• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion: Fair

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Although it's slow, it's a pretty good attack. I'm found out that retreating f-airs are effective on aggressive opponents. Using Yoshi's f-air on grounded enemies is pretty nice because they'll pop up into the air, and you can finish them off with u-air or n-air.

F-air is a great way to gimp the Space Animals since they have high falling speeds, and finishing off an opponent with a f-air after a grab-release is very satisfying. I just wish it didn't have to be sweetspotted, like in SSBM.

Metatitan

Smash Master
probly one of yoshies worst moves. u may be thinking, but it was his best in melee so y is it so bad now? well it has great combo potential and is an amazing finisher, a spike. So whats so bad about that? well its range is pathetic, the lag for it to come out is extreme and (im not sure on this) but i think its priority is low. it doesnt autocancel so its only useful for the occasional spike.

IMO, his 4th worst move, after dair, dash attack and egg roll

Depster

Smash Champion
No, priority is fairly high I'm pretty sure. You do silly things with it like beat out every space animal's way of recovering.

I don't think it's that bad of an attack though, because the timing is pretty easy when you're trying to spike someone if you're used to it. It's pretty powerful unsweetspotted, and I find that sometimes characters that try to follow up a grab will eat a fair if you DI the throw away from them.

Metatitan

Smash Master
its a terrible approach, so ez to punish. the space animals' recoveries get interrupted by a lot of things, its not so much that fair has high priority as that their recoveries just have **** priority

Chaco

Never Logs In
Fair is a horrid approach, but one of my best moves.

-When the opponent is to close to the ledge while we are recovering, rising fair them into the stage. They bounce up without control. Go up for the Uair kill. Raape.

-To make offstage spikes easier, go lower than your opponent so they think they are safe and then rising Fair for the spike. It takes some practise to get the timing completely down. But it's worth it.

-Mi**** fairs are your friends sometimes. So, occasionally I'll try for one of those since they have freakish knocback. A good GTFO thing.

-At low percents while they are standing on the stage, Fair them down into the stage they'll bounce barely and land on the stage. Short throw an egg behind them and Dtilt. Dtilt knocks them into the egg, which stuns them for your dash attack. Always has worked well when I pull it off.

Chaco

Never Logs In
True, but watch one of Bwett's vids against Dojo.

Meta you've been 1 upped.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Still, it worked. And a lot of the Yoshies aren't as good as bwett was 5 months ago.

Airborne

Smash Lord
yeah dojo got exponentially better without any early signs... maybe it would work on better players if you correctly predict them airdodging and end up initiating the attack as soon as they airdodge. =\

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I like to use it to punish spot dodges.

By the way can someone explain to me when this move spikes and when it sends them up and away? I can't seem to figure it out=/

Gindler

Smash Champion
Well.......I use it to spike obviously

Since this move alters yoshi's body a bit you can kinda dodge and punish with this move (it does happen I've done it on MKs Uair a few times and peaches crown). Using it out of tumble is fun too since it looks the same.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Underrated. When your opponent is recovering, you can do a rising full jump fair safely. If he air dodges, you get to up air him right after.

bigman40

Smash Master

By the way can someone explain to me when this move spikes and when it sends them up and away? I can't seem to figure it out=/
It's kinda wierd. You have to pretty much tip it (lol marth xD) to get it to spike. Any other time will just give you the non-sweetspotted one.

About this move. If you have spotdodge happy people, you can get this move to work quite well. When I used it alot, It was mainly like Ike's Fair. This gave the opportunity to punish quite well. Also, if you space it well enough, you can't get punished for using it (they can't shieldgrab except for D3).

auroreon

Smash Ace

From by experience the spike is achieved by being slightly higher than them, Im pretty sure horizontal potsitioning has nothing to do with it as I get spikes with the disjointed hitboxes on the end of his nose.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The move can spike whenever the active frames are out, but you have to sweet-spot it on his nose. Even during the first couple of frames (when Yoshi is moving his head horizontally) it can spike as long as you sweet-spot it (that would of course mean the the opponent is slightly above you).

