• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Situational Tricks Thread

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
(updated as of 7/18/09)
Being a character with a lot of options at any given time, Diddy has a lot of situational tricks that can be pulled off. Generally, situational stuff are put at the back of one's mind, but with Diddy, why? With all of the things he can possibly do given the circumstances, you're bound to have some arbitrary trick during any match.

This will be a collective list of a bunch of well-known and not-so-well-known situational tricks that are often discarded. I'll try to constantly update this, gathering information from places around the Diddy boards that are overlooked. If you have situational tricks that you do, feel free to input.

~general situational~

Boosted B’s: If you perform a side or downB right as you run off a platform, you get a momentum boost, allowing you to travel further. This works well on multi-platform stages like Battlefield; a boosted side-B towards the opponent can throw them off and often connect, given MFK’s (Monkey Flip Kick’s) priority.

Flip Kick Edge Cancel:

Exactly what it sounds like.

Ledge Punishing 1:
Random trick that work once in a set ->

if someone's holding on the ledge, unless it's mk, you can dash attack on the ledge to stall them (people, unless they're stupid or marth, don't try to punish a dash attack during the dash attack), and buffer a down B. Diddy will fall off while pulling a banana which will hit the opponent that will still be hanging. Then you can bair to stagespike them, or dair if you feel they'll airdodge (which is likely not the case since they're above the void)
The dangers (you need to stay aware of these) : you could get bair'd when you fall off, and the opponent will even catch the naner. 1 stock gone.
Ledge Punishing 2:

I was going to make my own thread for this, but there's a topic for this already. so

I have only recently applied this to my game, but it has worked well. What you do is, you become really aggressive when your opponent is off stage or on the ledge. Like I dash attack when they are on the ledge or drop a banana. Later on in the game, I don't do that. I just charge my barrels at the ledge when they are at 120sh%. The barrels don't deploy as soon as your opponent hits you.

OoS Rocket Barrel: If it connects, your OoS upB is relatively unpunishable if performed under the top platform of Battlefield, the platform of Yoshi’s Island, the platform on Frigate Orpheon, or any decently-sized platform of any stage. Some characters will have trouble punishing this even if it hits their shield or misses completely.

Platform Punishment 1

hmm a situational trick?

when opponent is near the edge of a platform (which is often) force them to shield and just keep spamming any fast attack and they will go down the platform with a tumbling animation (make sure not to hit them in this animation) and do whatever u like to them once they hit the ground (they can tech the ground btw to get back up) i mostly fair them but once in a while (rarely) i can land a banana lock if the bananas are nearby and or in my hand.
Pseudo-Frametrap 1: At low to mid percents, if you connect with a Diddy Hump (monkey flip grab) and do the attacking grab release, you’ll often be able to follow up with a FF Fair. The opponent often thinks you’re vulnerable after that grab release, and because of the low distance they traveled, they often try to attack you in your “lag”, and the FF Fair punishes their aggression. An aerial with less lag on landing (N-air, B-air maybe) would be safer. Don't do this too often; with any frametrap, your opponent can catch on.

Tether Punish:

A trick against characters with tether recoveries is to wait for them to get fairly close to the edge, then run off and charge your barrels. When they use the tether to try to get up you'll have an easy rocket barrel spike. This seems to work best against Toon Link, Link, and Samus. Ivysuar and Shiek are pretty difficult to pull this off on and it just doesn't work against Olimar because of his pikmin. I haven't tried this on ZSS yet but it'd probably work.

~banana situational~

Aerial Installing

I have a trick I was talking to ADHD about a month or so ago:

You can do aerials with a banana in your hand, without doing stuff like Z dropping them and using an aerial to recatch them.

First obviously, you need a banana in your hand. Next, you need to be in the air.

Basically, you use Down B (Smash or Tilt, doesn't matter) in the air. It DOES NOT MATTER if a banana comes out or not (meaning even if you have two banana's out already, this trick will work). Now, before the animation ends, start buffering whatever aerial you want. What will happen is that Diddy will do his Down B animation, and then right after do an aerial. What's neat about this is that you can KEEP ON DOING MORE AERIALS by buffering consecutive aerials.

