• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion: Egg Roll

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
I mostly use it for retreating purposes and spacing. Also, it's actually *gasp* useful against certain characters since the egg roll can cancel out some of their attacks. This is an old video, but it showcases some of the attacks that can be cancelled by Yoshi's egg roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5gtD0nD_M

Honestly, this attack shouldn't put Yoshi in the helpless state at all. It's not powerful and you can't use it for recovery purposes, so what gives? If there's another SSB game, then this attack should either receive a useful buff or get replaced with another attack.

JOE!

Smash Hero
If you short hop-> egg roll, its surprising what the bouncing egg goes through.....Im not sure but I think i wnet past a Samus Charge Shot doing that once...

Metatitan

Smash Master
mabey it can be used on delfino or that ledge getup thats really hard to do that dstycube found, its worthless aside from that, his worst move, its complete garbage

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
It's pretty useful in crew battles when you wnat to kill yourself as quickly as possible. Just kidding. It hits people sometimes, because they don't expect it. For example you can cean up waddle dee's and recahrge some moves by hitting them over and over with this. It has some uses once in awhile but isn't anything reliable.

I like how it cancel attacks...tonight I was using it and it would cancel out ZSS"s SIDE B, then i'd quickly react with a grab.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Egg Roll is great. It's an awesome panic move and is actually pretty clutch in some matchups.

The move has great priority and speed and is pretty obnoxious even for people who have seen it before. If you know how to be annoying with this move, it's a great addition to your back pocket and is pretty useful overall.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Fwiw, it egg roll can kill people at really high percents. I think I've killed Marth at somewhere from 180-200%.

I played Sonic main a couple weekends ago, and at one point when he (or someone else we were playing with) was dropping back down to the stage, I, instead of egg tossing, accidentally egg rolled and hit him just as he was landing. He thought I did it intentionally, as he saw it as similar to using Sonic's dash attack to punish landing. I had mostly forgotten about it until I saw this topic, so I haven't really experimented with it, but maybe it can be used that way. Obviously, you can punish landing lag with other moves, like dash attack or upsmash, but if egg roll proves usable in this regard, you can keep those moves fresh (more important for upsmash, since it's one of Yoshi's best kill moves)

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
Whenever I'm about to do the Egg Roll , I ask "Whats for lunch?" before doing the Egg Roll and yelling out "EGG ROLL!"

It can kill at really high percentages, its pretty satisfying if you get away with it.

Using it at full speed straight out of the box is handy to do as well, where you hold the oppisite direction to what you want to Egg Roll, then change direction just as you do it...theres probably an easier ad better way to explain it than that. :ohwell:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
its too punishable a move to be useful, when i use peach vs yoshi i love having the free 54% combo
Why are you using Egg Roll against Peach LOL

It's not a bad move but it's not a great move either. It's good if used sparingly and if the opponent doesn't expect it. Also, it can be used to retreat, although I find that pointless as Yoshi is one of the faster chars of the game and he has a great pivot grab.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Why are you using Egg Roll against Peach LOL

It's not a bad move but it's not a great move either. It's good if used sparingly and if the opponent doesn't expect it. Also, it can be used to retreat, although I find that pointless as Yoshi is one of the faster chars of the game and he has a great pivot grab.
actually i never use the move, i use peach too u know lol. and using it from time to time is okay, but its his worst move, even dash attack is better (not by much)

Metatitan

Smash Master
dash attack is a horrible horrible move. u may end up using it legitly once every 10 matches or so? and i main yoshi, i quit jiggs and main her in brawl+, and i second samus and peach. thats not that much is it? lol

Airborne

Smash Lord
i love egg roll, but for primarily only one reason. say your opponent has just knocked you into the air and is attempting to predict your next move. they've mentally calculated how long it will take you to land or to get in their range. well, egg roll stops all of your momentum for just a second and gives you super armor or invincibility (don't remember which one... =\), but will also knock your opponent into the air a little for 4%, giving you enough time to get away and reset your stage position with the opponent. it helps if your facing a tether grabbing opponent, seeing as that they can easily grab you if you try to airdodge right above the ground. =P

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, it's a great reset move, especially if you're in a corner. I <3 this move lots.

