• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Grab

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Inconspicuous Topic Title is Inconspicuous. Anyway, this is a continuation of this thread. I made a new topic so that I can post my data on the first post and so that there would be more organized discussion of it. Also so that the title wouldn't get so much non-Falco attention.

So for those who don't know, what this basically is is a standing CG Falco has on some of the cast at the edge of the stage. In the original thread, it was posted that you need to do a RBPG into the edge to do it, but that's false. The only requirement is that you grab the opponent at a certain percentage while standing as close to the ledge as possible. When you Dthrow from this position, some characters have a weird animation where they don't bounce and it looks sort of like a ground break allowing you to regrab without having to move forward.

Character: Start Percentage - End Percentage:
Fox: 0-44
Wolf: 0-44
Toon Link: 0-44
DeDeDe: 0-44
Pikachu: 8-44
Sheik: 0-37
Squirtle: 0-18; 0-27
Popo: 0-18; 0-44 *See Edit 1
Captain Falcon: 0-27
Pit: 0-18

The rest of the cast I'm pretty sure it doesn't work on, but more thorough testing should be done.

The end percentages are a close estimate. For those that end at 44, the last Dthrow will splat the opponent, meaning they just hit the floor after bouncing very low to the ground. This doesn't look like it can be teched, but I'm not sure. If it can't, then you can follow up with just about anything except for another grab. On stages where the edge is slanted upwards into the stage like this / .............\, the last Dthrow at 44ish% will lead into a laser lock.

Stages with the slanty edges:
1. Pictochat
2. Delfino Plaza*
4. Corneria**
5. Pokemon Stadium 1*** -- Grass and Fire transformations
6. Rainbow Cruise*4

EDIT/UPDATE 2:
* -- Certain transformations. The one that's just a single middle platform with a stair at the ledge and shallow pools on either side. That's the only one I know of as of now, but there might be others, particularly the beach one. Not sure about that
Island beach part only works for 2 shots. The one where it looks like Melee's Princess Peach's castle can lead to a good amount of shots.

**--Coreneria's nose ledge is slanted too much so that you can only get 3 lasers in. The tail ledge is less slanted, but the other end slants the wrong way so you can only get 2 lasers in.

***--For the Fire Transformation of PS1, if you manage to do it from the left edge of the stage, you'll laser lock them . . . into a tree! Totally ballin'.

*4--The fin of the boat on Rainbow Cruise leads to like 4 lasers or something, but it knocks them off to the lower platform on the last hit.

On the characters it works on, if you manage to grab them at the ledge after the listed end percentages, it can splat and lead into a laser lock. So even though you can't laser lock Captain Falcon at the edge from zero (by my testing at least), if you grab him at the ledge after the 37% and Dthrow, then you can laser lock away.

From what I figure, if you can't get at least 4 lasers in to force a stand up animation, don't go for the laser lock.
So yeah. Take that Pikachu.

---

Edit 1:
Red characters can be standing CG'd away from the ledge for the same amount of damage.

Squirtle can be standing CG'd away from the ledge, but I've found that you get one more throw when you're at the ledge.

Popo is weird. You can do a standing chain grab away from the ledge, but only once for a total of ~18%. It's actually a bit less, but since it's hard to kill Nana without killing Popo by yourself in vs mode, I tested Popo in training mode. For Popo, you don't buffer the grab during the Dthrow animation like the rest of the cast. Popo's animation after being Dthrown is to bounce and do a flip in the air. Typically, you can't grab characters after they bounce that high from standing. However, because Popo does a flip, his body gets just close enough to Falco for a standing regrab.

Also, when done on slanted ledges such as Pictochat, Popo doesn't seem to bounce as high, or perhaps bounces from a lower point. This allows Falco to get in more standing grabs all the way till about 44%. Popo doesn't really "splat" at this percentage though. He bounces higher rather than lower like other characters, so LL isn't as feasible on Popo as it is for others.

Thanks to Six for pointing out which characters can be standing CG'd away from the ledge.

---
I should update this and make it more organized. Suggestions?
Also, I think I might be misusing the term splat for some of the characters.
If I make videos, can somebody record them? And for serious like. I have an SD card to save the replays to if necessary.

Cross.

Smash Ace
A quick question: exactly how close to the edge does the opponent have to be? for characters who don't end with a splat do you have enough space to bpg and continue the chain grab?

six.

Smash Rookie
I don't think some of that information is right. Fox and Wolf I know you can get a standing CG on anyways. It doesn't matter if they are on the ledge or not. The only characters it works on (I think) are Pikachu, DDD, TL, diddy, and maybe popo.