Airborne

Smash Lord
meta, this is more directed to ALL of your moveset threads, but do you have a thread that has all of the move threads linked? and once we basically get the gist of each move, can you try to summarize each move by a collaboration of what everyone says in order for people to be able and learn what the purpose of each move and everything else associated with it? i wanna use your threads for the blueprints of my "moveset vid" for the tut series. don't worry; i'll cite you and the yosh's! =P

btw: taking a hiatus from brawl for a while to get settled with school, trumpet, and "lovelife", you could say... sorry about the random departing statement on the yoshi chat. =\

Metatitan

Smash Master
if someone can give me the links to all the moveset discussions (since some are just floating in the forgotten threads of the yoshi boards) then ill be happy to make a thread linking to all discussions and including a summary for each move

Chaco

Never Logs In
That's where "View all threads by Metatitan" comes in handy. ;D

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
I'd have to agree with that. Out of the four directions, it seems like the coolest-looking KOs are the ones that knock a character downwards.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
It's too bad that Yoshi's spike is so weak, though. Sure, it looks like it is powerful, but it won't KO a smart opponent even at 100% if they know what they are doing. =/

auroreon

Smash Ace
It's too bad that Yoshi's spike is so weak, though. Sure, it looks like it is powerful, but it won't KO a smart opponent even at 100% if they know what they are doing. =/
Depends what character they are using.

On the subject of spiking...
A problem that I see some less experienced Yoshis having is that they go for the spike far too often when they shouldn't, just because when you pull it off it doesn look cool. Fair IS Yoshis worst aerial and against an opponant who knows what they are doing it becomes EXTREMELY difficult to pull off a spike with it. I think really it shouldn't be used all that much, looking cool has no effect on the outcome of the match... wanna look cool? Win matches.

Airborne

Smash Lord
i agree to the most part auroreon, except when you said fair is his worst aerial. personally, i think dair is worse b/c of the ending lag, and a well-performed retreating fair helps with your spacing. i like to think of it as ike's fair for uses, except it can be followed up if sweetspotted on stage. =P

Metatitan

Smash Master
i think dair is better, it really ***** fatties while fair becomes increasingly difficult to land at a high level of competitive play

bigman40

Smash Master
i think dair is better, it really ***** fatties while fair becomes increasingly difficult to land at a high level of competitive play
Not really. I've actually had Fair work for me in some scenarios when Dair wouldn't be the right choice. They normally have to pay attention quite hard, or else they'll get hit at the wrong time. Also, Fair's range can work out to trade quite a few characters if you're spacing (like you always should be doing). Dair is most like rushing down to them so they can't stop it quickly enough.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
fair is better. Dair is a bit too situational for me.

I only dair when returning from the ledge, when my opponent is on a platform (and I'm under it), and to spike some characters.

I'm not too big on dairing onstage, I'd do it every so often against big characters like DK but I wouldn't try it on Dedede. Against Dedede you should use moves that can be spaced, the last think you'd want is to get close enough for him to chaingrab you.

Metatitan

Smash Master
fair is better. Dair is a bit too situational for me.

I only dair when returning from the ledge, when my opponent is on a platform (and I'm under it), and to spike some characters.

I'm not too big on dairing onstage, I'd do it every so often against big characters like DK but I wouldn't try it on Dedede. Against Dedede you should use moves that can be spaced, the last think you'd want is to get close enough for him to chaingrab you.
and fair isnt situational? fair is pretty much used as an attempt to eat a spotdodge or airdodge and get a lucky spike. dair can be full hopped as an approach (not reliable but it can be occasionally) and can be used to gimp and recover from the ledge. what is so great with fair that all you people see?

D

Deleted member

Fair has like no after lag in the air. This basically makes it very safe if you time it, and can be used as a fake out cuz the uair comes right after. On the ground, situationally it can be used out of a retreating short hop cuz its got a big hitbox and not too much landing lag, just as a mixup. Its a scary move to get hit with, 16 damage and sets up for too much.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Cant Fair set-up for a perfect Fsmash?

at Higher percents, is it possible to even charge fsmash for a moment?

Metatitan

Smash Master
Fair sucks, like its only good to punish and bring out airdodges to up air. Fair only works when your opponent has made a mistake.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Fair sucks, like its only good to punish and bring out airdodges to up air. Fair only works when your opponent has made a mistake.
I may not be Fairs biggest fan, but it doesn't suck. The Fair is just very difficult to pull off against good players, it requires excellent spacing and prediction.
Use it wisely and sparingly and it can be pretty useful sometimes.

Top Bottom