanics.htm

My Opinion (Reasons to pursue Quantum Theory):

I believe that quantum mechanics is a valid theory, and should continue to be pursued for several reasons. Obviously the promises of understanding quantum mechanics are lofty, with quantum computers that would be able to compute with exponentially more processing power than ordinary computers; this would be to an extent that integer factoring (the process for finding new prime numbers, as well as the basis for many cryptographic security systems in use today) would become extremely easy.

Quantum teleportation (not what you think), is the theory that at a quantum level, two particles may be connected to one another through some currently unknown force. These two particles could be on opposite sides of the universe, or right next to each other, but in either case, information could be sent between them instantaneously (or rather an exact copy of the information). By understanding this phenomenon, we could utilize it for secure and immediate information transfer. This is only a rough explanation, here is a full article on Quantum Teleportation:

http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

Quantum Mechanics is the only theory to date that can adequately describe the behavior of subatomic particles (electrons, protons, neutrons, etc...). Also, quantum mechanics supports and influences String Theory (link: http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/Outreach/What_We_Research/Superstring_Theory/) as well as the multiverse hypothesis (link: http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/31860)

The Other Argument (Reasons to abandon Quantum Theory):

The main problem with Quantum Theory is that it contradicts Einstein's theory of relativity, which has been proven in many ways (link: http://publicliterature.org/books/relativity/xaa.php). Scientists and mathematicians have not yet even come close to finding a way to link the two theories. Since relativity is more clearly visible and understandable in our modern world, it can be argued that if one theory must be abolished, it should be quantum theory.

Quantum Mechanics also contradicts or disagrees with many other scientific theories, which I will not get into in too much detail since it is not my argument.

So in summary, my question is this:

Is it worth continuing to study and try to understand Quantum Mechanics (in other words, do you believe it is a fact that has yet to be proven)? Or should we abandon it and put more resources into the pursuit of less perplexing and possibly dead-ended theories (in other words, is it fiction that just happens to fit some scenarios)?

Let's debate.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think before this thread goes any further, there needs to be a clear distinction between a scientific "theory" and a scientific "hypothesis".

Once you look into the difference between these in regard to science you'll better understand why quantum mechanics isn't "just a theory". Quantum mechanics is far from just being theoretical (like many specialized fields of physics); it deals with matter on a fundamental level. Ever heard of reductionism?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
]Once you look into the difference between these in regard to science you'll better understand why quantum mechanics isn't "just a theory".
I'm confused, do you mean to say that quantum mechanics is only a hypothesis? By saying that it isn't just a theory, you imply that it is more than a theory, or beyond what a theory is. A theory is what a hypothesis becomes once research has been done and it has been deemed credible to a reasonable extent. I don't believe that quantum mechanics could possibly be more than a theory at this point, although if you meant that it is still only a hypothesis, then yes, I could agree with that.

Ever heard of reductionism?
Yes, and that is exactly what makes quantum mechanics hard to understand and study, because it deals with the fundamentals of everything. I guess the main issue then is the conflict between relativity and quantum mechanics. So far, the two contradict each other with no real way to connect them. The problem is that both can be used to explain various phenomenon, although relativity has been proven much more heavily.

So then can they both exist side by side? Obviously there still could be some link between them that we cannot see yet, but as it stands, it appears that one is false, while the other is true. Could it be just coincidence then, that the formulas behind either of these theories (or hypotheses as it may be), just happen to describe how our world works?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) General Relativity has not been "proven".

2) No scientific theory can be "proven".

But more importantly, QM is really.... REALLY accurate. There has yet to be a prediction made by QM that hasn't turned up precisely true. Research in QM has produced the semiconductor, the superconductor, and pretty much everything that any electronic device runs on.

It's not some far out theory that has no purpose. It has single handedly caused the information age revolution.

...so yea. Why would we even debate ceasing research into it?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
1) General Relativity has not been "proven".

2) No scientific theory can be "proven".
You're right, proven was the wrong word to use. I meant that there are many more examples of how relativity affects everyday life, and relativity is also easier to grasp than quantum mechanics.

...so yea. Why would we even debate ceasing research into it?
I figured some people may want to, and I enjoy discussion about quantum mechanics, but I guess if everyone here is on the same page, then there is nothing to debate. In that case, might as well close the thread.

RDK

Smash Hero
I'm confused, do you mean to say that quantum mechanics is only a hypothesis? By saying that it isn't just a theory, you imply that it is more than a theory, or beyond what a theory is. A theory is what a hypothesis becomes once research has been done and it has been deemed credible to a reasonable extent. I don't believe that quantum mechanics could possibly be more than a theory at this point, although if you meant that it is still only a hypothesis, then yes, I could agree with that.
I don't think you're understanding.

Yes, quantum mechanics is a theory. But to brush it aside as just a theory solely on the basis that it is a theory is ridiculous. The word has a different meaning in science than it does in casual conversation. It is a tightly knit body of information designed to explain observations.

In any case, Alt's already explained why QM is fundamental to understanding our universe, and I know very little about any field of physics (I'm a biologist as it were), so I won't beat a dead horse.

Also, I would like to point out that--outside of mathematics--nothing can be "proven" 100%. The scientific method doesn't deal with proof per se, just certainty. Which is why we can be confidently certain of some things and not so certain about others. It's all a matter of degrees, which is determined by evidence (amount, believability, etc.).

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I don't think you're understanding.

Yes, quantum mechanics is a theory. But to brush it aside as just a theory solely on the basis that it is a theory is ridiculous. The word has a different meaning in science than it does in casual conversation. It is a tightly knit body of information designed to explain observations.

In any case, Alt's already explained why QM is fundamental to understanding our universe, and I know very little about any field of physics (I'm a biologist as it were), so I won't beat a dead horse.

Also, I would like to point out that--outside of mathematics--nothing can be "proven" 100%. The scientific method doesn't deal with proof per se, just certainty. Which is why we can be confidently certain of some things and not so certain about others. It's all a matter of degrees, which is determined by evidence (amount, believability, etc.).
I think I understand where you're coming from now. So a theory in science (since nothing can be absolutely proven) is as valid as any hypothesis will ever become. Quantum Theory should not be referred to as 'just a theory' since a scientific theory is more important and has more significance than what the common use of the word 'theory' would imply.

I was aware of and do agree with your last paragraph, but as for the theories, I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, since I have not taken any further sciences myself. I have done some personal research on certain aspects of physics and astronomy, but as far as the scientific method goes, I still have a bit to learn it seems.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think I understand where you're coming from now. So a theory in science (since nothing can be absolutely proven) is as valid as any hypothesis will ever become. Quantum Theory should not be referred to as 'just a theory' since a scientific theory is more important and has more significance than what the common use of the word 'theory' would imply.
Yes, you have it now. :)

I was aware of and do agree with your last paragraph, but as for the theories, I apologize for my ignorance on the subject, since I have not taken any further sciences myself. I have done some personal research on certain aspects of physics and astronomy, but as far as the scientific method goes, I still have a bit to learn it seems.
No problem. We're all here to learn from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom