• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moveset Discussion: Blaster (pew pew)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Okay, for simplicity's sake, I'm just going to make new threads and then link to them in the main thread.

Anywho, now we're talking about blaster, I'm really curious to see what people think of this. I think it's an amazing move, it's just that the lag gets to it.... if Wolf could auto cancel his laser like Falco, I think he'd be ****ing amazing.

Discuss away.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Well Blaster is pretty simple.

It's Wolf's only projectile, and a pretty **** good one at that; so it's absolutly priceless on a match.

That being said, some of the uses I give Blaster are:
- Long range attack (should be obvious).
- Camping (should be obvious as well)
- Edgeguarding, yes that's right. While it might not be effective against characters with good recoveris it can definitly gimp some others like Falco or Ness.
- Follow up. While this is situational, the bayonet hit of the blaster is actually pretty ranged and has incredible priority, so using it after a complete jab combo or downthrow isn't a bad idea at all. But use it sparingly because if it misses you'll likely get punished.
- Recovery. While not that helpful, it can make the diference between loosing a stock and keeping it, so it's always welcome.

Anyway those are my 2 cents. Blaster is an incredibly versatile move and it should always be used when at a distance. Also remember that the blast hitbox is pretty big, so no character can crouch under it.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
I think blaster is underrated. People say: "just power shield it", and think that's it.
But is has far more uses: It's good against ground and air approachs and pressures the opponent. Reversed blaster is good for approaching mindgames (aka SH to the opponent, reverse blaster away and Fsmash out of sweetspot range), can confuse the opponent in general, helps recovering and it's with shine very difficult to juggle Wolf. Blaster messes up with some recoveries: If you hit Ness out of his DJ when he tries to get back onto the stage, you can follow up with a shine spike, same against Falco and Fox when they use overB.
I also made the experience that blaster is a good juggling option: Do a FH blaster, if your opponent air dodges, use Usmash, Utilt or Dsmash (to kill) as soon as you are on the ground, if it connects you can also use a buffered Uair or Fair, it really works.
Blaster is also very important in some MUs: It's the ultimate weapon against Olimar and one of the few ways to handle DDD.

link64e

Smash Apprentice
Blaster is used for catching people off guard and setting up for kill moves. I love clipping people in the toes as they jump or land in the air. It stuns them for a bit then I can Fsmash or if they're close enough to the ground, Dsmash.

The blaster is a good projectile but spamming (As with most projectiles) is useless. It is slow and can be easily avoided. Not to mention punishable.

The blaster is good for stunning and set-ups but be aware of its slow speed.

JCav

Smash Lord
b reversal?

a wise tool to use to go along with blaster, use it right and it could be a few of a well equipped blaster tech skills.

JJhas used one of the best blaster applications imo with ledgehop>blaster away. Its very safe and really hard to punish due to the great range that was mentioned above and the actual laser part.

idk blaster used to get ripped on but its such a spacing tool and add the pewpew and whats not to love?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The bayonet goes through tornado, somehow.

I use blaster a lot for follow ups and potentially forcing an AD into the ground. It's also good for hararssing your opponent when they're trying to get back on stage, one FH/DJ blaster and then another on the way down, works decently. I rarely use it on grounded opponents anymore unless I'm bored and feel like spamming, lol. It's sad but true, upper-level players will just PS through it if they're grounded :(

Blaster to recover gives you a little push in horizontal momentum, or something like that. So if you blaster then DI towards the stage it helps recovery a bit. Retreating blaster is fun, and reversing it can help to turn you around, especially in the air so you can bair away edgeguarders as you return to the stage.

Ether wavebounces blaster a good deal. Also, the bayonet gimp, he might have something to say about those.

Blaster plank is gay, use it.

Overall, a solid move. Not a spam thing, but a great tool regardless. And good olimars don't get ***** by it, btw :(

:059:

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
b reversal?

a wise tool to use to go along with blaster, use it right and it could be a few of a well equipped blaster tech skills.

