• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snake FAQ/Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Have a question? We can help. Please make sure to check the FAQ section to see if your question has already been answered before asking your question.
Frequently Asked Questions
*I will update the FAQ as needed.

Index
  • How do I Mortar Slide/DACUS with Snake?
  • How do I wavebounce/prseudo b-stick/change my momentum with grenades/c4?
  • How do I stop a grenade in the air, AKA grenade stripping?
  • How do I fight (insert character here)?
  • How long does it take Snake's explosives to blow up?
  • How do I DI out of Snake's Nair/Dair?
^ SuSa edit... want to finish?

How do I Mortar Slide/DACUS with Snake?
Everything you ever wanted to know about Mortar Sliding is contained in T*H*O*R's "Dissertation on Snake's Dash Attack and Mortar Slide" thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162058

How do I wavebounce/pseudo b-stick/change my momentum with grenades/c4?
When moving in the air, pull a grenade/drop c4 and immediately after tap the joystick in the direction of snake's back.

*If done right, it will completely change snake's momentum to where he's moving in the opposite direction with the same speed.

How do I stop a grenade in the air, AKA grenade stripping?

To "strip" a grenade in it's tracks, simply shield drop a second grenade. No matter where the grenade is, it will lose all momentum. This also includes if the opponent is holding it- the grenade will fall from their hands and fall to the ground. Good for mind games. This can be very useful and is something that is recommended to master.

How do I fight (insert character here)?

For anything matchup related, check out the Snake's Matchup Thread first.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175515
If the character you are looking for is not there, you can request for that character to be discussed next, or you can ask here for a quick summary of the matchup.

How long does it take Snake's explosives to blow up?
Grenades- 3 seconds
C4- 26.5 seconds
Mines- Disappear after 25 seconds

How do I DI out of Snake's Nair/Dair?
To DI out of Snake's Nair, you want to SDI each of the hits diagonally up and in the opposite direction of Snake's momentum. So if snake is doing a retreating nair, you want to SDI up and away from snake, and SDI up and towards Snake for an approaching nair.

To DI out of the Dair, simply SDI the hits in the opposite direction of his momentum.

OMG, I JUST DISCOVERED A NEW AT/GLITCH!!! I WAS ABLE TO USE MY UP-B TWICE WITHOUT GETTING HIT OR TOUCHING THE GROUND!!!!
No, you did not discover this, and no it is not a glitch. You got footstooled.
Explanation: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205560

What do the controller ports do, and which one is best for Snake?
When in a grab, regardless of who did the grabbing, an explosion will send the person with the lower controller port up in the air and the person with the higher port will receive absolutely no knockback (still receives damage though). Because of these port characteristics, and because of Snake's plethora of explosives, it is highly benificial to Snake to get the higher post (AKA 4th slot).

What are my best options out of a down throw?
These will be listed in order of effectiveness/best option.

If they stand up/get up attack:
shield the get up attack then
-regrab
-ftilt/utilt

If they roll behind you:
-regrab
-ftilt/utilt
-dair/fsmash (Dair and Fsmash aren't that effective, but they payout is good if you get it. This should hardly ever be used, as you will get punished for it.)

If they roll away:
- regrab (Note that some characters roll too far away for a normal regrab, and will require a Boost grab.)
- ftilt (utilt is harder to land, due to how far some characters roll away)

napZzz

Smash Hero
shall this be the NEW q&a thread? as in we should stop posting in the other one?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yes, I'm going to get someone to sticky this one, and unsticky the old one. That way we can keep this one up-to-date with FAQs as they keep coming up and save us from all the headaches of answering the same questions over and over.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Wow, in the time it took me to write a PM requesting a sticky, SuSa had already done it. Way to be on the ball :laugh:

I'll get the quick throw up soon, along with any other questions people can think of. I plan to have the OP completely updated by tomorrow.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just in regards to the video that luke posted in the old thread, i may have an explanation of whats going on (my japanese is pretty good). cant try it out today, but will tomorrow. shall i translate it here, or do we what to keep it between snakes?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
One problem: Change the answer to "How do I win this matchup with snake" to "Camp with nades and space with ftilt."

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
@Susa: in the video he does the naritake step with characters who cant crawl, so i figured this might have been different. either way, he says the grenade trick only works a third of the time (hold nade, press down and then shield) while standing on a platform.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
One problem: Change the answer to "How do I win this matchup with snake" to "Camp with nades and space with ftilt."
In this thread we're actually trying to be helpful... if someone asks us - ignoring the FAQ - then we'll state that and link them to the MU thread. :laugh:

@Susa: in the video he does the naritake step with characters who cant crawl, so i figured this might have been different. either way, he says the grenade trick only works a third of the time (hold nade, press down and then shield) while standing on a platform.
Are you sure he was doing the Naritake Step? :confused: The first time we saw it, one of the steps was > 1/8 backwards crouch < (IIRC)....

