• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

東方 Touhou

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice

Come on, I know there's more Touhou fans out there.

This thread is based around Touhou. Games, art, music, videos, etc.

http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/

Games

TH01 東方靈異伝 ~ The Highly Responsive to Prayers
TH02 東方封魔録 ~ The Story of Eastern Wonderland
TH03 東方夢時空 ~ Phantasmagoria of Dim.Dream
TH04 東方幻想郷 ~ Lotus Land Story
TH05 東方怪綺談 ~ Mystic Square
TH06 東方紅魔郷 ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
TH07 東方妖々夢 ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom
TH07.5 東方萃夢想 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power
TH08 東方永夜抄 ~ Imperishable Night
TH09 東方花映塚 ~ Phantasmagoria of Flower View
TH09.5 東方文花帖 ~ Shoot the Bullet
TH10 東方風神録 ~ Mountain of Faith
TH10.5 東方緋想天 ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
TH11 東方地霊殿 ~ Subterranean Animism
TH12 東方星蓮船 ~ Undefined Fantastic Object

Touhou 'anime' (同人ソフト)(東方)[舞風] 夢想夏郷 A Summer Day's Dream Animation
Episode 1 HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3tOwqp334c&fmt=22
Episode 2 HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGhQj1NQEQ&fmt=22
Touhou fanmade anime released & subbed by Maikaze on C75.

Latest game: TH12 Undefined Fantastic Object (東方星蓮船 Touhou Seirensen ~ Star-Lotus Ship)

Screenshots

Gameplay Video on Lunatic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m84hC8717j4&fmt=18

Demo DL Link: I'll add it once my computer isn't dead.
Full Release Date: Summer 2009 (C76)

I'm considering hosting an IaMP tournament if I can find enough players who are interested.
If you are, please PM me.

Touhou Group
IaMP Group
SWR Group

Discuss.

I personally think Ichirin's last spellcard is bull****.
Unzan moves too fast -_-

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Perfect Cherry Blossom (TH 7)
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (TH 6)
Subterranean Animism (TH 11)

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
-_-

Fine.

Touhouyoyoumu (TH 7)

Touhoukoumakyou (TH 6)

Touhouchireiden (TH 11)

The spin-offs aren't bad either.

Super Marisa Land/World (Mario spin-offs)

Touhou Puppet Play (Touhoumon)

The Mystical Chain demo was pretty good as well

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
The mystical chain demo was awesome.
I can get you links to various games if you'd like.
The Touhou group has links to most of the fanmade games.
Mountain of Faith was my personal favorite. I don't like SA's bombing system.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Well my personal favorite is PCB.
I like the way the game looks and plays. Also I like it more than EoSD because the graphics are much smoother.

Sakuya is haaaaard. Patchouli is pretty tough too. And Cirno's triangular attack (part of the first part before the first spell card) was tough until I watched a video of someone doing it.

Edit: Actually IN isn't bad either but I like the gameplay of PCB more.

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Sakuya was kind of annoying.
I like MoF because Aya's spell cards are awesome, lol.
I didn't like SA because the backgrounds were all so... dark. It needed more color imo, everything was like lolinsideahouse, lolinsidehell, lolinsideanuclearpowerplantyay.
If they made PoFV more like MoF it'd be too good.
I didn't like PCB the story was kind of dumb imo lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I hear a lot about the touhou games but have never played them.... they seem so hard lol.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I sayTouhou 8 ~ Imperishable Night. It supposedly is one the easiest. It's easy mode is said to be one of the easiest and it has a very good practice mode. Not to mention 4 different teams of 2 that are playable making 8 playable characters after you unlock the ability to use them individually.

There's also the fact that it has the greatest amount official background story and after story (Touhou Bougetsushou; Inaba of the Moon and Inaba of the Earth (4 koma manga), Cage in Lunatic Runagate (novelized short stories), and Silent Sinner in Blue (manga)).

Why is only Maikaze's anime up there? Shouldn't SOUND HOLIC's Touhou Project: Side Story get a mention too? *Shot for how horribly $%!7ty the quality of that anime was*

You don't have to play the games to be a Touhou fan. There are several fans of the series for the doujinshi and music alone. Sure, they're hated by the rest of the Touhou community, but it is still a part of fandom nonetheless.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
I was introduced through Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and I'm probably gonna try one of the main games soon since I'm starting to take a liking to bullet hell games. Probably gonna take up one of the suggestions in this thread.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
They need to make another fighter. Just not as campy as Scarlet Weather Rhapsody
EoSD was my favorite one out of the shooters, but I've only played that SA, and IN. One of the main reasons I play Touhou is because it has one of the greatest soundtracks I've ever heard in my life. Not even just in video games, just music in general.

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
If they make another game with TasoFro I hope it's nothing like SWR...
Random weathers were dumb. Although a lot of people seemed to like the one-click spell card system, as opposed to 236/214D.

Mountain of Faith is a good one to start with, it has the original bombing system and is relatively simple.
Subterranean Animism would be a bad one. The new bombing system in it is whack.

Be sure to try out the Mystical Cage game, it's pretty awesome, even though it's just a demo.

