• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool possibilities! *MAJOR DISCOVERY found=vid on front page*

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
THE FOOTSTOOL

We all know what the footstool tech is, right? We have seen what sheik and pika can do with it but what about samus? Its been over a year since brawl arrived and we have found NOTHING amazing about footstooling except for the basic footstool gimp to ledge hog. WE NEED TO FIND OUT SOMETHING ELSE!!!! Lets put our heads together and get to work!!!!!

EDIT: so far its been three months with this topic open and NOTHING has been discovered.......Is this ANOTHER dead end? Sakurai, what have you done........

EDIT 2: its been 10 months since this thread was started and a foot stool discovery has been made!!!!! THIS **** has not been fully disected yet so there may be MANY MANY MANY more apps for this tech. HOLY ****!!!!! But what is this tech( i have the video on my desktop right now)? SECRET! I ll give you a hint.......it rhymes with.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCAaOhH6UUg

EDIT 3: And here is it!!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzWk_cxO4aw
The detials on how to do it can be found in the description box.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I agree with you on that one.
well the only thing I can think of that'd actually work is a bomb. Or possibly an UpB
I seriously doubt anything else will hit maybe the bomb thing could produce a D air set up to jab lock. similar to links vid
I'ma go try it out.

Xyro77

I agree with you on that one.
well the only thing I can think of that'd actually work is a bomb. Or possibly an UpB
I seriously doubt anything else will hit maybe the bomb thing could produce a D air set up to jab lock. similar to links vid
I'ma go try it out.
well we first need to figure out how we will SET-UP for a foot stool. Once thats done we can figure out what to do OUT OF a footstool(which is easy as crap).

We also need to figure out if the footstool is the BEST option for that situation. If not, then dont even mention it.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Hmm good point.
walking off a platform. making BF even better for us. Rainbow cruise, Hell anyone this a platform we can walk off onto someone and foot stool.

now you said the next part is easy? how so?

Xyro77

Hmm good point.
walking off a platform. making BF even better for us. Rainbow cruise, Hell anyone this a platform we can walk off onto someone and foot stool.

now you said the next part is easy? how so?
now i HAVNT tried this because i want to learn a SET-UP before i attempt to combo out of a footstool but i THINK that a falling U-air to UP+B would work out of a footstool or maybe even.....dare i say it......a bomb to something else. I dont want to even consider ANY of this untill we find a RELIABLE footstool set up.

But to what you said, walking off of a platform to footstool some one? If that was viable i would have done better walking off and u-air to UP+B. see my point? We need to CREATE situations where FOOTSTOOLING is the best option for a situation, then we can decide what to do after we footstool. Ya dig?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Lol I hear you, and yet I keep saying walking off. the only viable reason to do a foot stool would be if we found a combo taht did more damage than an falling U air + Up B
i'm going to try finding combo's that are higher than 20% and if i find any I'll post em here.
why don't you try the same or think of viable ways to land a foot stool.

OH MY GOD: FootStooling off stage set ups?

Xyro77

Lol I hear you, and yet I keep saying walking off. the only viable reason to do a foot stool would be if we found a combo taht did more damage than an falling U air + Up B
i'm going to try finding combo's that are higher than 20% and if i find any I'll post em here.
why don't you try the same or think of viable ways to land a foot stool.

OH MY GOD: FootStooling off stage set ups?
Well i AM going to a tourney saturday, i can try stuff then.

But as for off stage, the ONLY thing i KNOW would be good is if samus footstooled then tether gimped the foe. Its something But thats not really what i had in mind when it comes to footstooling.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Yeah haha I know.
why don't you jsut try it on your won wii in training mode lol.
anywho nothign hits out of foot stool but morph bomb does in fact stop you in your tracks, However your'll prolly hit the ground when they can move,. The bomb will always hit them however unless they shield it, if they don't and grab you, the bomb will break it up and you can Glide Up smash ( don't comment on this, it is the only way to hit them with anything), if they jab it'll interupt it AND you get in a free Up smash. if they Smash you, your F*****.

Also lay a bomb then SH to D air. If the bomb hits, the D air will always hit too think of it as a safety lol

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
We could try out footstool OOS for punishment, sort of like the examples shown in that DK footstool vid. The best follow-up I can think of though, is DownB, since it stops your vertical momentum.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Okay, I did that for like an hour, and I realize that there won't be much coming from this, if they know about the foot stool they just have to attack when you use Down B, if they don't you just scored 32% damage if you use a sliding Up Smash after the bomb explodes.

Feel free to try it yourself. Offstage is another story though, and maybe you could bomb, foot stool bomb foot stool ect.

btw to Foot stool after the bomb explodes is mash your Y or X button, and then Down B and then repeat. but it comes out too slow they can attack before the bomb explodes, if we had Melee bombs that'd be SO death.

Xyro77

question:

i have jumped on people in the air and it makes me do a SUPER jump while they suffer no footstool. WHat is that?

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
question:

i have jumped on people in the air and it makes me do a SUPER jump while they suffer no footstool. WHat is that?
Were they in the middle of an animation?

My ideas for setups:

1. chasing a homing missile vs an air-based opponent and foot stooling them if connects.
2. foot stooling someone if you knock them off a platform. (missile?)

anyone else?

Ravin

Smash Lord
This seems it would work well for people who SH alot like me. and even more so on IC.
Because of your used to SH Dair as to punish. Normally they would shield it or downdodge. If the IC is synced up, normally Nana's shield is a little off. So if you can pull a footstool on her and pull off a quick backair (Double jump after footstool like with ness.) It should hit them.

All speculation of course.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I don't think the B air will hit :( you jump Way too high, we need what dk has on Meta. Meta cant' do anything for a bit but Samus dones't have the same luxery :(
Honestly IMO the only way to use foot stooling is to use bombs as the first move :(

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Is there any practical way to initiate footstooling? They can still use aerials when they fall off platforms if they're quick enough. Running to them, reading a possible shield and going for the footstool also sounds impractical since you had might as well throw instead.

Only thing that slightly makes sense is falling off the stage and possibly initiating a footstool there. Even then, FF u-air or b-air makes so much more sense.

This is going no where because Samus does not have a surefire way to footstool anyone.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Mind games Son!
jsut think, if someones' facing a samus they believe we heart the falling u airs, also pretty sure you can foot stool a shielded opponent, I've done it before unless they just dropped their shield
I get a foot stool a lost actually you just got to be aware of it. and I drop a bomb then do a Sliding Up smash.
we can do a foot stool combo thing.
what works out of a foot stool, just as a general info thing. The more we know as samus mainz the easier **** will be

NO-IDea

Smash Lord
Mind games Son!
jsut think, if someones' facing a samus they believe we heart the falling u airs, also pretty sure you can foot stool a shielded opponent, I've done it before unless they just dropped their shield
I get a foot stool a lost actually you just got to be aware of it. and I drop a bomb then do a Sliding Up smash.
we can do a foot stool combo thing.
True... but what if they catch on and rather than shield, abuse the crap over the fact that falling u-air has barely any horizontal hitbox and they just f-air/b-air us? A well spaced sh-backwards f-air (or pre-emptive aerial for that matter) takes care of all u-air approaches us Samus mains love.

Can't really mind game a footstool out of that. :(

Hive

Smash Lord
footstooling is pretty bad with samus lol, i don't know if its already been said, but the only really thing I like about it is really that a fulljump footstill can triple missle (without the dj ^^)

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Samus is too floaty to do anything out of footstool. By the time she reaches the top of her jump, the opponent has time to react (stand-up attack, jump, whatever).

I've tried footstool to bomb on an aerial opponent. The bomb blows up after they have a chance to react, and you can't raigoth cancel so there's no possibility for tap lock. =/ Footstool->bomb->Dair can work offstage vs characters who have a charge upB (Kirby/Diddy/Spacies/Snake/etc.) if you space correctly (some have hitboxes to watch for before the character actually rises, and some are situational).

However, if you're looking for footstool setups then those do exist. For example, people always assume that Samus will SHUair as they approach from her top-front. SH to bait air-dodge, then footstool as they become vulnerable (though Dair lingers and has better punish options). As Rohins said, you can use missiles (and Uair) to push an opponent (a shielding opponent) off of the edge of a platform. Uair/Fair make nice follow-ups here because of their speed, but I guess you could mindgame/space your way into a footstool or Dair.

There are ways to get away with footstooling your opponent if you're creative. But if you're looking for a situation where it is your best option then you probably won't find one.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I don't see the viability of footstools.

- Samus is too floaty
- Samus has no real set ups for it. Her bad zone is people beneath her (unless they are in the air... MAYBE). People can just hit her.

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
question:

I don't know what that is, but it's frickin' awesome. High jump boots ftw.

Uffe

Smash Hero
D-tilt > uair > bair > Super Missle > Fully Charged Charge Shot

Only in Melee. Anyway, if you want a useful tip for SH > footstool/nair, then jump and nair at the same time. As a Ness main, I do this quite often against my opponents. You know, the video you have posted on the first page with Ness doing a SH > footstool/nair? Yeah, that one. Maybe Samus can't do it, but it's worth a try.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
What in the hell Uffe???
you ditched Ness for TL??
And thanks for the info, it seems plausible only because of the gargantuan hit box her n air has

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well that's the thing. I don't have a Wii at the moment, so I can't really test anything for Samus and I have no idea how big of a hitbox her nair is. So you guys will have to try this out yourselves. I'm pretty sure looking back I've done something like this. I could have been dreaming it all, but still, try it and see if you get something out of it.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Maybe Bomb first, then footstool to give it a chance to explode? Then again, after they see that once, unless much more bomb uses are discovered, it'll be easily avoided forever...

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Maybe Bomb first, then footstool to give it a chance to explode? Then again, after they see that once, unless much more bomb uses are discovered, it'll be easily avoided forever...
I officially love you and will read all of your posts regarding samus in the future.

that would work Well for a reliable way of foot stooling if we practice and get the timing down.
it would also be pretty cool to see.

I might practice this just because I'm bored, I'll do it later though, after work :)

this isn't a joke post lol, I actually think that's a good and logical reason

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think close range footstooling would be more favorable than a grab to a persons shield. I mean, really close range. It just seems that the potential to deal 32% is pretty major compared to 12% from grabbing and pummeling. But this is in the case that they dont grab you... but still, I think I'd prefer the greater percentage against them.

Anyway, setups... doesnt ftilt sometimes trip? If so, maybe waiting for that small chance, you could constantly keep your distance and properly space with it, and when they get excited after they break through your superior leg reach, you could jab cancel -> footstool when they try to grab you.... I dont know.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I think zair pushes people too far for that, plus the hitbox starts farther than Samus is.
So that would be a lot of distance to cover to get a footstool in.
I dont know, test it out. Zair might have enough stun to allow for it.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
the only thing that can cancel samus's upward momentum from the footstool is the bomb, and no matter what you do its too slow to follow up with. i've tried shdair -> footstool-> bomb, the bomb takes so long you can't jab lock, set up a weak nair to jab lock. i must be missing something, but im pretty sure this kind of combo just isn't for samus. it's too awkward to try to integrate into her game. even snake has better footstool combos..

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I don't see why samus needs to footstool though.
usually she just spikes the mess out of ya.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I have tried this before as a setup, but I simply dismissed it because the screw attack pokes through the persons shield.
Try uair on a person who is shielding and then footstool. I think there is a small opportunity for them to grab,
but I dont know how easy that is.

And n00b, tell me what it is they do that keeps the bomb from working. I am currently in Florida and I only brought my Xbox with me.
The only way Id be able to play atm is if I brought a gamecube controller to someone else who had Brawl and played there.

Hive

Smash Lord
I think footstool possibilities with samus aren't really practical in a matchup, I think just because samus doesn't really have any good options for cancelling out the footstool and getting ready to attack again, or for landing them :(, but it never hurts to discuss.... I have tried this before, I just don't see it have much potential.

In luigi's mansion though, when samus uthrows to jab lock to the other end of the screen and can grab again or w/e on the standup, if we could figure out how to turn the jab lock around I think that could have a lot of potential.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Oops... my bad. I didn't notice this thread. My search feature will not work so I just glanced through the front page. I overlooked this thread since I was in a rush.

Here is my input on Samus footstool. From the looks of it you already know what I have to say.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239308
That appears to contradict what n00b said. He said he tried sh d-air to Bomb, and it wasn't effective.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
n00bs wrong though, it is possible.

If you use the frame by frame hack, in low-mid % some footstool possibilities are there. I only tested DK, but if you U-tilt him around 40% you can do a short hop footstool after he bounces. You have about a 3 frame window to drop the bomb after the footstool. Than you have to mash A so that Nair comes out ASAP.

The effect should be; the opponent bouncing from the U-tilt, than being footstooled and just as they touch the ground your nair comes out and locks them, and almost immediately after that the bomb explodes to continue the lock AND give you a chance to run up to them and continue the lock (best option would be to just jab).

Ive only done it in realtime once, but im saying... there is footstool possibilities.... EVEN after a super missile or fully charged shot =)

Where

Smash Rookie
n00bs wrong though, it is possible.

If you use the frame by frame hack, in low-mid % some footstool possibilities are there. I only tested DK, but if you U-tilt him around 40% you can do a short hop footstool after he bounces. You have about a 3 frame window to drop the bomb after the footstool. Than you have to mash A so that Nair comes out ASAP.

The effect should be; the opponent bouncing from the U-tilt, than being footstooled and just as they touch the ground your nair comes out and locks them, and almost immediately after that the bomb explodes to continue the lock AND give you a chance to run up to them and continue the lock (best option would be to just jab).

Ive only done it in realtime once, but im saying... there is footstool possibilities.... EVEN after a super missile or fully charged shot =)
isnt the most you can get out of a lock like 60% or so(not counting a followup attack). even if it works thats only a little more than 20%. id really like to believe something like this is useful but i just dont see it happening. :(

Top Bottom