• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser is a Meta Knight counter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Got your attention? Awesome! =D
I've exaggerated a bit, because it won't utterly **** Meta Knight, but here goes:

Okay, so basically, Bowser vs. Meta Knight already was even-ish before Liquid Gen discovered something recently... which I will mention later. Anyway, Bowser's metagame has grown very much during the past few months, and we - mainly Liquid Gen - have found out a lot of things that put Meta Knight into his place.

Anyway, Bowser has many possibilities to deal with Meta Knight, believe it. Before I explain why, though:
Bowser is not a hard counter for Meta Knight, but with the stuff mentioned in this thread, he most likely will have an advantage on Meta Knight!

Everybody thinks Meta Knights lagless attacks would be very hard to avoid, especially with a big character... but Bowser can deal with all of them.
He has the biggest shield in the game, and, additionally, has an extremely effective Out of Shield option, if not the best of the game: his Up Special, the Whirling Fortress. The Fortress starts with invincibility frames (Frame 1-5) and ends with a useful attack you can move with. To avoid the being punished for the cooldown, Bowser can grab a ledge or just retreat far enough. These invincibility frames will deal with pretty much all of Meta Knight's lagless moves, such as the Down Smash or shorthopped Forward Aerials - additionally to his sexy shield of course.

Bowser's spacing tools are incredible. Of course, the Forward Tilt is known as one of Bowser's best moves. It comes out at frame 10 and is able to kill, just like almost every attack of Bowser. This move also has insane priority, and can be angled. Also, secondly, there's Bowser's Jab, which comes out at frame 5, thusly being a very quick jab - especially if you consider its range! It's a great spacing tool, just like the Forward Tilt - keeping the Tilt's kill abilities fresh. Since Bowser's range is huge, he is easily able to outreach Meta Knight with these moves.

Bowser also has abilities to force Meta Knight to approach with the Fire Breath, his Neutral Special. Spacing and camping with Fire will make Meta Knight come to you.

Even the Mach Tornado, one of Meta Knights most feared moves, is no problem for Bowser, due to Crawl Spacing! How does this work? If Meta Knight uses the tornado, crawl to space, and use the Bowser Bomb, the Down Special. Note that it has to be a grounded Bomb, otherwise it won't work. If used on the ground, Bowser will slap forward to knock enemies up and then leap up to fall on them. The slap knocks Meta Knight out of the Tornado. Oh, and Forward Tilt also is able to punch Meta Knight out of the Tornado, too.

This is not the only use of the Bowser Bomb, though. It also is able to deal with Shuttle Loop! How? Let's see. If Meta Knight Shuttle Loops, use the Bomb, and it will move so convenient that it will hit him in the middle of his glide. If you additionally use the technique called Ledgebombing (basically just using the Bomb just at a ledge so Bowser automatically grabs it when he passes it, thus erasing the cooldown), you are completely safe and are able to kill Meta Knight at about 80%.

Then of course... Bowser's an insanely mobile character. His aerial mobility is superior to Meta Knight's. This is due to the animation cancels on his Side Special, the Koopa Klaw. Klaw Hopping (cancelling the landing animation with Side B thusly recovering the jump) on flat stages such as Final Destination and Klaw Dropping on stages with platforms like Battlefield are boosting this mobility by far, making Bowser into an aerial force. If Meta Knight gets klawed in general, this either means a stock gone with Bowserciding the Klaw or at least free ~20% damage and possibly an early kill (since Meta Knight is rather light), and these two techniques are only more useful.

If that wasn't enough, Bowser has a Grab Release Chaingrab on Meta Knight (not only him, but pretty much all of the cast - but that's beside the point). Liquid Gen also has found out that this Grab Release can be expanded to an actual infinite. This infinite is hard to pull off, but if mastered can give Meta Knight serious trouble. It's not completely verified yet, but it is currently in testing phase.
With the help of Forced Airbreaks and Instant Pivot Grabs, Bowser is able to infinite Meta Knight.

Also, keep in mind that Bowser can easily kill Meta Knight! Meta Knight is a light character, and almost all of Bowser's move are reliable killing options (if used right). Bowser also is the heaviest character in Brawl, allowing him to survive for up to at least 150% if not further.

Bowser is not a hard counter for Meta Knight, but with the stuff mentioned in this thread, he most likely will have an advantage on Meta Knight!