JJhas used one of the best blaster applications imo with ledgehop>blaster away. Its very safe and really hard to punish due to the great range that was mentioned above and the actual laser part.

idk blaster used to get ripped on but its such a spacing tool and add the pewpew and whats not to love?
What are exactly the uses of ledgehop>blaster away? To be able to use Bair getting back onto the stage?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
I use blaster to

1) Camp when I go into gaygay wolf mode (see what i did there?)
2) Blaster plank edge games (i use this when I'm thinking what to do next or to help me get back onto the stage)
3) When I hit someone away with a bair or something, I FH jumpblaster towards them (U can DI really far with this) and then if the blaster hits their doouble jump or they airdodge it, I dsmash their landing lag.\
4) when they try to get up from the ledge, a well timed blaster hits them back onto the ledge
5) Shooting once just to get them to approach.
6) hitting metaknight out of a glide or tornado
7) gimping falcos, foxes

theres probably more but i cant think of it right now

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
I usually hit B to bait the opponent into jumping/staying on the ground. The reason why I do so, is because the projectile moves relatively slow, which means you have been giving yourself some more time to do the situation you were baiting for.
If you are lucky, you can actually attack your opponent into the projectile, which makes them loose some of their velocity.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Blaster definitely does have a lot of uses. It's really good for baiting things and cutting off options (IE, jumping) One place I like to use it is when they're on the ledge, hanging. If you just spam blaster they probably won't: Ledge Hop Attack, get up, get up attack, roll (Provided you're about that distance away from the ledge) and maybe ledge hop airdodge. So they're pretty much left with jumping.

It's also REALLY Good off the ledge as a sort of ledge stall, because it forces them away from the ledge, giving you room, and it's really annoying. I'm sure there are ways around it (PS the shot, go in and edge hog, punish the Side B's or Up B's landing lag. Or something of the sort lol)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I think the best use of the blaster is to stop the momentum (as in "flow") of the opponent. Camping with the blaster is rather ineffective because of the lag. A blaster in between the bairs or whatever helps too.

tekkie

Smash Master
Aiming well with the blasted makes it awesome when they're in the air.

*jump approach*
*pew pew*
*thud*
"DAMMIT!

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Just wanted to point out that the blaster is unsafe on hit at close range, in case that wasn't already obvious. But yeah, as mentioned, I like to blast people when they try to zone with an aerial I can't reliably beat. Blast Fox/Falco out of sideB, followed by shining them out of the mandatory upB. Blast to force air dodges, and punish. All this stuff that was mentioned is good. Standing blaster seems pretty good against ZSS, and pretty bad against Diddy holding a banana, as two specific examples.

:034:

Smash Hero
You know what? Blaster is so good you could write an informercial about it.

"Hi, Billy Mays here, with the new revolutionary BLASTER(tm)! With the BLASTER(tm), you can shoot people from far away, you can gimp fast-fallers and you can camp with it! But that's not all! The BLASTER(tm) also comes with a knife on the front, so you can actually hurt people with it up-close! What's more, you can use it to turn around with the new B-Reserval method, AND you can plank with it!

Use this new and amazing tool to casually annoy your friends on Wi-Fi, or to make your opponent approach you! Everybody loves the BLASTER(tm)!:

Sebastian S said:
I think blaster is underrated.
Sesshomuronay said:
Wolf's blaster is awesome, it shoots things.
...a wise tool to use...
The blaster is good for stunning AND set-ups...
And now for today's only special deal! If you call now, you won't get just your BLASTER(tm), but also your REFLECTOR(tm), for 10 easy payments of 1200 dollars! CALL NOW!"

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
"Oh look...he's just spamming fairs just outside my reach, I'mma jump backwards and B-reverse a blaster."
Pretty much.

You know what? Blaster is so good you could write an informercial about it.

"Hi, Billy Mays here, with the new revolutionary BLASTER(tm)! With the BLASTER(tm), you can shoot people from far away, you can gimp fast-fallers and you can camp with it! But that's not all! The BLASTER(tm) also comes with a knife on the front, so you can actually hurt people with it up-close! What's more, you can use it to turn around with the new B-Reserval method, AND you can plank with it!

Use this new and amazing tool to casually annoy your friends on Wi-Fi, or to make your opponent approach you! Everybody loves the BLASTER(tm)!:

And don't forget to rub Orange Glaow and Oxyclean on your Wood!

And now for today's only special deal! If you call now, you won't get just your BLASTER(tm), but also your REFLECTOR(tm), for 10 easy payments of 1200 dollars! CALL NOW!"

Top Bottom