Why is only Maikaze's anime up there? Shouldn't SOUND HOLIC's Touhou Project: Side Story get a mention too? *Shot for how horribly $%!7ty the quality of that anime was*
I can put it up there once I get my computer back.
Is that the one with the eggs? -_-

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
I wouldn't know. It's had very bad reviews so far so I'm going to stay far away from it. Aya would be an old woman before she traveled the distance it takes to get between me and that anime.

I agree that Subterranean Animism is a bad one to start with. Not just for the bombing system, but for it's monstrous difficulty. I still haven't made it to Stage 3 Easy T_T. Also, IN does have the easiest easy. I 1CC'd it this weekend. 3 times. Still haven't even beat PCB at all 'cause I suck at these games :p.

Protip for newbies: If you're playing Mountain of Faith Marisa-B (Penetration type), stay between 3 and 3.95 power and don't focus. You'll be taking down bosses before their bullts even reach you.

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
If you're referring to the one I'm thinking of... yeah. It's REALLY bad.
There are a lot of good fanmade videos out there. IOSYS makes some good ones, such as the popular Overdrive and "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing".

Lol, MarisaB's bugged laser FTW, that was what I used when I desperately wanted to see the extra stage.
I personally prefer ReimuA though.
The hardest part of SA for me was Stage 5, I think.
Nuclear reactor bird wasn't that hard, really.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I got EoSD a few days ago, love it but it's so hard. I can't even get to the boss of level 6 on normal :(

EoSD is the only one I have so far, which one would you guys recommend for when(if?) I beat this one?

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
If you plan on going in chronological order, go for Touhou 7 ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom.
If you want to stay with the familiar spell card, Power, and graze system, then either PCB or Touhou 8 ~ Imperishable Night. In addition, both give you a hitbox (so you can see where you don't get hit) and an enemy indicator (because it's so hard to look at yourself and the enemy at the same time [/sarcasm?]) to the formula.
Touhou 10 ~ Mountain of Faith takes away graze
(wut?)
and replaces the spell card bombing system with a regular bombing system and Power is measured in decimals starting with 0.00 and the max value is 5.00. Each small Power would increase it by .05 while a big one would increase it by 1.00. Bombs can be used anytime, but at the cost of 1.00 power.

tl;dr version of MoF: Drastic changes to the engine.

Touhou 11 ~ Subterranean Animism is lol crazy hard on Easy mode.
Touhou 9 ~ Phantasmagoria of Flower View is a Vs. split screen shooter. Not much to say except Touhou ⑨.
Touhou 9.5 ~ Shoot the Bullet is probably the #1 cause of suicide for Touhou fans frustratingly difficult.
Touhou 7.5 ~ Immaterial and Missing Power is Melee and Touhou 10.5 ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is Brawl.

Twilight Bar Room ~ Uwabami Breakers gets an honorable mention because it uses ZUN's MoF engine and has a music track composed by ZUN. Not to mention it's about bar hopping and alcohol.

To be honest, I don't really know what to suggest. I only beat EoSD recently and haven't 1CC'd a Normal mode of any other game since. Gosh darn it, I suck at everything. ;_;
Also, the lack of Renko, Mary, Akyu, Kourin (+Tokiko), Watatsuki Sisters (+ Reisen II), and the Three Mischievious Fairies in the OP upsets me.

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
UFO probably isn't a good one to play, not just due to the fact that it's not complete yet.
PoFV is interesting. I played it with a few friends for about a week.
It seriously starts to rely on Spellcards to clear all the bullets on the screen, otherwise you're ****ED.
And if you beat EoSD, just try the next hardest difficulty. It's amazing on lunatic. And then there's the Extra stage...

Minty Fresh

Smash Rookie
I would have to say that SWR and IN are my favorites.
IN has a great soundtrack (PCB is still better) and interesting gameplay which just keeps luring me to it.
SWR, in my opinion, is a much more simpler version than IaMP that has more characters and a spellcard deck system, which is very useful in Netplay. :]

Mintzsquee

Smash Apprentice
Have you tried the original games?
I mean, IaMP and SWR are fun and all... but I definitely enjoy seeing danmaku fly across my screen.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Wow. I never knew a Touhou page existed up here.
Neither did I.

Also; A full English patch for SWR was released today/yesterday/a few days ago, for those who didn't know.

Edit: Wait, why is this thread in Media Metropolis anyway? Wouldn't Lighthouse be more suitable?

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
Cheers!!

Except that I'm having trouble with getting the SWR characters/cards in it.

I've checked Touhou Wiki and SWR wiki for instructions, but haven't gotten it to work yet. :(
I know I need to put the path for SWR in some config file. (config123, nor configex123 seem to work)
The other thing they say should work is having both games in the same folder. But it ain't working either.

Help?

Edit: Got it! Yays!
And this,
Can't wait to play online with you guys.
too.
I've yet to play any of the Touhou fighters online, so I'd like to try.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
UNL is soooooo much more gooder than SWR. The new characters are amazing, especially the nuclear chick. She is so freaking powerful, it's not even funny. Can't wait to play online with you guys.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
I guess I'm gonna have to give the touhou fighters a shot now ^_^

up until now I've only been playing the shooters

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
My cards don't transfer. Only my characters.

Jonkku

Lacks pick-up lines.
My cards don't transfer. Only my characters.
Same for me, but it's better than nothing, I guess..

And I won't be touching UFO for a while.. Because I doubt it's nowhere as easy as I'd need it to be (Think: Imperishable Night on easy/normal)

Top Bottom