• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

goodoldganon

Smash Champion

ROY

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9122975&postcount=2223 Click here to the post that contains all the relevant Roy donwload materials.

Roy, The Marquess of Pherae has decided to join the Brawl, even though he is a little late. The more reckless of the original two Fire Emblem characters, helped jump start the Fire Emblem series in the United States!

Roys attacks are quick and powerful. Using his speed, range and power, Roy is a force to be reckoned with on the stage. You'll want to play Roy as a rush down character, always keeping the pressure on your opponents.

HOW TO UNLOCK:

Download his .PAC and select the Marth costume you have texture hacked to Roy!
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9122975&postcount=2223 This links to the required code and PAC

TIPS:

Unlike Marth, the main power of Roy's attacks is the actual blade. The majority of your knockouts will be with attacks at the center of his blade.

Marth needs to hit with the tip of his Forward Smash to deliver the KO, but Roy can kill with any part of the blade, except the tip.​

Some would say Roy is not about finesse as Marth is, but that would be the old Roy! In his time off between Melee and Brawl, Roy has practiced and has come into the Brawl with a startling new skill. Roy has finessed the tip of his sword, and now most of the tips of his sword will drag the opponents TOWARDS Roy! Talk about scary!

First you hit with the tip of his Forward Aerial...

And there the opponent is! Right in front of you, ready to be attacked!

Of course there are a few moves that don't drag your opponents inwards...but that is for you to find!​

Overall, though Roy has taken an extended break from the fighting scene, he surely hasn't slacked off in his training. Roy is a fearsome fighter ready to duke it out with the other characters. It's too bad he didn't practice that recovery though. He should have read the update...

Roy is a character that uses his sword to control the placement of the opponent to Roy's advantage. Roy's slower speed may seem like a disadvantage, but his control of his opponent by using different points on his sword come as an almost unmatched talent to any other character in the game. Though Roy will do the brunt of his killing with the sweetspotted hilt, his tip of the blade is far from useless now. Roy also is a master of the element of fire. Roy is a fun character for anyone that loves precise control of the match as well as precise spacing of their attacks.

DOWNLOAD LINK

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost...ST] Roy should be considered Gold. Have fun!

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!!! Updated GCT 5/24 at 2:44 AM EST!!

CHANGES SINCE THE LAST SET:

• Last minute gravity and damage tweaks
KNOWN BUGS AND BALANCE ISSUES:

• [*]None that I know of

TO DO LIST:

• Edit the sword swinging sounds. His sword sounds too much like Marth's.

CHANGE LIST FROM vBRAWL MARTH
Code:
HITBOX ADJUSTMENTS

Jabs (Non tipped): Down to 12 base from 20. Angle from special 20 to 55.
Jabs (Tipped): Up to 45 base from 30

F-tilt (blade): Up to 12 damage from 9. 75 growth from 70.
F-tilt (tip): Damage down to 10 from 12. Down to 75 growth from 80 and 50 growth from 40. Angle from special 20 to 110.

D-tilt (blade hits) Angle changed from 30 to 85 KBG from 40 to 58 BKB from 40 to 59
D-tilt (tip): Damage dropped from 10 to 7.

F-smash (blade): Damage from 14 to 17. KBG from 70 to 76 and BKB from 60 to 65. Angle from special 20 to 35
F-smash (tip): Damage from 19 to 11. KBG from 70 to 40. BKB from 80 to 55. Angle from special 20 to 110.

D-smash (blade): Damage from 14 to 17. BKB from 70 to 63.
D-smash (At Roy’s feet): Damage from 14 to 20. Angle from special 20 to 110.
D-smash (tip): From 19 damage to 8. Added hitstun ID. Angle from 70 to 160.
That was all the first swing. The second swing is the same junk, just slightly lower damage added or subtracted.

U-smash (tip): Damage changed from 14 to 5 Angle changed from 90 to 270 KBG from 70 to 60 BKB from 40 to 45 Changed hitbox type to flame
U-smash (blade and sides of Roy) Changed hitbox type to flame.

N-air (initial swing): Unchanged
N-air (second swing, on Roy): Unchanged
N-air (second swing, blade hit): KBG from 90 to 65.
N-air (second swing, tip): Damage from 13 to 7. Angle from Special 20 to 115.

F-air (blade): Damage from 10 to 9. KBG from 70 to 10. BKB from 50 to 90. Angle from special 20 to 45.
F-air (tip): Damage from 13 to 5. KBG from 80 to 75 and BKB from 40 to 35. Angle from special 20 to 123.

B-air (blade) Damage from 11 to 14. BKB from 30 to 35. Angle from special 20 to 33.
B-air (tip) Damage from 14 to 12. KBG from 90 to 20. BKB from 30 to 60. Angle from special 20 to 260.

D-air (hilt): 12 damage from 13. BKB from 30 to 35. Angle from special 20 to 270. 
D-air (blade): 12 damage from 13. KBG from 70 to 55. BKB from 40 to 15.
D-air (tip): Switched Marth’s blade d-air hit to the tip.
D-air (VERY tip): Slightly higher values reduced to the values above.

