• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idiot-proof LZ77Ex

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
So, seeing as people just close the program because they're too stupid to realize DOS applications automatically close themselves once the program is finished, and since others are too lazy to relink LZ77Ex to the newest version, I am now forced to make this topic.

http://www.multiverseworks.com/lz77exip.rar

Seriously, if I see one more "MY PAC DOESN'T WORK WTF?" due to that person being too stupid to actually close the application before it's done, I'm gonna rage.

This time, the program has a double warning. Failure of actually reading the warning results in mockery. Failure of updating your links will result in the same.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
*cue generic "ZOMG HOW DO YOU USE IT I OPENED THE PROGRAM BUT IT CLOSED AND WTF WHAT IS THIS ZOMG IT'S BORKED STUPID PROGRAM" comments*

I'm surprised you didn't include an instructional readme file detailing the methods of usage. Though I doubt anyone would read it anyway.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Wait, some people actually closed the thing before it was done giving out a pac? What the hell... you see it doing something, you leave it be. It's like they've never used a computer before...

cultistofvertigo

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure stupid isn't the word, since I can't heads or tails of this and I'm hardly what you would call "stupid." And, from what I can tell, this does nothing different than the other copy of this I have, it opens a DOS window which immediately closes without having done anything at all. A readme would have been helpful at least, but not having one kind of negates the whole "idiot-proof" part of "idiot proof string of letters and numbers."

Whatever these warnings you are reffering to are supposed to be, I can't find them anywhere since, as stated earlier, all that happens when I run the program is opening a blank DOS window that immediately shuts down. Zero is a lot less than two.

If anyone would like to help sort out what I'm actually supposed to do with this paradox of an enigma, it would be greatly appreciated, seeing as how this is the "idiot-proof" thread and all.

And I hate to be "that guy," but do you really need to come down so hard on everyone all the time? I'm not trying to point fingers or call anyone out here because we all have our own degree of being a jerk (you should see me when somone asks me what a Theropod is!), but it just seems that everywhere you go in this forum everyone is way too eager to put you down because you don't know how to burn pirated copies of a frickin' video game. The only reason I bring it up is because unlike most console-hacking projects of mine (like trying to get PSX iso's to play on a PSP) have never got off the ground because of this attitude, but it's entirely BECAUSE of the Smash Bros. tournament jerks that I was able to understand, through Brawl+, all that I know about the homebrew channel and Wii hacking. So I'm really trying to not be so offended by all this, but it would be nice if maybe some of you could meet me half-way.

Well, anyways, thanks in advance for any help.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure stupid isn't the word, since I can't heads or tails of this and I'm hardly what you would call "stupid." And, from what I can tell, this does nothing different than the other copy of this I have, it opens a DOS window which immediately closes without having done anything at all. A readme would have been helpful at least, but not having one kind of negates the whole "idiot-proof" part of "idiot proof string of letters and numbers."

Whatever these warnings you are reffering to are supposed to be, I can't find them anywhere since, as stated earlier, all that happens when I run the program is opening a blank DOS window that immediately shuts down. Zero is a lot less than two.

If anyone would like to help sort out what I'm actually supposed to do with this paradox of an enigma, it would be greatly appreciated, seeing as how this is the "idiot-proof" thread and all.

And I hate to be "that guy," but do you really need to come down so hard on everyone all the time? I'm not trying to point fingers or call anyone out here because we all have our own degree of being a jerk (you should see me when somone asks me what a Theropod is!), but it just seems that everywhere you go in this forum everyone is way too eager to put you down because you don't know how to burn pirated copies of a frickin' video game. The only reason I bring it up is because unlike most console-hacking projects of mine (like trying to get PSX iso's to play on a PSP) have never got off the ground because of this attitude, but it's entirely BECAUSE of the Smash Bros. tournament jerks that I was able to understand, through Brawl+, all that I know about the homebrew channel and Wii hacking. So I'm really trying to not be so offended by all this, but it would be nice if maybe some of you could meet me half-way.

How long did it take you to write that? I bet you spent a long while trying to use the "smartest" sounding words so no one would call you a noob. Dude i dont see what your talking about when you say "And I hate to be "that guy," but do you really need to come down so hard on everyone all the time?", People only "come down" on someone because they are just being diffucult and that leads to them acting utterly stupid. Dont play victim here, or try to sound smart, when your really just a try hard.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Source code... nice

You could make command-line arguments to accept the file (how I assume you did it) and just tell people you can easily drag the compressed file on top of lz77ex.exe and that would make the output file automatically.

You should check for command line arguments and if there are none, THEN you do what you did not (pausing the program and wait for input)

Edit: Wait, I just checked the source. You're saying people close this program while it's running and you already do parse the input. Wow, that is pretty stupid.

I would just add a percentage thing, just add a line every 10% saying "10% complete.", "20% complete.", "30% complete." ... "Done!"

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
cultistofvertigo is the PERFECT EXAMPLE of what I referred to in my post. See what I mean?
Heh, seems he has a different issue though instead of having no idea how to use the thing. Anyhoo...

If I'm reading that right, I had the same issue once. Redownload it and try again by dragging the .pcs onto it. It should put out a file which you must rename to end in .pac. At least, if it's what I think it is, redownloading is how I fixed my issue with it haha.

Arkaether

Smash Ace
No, see, his problem is that he's trying to run the application instead of realizing that it works by dragging a .pcs file onto it. Which is the same thing I stated in my post; it's one of the most common errors people have.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I goofed up a few times with that application when I first started doing texture hacks. But now, I know better than to interrupt the PAC file creation.

Sometimes, I find it weird that Yoshi's PAC uses over 1,500 KB, and yet his PCS file usually uses between 400-600 KB.

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
No, see, his problem is that he's trying to run the application instead of realizing that it works by dragging a .pcs file onto it. Which is the same thing I stated in my post; it's one of the most common errors people have.
Oh yeah huh? *Shrugs* Ah well, I basically told him how to in my post anyways so if he can't do it now... :chuckle:

Blazekicker27

Smash Rookie
I also have a problem with the program. Whenever I drag the .pcs file onto it, it closes as soon as it opens. I've tried redownloading it twice, and the same thing happens. Could someone help, because I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or missing a file or what?

CRUSH_

Smash Cadet
not really a question, just wanna make for SURE for sure. I got the thing decompressing the ZL77 thing and like you said I haven't closed that program.

This 'main.cpp.out' file has grown to 1.7 gigs. Disk space isn't an issue, I just wanna make sure it's supposed to take this long and get this big. Only reason I'm doing it is to make a .pac to turn Ike's slashy sword marks red.

I know that's already been done more than once and I got 'em but I don't like 'em . It's a very pale red like salmon or something and I wanna make it RED red. Maybe make the gradient go from red to black instead of red to white.

I apologize for my ignorance and thanks in advance for your time =)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I closed it when I first used it, but then tried it again without even testing the pac because I noticed the size was abnormally small.

Really, I just want ASH to stop ignoring the fact that I have ntcompress.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Wait, some people actually closed the thing before it was done giving out a pac? What the hell... you see it doing something, you leave it be. It's like they've never used a computer before...
I think the reason people close it out before it's done is because it says "Files opened successfully!" or something like that before it starts showing the asterisks or whatever and it looks like it's saying the program was successful. I admit I made the mistake once, but at least I figured it out by myself rather quickly. I wouldn't peg the problem so much on people making the mistake, but making it repeatedly and still not having the capacity to figure out what it is they could be doing wrong. Too many people come to the internet with "OHLOL ITZ BROAKN GUISE" as a first resort rather than a last resort.

moosehunter

Smash Ace
You know, gbalzss does the exact same thing as lz77ex except 9000x faster
Seriously, it takes like 1 second to decompress stuff like system_5

YonoSSB

Smash Cadet
I know this is an old topic, but I'm reviving it.
For me, the file doesn't work. It justs says "lz77ex encountered a problem and needs to close".

*holds up impatient-proof-flameshield* BRING IT, SUCKAZ!

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
You might need the latest net framework, I'm not sure....

HOW DO YOU GUYS HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS!?

you drag a pcs into the program....wait until it closes automatically....and then rename the pcs.out to a .pac file...

Top Bottom