So say you do this, and buffer a Fair. If you are still in the air, you can buffer another Fair, an Uair, Dair, etc. So say you use Fair, and your opponent airdodges. No biggie, you can then try to Bair him/her as they move through you. You can also be silly and Dair over and over or Uair over and over for ****s and giggles.

Now, this may seem a bit useless/novel at first, BUT I haven't even gotten into the mindgames you can pull with this. Let's say you do this and first aerial you use an Uair. They airdodge/you miss, and you want to punish them or put pressure on them with a banana. Well, no need to worry. All you have to do to toss the banana instead of do the aerial is not buffer an aerial. If you wait a brief bit after the aerial/down b is over, and then input a command, Diddy will toss the banana instead of doing an aerial. So you can mix it up between a fast Banana toss or a fast aerial without giving your opponent time to guess before hand which one will happen.
Oh, wait, so if I pick up a banana with like say instant shbair, can I bair again via aerial installing?

BTW I like calling it aerial installing because that name is ridiculously amazing and Guilty Gear like
Well, if you catch a banana with a Bair, for some reson, youre already able to do a second aerial. Its different from what DMG posted though because you CAN NOT throw the banana. You either land first or aerial.

I dont know why it happens. It just does :ohwell:

Barrel Kill

Barrel kill:

Battlefield, or somewhere with a platform. x = banana (resting on top of a platform, above you)

x x
You (uthrowing someone)

Depending upon their DI, they will go left or right (in my experience, people DI towards you/up, meaning the uthrow will typically send the opponent behind you.

Now, the trick is simple, you uthrow > FH > instant throw naner up > DJ > Barrel

Situational, like most things in Brawl, but more satisfying than the crunch of an infant's rib cage.
Edgeguarding: There are different ways to effectively do this depending on the amount of bananas you have.

-No banana: Get one. If for whatever reason you don’t want to use the chance to safely pluck a banana, short hop near the ledge and be ready to Fair.

-One banana: Short hop near the ledge with a banana in hand. If the opponent tries to roll or attack onto the stage, dthrow and trip them, then FF Fair to push them back off the stage.

-Two bananas: Same as one banana, but with the other banana either on the ground where they’d get up from a roll (assuming they have a long roll length) or the other banana up thrown.

-Some characters (MK, Fox, Jiggs) have multiple ways to get up from the ledge via extra jumps or momentum stalling. Against these characters, one banana in your hand and another up thrown generally works better. Other characters (DK) only have their straight-forward ledge get-ups, and one banana on the ground + one banana in your hand while short hopping can keep them at the ledge for a good chunk of
percent.

IHSA:
Trick - Holding an attack button [perferable "L or R" to be easer on you] while picking up a Banana lets you to be able to Fsmash with the C stick after the picking up the banana animation [Item Hold Smash Attack aka IHSA]
GT to Pivot Grab:
Glidetoss forward down to a pivot grab. You gotta be aware of OoS attacks but it works a lot for me. You can glidetoss backwards too, but doing it forwards is the cool way to do it.

Platform Punishment 2:
One of the lesser known and lesser used tricks every character in the game can do is fall through a platform while in shield by slightly tilting the joystick down; too slow and you just tilt your shield, too fast and you spot dodge. If Diddy does this with a banana in his hand, he can fall through a platform and quickly up-throw his banana to where he was. Useful against multi-hit attacks that are hitting your shield, such as Marth’s Dancing Blade.

Safe Banana Plucking:

I don't care if this is known or whatever. This can be a relatively quick/easy way to get a banana in your hand without having to worry very much about metaknight or some other fast character chasing you while you pluck it. Just go and dash attack directly over the ledge, then pluck a banana smash or tilted. What happens is that you will slide right down off the ledge and the banana will hit the wall and drop completely down. This isn't the trick itself, but it's based off of this.

Since the time period for you to slip off the ledge while plucking a banana is so broad, you can actually turn around and pluck the banana and STILL fall off. You can utilize this to z catch the banana and return to the ledge. Steps:

1) Dash attack over to the ledge.
2) Turn around and quickly tilt pluck the banana.
3) Jump and z catch.
4) Side b flip or barrel back to the ledge.

And that's it. I'm questioning it's usefullness but I'll try it out in friendlys or whatnot.