U-air (blade): Damage from 10 to 7. KBG from 70 to 72 BKB from 40 to 35. Added hitstun ID. Angle from 8p to 90.
U-air (tip): Damage from 13 to 6. KBG from 80 to 30. BKG from 40 to 15. Added hitstun ID. Angle from 80 to 270.

Neutral B: There were a few differences between the tip and blade hits, but I just homogenized the move all across. All shield breaks not fully charged do 1% more damage with the fire ID. The fully charged hit does 50 damage from 18 and has the fire ID as well.

Down-B: 12 damage from 8. Added Fire ID.

Side-B: Who cares? It’s getting redone.

Up-B: Up-B has 3 different types of hit. The initial strong hit, any time you connect for about the first half of the move, and any time you connect during the second half. In order their original values were:
-13 Damage, KBG 68, BKB 70. Angle special 20. Slash ID
-7 Damage, KBG 90, BKB 20. Angle special 20. Slash ID
-6 Damage, KBG 90, BKB 20. Angle 74. Slash ID.
The ENTIRE move was given one set value which is as follows:
9 damage, KBG 0, BKB 150. Angle 100. Fire ID.

Dash attack (blade): Angle 45 to 130. BKB from 70 to 75.
Dash attack (tip): unchanged

Get up attack and Grab attack: added fire

FRAME ADJUSTMENTS:
All of Roy’s ALR is set to 40%...
Except U-air, which is 20%
N-air is 25% quicker after frame 19.
Up-b frames 1-3 at 2 times normal speed in order to bypass some invincibility frames
Up-b travels 20% slower after frame 3.
F-tilt twice as fast after frame 11.
F-smash being put at half speed, then put at 2x speed, then set back to normal.
D-tilt 25% faster after frame 21. This does not interfere with the IASA frames (which start on 21) but instead allows faster actions after a d-tilt.
D-air is 20% faster after frame 10. Drops the move from 50 frames to 40.
U-smash is 35% slower after frame 2 till 21 where it is sped up by 4x the normal amount.

DISCLAIMER:
Roy has been a fun side project I plan to continue supporting. You can use codes to separate Marth and Roy, I'll post the code here soon. Roy is balanced around Brawl+ but he will never be a legal B+ character. Right now the only PAC I have is for B+, so he is kinda out of place in vBrawl. Either way, DO NOT DISCUSS BALANCE ISSUES WITH ROY OUTSIDE OF THIS TOPIC AND ONLY DISCUSS ROY IN THIS TOPIC!!

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Vid is up. GCT is gonna be up tomorrow or Sunday. This is being released early, most likely against the wishes of others but I wanted it out for the holiday. I have to fix Up-b and D-tilt among other things.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Two words: l33t ph1r3

Seriously though, this is awesome. Can't wait until it's possible to switch between Marth and Roy in-game

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Sighs. I can't try him out as my sd slot is broke and i have no way of loading textures. I hate my wii.

Anyway this is great news though. Can't wait to see the doc!

camelot

Smash Ace
A truly amazing code would let him get his moveset, and his separate slash color by choosing a certain costume.

Also, how would this work in team battles? Marth + Roy teams wouldn't be possible, would they?

timothyung

Smash Ace
Maybe we should use the buffer scale instead of the color to switch to Roy.
e.g. 0-100 Marth, 0-10 buffer 200-300 Roy, 0-10 buffer
Anyway good job.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
HYESZ!

I'll be sure to download this when a few things are cleared up:

Is the entire middle of the dair a spike? 0_o
And did you change the gravity to make him less like Marth?

...And be sure to slow down neutral B. :p

VietGeek

Smash Hero
HYESZ!

I'll be sure to download this when a few things are cleared up:

Is the entire middle of the dair a spike? 0_o
And did you change the gravity to make him less like Marth?

...And be sure to slow down neutral B. :p
dair being a spike is like saying Melee dair actually had a use. Wow if it's true lol.

Slow down neutral B? I hope you mean the current Roy one, not the original from Marth o_O

BOY THAT THING IS SLOWER THAN VBRAWL JIGGS UTILT IN START UP AND HAS THE COOLDOWN ON FALCON PAWNCH.

I'm not even joking lol, neutral B sucks in the Brawl series, it has sporadic uses here and there but never enough to try to change it, even if it's for Roy (since IIRC Blazer and SB in Melee had same frame data?).

But yeah, the charge-up time needs to slow down due to risk/reward, but to a usable amount, not Melee's "Can't let you do that Roy" length. I'm assuming this is what you really meant.

This is wickedly cool. If importing models from other games ever becomes a reality, this. will. blow. my. mind.