Depster

Smash Champion
Meta, you down both attacks way too much.

But yeah like with DJ Cat, the Lag Canceled Roll, used by initiating the move going the opposite way and slamming the stick back, is actually pretty useful if you want a quick surprise, considering you are at full speed instantly and will normally either make it past a shield or hit the person. And Egg drop ftw, though it's hard to get it in most times...

auroreon

Smash Ace
I actually never intentially use this move, if the opponant gets hit by it then they made a mistake... I can see its uses but really I can't see a time when this is going to be a better option than anything else Yoshi can do.
Lag canceled roll can sometimes supprise an enemy and it does do more knockback than one would expect, but ussually you will just get punished for it.
The best real uses I see for it is covering distance quickly... Its also one of the only moves to completely cancel all momentum, so it allows Yoshi to survive on a REDICULESS percentage if you can pull it off fast enough after the Uair... but it probably still isn't worth doing as the egg pretty much just drops straight down so you have to break out and even then you barely cover any horizontal distance and you just going to get killed coming back to the stage anyway.

Makai369

Smash Rookie
i was messing with dragonic reverse and i found that if you DJC into egg roll, you go at full speed instantly

.Marik

is a social misfit
Meta, Egg Roll is a lot better than you give it credit for.

It ***** Olimar's Pikmin, just don't get grabbed. It's also good for a surprise attack, should rack up some decent damage.

Metatitan

Smash Master

It ***** Olimar's Pikmin, just don't get grabbed. It's also good for a surprise attack, should rack up some decent damage.
No it really is terrible. I'm sry but you're just wrong, why would you use this on olimar? His grab range makes it all the more NOT to use this (unless you use it correctly of course and his pikmin have lagged behind). It can't wrack damage up easily on opponents who have seen the attack, it has far too much lag at the end to do that. We've already mentioned it's a surprise attack and an option from the ledge but using this on olimar makes about as much sense as using it on jigglypuff (if you havent seen my video, i rest an egg roll).

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice

egg roll doesnt affect oli match up at all tho, and it should be a move where u predict how ur opponent will land as there many laggy dair and it ususally not the first action to fair or bair and if he air dodges nothing happens (it shouldnt be used if ur opponent stays on the ground)

Metatitan

Smash Master
The move is about as consistent, mabey less consistent than jigglypuff's rollout. So yeah, use it in teams if you want, you won't get away with it much in 1 on 1's.

Airborne

Smash Lord
egg roll really is a bad move due to how situational it is. the only time you're really able to pull something successful with it is as a GTFO move, whether it be from aerial or ground state. the thing about using it as a GTFO move is that you can only use it every once in a while, kinda like rising fair when returning to the stage; do it once, and the opponent will most likely expect it coming around very soon.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Egg roll beats nado and drill at full speed.

Hope I don't get flamed for bumping dead topic...

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
This move is decent...

To be honest, it hits people more than it should (at least when I use it).

There's no excuse for it hitting as much as it does, but for some reason it just does : / I'll agree that it shouldn't be used sometimes, but seriously... it works for some reason : /

People just don't expect it I guess? /shrug

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
You can tell that this game was designed with FFAs in mind by seeing the sort of moves it contains.

In teams, this move isn't too bad. But in 1 vs 1, it plain sucks. I never use it intentionally. IT has poor priority so that basically anything can clash with it, it's easy to see coming and avoid, and unlike Rollout it doesn't have high killing power either. All in all, in terms of 1 vs 1 fights, this move is crap. About the only use for it is that your opponent may be shcoked that you use it and you can get a free hit. Maybe.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
egg roll works for me 1 out of 5 times, it's easily punished, I use it to mindgame my opponent lol, for example on smashville i use egg roll to fall on the floating plataform and get back on the stage, it can also be used to reduce momentum lol like g3w bucket, but most of the times u will just SD yourself it worked for me on cps

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
its a move and can be used, in special circumstanses. this move shouldnt be used on a grounded opponent especially from a distance, a well timed grab beats it each time. use it to hit airboune opponents. u can walk and in one direction and use egg roll in the other.

