• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion: Egg Lay

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Egg lay is a great technique to use against opponents who love to shield and/or counter, and it's the Space Animals' worst nightmare since this attack could easily gimp them offstage. 7% isn't alot, but it adds up quickly if you like to abuse this attack. This attack could really annoy aggresive players.

The egg lay cancel would be an extremely useful technique if there was a way to do it any time we want...

Metatitan

Smash Master
Egg lay: probably one of yoshies top 3 moves. one of the few moves in the game with a grab-like priority that can be used in the air. It does 7% and when u hit them in the egg shell, half the damage is dealt- wait a minute, why is it so good? using the double jump cancel egg lay, yoshi can really do extreme mindgames so that an opponent really doesnt know when a bair, rising nair, or egg lay is coming. its also great to be used like samus' zair at the start of a match on battlefield, running off the platform and egg laying. it can even be used for a pseudo counter move. who cares that it doesnt do 25% damage, 13% (if u hit the uair after) is still pretty good considering how good egg lay is everywhere else

Chaco

Never Logs In
I like edge guarding with egg lay, and using it to control my returns to the stage. Recover high, but egg lay during to fake them out.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
Love this move, good against shields and good for annoying people

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I actually like Egg Lay now. It is SO effective against big characters (particularly Bowser), and it is easy to get people into it.

Airborne

Smash Lord
too good against characters and people that are predicting we are approaching with bair, and are going to counter that by shielding... turn that ***** around and egg lay them with your mystic abilities to change direction. you don't even have to DJC!

found this especially useful on marth and D3

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Hey,. so what DO we know on the Egg lay cancel that gimps characters? I'm sure you guys have explored it like crazy but I want to know what you guys determined so far. Are the requirements the same for a regular grab cancel? (Must be spaced as a tipper and the opponent has to press A on the first frame to break out? That's how regular grab breaks work.

(I secretly brought this up to bump the thread and show more people my amazing joke)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Technically you cannot link egg lays as inescapable. It just won't happen.

You can however do an ELF infinite, but it is the MOST impractical Yoshi thing ever. It gives 1% per fake, and without doing an attack after that and just linking it....is near worthless.

Cliche-Guevara

Smash Cadet
As far as I know it is only spacing dependent.

And this move is good, but the 50% damage people take while in teh egg bothers me.

EDIT: I assume you are talking about the fake egg lay, as you can use it to drag people off the age without giving them the jump when they break out of the egg. Actuallky won a MM this way, ill see if I can get a vid up of it later lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Really, when you drag them off the edge they don't get a jump? o_O

bigman40

Smash Master
Hey,. so what DO we know on the Egg lay cancel that gimps characters? I'm sure you guys have explored it like crazy but I want to know what you guys determined so far. Are the requirements the same for a regular grab cancel? (Must be spaced as a tipper and the opponent has to press A on the first frame to break out? That's how regular grab breaks work.

(I secretly brought this up to bump the thread and show more people my amazing joke)
ELF, hasn't truly been explored as of yet. Known as of now, Yoshi has about 30 frames to react before the opponent can do anything (Free Fsmash anyone?). The way it works is when the tongue begins to retract (the first frame), it can latch on the opponent and you won't eat him/her.

Really, this is not just a spacing problem, but a factor that includes timing to a high degree.

Scala

Smash Ace
Yea this is old, but do we have a list of all the cool shiz we can do with egg lay now? Where might that be

auroreon

Smash Ace
ELF, hasn't truly been explored as of yet. Known as of now, Yoshi has about 30 frames to react before the opponent can do anything (Free Fsmash anyone?). The way it works is when the tongue begins to retract (the first frame), it can latch on the opponent and you won't eat him/her.

Really, this is not just a spacing problem, but a factor that includes timing to a high degree.
Thanks a lot for that info Scatz, ur deffinatly sure that is how it works?
Now that I actually know what causes it I'm going to do a lot of experimenting with it.

Top Bottom