There's much more stuff about Bowser you maybe want to know, so I'll give you a handy set of links for information on the King of Koopas:

Bowser Moveset Discussion by Blistering Speed: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=213135 <- contains general information on Bowser's moves such as damage, KO potential etc., it's worth to check out if you don't know much about Bowser
---
MORE POWER! A Bowser Technical and General Strategy Guide by JayDeth: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222754 <- this thread pretty much contains all information on Bowser's ATs and such, like the Klaw Hopping or the Fortress stuff, it's worth a read if you don't know what Bowser has to offer in these regards
---
Bowser's Koopa R&D: Metagame and Standard Advancement by Liquid Gen: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231071 <- this contains some more interesting stuff, for example Bowser ****** on Battlefield with his Up Smash
---
Side B Cancelling Through Platforms (Klaw Dropping) by Liquid Gen: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=229427
---
Bowser Possible Infinite on Meta Knight by Liquid Gen: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=233550

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
The matchup doesn't sound too bad from this, actually. I'd like to see some Bowsers beat MK. It'd be a sight.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
So what I wanna know is:

How is Bowser going to really force an approach? Flames only extend so far and die down after a while, not to mention MK is stupid fast (and dare I say he could use Dimensional Cape to appear on the other side and backstab?) in both ground speed and attack speed. Maybe a Glide attack but I'm not so sure about this one.

What does R&D stand for?

Otherwise everything else looks legit, I just want to know if that infinite you just mentioned can actually be replicated and guaranteed.

Oh and how about this, playing Sonic I should know about how to take advantage of any dead frames on my opponent and maximizing the punishment, what's to say that you as Bowser can't make one mistake before things go very wrong?

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Why do you write with so much bold?
Anyways, forward tilt is punishable on shield, tornado goes through fire, MK can uair Bowser out of his bomb, and what MK lacks in range, he makes up in disjointedness.
Bowser mains will need to be able to consistently perform this infinite if this matchup is to be moved into his advantage.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I hope the matchup turns out to be in Bowser's favor. It would give people a reason to use him in tourneys, even if just as a secondary to counter MK.

Nice read. =D

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So what I wanna know is:

How is Bowser going to really force an approach? Flames only extend so far and die down after a while, not to mention MK is stupid fast (and dare I say he could use Dimensional Cape to appear on the other side and backstab?) in both ground speed and attack speed. Maybe a Glide attack but I'm not so sure about this one.

What does R&D stand for?

Oh and how about this, playing Sonic I should know about how to take advantage of any dead frames on my opponent and maximizing the punishment, what's to say that you as Bowser can't make one mistake before things go very wrong?

Answer to Question 1:
Okay, so the thing about Fire Spacing is that you have to not hold the button down, to consistently spit the breath, but only pressing B like once quickly and letting out a little bit of fire.

Answer to Question 2: Research & Development

And sorry, I don't get your third question completely, mind to rephrase?

Why do you write with so much bold?
Anyways, forward tilt is punishable on shield, tornado goes through fire, MK can uair Bowser out of his bomb, and what MK lacks in range, he makes up in disjointedness.
Bowser mains will need to be able to consistently perform this infinite if this matchup is to be moved into his advantage.
It's a habit I started not too long ago. It actually is a very convenient style of writing because it seems that people take me a bit more serious with this. I only do it if I'm really serious, too, so if you don't see any bolding at all, you can assume I'm joking or something.

Forward Tilt is punishable, but Jab isn't.
Noone talked about Fire beating Tornado, or where did you get that?
The Bomb is never used in a position Meta Knight can UAir out of - where did you get that, either?
Last but not least - he may have disjointed hitboxes, but if he can't reach Bowser with them, they won't help them.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
based on my experience versin metas with bowser(im a bowser and wolf main) the only things bowser has on him is the cg.bowser is easily combo'd by mk including uair>uair>uair>uair>shuttle loop.nado also tends to wreck bowser.if it shield stabs once thats about 15-20%.mk's only problem against bowser is that he doesnt die easily which is no problem because simple dairs over the edge allow mk to gimp bowser.the matchup is 60-40 mks favor.bowser in no way has the advantage.also mk's ftilt can be the most annoying thing bowser needs to deal with.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'll believe it when it happens reliably at tournaments. Same criteria as everything else gets.