Also, I know you can CG DDD up to like 80 percent with a buffered grab. I'm still working on it though, its hard.

edit* Also, the splat can be teched.

six.

Smash Rookie
It can be done very easily if you know how to CG right.

For example, DDD. He's very easy to CG since you can CG him forever. All you need to do, is CG him close to the edge, then RBPG. And now, you are ledge grabbing him.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
A quick question: exactly how close to the edge does the opponent have to be? for characters who don't end with a splat do you have enough space to bpg and continue the chain grab?
The opponent just needs to be within your grab range. You just need to position yourself so that you're at the ledge. You can just go roll into it to make sure.

---

Six . . . standing CG at the ledge is different than regular standing CGs. There's a different animation for the opponent getting knocked back at the ledge than not at the ledge.

Edit:

"Ledge Grab" is just a title I used to not grab any attention to the topic. The technique isn't actually called ledge grab. It doesn't have a name. It's just a Dthrow at the edge.

wangston

Smash Lord
Interesting... So I just get to the edge with a grab, stand there and down thrown and I don't even need to move.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Wow, I literally just found this today fighting my friends D3.

Grabbed him 3 times at the edge without moving O_o was pretty weird - but thought the Falco boards probably already knew about it.

And now they do..... <_<......>_>

EDIT:

@wangston

Yah, pretty much.

six.

Smash Rookie
Six . . . standing CG at the ledge is different than regular standing CGs. There's a different animation for the opponent getting knocked back at the ledge than not at the ledge.

Yes, I know that. But Fox, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Pit and Squirtle's animation is the exact same. You get the same amount of grabs on the edge as you do just normally standing and grabbing them.

The only characters this works on is DDD, pika, TL, diddy, and popo. DDD you can actually chain grab till 90 percentish.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Yes, I know that. But Fox, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Pit and Squirtle's animation is the exact same. You get the same amount of grabs on the edge as you do just normally standing and grabbing them.

The only characters this works on is DDD, pika, TL, diddy, and popo. DDD you can actually chain grab till 90 percentish.
Hmmm. Well, regardless of whether or not it can be done away from the ledge, the point is that it works on the ledge. So saying that it only works on DDD, Pika, TLink, Diddy and Popo wouldn't be correct either since it can still be done to Fox, Wolf, Falcon, Pit and Squirtle. It is good to know that it can be done away from the ledge for those characters though.

Also, I haven't managed to get a standing CG on Diddy at or away from the ledge.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I was playing around with it, and it turns out you could start the CG from 0-40%. But I was only trying it out on Toon Link, might change for heavier characters?

Lemme start from the beginnin' though. To be able to start the standing Chaingrab, you have to be basically hovering over the edge. Not you itself though, just your right/left leg depending on which side of the stage your on.

If you actually wanna see what I'm talking `bout, go all the way to the edge, not enough to edgehog, but right where you see one of Falco's legs floating in midair, but still looks as if it's grounded.

If you want to make sure your doing it, just go to the edge, and shield roll to it. You won't fall off, dur.

So playing around with Toon Link here's what I got.

0-40% : You can do a standing chaingrab.

41-56% : At this percent, 1 D-throw will automatically make TL go into an animation as if being spiked.

57% + : It will perfrom just like a regular D-throw. Not being able to regrab, or the anim.

Hmm; Someone should start a group made for Falco Testers?

Unless there is one? Whatever though, good **** :)

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, so this works on Pikachu too?
Well, guess whoever gets the first grab = stock. This will make Falco vs. Pikachu a lot more boring...

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Hmm, so this works on Pikachu too?
Well, guess whoever gets the first grab = stock. This will make Falco vs. Pikachu a lot more boring...
Well, Falco needs to get a bit of damage on Pikachu first, like a laser and two pummels. And it's only really evened out if it's on Pictochat or Lylat, but at least it's something. If you can manage to get Lylat as your neutral and Pictochat is allowed as your counter, then there's a better chance for you to win the match.

dawall250

Smash Journeyman
this could be pretty bad for the ddd matchup, but considering we could tech the 'splat' it might not be thaaat bad. I'm more concerned about the

Also, I know you can CG DDD up to like 80 percent with a buffered grab. I'm still working on it though, its hard.
does this mean we can get cged across the stage until about 80% or only the standing cg at the ledge? and at the final grab for that, do we still splat? I'm guessing not because splatting does stop for toon link at about 50ish%

your inconspicuous thread is not so inconspicuous

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I managed to get this off on FD on Pikachu yesterday. So gratifying.

I'm pretty sure that the chain grabbing isn't at the ledge only, but it requires more work than just going across the stage.

Top Bottom