• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion: Ground Pound

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
His ground pound from the ground is great, but it's risky if there are platforms in the way. It's laggy at the end, but at least the stars are there to protect you a little bit. Most of the characters get hit by both parts of the grounded version, but some of the lighter and/or small characters might be able to escape after getting hit by the first part.

It's cool how Yoshi grabs the ledge automatically when doing a ground pound near it. I just wish he could grab it regardless of which direction he's facing. That would be awesome.

Metatitan

Smash Master
2nd most reliable kill move (i dont include upsmash cuz its so good its probly gonna be stale by now), jab cancel to ground pound is a great set up. it kills early, u can use it after a spotdodge and it brings ur opponent up with u. the stars are also nice if u miss. u can use it to cancel ur double jump while recovering so u grab the ledge. u can use it to pseudoplank, and u can use it to come down and grab the ledge. rarely use this over the stage in the air

Depster

Smash Champion
Too bad it was way nerfed from the previous smash games...

sometimes you can get a surprise KO in with it, but it really is pretty hard to set up a kill with it...

bigman40

Smash Master
I'm posting this because I don't think ANYONE has thought about using it as a tech chase. Since DownB can pick up people off the ground, you can use this when your opponent tumbles onto the ground before you could do what you wanted. This adds to the amount of tech chasing that we can do, and if they think staying on the ground will help them get any breathing room, we'll either get a free 19% or a kill.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I've never thought of that.

But sometimes I like to use DJC Ground Pound for an edge guard. Dunno, why just mixes things up.

bigman40

Smash Master
scatz i'm a bit confused. can you set up a scenario please?
say that you're doing an attack, and you wanted to follow up with it, but the opponent lands on the ground (on their back/face) before you could get there. From this spot, if you they to continue following up, they can use the getup options to disrupt you. This is where I'm applying this. Use DownB when this happens, and you'll still get momentum even when things don't go completely as planned.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm posting this because I don't think ANYONE has thought about using it as a tech chase. Since DownB can pick up people off the ground, you can use this when your opponent tumbles onto the ground before you could do what you wanted. This adds to the amount of tech chasing that we can do, and if they think staying on the ground will help them get any breathing room, we'll either get a free 19% or a kill.
WOW THATS FREAKIN AMAZING IDEA!! I should do this.

bigman40

Smash Master
What do you guys feel about DownB'ing the slopes on Yoshi's Island for mindgames?

Edit: and I'm not talking about the down b stall
I haven't been interested in DownBing slopes lately, but I know that if you can setup your opponent at the right spot, then you can normally follow up with a Nair or Uair.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Down Throw> Ground Pound> KO is a decent tactic.

But, it's excellent for catching your opponents off guard. Especially on the ground.

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Wow, that's a very good idea. I'll have to start doing that.

Top Bottom