I mean a game where Roy might be a decent character? No scratch that, a game where Roy IS a character? Yes.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
You need to do mewtwo next. I don't care what is necessary in order for this to happen, it must happen.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
This is excellent! I'm thinking there could be a lot of creativity with this in the future. For example is it possible for characters like shadow, daisy, midna (human form) amongst others I can't think of right now to be implemented?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
This is excellent! I'm thinking there could be a lot of creativity with this in the future. For example is it possible for characters like shadow, daisy, midna (human form) amongst others I can't think of right now to be implemented?
Heres the deal. I have work in 30 minutes but I plan to have a GCT WITH Roy downloadable sometime between 5 and 6 EST. It will include the recent Plussery set, minus Marth adjustments of course. I cleaned up d-tilt last night, but Up-B and a few other things are going to need fixed. I won't lie, he isn't perfect. I want to release him to get some actual testing amongst humans, since at this moment in time my usual Smash crew is gone.

To answer Kataefi: Roy is a character we would like to add to Brawl+ but we'll have to wait and see the circumstance. That being said, if we go down the road of adding clones I would NEVER expect more the 3-5 new characters to be Tourney Legal. This IS NOT going to be Mugen for consoles. Now, the cool part about all of this is if we CAN get a code that links costumes to characters the creativity is endless. Even if we never make Shadow tourney legal, someone can make him and release him to the public for friendlies matches!

Either way, when Brawl+ goes gold I'm sure plenty of the more creative coders will have crazy ideas and characters to add. On a funny aside, as I was adding Fire to some of Roy's attacks I realized that we had effects for things like Fire, electricity, and other elements and I wanted to make Captain Planet. :laugh:

Glad to see everyone is really excited to try this. I'll do my best to no let you guys down and get that GCT available this afternoon!

EDIT: Also, read the known bugs and balance issues. I know Flare Blade (neutral B) is wildly out of control. It needs frame adjustments, but it's very tough with the way the charging attacks work. I can't just give it a universal increase, cause that will effect the stab. There is also no frame data that says the attack starts here so I can't just edit the charge. If you guys would like, I can send it you in a nerfed state where it is only doing like 25-30% but I figured everyone would be ok with the move knowing "This move is nothing more then lulz at the moment and will get balanced out"

Arkaether

Smash Ace
MUGEN for consoles! Woo!

Anyway, I think Almas said that he could have a working alt costume = alt char code in a few days.

I support the Captain Planet idea. Like 120% total support. We've even got peach's heart effects for the Heart power.

•Col•

Smash Champion
..... AWESOME.

Can't wait till that model extractor gets working.... Then we can insert Roy's model into the game... =P

Anyway, just an idea... Wouldn't it be possible to make it so that you play these "clone" characters by holding the L or R trigger when choosing their respective character? Similar to how you start off as ZSS by choosing Samus and holding a trigger down. Or actually, since we're able to edit the Character Select Screen, is it possible to give Roy his own slot?

Meh, just throwing idea out.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I remember chatting in the IRC with a bunch of players about how his sourspot on some attacks should set up for a sweetspot, it's good to see how that happened :)

Looking at the video, Dtilt looks a little TOO sexy. His Dtilt was my favorite thing about him in Melee, but that definitely needs some more BKB and KGB me thinks.

I almost want to say that he should have slightly less ALR than Marth. Nothing too extreme, but he had a faster paced SHFFL game than Marth, which was probably the one advantage he had over him :p He just couldn't really capitalize on it (seriously... the tip didn't start comboing until like 200%...)

And this is going to be a fun matchup for Ivy >:)
Can't wait to try this out though and give some proper feedback.

D

Deleted member

..... AWESOME.

Can't wait till that model extractor gets working.... Then we can insert Roy's model into the game... =P

Anyway, just an idea... Wouldn't it be possible to make it so that you play these "clone" characters by holding the L or R trigger when choosing their respective character? Similar to how you start off as ZSS by choosing Samus and holding a trigger down. Or actually, since we're able to edit the Character Select Screen, is it possible to give Roy his own slot?

Meh, just throwing idea out.
almas is working on a method to get roy seperated from marth

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
imo, Roy should get his on character slot. CSS codes are capable of creating extra character slots that link to other characters like the Polygons/Frames/Zako

•Col•

Smash Champion
Question: Does Roy still have the startup invincibility frames on his Up B like Marth does? It'd be nice if Blazer was actually a useful attack move. xD

•Col•

Smash Champion
Even with the inviciframes, the move as ****ty as a recovery. xD
Yeah.... I guess Roy can't be good at everything... xD Does his Side B help with recovery at all...?

...... Maybe I should just hold off any more questions and just wait until I can play him myself... >.>

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'd love you guys forever if you made a Pichu from Pikachu.
Pichu is already in brawl. Have you not seen that dsmash and those goggles?

Yeah.... I guess Roy can't be good at everything... xD Does his Side B help with recovery at all...?

...... Maybe I should just hold off any more questions and just wait until I can play him myself... >.>
It works just like Marth, one DB stall than up B.

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
Amazing job. But just a reiteration. Do not make him stored in a color. For multiple player uses, and teams uses. But as said, Almas is working on it.

I hope it turns out well. If this succeeds, people FOR SURE will have another reason to try/play this game.

Top Bottom