If all that's been picked up is another option when Bowser grabs MK (And he already had a pretty nice one, iirc) then I don't think it'll be enough. But, good luck to the Bowsers -- him and Yoshi are the characters I'd like to see suddenly do better, for nostalgia reasons :p

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
based on my experience versin metas with bowser(im a bowser and wolf main) the only things bowser has on him is the cg.bowser is easily combo'd by mk including uair>uair>uair>uair>shuttle loop.nado also tends to wreck bowser.if it shield stabs once thats about 15-20%.mk's only problem against bowser is that he doesnt die easily which is no problem because simple dairs over the edge allow mk to gimp bowser.the matchup is 60-40 mks favor.bowser in no way has the advantage.also mk's ftilt can be the most annoying thing bowser needs to deal with.
Read the OP.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
This post is full of lol.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Bowser grabs the ledge. ggs. Bowser can't do jack when MK is planking, and MK combos Bowser way too well for this to be even.

Any videos of a Bowser beating a good MK?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
He does not "wreck" him. As it currently stands, it isn't even 60:40.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
dude no bowser is going to like not get ***** by a nado and shuttle loop. we will punish all and every air dodge, we move with a tornado fast so you either have to time to punish or we retreat and u depleted half your shield

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would like to have people who DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BOWSER to just not post into this thread.

Inform yourselves first before posting into this thread, please.

Thank you very much.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
What does R&D stand for?
Research and development.

Anyhow, it's great to see that the Bowser boards are continuing to advance his game. I'd like to get some input from some of the better bowsers though (notably Vex and Sliq, as they are the most active). On another note, DJ Nintendo (go look him up if you don't know him) started playing some Brawl this weekend... with Bowser. I don't know how likely he is to stick with the Koopa (had a lot of trouble with diddy IIRC), but from what I saw he was fabulous. Let's all hope.

Teh_Chef

Smash Rookie
Bowser grabs the ledge. ggs. Bowser can't do jack when MK is planking, and MK combos Bowser way too well for this to be even.

...I don't think it's ever happened, but for what it's worth, Vex nearly beat M2K at CoT4 with Bowser.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'd like to get some input from some of the better bowsers though (notably Vex and Sliq, as they are the most active).
Vex doesn't play Bowser much at tournaments and Sliq has gone missing. So you'll have to deal with us. I'm sorry.

(had a lot of trouble with diddy IIRC)
No wonder, since Diddy is Bowser's hardest matchup next to the Infinite Chaingrabbers, but this thread is about Bowser vs. Meta Knight, though.

Flayl

Smash Hero
God****it Spadefox. Whatever have fun with this thread.

edit: By that I mean I'm not going to back you up.

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
I believe the matchup has been considered even-ish for a while now, and by both character boards.
Uhh us meta's still have it 60:40 Mk favor

As much as I'd like MK to have at least one counter to prevent him from being banned, I don't think bowser is is the one. Sorry.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
bowser is a good character, ive also known this for a while.
I wouldn't say he's good so much as he's underrated. If Bowser turns out to be a counterpick against MK hopefully he'll be given more respect.

Edit: @Kamikaze: Yeah, I guess even wasn't the right word, sorry. I was just trying to point out that MK doesn't "wreck" Bowser.

gallax

Smash Hero
i remember watching a guy named serge beat hrnut at gigabits with a bowser (Hrnut used MK) and it was a huge upset.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
bowser is a good character, ive also known this for a while.
Bowser is a terrible character, but funny enough he seems to do well against the best character. Ironic.

Uhh us meta's still have it 60:40 Mk favor
Which still isn't "wrecking", do you agree there?

As much as I'd like MK to have at least one counter to prevent him from being banned, I don't think bowser is is the one. Sorry.
Read the OP, please. Bowser has answers to pretty much every tactic of Meta Knight.

As for Planking...
Edit: See the post below this.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace

Beaten to some extent.

AFBA can deal with that (Aerial Fire Breath Approach), Jump, Aim next to the ledge, let the fire fly and angle it down. MK's Plank got EdgeROASTED.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What I mean is you can get baited to try and do something like an FTilt or a Bowser Bomb, and quite Frankly how much ending lag does Bowser have in his attacks (not just the ones I mentioned)? I'm sure that even if the MU isn't in anyone's slight favor (I won't say it's even or not until I know a bit more about the MU between the two) that Bowser has to work his butt off not to make any mistakes whereas MK has more freedom.

Let me put it this way. Let' say you're playing Sonic and you have some idea of how he is played (I can only hope you do), then apply Sonic with MK (and add the cheap/broken/etc.) and you just apply pressure onto Bowser to force a reaction and/or punish from there. What answer does Bowser have/how big is his window of opportunity/clearance?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I want to know a good reason why this thread is here and not the Bowser boards.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Banning Meta Knight is something that directly and universally affects tournaments regardless of player interaction. This is not.

Better reason, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom