• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uthrow-uair: Know when to use it!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
:(

After having an extremely close set with Vwins recently, and getting naired out of uthrow->uair numerous times...I needed to know the truth. Unknown522 and KirbyKaze tested it out, with Peach d.i.ing in many different ways. She can always either trade or nair out. If you ever do get it, its because her double jump is **** or you super space the second hit of your uair. It DOES NOT, however, combo.

Same vs. Ganon. His air mobility is terrible and when he double jumps he is virtually still in the same place, so your uair hits. He also doesn't have a fast/high priority move that hits below him (his nair sucks balls), so uthrow->uair CAN work. Again, it DOES NOT combo.

Neither of the aforementioned characters take enough hitstun from uthrow to keep them in place for the uair.

When Unknown told me this, I wanted to make a thread about it. I think it would be a good idea if we compiled a list of characters it does and does not work on. (For informational purposes/newer players)

This will make it easier for us when it comes to move selection. You might accidentally waveshine grab peach or ganon thinking its what you should be doing, when usmashing or doing an aerial would have been the better option.

Off the top of my head:

Doesn't work on

Peach
Ganon
Mario
Doc
Luigi
Samus

Discuss.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Well I know for sure it doesn't combo on Samus. It would make sense if it didn't combo the Marios either. Not sure about Gannondorf, but isn't uthrow-uair like a staple chain against Peach? I haven't really had a lot of experience playing good Gannons or Peaches, but I always thought that uthrow-uair was **** vs Peach.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Only if the Peach player doesn't know what they're doing. Uthrow - Bair works, however, from my experience.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Well I allready noticed that I have some problems hitting Ganon with Uthrow Uair (one of my main training partner mains Ganon) but even though it does not combo it works quite often and is still a good choice because you can rack up good damage with uair juggling.
Against Peach as you said it's all about spacing, don't try to uair her like other characters or you'll get nair'd. Wait a bit and space the seccond hit of the uair.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Is this assuming if the DI the throw?

Because, I know as long as DK DIs the up throw, he can Uair Fox before Fox Uairs him.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
I play good Peach and Ganon almost every day, and I can tell you now that uthrow->uair almost never works (Ganon can jump out at 0%, Peach can DI/trade). It's pretty gay.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Is this assuming if the DI the throw?

Because, I know as long as DK DIs the up throw, he can Uair Fox before Fox Uairs him.
It most definitely combos on DK. At 0%, he'll have almost no stun from the uthrow, thats why he can uair out. Over 20%-30% it combos, regardless of d.i.

I play good Peach and Ganon almost every day, and I can tell you now that uthrow->uair almost never works (Ganon can jump out at 0%, Peach can DI/trade). It's pretty gay.
When Ganon is around 60%, or maybe even less - the minor stun combined with his slow double jump will eventually fail him. It won't combo, but your uthrow will lead to the uair and he'll be trapped. lol

If Peach doesn't d.i. your uthrow, it makes it 10x easier to the land the uair. Because she is directly above you, there isn't a huge risk factor when it comes to her nair. She suffers because of her terribad mid-air jump, just like Ganon - and happily falls into your uair.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
What affects it? I'm kinda curious as to why Jiggs isn't on the list; do different characters suffer different hitstun?

Tero.

Smash Champion
You can throw uair combo jigglypuff up to like 100% (if they don't DI), I had the exact percentages somewhere on my computer but I can't find them anymore.

joeplicate

Smash Master
you have to SDI out with jiggs

oherwise it combos until about 80% (like 90% if you're perfect)

what's the limit for uthrow up airing marth?
I tried testing it out awhile ago and I was surprised that he can get out of it at like %120 if he DI's it all the way

EWC

Smash Ace
What affects it? I'm kinda curious as to why Jiggs isn't on the list; do different characters suffer different hitstun?
Every character has the same hitstun after being thrown from the same percentage. The differences are falling speed and weight. High falling speed obviously makes it easier to combo people.

Weight affects it because, the lighter a character is, the faster your throw animation is, and the faster you can act. That's why, for example, you can do it do jiggs but not samus, even though they have about the same falling speed.

Bets

Smash Journeyman
You can throw uair combo jigglypuff up to like 100% (if they don't DI), I had the exact percentages somewhere on my computer but I can't find them anymore.
Even if they don't DI, I thought it worked up until 65%. I remember reading that somewhere, but I could be wrong. I don't play jiggs enough to know.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It most definitely combos on DK. At 0%, he'll have almost no stun from the uthrow, thats why he can uair out. Over 20%-30% it combos, regardless of d.i.
For some reason, I thought it didn't combo DK. A while back, Umbreon listed DK Samus Doc Luigi and Mario as the invulnerable characters. Weird.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Even if they don't DI, I thought it worked up until 65%. I remember reading that somewhere, but I could be wrong. I don't play jiggs enough to know.
I'm quite sure it works up to at leas 90% without DI, I've tested it.
I play PAL though but there shouldn't be any difference.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
For some reason, I thought it didn't combo DK. A while back, Umbreon listed DK Samus Doc Luigi and Mario as the invulnerable characters. Weird.
I'm going purely on how many times I've played the match-up. In general...vs. friends, random opponents and pkmvodka. I've gotten uthrow uair way too many times for it to have been luck. But just so its all clear, I'll test it out myself anyways. I'm still pretty sure DK can't do anything about it. I haven't seen many videos where DK escapes uthrow-uair every time. : /

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if you could, raynex, test both up-airing out and up-bing out.
and djing of course.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i've known about samus for a while, its pretty gay.

samus only has 3 options really:

1) jump
2) nair
3) downb (bomb)

nair and jump both get beat by uair, but bomb doesnt. if you predict the bomb you can guess which way he will DI (left or right) and uair there. uair does combo into another uair at lower %

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
i've known about samus for a while, its pretty gay.

samus only has 3 options really:

1) jump
2) nair
3) downb (bomb)

nair and jump both get beat by uair, but bomb doesnt. if you predict the bomb you can guess which way he will DI (left or right) and uair there. uair does combo into another uair at lower %
How does nair lose to uair? lol.

I don't think i've ever seen a good samus get uthrow - uaired lol.

I do however see uthrow - spaced djbair work vs samus nair.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
dthrow to usmash... rofl...
the only time i can see that happening is
1. on a platform
2. they dont know how to tech
3. their techs are readable and consistant

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
just do b-throw shine u-smash

the one time it works you can scream and then talk to all your friends about how you got it on someone

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
hmm i just nairnairnairnairnairnairnair

i find that to be pretty effective

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I nairnairnairnairnairnairnair when I know my opponent can't CC grab very well or if I know they can't do anything OoS. Every strategy gets countered eventually ya know. ^^

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Ew. Who grabs?

Just nairshinenairshinenairshinenair. Mebbe a little drillshinewdupsmash too. GG :laugh:
Cactus...

Don't say things like that. Now we have Jman spamming nair trying to be like you and getting ***** by Darkrain. You're giving people hope STOP IT NAO

Top Bottom