SH Dthrow Banana Approaches:
You can dthrow->z-drop or double dthrow onto a character’s shield. If you double dthrow and an fsmash against a character who's shielding, you can chip off their shield quite a bit, or you can opt to grab. If they roll preemptively, you can FF and instant glide toss, unless they have a good roll like Lucario’s. Most people go for the offensive if they roll away, and a banana throw often works, although you can interchange that with an MFK or Fair. The only way to stop the threat of this--and stopping the approach happens often--is by hitting you when you’re short hop approaching.

The Fecalator (lol):
Yay for random tricks! I'll join in.

A little trick I like to use on characters with predictable recoveries (i.e. mario, ganon, cf, olimar, etc...) is to time an edge-released fastfall then uthrow a banana then use upB to stage spike. You have to hit them perfectly, otherwise they'll just get pushed the opposite way for minimal damage. I like using it in doubles more than singles. Looks sexy if you pull it off, I call it the fecalator because people soil themselves if it works.:)
Triple Dthrow: If you full hop against big characters like D3, you can triple dthrow a banana, provided they slip the first time. This can be useful against characters like D3--being in short hop range above him leaves you open for a utilt, bair, possible shield-grab, but full-hop range is relatively unpunishable provided you avoid getting juggled (this can be avoided by Monkey Flipping away if the hit doesn’t connect).

~character situational~

Snake (and possibly other characters)1:
Here's a really nice trick that can **** unsuspecting Snakes. If you grab them on the edge you pummel them until they get released and fall down. Now most Snakes will try to jump back to the ledge where you can dtilt them removing their 2nd jump. they then have to try to come up from below the stage on the cypher where you can easily run off and dair them. It only works once but can get you a very low percent kill.
snakes caught on to that and just immediately cypher up and away o.o but still it forces them to recover far away and chance of c4'n themselves.
Wario 1:

Im not sure if everyone knew this. I know I didnt til like a week ago :ohwell:
Anyways, whenever you actually manage to banana lock Wario, instead of smashing, grab him so he ends up hanging over the ledge. This will force him to air grab release allowing you to follow up with ANY aerial. Dair is the obvious choice for the early kill but its possible for Wario to SDI onto the stage. This is where the mindgames begin. Mix it up between Dairs and Fairs so that they DI wrong. Ive gotten a few early kills with this.
~stage situational~

Brinstar 1: If you Z-Drop or d-throw a banana on the mesh where the stage connects, the banana will bounce, keeping the banana’s hitbox active (I believe).

OoS Rocket Barrel List: List of stages where this is unpunishable enough to consider.
(still pending)