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
I only have 3 uses for it myself:
1. Cover ground at high speed.
2. Loose momentium when flying straight upward (rare case)
3. Once I rolled off the stage just to hit someone that was about to die anyway and I had more lives, didn't serve any purpose besides screaming "EGG ROLL'D B**CH LOLOLOL", at the guy I did it to. But it was satisfying.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Using EggRoll as a momentum stopper isn't very helpful anyways because if you were at the point where you needed it, you'd just die as you fall back down. You're extremely vulnerable while falling from an Egg Roll.

Also, as Hades said, it beats MK's Nado and Drill. That's just too good.

Y05H!

Smash Cadet
Using EggRoll as a momentum stopper isn't very helpful anyways because if you were at the point where you needed it, you'd just die as you fall back down. You're extremely vulnerable while falling from an Egg Roll.

Also, as Hades said, it beats MK's Nado and Drill. That's just too good.
Like I said, rare case. I'll do it when I know I'm gonna die anyway, then say a Hail Mary on my way down.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I did some testing with Disco Shark.

Egg Roll can...

Clank with Rollout

Clank with Sonic's Spin Dashes. If you hit the hop of his >B you trade hits, but Egg Roll's is stronger. Jab after the clank is safe. If he shields, you won't get shield grabbed. If he jabs, you both clank again.

Clank with parts of the PK Kids' PKT2's, but it's really tricky. I wouldn't try it, personally.

Beat Fox's Illusion and Firefox. Firefox will occasionally clank, though if you jab you'll be safe.

Beat Falco's Phantasm and Fire Bird. Same as Fox, you can't even be shield grabbed out of the jab after clank.

Beats Wolf's Up B, though it occasionally clanks. If it clanks, the Wolf can jab you before you can him.

UberMario

Smash Master

Uses:

Egg Braking
Speed
Shield Braking
Breakdancing

If you pull in the opposite direction right after unleashing Egg Roll, you'll stay in place. I find this usefull if you're right on top of the opponent.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm finding it's got use in certain match-ups. Against MK you can egg roll his tornado if he's been retreating away from pivot grabs. The grab would always be the better option, but the Egg Roll would hit him regardless, making Nado unsafe. It clanks with Sonic's spindashes, which makes it a good option when fighting Sonic since it takes away that aspect of his game. It consistently beats Space Furry specials, though I believe a grab would always be more practical in an actual match.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
This move is very underrated. Egg roll's priority depends on its speed. At full speed roll it has good priority. It will cancel with Luca's pk thunder 2, Samus and Lucario fully charged shot and with most non invencible smashes.

I play with people that are quite proficient in this game. And egg roll is effective. It is a surprise move. It's obviously a lot better in multiplayer matches. The trick is to get to your opponent with full speed in a short amount of time. If you do it unexpectedly, and your opponent was doing something else at the moment (jumping, hitting, rolling) you have good chance to hit him.

When you surprise them they will usually want to hit you out of the egg. If they don't get a very good priority hitbox exactly where you are at that moment, they will be hit.

Sometimes they block and you can pass over them and roll back and reach top speed the same way, or maybe you don't get top speed but you are close enough so he cannot get a good hit box to punish. They will try to hit you but you can get them after they have dropped their shields and before the hitbox is out.

With practice you will get better at controlling your roll to do some shield pressure and tempt your enemy into punishing you.

They often ended up jumping into a platform, to avoid facing my egg roll. And having people on platforms is good for Yoshi ( his aerials ****, and egg throw can help too) .

Or they used characters with counters to face my egg roll, I would roll and then calculate a good distance to roll back and not get countered (and apply some mind games after that).

Even with counters I was able to hit them when I surprised them. I think it is a good practice to use egg roll when your opponent is in the air (much better if he is because you just hit him).

I often hit them multiple times at low percentages. They are sent up and I chase them as they fall. And I repeat, they are no noobs at this game. And it CAN be used even on 1 vs 1.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
At lower percents you can hit someone and keep turning back and forth to juggle them for a good 20%. I love watching them get tosses around by egg roll. :laugh:

Top Bottom