Link me to the video again, True Pivot and Naritake Step are pretty similiar.. Naritake Step just uses crawling/crouching

Only 1/3rd of the time? I'll do testing to see if thats from flaw of the player - or just how the game works.

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
Nice updated Q&A for the most commonly asked questions! One thing I want to add regarding the changing directions thing...I find it easier to first hit back (wait for the joystick to be back in the neutral position before hitting B. This way it 100% guarantees you do the change direction while pulling out the nade instead of pulling nade first then joystick back as sometimes it doesn't work because you did the joystick too late or you do a nikita cause you did it too early.
How do I wavebounce/pseudo b-stick/change my momentum with grenades/c4?
When moving in the air, pull a grenade/drop c4 and immediately after tap the joystick in the direction of snake's back.

*If done right, it will completely change snake's momentum to where he's moving in the opposite direction with the same speed.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Only 1/3rd of the time? I'll do testing to see if thats from flaw of the player - or just how the game works.
No need, it works every time if you're doing it right, I use it a bunch

its his fault, he's just messing it up :laugh:

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
The b-reversal can be done in the direction oppisite of snakes momentum, even if its not his back.
Yes, but to get it to reverse his momentum you still hit the joystick towards his back, even if you aren't changing your momentum to the direction of his back. It doesn't really make sense, but that's how it works. That's why I worded the answer to that the way I did.

I actually like b-reversing it when it's not towards his back better, just because I think it looks cooler. But either way, it gets the same effect.

Tub

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of making a thread that could list all of snakes "set-up" combos, (such as f-throw > mine > nair) do any of you think you'd contribute, or would it just die out?

IxxI

Smash Fence
I was thinking of making a thread that could list all of snakes "set-up" combos, (such as f-throw > mine > nair) do any of you think you'd contribute, or would it just die out?
If you are, I can contribute a really cool one.

Pokemon Stadium 1
The set up is in the neutral part of Pokemon Stadium 1 with the 2 platforms.
C4- On one platform
Mine- Close to the ledge

Fthrow> Mine> C4

=D

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to do setup combos since it isn't guaranteed to work all the time. Especially given different damage %'s and character weights. The fthrow > mine > nair/c4 is a generic combo that can be used basically on any stage but is not guaranteed to land.

worldidiot

Smash Rookie
call me a n00b if it pleases ya, but wtf is a boost grab?
thx for any non-insulting answers, as i can insult myself enough (just look at my name :p)

Jar'd

Smash Ace
A boost grab gives you extra range on your grab. You do it just like a mortar slide, but you don't hit up on the control stick.

Nic64

Smash Lord
another really easy way to do it is to just hit A and L/R instead of cstick and Z.

Nic64

Smash Lord
no I meant same timing as normal DAC just you use A and L/R instead of cstick and Z, it works the same and is IMO a lot easier for this although either way it doesn't really matter I guess...I mostly started doing it this way because it makes reversing falco's CG a lot easier

SuSa

no I meant same timing as normal DAC just you use A and L/R instead of cstick and Z, it works the same and is IMO a lot easier for this although either way it doesn't really matter...I mostly started doing it this way because it makes reversing falco's CG a lot easier
I'll try that input, looking at the A L/R (generally shield buttons) it seemed you were talking about shield grabbing.

My badz

2 Things:

1) Does anything Snake have cancel/beat out any of his pikmin smashes or grabs?

2) Susa, have you been on a ToS2 spree? Just wondering since you have that for the avatar.

1) Pikmin have 0 priority, they clash with everything. Grab's are... weird and hard to explain.

2) I've had this avatar forever, I just made it bigger. I like Marta... :s
So the pikmin are sort of like aerials. Just hitboxes, if your hurtbox overlaps with the pikmin hitbox you get hurt. Got it.

I'll bug the ollies for the grab stuff then.

ToS2 is still a good game. I have yet to finish the final dungeon and everything since it practially came out, but.... I'll get to it eventually. My brawling schedule is just too full xD

xsephirot

Smash Apprentice
I'll try that input, looking at the A L/R (generally shield buttons) it seemed you were talking about shield grabbing.

My badz
It is the shield grab buttons except when hit together it performs a grab. I use the Z+A combo on the wiichuck as opposed to the A+B because the Z is shield on the other hand so it is easier to pull off a boost grab.

SuSa

It is the shield grab buttons except when hit together it performs a grab. I use the Z+A combo on the wiichuck as opposed to the A+B because the Z is shield on the other hand so it is easier to pull off a boost grab.
I was using this input and while it does a pivot grab with a slide, it's nowhere as good as the boost pivot grab. (for Falco)

Unless I'm failing at the input, it's not a boost grab.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I love this discussion.
We allready had that for like ... 5 times :)

"IT'S 3 SECONDS"
"NO 4"
"NO U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom