• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some grab frame data

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is the first frame on which the grabs hit for the whole cast. It should be handy to figure out which of your grabs are best and how they compare to other characters.

Character: Standing grab, Running Grab, Pivot Grab
Mario: 6, 12, 11
Luigi: 6, 12, 11
Peach: 6, 6, 13
Bowser: 9, 10, 9
Donkey Kong: 8, 10, 10
Diddy Kong: 6, 10, 8
Yoshi: 17, 11, 10
Wario: 6, 10, 8
Link: 12, 14, 15
Zelda: 12, 11, 14
Sheik: 6, 7, 8
Ganondorf: 7, 11, 10
Toon Link: 12, 14, 15
Samus: 17, 17, 19
Zero Suit Samus: 16, 16, 16
Pit: 6, 10, 9
Ice Climbers: 6, 8, 8
R.O.B.: 6, 9, 10
Kirby: 6, 10, 10
Meta Knight: 6, 8, 7
King Dedede: 6, 9, 7
Olimar: 11, 11, 11
Fox: 6, 11, 9
Falco: 6, 11, 9
Wolf: 6, 11, 9
Captain Falcon: 7, 11, 16
Pikachu: 6, 9, 10
Squirtle: 6, 8, 9
Ivysaur: 13, 13, 13
Charizard: 6, 8, 10
Lucario: 6, 8, 9
Jigglypuff: 6, 10, 10
Marth: 6, 9, 9
Ike: 7, 12, 9
Ness: 6, 8, 6
Lucas: 13, 16, 15
Mr. Game & Watch: 6, 9, 10
Snake: 8, 11, 9
Sonic: 6, 10, 10

I might update this with durations (on whiff) and pummel data later.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
ahaha, so pivot grab is a no for peaches, at least speed-wise. Nice of you to get the frame data for everyone.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Is the pivot grab a regular pivot grab? Or is it retreating pivot grab? (look at Bengalrz thread) or is it same frame data no matter what?

You mean to tell me, mario and luigi's pivot grab comes out at frame 11? >_> Wow, I always harassed pivot grabs thought it was pretty fast and long ranged too lol.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
All the pivot grabs should be the same (retreating pivot grab is just doing a sliding trick while doing the move "pivot grab"), but I just did normal ones. I don't think, at the most fundamental level, there are any types of grabs other than standing, running, and pivot.

My method of gathering data was to simply test several times in frame by frame mode.

Also, while pivot grabs aren't necessarily fast, they do seem to generally have nice range and recovery (on whiff). Here's the duration data for Mario's grabs:

Mario: 29, 39, 35

Okay, Mario's pivot grab has mediocre frame data across the board... but at least it's faster than his dash grab!

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I actually didn't know Toon Link's pivot grab was a bit longer.

Maybe I should have.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Could you add lag of the grab if missed? Starting from when the “grab box” disappears to when your character can do whatever.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
All the pivot grabs should be the same (retreating pivot grab is just doing a sliding trick while doing the move "pivot grab"), but I just did normal ones. I don't think, at the most fundamental level, there are any types of grabs other than standing, running, and pivot.

My method of gathering data was to simply test several times in frame by frame mode.

Also, while pivot grabs aren't necessarily fast, they do seem to generally have nice range and recovery (on whiff). Here's the duration data for Mario's grabs:

Mario: 29, 39, 35

Okay, Mario's pivot grab has mediocre frame data across the board... but at least it's faster than his dash grab!

Well, I'm not gonna argue with you. Mario is a medicore character in general, so I shouldn't be surprised. lolol. Though, I always heavily relied on his grab game honestly. I just didn't know the huge gap between him and the other chars.

and massive lol @ Zss frame data.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Loads of characters are better of sheild cancel grabbing than dash grabbing.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Peach has the weirdest grab frames ever. She has the tie fastest regular grab and dash grab, yet her pivot grab is one of the worst. :dizzy: I never really use pivot grabbing that much anyway, and this list is encouraging me to continue with that.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Interesting how Bowser has a faster pivot grab than a large portion of the cast. With Sakurai's balancing logic I would have assumed he was just slower all-around.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
ZSS's grabs still make me one sad person. I see Kirby's grabs frames are pretty sweet, I knew his grab game was nice (average IMO). And Snake's standing grabs seem faster than frame 8 during an actual match, guessing it's just me.

Those are all that piqued my attention, since those are my characters.:p

B!squick

Smash Master
ZSS's grabs still make me one sad person. I see Kirby's grabs frames are pretty sweet, I knew his grab game was nice (average IMO). And Snake's standing grabs seem faster than frame 8 during an actual match, guessing it's just me.

Those are all that piqued my attention, since those are my characters.:p
Well, 8 frames is faster than the average human being (I think a gamer can react faster though), which is about 13 frames.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
the hitbox duration and ending lag would be immensely helpful.

good work on getting this far though!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
can you update this with how big each characters grab range is?

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Wow, I knew C.Falcon's pivot sucked, but THIS hard...
But thanks for listing these frames, can be very helpfull in knowing your character more :).
And btw, MK's and DDD's frames are absurdly good too, makes you think Sakurai tried to fit in many little advantages to make them top...conspiracy...

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
6, 8, 6, for Ness, WTF i knew they were good, but not that good. 0_o He has the best combined score if you add all three together. 2nd is Shiek and MK

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Zelda... ouch... just as bad as a tether, but without the range.

Top Bottom