Slippery Slope: If you have a banana on a slope and Bthrow/Fthrow at the base, you can throw the opponent into the banana, making them trip again and letting you follow up with an attack of your choice. This can often happen on Brinstar, Frigate Orpheon, or Castle Siege.

~~~~~~~​

Again, if you want to add anything to this list, feel free. Help is always appreciated.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Basically
Learn to throw bananas in all directions, in every way.
Standing throw (forward/backwards/down/up) (all strengths) (this is the glidetoss throw basically)

dash throw (less useful due to glidetossing being better)

aerial forward/backward/up/down (weak or strong) (weak strong)

I try to make banana traps with down b and one banana in hand.

Question: should we followup a successful banana slip with a dash attack or grab? or something else? probably asked before and mixing up is good but w/e

SRTM

Smash Ace
Basically
Learn to throw bananas in all directions, in every way.
Standing throw (forward/backwards/down/up) (all strengths) (this is the glidetoss throw basically)

dash throw (less useful due to glidetossing being better)

aerial forward/backward/up/down (weak or strong) (weak strong)

I try to make banana traps with down b and one banana in hand.

Question: should we followup a successful banana slip with a dash attack or grab? or something else? probably asked before and mixing up is good but w/e
Usually I grab, but it starts to get predictable sometimes. If they are at low percents, I think you should dashattack combo them most of the time. Unless they grab YOU out of your dash attack...

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Nice thread man. Theres some cool stuff in here. Why dont you add ledge pulling tricks?
About followups, I dash attack at lower percents and grab/smash at higher percents depending on how far they are when they slip.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Trick - Holding an attack button [perferable "L or R" to be easer on you] while picking up a Banana lets you to be able to Fsmash with the C stick after the picking up the banana animation [Item Hold Smash Attack aka IHSA]

white peachy

Smash Ace
Yay for random tricks! I'll join in.

A little trick I like to use on characters with predictable recoveries (i.e. mario, ganon, cf, olimar, etc...) is to time an edge-released fastfall then uthrow a banana then use upB to stage spike. You have to hit them perfectly, otherwise they'll just get pushed the opposite way for minimal damage. I like using it in doubles more than singles. Looks sexy if you pull it off, I call it the fecalator because people soil themselves if it works.:)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
ADHD does that "pick up bananas with sh immediate fair" stuff that is cool

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Avarice, the trick under my name [IHSA] here is a Link for a [how to/applied/discussion]
IHSA - [http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231742]

ALSO! for another RANDOM tricks
Don't know the name for this trick if there is even a name for it, but here is a description
Description - While you holding a Banana you can Dtilt, this is different from IHSA

Dtilt w/ Banana - While holding a banana if you CRAWL, NOT just crouching, but crawl you can Dtilt when you press the attack button. This can be applied best at low percentages for combo usages

"OFF TOPIC"
- Avarice I haven't heard from you in the DDK stage discussion in a while, I miss your kick *** detailed stage matchup post

Coffee™

I need it....
Rocket Barrels OOS is my tech. One more reason why I like Yoshi Story with Diddy. Barrels have so many uses.

-lee on ravyns account-

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Im not sure if everyone knew this. I know I didnt til like a week ago :ohwell:
Anyways, whenever you actually manage to banana lock Wario, instead of smashing, grab him so he ends up hanging over the ledge. This will force him to air grab release allowing you to follow up with ANY aerial. Dair is the obvious choice for the early kill but its possible for Wario to SDI onto the stage. This is where the mindgames begin. Mix it up between Dairs and Fairs so that they DI wrong. Ive gotten a few early kills with this.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
updated. Falling through platforms in-sheild to upthrown bananas? wut. Check it out.

@_@ Phaty, I half-forgot and when I remembered they were match-ups I don't know that well (ROB).

skabs

Smash Rookie
Wow, great thread guys! Thanks for all of the great tricks and tips, I am looking forward mixing several of these into my Diddy game. Kudos to all for the help!

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Glidetoss forward down to a pivot grab. You gotta be aware of OoS attacks but it works a lot for me. You can glidetoss backwards too, but doing it forwards is the cool way to do it.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
i like doing it backwards because they might think that you're going to dribble, but if you don't re-pick up the naner they could slip if they try to chase you

white peachy

Smash Ace
I seriously have like a million tricks I use for edguarding. Diddy can be so creative there. I need to start writing them down. Fecalator is one of my favs tho.:laugh:

TreK

Is "that guy"
-Okay, I SERIOUSLY wonder why this hasn't been done before. Maybe I'm just overrating this in my mind, but whatever. Everyone can fall through a platform while in sheild, but in case you didn't know, yeah, you can do that with any character. When you have a sheild, you have to tilt it partially down at just the right speed to fall while in sheild. Too slow, and you just tilt your sheild and wear it out longer. Too fast, and you sidestep.
I totally needed this. thx. A lot. xD

Random trick that work once in a set ->
if someone's holding on the ledge, unless it's mk, you can dash attack on the ledge to stall them (people, unless they're stupid or marth, don't try to punish a dash attack during the dash attack), and buffer a down B. Diddy will fall off while pulling a banana which will hit the opponent that will still be hanging. Then you can bair to stagespike them, or dair if you feel they'll airdodge (which is likely not the case since they're above the void)
The dangers (you need to stay aware of these) : you could get bair'd when you fall off, and the opponent will even catch the naner. 1 stock gone.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
I use a mind game trick sh with nana> zdrop > instantly catch and throw by pressing A+air dodge+a direction.

I also do like a double nana throw with this just throw nana up get another jump throw first instant catch throw the second so even they catch or dodge first get still trip em

But i dunno probs nooby stuff its just some bomb stuff i use when i use toon link

Edit: probs do this with Z....

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Cleanup, cleanup, everybody everywhere...

Thread has been massively cleaned up. I attempted to kill a lot of my wordiness and just made it look neater. To make looking for individual content easier, I've reorganized it by type of situational trick, instead of by person.

Input is still greatly appreciated. I'm going to be scouring the boards looking for other stuff, lol.

TreK

Is "that guy"
:o, i've totally forgot about this thread
we should look for vyse's tricks thread and add stuff from his too.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
If your on a platform above somebody you can use the shield-fall through thing except throw the banana down which leads to a free smash, grab, or whatever.

You can cancel your peanut gun instantly into a glide toss. You can also cancel the peanut gun in the air with no lag by pressing grab. Not incredibly useful but good if you want to do a quick turn around in the air. You can also cancel the peanut gun when your right next to a banana to pick it up.

A good edgeguard against predictable recoveries is to jump above your opponent, dthrow a banana -> dair. It's pretty risky but I've pulled it off a number of times.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
The brinstar trick works on wario's bike as well.

and you can dthrow not just z drop.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I was against the idea of a random tricks thread in the Kongpendium, but with this actually being formatted and recent I'll think I'll add it :) Nice tricks! Hope to see more in the future!

TreK

Is "that guy"
If your on a platform above somebody you can use the shield-fall through thing except throw the banana down which leads to a free smash, grab, or whatever.
This is amazing and the first thing I tried when I heard of the shield ; but I can't do this in the heat of real matches whenever I want to ._. Calmly tilting down the control stick when the snake under you is spamming utilts and nades is hard ._.

You can cancel your peanut gun instantly into a glide toss. You can also cancel the peanut gun in the air with no lag by pressing grab. Not incredibly useful but good if you want to do a quick turn around in the air. You can also cancel the peanut gun when your right next to a banana to pick it up.
guess we all knew it but whatever

A good edgeguard against predictable recoveries is to jump above your opponent, dthrow a banana -> dair. It's pretty risky but I've pulled it off a number of times.
I prefer to banana-bair and stage spike them, personally. You take less risk, even tho they can tech :/

Dekar173

Justice Man
Barrel kill:

Battlefield, or somewhere with a platform. x = banana (resting on top of a platform, above you)

x x
You (uthrowing someone)

Depending upon their DI, they will go left or right (in my experience, people DI towards you/up, meaning the uthrow will typically send the opponent behind you.

Now, the trick is simple, you uthrow > FH > instant throw naner up > DJ > Barrel

Situational, like most things in Brawl, but more satisfying than the crunch of an infant's rib cage.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Wow, you can't deploy your barrels if you are in the possession of the banana.
Funnily enough, I was very misleading with my terminology. You're hitting them with your upB, not the barrel itself.

Then again, with the setup I'm talking about, why would this be a setup to use the barrel? The barrels deploy randomly, not in a set loop, so how could it possibly be a "barrel" setup?

(considering you're fullhopping then double jumping... how the **** would this be a barrel deployment scenario?)

I'll post vids soon, probably from tourney.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
You named the trick, Barrel Kill. I have never killed using my barrels without deploying them.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
A trick against characters with tether recoveries is to wait for them to get fairly close to the edge, then run off and charge your barrels. When they use the tether to try to get up you'll have an easy rocket barrel spike. This seems to work best against Toon Link, Link, and Samus. Ivysuar and Shiek are pretty difficult to pull this off on and it just doesn't work against Olimar because of his pikmin. I haven't tried this on ZSS yet but it'd probably work.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
LOL same here. I really dont see how you can kill someone of the top with barrels unless you get hit and he barrels are released. But in your scenario, you dont get hit :confused:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I was going to make my own thread for this, but there's a topic for this already. so

I have only recently applied this to my game, but it has worked well. What you do is, you become really aggressive when your opponent is off stage or on the ledge. Like I dash attack when they are on the ledge or drop a banana. Later on in the game, I don't do that. I just charge my barrels at the ledge when they are at 120sh%. The barrels don't deploy as soon as your opponent hits you.

TreK

Is "that guy"
ya we know it ; it led to a death combo on 6-7 characters
it's pretty impractical tho

Bellioes

Smash Lord
True, very hard to actually get the spacing in the heat of a battle but this is the situational tricks thread ;)

Top Bottom